Anonymous
Years ago

VJBL Under 12 Size 5 basketball

Are under 12 going to a size 5 basketball next season?
What age groups will use what size next year.
At what age group will boys go to a size 7 and girls go to a size 6?

Topic #48948 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous.
Probably because coaches are trying to get 10 year Olds shooting 3s and can't make distance.

Reply #860990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VJBL will do what BA tell the States to do. I'd think right now this is the last thing Basketball Victoria are even thinking about.

Reply #860991 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

smaller ball = more points = more positive feelings for kids learning the game = more interest in the game

Easier than bigger rings, anyway

Reply #860995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's happening, it’s a good thing, get used to it

Reply #860999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I rather a coach teaching kids how to shoot with good technique than a coach who spends the majority of their time teaching how to pack the paint.

I like the size 5 ball idea.

Reply #861005 | Report this post

Coach_A  
Years ago

I believe this is to comply with the the FIBA guidelines which are applied almost everywhere else in the world:

- U12 sz 5 lowered hoops

- U14 sz 6 regulation height

- U16 sz 7 regulation height (girls stay on sz 6)

Reply #861013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good development. Improves skills. Fairer for more kids as well.

Reply #861014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suppose everyone will get participation medals after every game to boost self esteem in case the big bad way oversized basketball didn't go through the itty bitty ring.
If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Reply #861017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But it is broken. Kids try to shoot 3s with the bigger ball anyway, form is horrible, and the game at Under 12s becomes a pack the paint exercise.

Reply #861025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone tell me what ball and if a decision has been made about next VJBL season for all age groups.

Reply #861085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U12 / U14 bit of a joke anyway. For the most part, a race to puberty. Majority of strong players at that level are overtaken pretty quickly by too age u16.

Reply #861176 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:27 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754