Dude
Years ago

Allstar report Men, south vs North

The pizza was late but it was good.

The game was OK; Billy Hopkins should have been arrested for impersonating a coach.

Topic #489 | Report this topic

2 scoop  
Years ago

yes I agree, left before pizza but heard Scott and Bill let a 18pt buffa disappear, North played zone which didn't help..... but heh they were playing against Loveday and york

Reply #3977 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

North beat South by 3 for those interested. Darren top-scored for North I think. Vandenbergh had 15.
For South, Sullivan and Campbell had 20ish. Campbell had 9 assists I think? Forman had 15, 11 and 6 with 2 alleys.

Probably way more 3-point shooting than suitable for an All Star game -- I think some more dunks on the break would've been good. On the bright side with that, a lot of those shots were falling (both teams around 40% 3P%).

Lots of smiles and mucking around (Bradley vs Rees 3P shoot-out, etc). Smaller crowd than I'd hoped, but a good event. Could run the Mens All Star game on the Saturday, and then promote the Sixers scrimmage on Sunday and try to get a different crowd for that who might not follow ABL? Not sure.

Great to get it off the ground and hopefully it's the first of many to come.

Reply #3981 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Wasn't able to make it but reports from players who played were all good. The publicity machine was in reverse though - have to agree that the Sixers need to support this if it is to get off the ground. Start planning next year now and hold the thing at the Homes Dome, with ridiculously cheap tickets of $5 each. If you build it, they will come.

Reply #3991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Campbell top scored a relaxed 25 with Sullivan a 17. It was obvious thaT South took a laid back approach to the game, it was nice to see a few big and respected names smile on the court and provide some entertainment. This was much different to the night before of a thirty point thrashing by the South women over North. Who really wants to turn up to a game like that?
Overrall, thankyou to the players for providing some light off-season entertainment.
Unfortunately the organinsing and planning seemed to be a bit lazy, with the girls and guys knockout games proving to be more of a hit and turned out a much larger crowd.
A few suggestions to the planning committee: ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE!! No one knew about it and most of the people who did know was because of word of mouth.
Incorporate the Knockout finals into the program and make it a real festival of basketball. That way you are guaranteed some sort of crowd into the competition.
Possibly change the ALL-STAR game to a mixed competition, that way it is more enjoyable and people can see the fun side to basketball.
I have other ideas, but i think that will do. Otherwise a great intention for a great cause.

Reply #4406 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

Sorry people, that last anonymous was mine if anyone wanted to know.

Reply #4407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754