Anonymous
Years ago

Entertainment Idea!

Here's an entertainment idea taken from the NBL site:

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=2498

The Crocs have basically cloned the Australian Idol competition and used it as their three quarter time entertainment. They call it "CrocIdol" (love the name).

It has nothing to do with basketball, but I would find it entertaining. Anyone else?

Would it be too late to get this going (Potsie)? Would there be any interested participants with talent (or without)? Three quarter time is too short for this, but half time might be an option.

Topic #4893 | Report this topic

Paul Bauer  
Years ago

I just saw it on the NBL site too. It's not a bad idea as a one off or over three home games, as if you did it every week I think you'd struggle for acts. Maybe instead of "Idol" we could make it more like the old Red Faces from Hey Hey! Then they can sing, act, dance, make complete fools of themselves. Might encourage more people out on the court?

Reply #56317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red faces sounds good, just warn everyone for a few weeks maybe and get a flyer on the sixers website and one here too. Then see if we can get some celebs to come in and score them.

Do it for three weeks, the winner each week gets something - probably phillips, then on the fourth week have a final for the winners of each week have an even bigger something for the prize.

Reply #56319 | Report this post

how about filling up a small kids pool with jelly on centre court and getting the sixers dancers to wrestle fans for cash prizes? any takers?

Reply #56325 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

No Idol format please! It's already well past saturation point. Bad idea IMHO. Even the Red Faces stuff is cringworthy in a not very entertaining way.

Basketball related tests of skill and luck usually work ok. That's why people are at the game after all, and it gives the fans a chance to a) win something b) get on the court c) become a short-lived legend with their mates if they actually win something d) cheer for their own if there's a big winner. You can't go wrong with the classic half-court shot format, reducing on successive misses to a 3, free-throw and then lay-up with diminishing value of prizes.

Alternatively the money could be better spent elsewhere and forego on court half time
"entertainment" altogether. How much of the money and effort organising, hiring and staging half time stuff is wasted because people are getting food, going to the toilet or the bar (not in that order), simply ignoring what's going on on the court and talking amongst themselves - waiting for the stats and discussing the game.

Instead, use those resources to compile and show video highlights on the big screen along with some detailed half time stats, perhaps include a side-by-side comparison of the marquee players, make a note of trends in the stats, point out who's hot. Give poeple who know the game the info they need to talk to their friends about what's happening and help people who are merely there to watch the pretty colours understand the game a bit more. All the stuff that good TV coverage provides. Other scores from around the league could be shown on a ticker.

What do other (successful) clubs / leagues do?

Reply #56327 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

Or there's the jelly wrestling. LOL! At least it would be cheap to do.

Reply #56330 | Report this post

switchboard  
Years ago

I miss the half court shot for the car and that Murray the Magpie!

Reply #56337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do the sixers even have a mascot anymore?

Reply #56376 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

If it was singing, maybe I could get up and sing one of my favourite songs!

Reply #56377 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is it just me or is Mr Ryan the Cacofonix of Hoops SA. You know, the bard from Asterix who finishes every episode tied up somewhere to stop him singing?

No, the Sixers don't currently have a mascot.

Reply #56379 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Isaac, that is awesome! I give you permission to give yourself a ball!

And as a belated one, I think RJ needed one when he said that the North blonde girls would be waiting for their text msg from me!

Reply #56384 | Report this post

In light of BASA's financial situation, maybe the mascot could be a RUBBER CHEQUE! Cos it always BOUNCES!

Reply #56387 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ball for king of old school

Reply #56406 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

anyone know why there isnt a mascot?

Reply #56419 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #56431 | Report this post

Boti  
Years ago

anyone know why there isn't a mascot... and care to explain why??

Reply #56438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No.

Reply #56443 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

LOL. Shit Isaac you make me laugh sometimes.

Reply #56445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Daniel McInnes the funny guy that used to walk around like Austin Powers. he was great.

Reply #56465 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

What about a mini 3-on-3 or 5-on-5 at half time between some random members of the crowd against the members of the NABVY SEALS?? i think this would be extremeley entertaining and many people will enjoy it!!

Reply #56506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The seals would be no contest!

Reply #56526 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

yes we should find out what happend to the mascot

Reply #56592 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754