Scout
Years ago

Delly signs with Melbourne United

Reported by Ulgun:

https://scontent.fhba1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/215021890_470231787401915_1884612833812816236_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=-SgZjCFcQxEAX8CG4ZB&_nc_ht=scontent.fhba1-1.fna&oh=762bb156365795507f44232ef61beb62&oe=60ECAD93

Topic #48896 | Report this topic

Scout  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/1413249072467636226

Reply #859213 | Report this post

Ritz  
Years ago

Reply #859215 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hahah

LV uses losing McCaron to argue Melbourne aren't as big spenders compared to others;
Obvious response is maybe they have something better planned
LV criticises argument.
Then Melbourne sign Delly

Reply #859216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was hoping they'd sign a defensive-minded, pass-first PG... and Delly definitely fits the bill.

Reply #859217 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This would be awesome! Everyone loves Delly. Hustle, heart, team first PG. Please be true!

United are indeed big spenders but so are Sydney, Perth and SEM. Remember Oluc implied United weren't top spenders last season.

Reply #859222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season was Perth. They will have the biggest luxury tax to pay

Reply #859224 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Big signing, hopefully his body can hold up, surprised he's only 30.

Reply #859225 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Was hoping we could sign him at the Jackjumpers,I know we also tried hard to get him but I'm happy for Melbourne.

Reply #859228 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Having Delly in the league will be awesome.

Reply #859230 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Having Delly in the league will be awesome.

Reply #859231 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm going to find it very difficult to dislike Melbourne now

Reply #859233 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Would've been pretty awesome to see Damo vs Delly, the D and who could out hustle each other.

Reply #859238 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Delly is a true legend!

Well done Melbourne United

Reply #859239 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Well I was wondering who would be their marquee next season..
Bad luck JJs

And yeah MU biggest spenders again next season

Good for the league

Just hope JJs find someone else

Reply #859243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cmon Baynes in cairns...

Reply #859244 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Happy to see Delly in the NBL... on paper, a perfect replacememt/upgrade to McCarron based on playstyle, lets see how he looks in Tokyo though, been awhile since he was fully healthy.

Reply #859248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fully healthy lol smh

Reply #859251 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Great for the NBL and for Melbourne.

Reply #859253 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Exactly D2.0 - pleased for Delly to be coming home to his home city and family.

Great for the league

Hoping that the Jackjumpers have another marquee signing in their sights.

Reply #859256 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Not sure Delly is an upgrade on McCarron but he's a great compliment to the greatest player ever.

Reply #859262 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not sure Delly is an upgrade on McCarron but he's a great compliment to the greatest player ever.

Can I have the name of your weed dealer?

Reply #859266 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Great to see Delly in the league. But going to United hurts.

Reply #859268 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The league is looking super strong heading towards the future with players signing multiple year deals. Hoping the Wildcats have a "hold my beer" moment coming soon...

Reply #859275 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah, I doubt Delly will be an upgrade on McCarron.

United will be hoping Delly settles in his home city for the long term, like Anstey and Barlow before him. Whereas they would've thought McCarron might sign for 3 more years, then head home to Brisbane or the best offer.

Reply #859276 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Delly plays hard nosed D, sets the tone offensively and controls the pace, and makes NBL 2nd team I'll be pretty happy with that

Ie similar to what McCarron did this year

Reply #859277 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A healthy Delly is undoubtedly an upgrade on McCarron.

Reply #859281 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Based on what I've seen him do for the Boomers, I agree.

But it remains to be seen how that translates to the NBL under Vickerman.

Don't underestimate the season McCarron just had- the best of his 3 seasons with United. CG was better in playoffs but through regular season I had McCarron as United's 2nd most important player after Landale.

Reply #859283 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

Apparently 700K for Delly..I wonder what new player rule the league will make up so Melbourne can sign someone and not pay their salary like they did with Baba last season

Reply #859289 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This is great news for the league. Another high profile player returning at an age he can still contribute as a star of the league.

I'm actually glad he has left the NBA. It's better to go to another league than be left on the bench.

I'm not sure what value Delly has right now. I suppose we will see in a month's time in Tokyo. His time in the NBA seemed to be over, especially with rumours of a concussion-induced retirement. Hopefully those rumours were baseless and he has many years left in him.

Reply #859291 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A 30 year old NBA point guard with NBA championship experience and starting point guard of the Boomers at three Olympics vs. Mitch McCarron.

Gee... I wonder who is better?!?!?!

Reply #859304 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

McCarron would be coming off he bench if he stayed at United.

Reply #859306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol LV trying to play down the signing as not splashy, unlikely to be better than McCarron hahaha

Reply #859318 | Report this post

RS  
Years ago

Official team announcement confirms this as a 3yr deal

Reply #859320 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It with these conjectures about salary that I wish the league would release salaries by team.

Reply #859321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Logue writes:

"Dellavedova, who is currently in Boomers camp in preparation for his third Olympics in Tokyo, also received interest from the NBL's newest team, the Tasmania JackJumpers.
However, it’s understood the JackJumpers didn’t have the budget to land the star guard’s signature.

However, it’s understood the United deal has been in the pipeline for some time, with a contract worth approximately $700,000 on the table."

https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-melbourne-united-set-to-sign-nba-championship-winner-matthew-dellavedova/news-story/7ccd39a200d95a34d70d84e71dcb67ec

Reply #859326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly is not worth more than cotton. Cotton be like I'm the mvp and gettin 650.

Reply #859327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rip his nba career

Reply #859330 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Is that $700k over the 3 years, or $700k per year?

Reply #859331 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Delly is not worth more than cotton. Cotton be like I'm the mvp and gettin 650.

United always overpay though. Business as usual.

Reply #859332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the team announcement, they said Delly is free to continue exploring NBA options this off-season.

Reply #859333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is that $700k over the 3 years, or $700k per year?"

I'm guessing per year. $700k over 3 years would be very low for a marquee signing like him.

Reply #859334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm guessing per year. $700k over 3 years would be very low for a marquee signing like him."

And would also correlate with the comment that the JackJumpers couldn't afford him.

Reply #859337 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

700K doesn't seem that bad considering his resume, not to mention putting bums in seats and hopefully getting new viewers/members across the board. United are building their team, but also helping the NBL as a whole by signing him.

Reply #859339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this mean super agent Bruce can play himself in the upcoming Hollywood Movie? Would be great if they film the closing scenes on his career in Melbourne. What a coup!

Reply #859342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cap is close to 1.7 mill now.
Asian players don't count I believe
Marquees don’t count.
Delly won’t count.

That’s 400 Baba + 700 Delly that won’t count to cap.

Reply #859343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 - let's get one thing straight - in NBL21, the highest spender by a lonnnnnng long long way was Perth. Melb Utd would be second or third. This will be the same in NBL22.

Reply #859347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have no idea until they list payments.

Reply #859348 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

In the team announcement, they said Delly is free to continue exploring NBA options this off-season.

Thats like saying I'm free to continue proposing marriage to Emily Ratjuakowski.

Reply #859350 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United can keep an import spot up their sleeve, for use if Delly returns to the NBA.

Marquees used to count 150k towards the cap- is that still the rule?

Reply #859353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marquee players do count, Deladova would be number one and Goulding number two. Combined total wage to the cap is400k, every club has the same rules.
Surely the JJ's can’t be that poor already, if they have paid more than 120k for anyone they have recruited there paying overs.

Reply #859354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$150 for 1st, $250 for 2nd. I believe you are allowed a third at $350. The rules are the same for all clubs.

Reply #859357 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

People seem to be missing the fact Delly signed a 3 year deal with United at $700k per year, I doubt the JJ's or too many other teams could afford that.

Reply #859358 | Report this post

Nostraballmus sees Delly being named our next Boomers coach, after the Tokyo Olympics debacle. 5 year contract, next Olympics, 4 year plan to win that elusive medal.

Reply #859360 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So Delly's signing is probably in place of Landale. It sucks United buying up all the best talent year in year out but still good to see a current NBA player like Delly come back home.

LV trying to spin it as Delly not a big upgrade on McCarron is hilarious. Delly is a triple Olympian and just spent 8 years playing in the NBA including a significant role on an NBA championship team, McCarron is a nice NBL player but hardly NBA standard.

Reply #859361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if you go over the cap, where does the money go?

Reply #859362 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Another great signing by Melbourne United!

Reply #859364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"D2.0 - let's get one thing straight - in NBL21, the highest spender by a lonnnnnng long long way was Perth. Melb Utd would be second or third. This will be the same in NBL22."

Don't confuse the terminology "spent" with "value counted towards the cap".

Reply #859372 | Report this post

Hopscotch 55  
Years ago

United going to be tough to beat again in 21/22.
Great signing.

Reply #859376 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Overspend salaries are dispersed to lower spending clubs?

Reply #859377 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Perthworld Wildcats will probably be stacked later in free-agency. Be patient because once Bryce is Australian I think no NBL teams can stop them?

Reply #859381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does being Australian make a player impervious to serious injuries?

Reply #859382 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Rebounding, passing, shooting off the dribble, athleticism, speed - Macca.
Defender - Delly.
Three point shooting - even.

Time will tell I guess but Delly is going to have to hit the boards and push the ball at pace to replace McCarron and his worth on this team.

Reply #859384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron can't even make the boomers side/squad whilst delly has been a starter on the last wc and olympics teams and will be in the team again. Its clear who’s better

Reply #859386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see him come home and strengthen the league but I suspect this will be the end of dellys nba days. Considering the talk of exum has done very well at camp, delly probably looked at his cards in that he likely won't start and thus won’t impress an nba team so decided to come home for money which would’ve been close to what he would’ve gotten in the nba. He also probably noticed he struggles to get minutes (even pre concussion issues) on a shit cavs side and is still young enough that he wants to play thus leading to United.

Reply #859387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if you had just committed to sell an ownership stage in United. Oops. I guess they can change their mind, but query if you can own interests in 2 clubs.

Reply #859390 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, deluded claims from random anons,
Welcome to Hoops

Only a complete crackhead would think Perth spent more than MU
I'm sure we would have if we could have, but there just wasn't the players available.

Reply #859392 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

and yeah it's a crying shame that the JJs weren't given the budget to get Delly
Would have been the perfect foundation Captain for them

Delly is Melbourne's marquee, Reath rumoured to Illawarra, who else is a possibility for JJs to go after

Reply #859393 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Macca for me.

Reply #859397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this stage of there careers it's maca for me.

Reply #859398 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Love ya, Delly, but give me Mitch right now

Reply #859400 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My prediction would be Delly will have a similar impact on the offensive end as McCarron, perhaps another couple of assists, maybe 10 and 7.

McCarron better rebounder and pushing the break, Delly better in facilitating half court offence.

Defensively both are pretty solid, Delly a slight upgrade based on his experience guarding world class players, plus his physicality and elite hustle.

Id predict a slight upgrade overall and Delly to take McCarron's spot in All NBL 2nd team.

But its hard to say. Delly has had plenty of injuries the last few years. He'll show us where he's at in Tokyo. For Boomers sake, hopefully he's rolling!

Reply #859403 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Can he be required to wear head protection as part of his contract, to improve the chances of lasting the season?

Reply #859408 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

When you consider injury concerns, career trajectory and recent form, especially in shooting, I also agree it's not ridiculous to suggest McCarron might be able to contribute more than Dellavedova. McCarron is coming off an All-NBL 2nd team. I don't expect Delly to come back as an All-NBL 2nd team player. On an individual level, McCarron can probably do more than Delly. But Delly is an experienced high IQ player and a winner. He will make a big contribution and make everyone around him better.

Reply #859409 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Wow.

Delly doesn't need to be a stat stuffer for MU, and he doesn't need to be healthy for the next regular season (thankfully Shea Ili can relieve the starting role for stretches). He just needs to be ready to take a lead playmaking role in the playoffs with the experience and basketball IQ to close out championship games.

Given the money MU's paying, he'll be an NBL player from here and why would he ever leave MU? Huge long-term signing.

Reply #859411 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Agree rjd, I'd statistically their contribution will be comparable, but I'm hoping Delly's presence and "one percenters" will mean his overall impact is a fraction more than McCarron. That's a realistic target but I don't think Delly will be in the MVP conversation or putting up 15 points a night.

Reply #859412 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

Fingers crossed there is another a year or two of NBA in him after a healthy Olympics.

Nothing worse than a league owned big city team always getting first pick of everything.

Reply #859418 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Only a complete crackhead would think Perth spent more than MU
Cotton was on more than a million dollars.

One team spent twice the cap and didn't win the title.

We know these things.

Reply #859422 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

I'd love a source on the Cotton salary 'fact’.

Reply #859425 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

SEM would've spent big.

Reply #859427 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

Cotton was on more than a million dollars

Hahahahaha his new deal is 3 yrs 2 million so unless he is playing the third year for free how does that add up to over a million a year?.

Reply #859428 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Hopefully he's healthy and able to contribute as expected. Obviously an upgrade on McCarron (who I like very much) in that scenario.
But there is not insignificant risk that injuries will plague him and he won’t be that great.
Good for United and the league in any case, as that will bring attention and interest from casuals.

Reply #859430 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hahahahaha his new deal is 3 yrs 2 million so unless he is playing the third year for free how does that add up to over a million a year?.
It was massively front loaded due to the pay cuts.

Reply #859433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cotton was on more than a million dollars."

My understanding is that Cotton wasn't on a million dollars. He was on half of that. For salary cap purposes, his number was over a million dollars.

Reply #859441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton on 600k last season equals 1.2 million to the cap.

Reply #859445 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Are imports not allowed to be marquee players? That would have greatly reduced the impact on the cap?

Reply #859446 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, imports are not allowed to be marquee players.

Reply #859449 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Whilst similar in age it appears to me that Mitch is in the midst of his prime as a basketballer where as Delly seems to be on a decline.

I doubt with Dellys concussion issues we will see that same defensive hustle we are used to, his career was almost over 6 months ago because of this.

My 2 cents...Mitch gets the nod just. Taking everything into account they are very similar but Mitch just has that little bit more explosiveness and athleticism.

For those suggesting Perth were the big spenders last season must be forgetting how much MU paid Landale on top of his release from OS. He and Cotton would cancel each other out & you can't tell me Mooney, Norton and Blanchfield were anywhere near what Hopson, Goulding, McCarron were on.

Reply #859464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the last time, there was no release from his euro contract, the big money for a release is to the nba. Cotton by being an import took mast of the Perth cap, or he was heading to Europe. Perth supporters got stop thinking there players play for small change, they spent the most of all last season.

Reply #859465 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

#464 Olympic selections would suggest otherwise

Reply #859471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM would've spent big.

On who??

Reply #859475 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Mitch Creek is on $500k+ a year, Broekhoff wouldn't have come cheap, Gliddon was in the last WC team, Sykes came from the EuroLeague, Moore is ex-NBA, Wetzell was previously signed with a team in Germany etc

Reply #859478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your first three Australian players can be marquee, the total cost to the cap 750g. Add two good imports and the rest budget basement players and you don't go over the cap much if at all.

Reply #859480 | Report this post

Hopscotch 55  
Years ago

To sum up... Perth may (I highlight may) have coughed up the most $ due to a higher income man outside the marquee setup, seeing them pay more luxury tax..

..but in terms of $ that actually hit the pockets of players, Melbourne paid more, by that metric, in total.

How about that?

Reply #859483 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Incorrect.
You can have upto 4 Marquees, but each one over the first reduces your imports.

Reply #859485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that's Perth’s choice, you still spent more than all. You can buy one Porsche or three holdens, it’s your choice, you want depth you don’t overpay your top guy.

Reply #859492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all those writing Delly off, he is only 30.

Reply #859496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line - Melbourne spent much smarter than Perth

Reply #859497 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Zodiac spot on, plus Pineau had just signed a contract extension after finishing top 5 in NBL in Rebounds and blocked shots. That extension will kick in this year so perhaps previous deal not so much $$ but should be this coming season. Or do extensions with your same club sometimes result in additional $ immediately?

Reply #859501 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Mitch Creek is on $500k+ a year, Broekhoff wouldn't have come cheap, Gliddon was in the last WC team, Sykes came from the EuroLeague, Moore is ex-NBA, Wetzell was previously signed with a team in Germany etc
Creek never opted out, he just took the pay cut. Wetzell signed in Europe only after signing with SEM, not before.

Reply #859512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Creek never opted out, he just took the pay cut."

How do you know he didn't? There was a tweet from Olgun saying that several players re-negotiated their deal after it became permitted.

Reply #859514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wetzell signed in Europe only after signing with SEM, not before."

From Wikipedia:

On August 16, 2020, Wetzell exercised the European out clause in his contract and was released by the Phoenix. He signed with Riesen Ludwigsburg of the German Basketball Bundesliga on August 19, but rejoined the Phoenix on October 14 after experiencing passport complications with his move to Europe.

So he signed with Phoenix before and after his Europe contract.

Reply #859515 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He rejoined the Phoenix under his original contract.

Reply #859595 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:40 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754