big v
Years ago

Does Big V can the season now?

Does Big V can the season now? What happens moving forward?

Topic #48957 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No games will be rescheduled and the season will continue as scheduled when we get out of lockdown.

Reply #861199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will vic be out of lockdown before the scheduled end of season?

Reply #861205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all love playing, but this season dragging on is tiring. Stop and start training, fixture changes and administration juggling venues not to mention how can ladders and finals be fair. Truth is who knows and how long will this go on before Big V say we are done.

Reply #861229 | Report this post

Game Watcher  
Years ago

When Big V released the last fixture update they stated that any further rounds impacted by COVID would be cancelled as the season wouldn't be extended.

Why would this change?

The only fair change would be an extra week for best of 3 finals.

Reply #861356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Altona Sports Centre, Tuesday 13th July, 8-10pm Tier exposure site, 14 days isolation for everyone in attendance. That may impact a few games if the season can continue this weekend or next.

Reply #861373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on prior lock down we possibly be free by Sat 31/7. Now based on history in door sport will be in the Red zone another week, move to orange etc so my calculation is Nbl1 and Big V done for 2021.

Reply #861388 | Report this post

big v  
Years ago

My guess it will take a few weeks for all this clear up, meaning big v COULD return end of august but players out of shape, injury risks etc... doesn't seem worth it... plus teams making playoffs over other just based off percentages when they have the same amount of wins/ losses could be a factor... what a mess this season has been. does big V declare a champion? keys and RMIT both undefeated with teams like melbourne uni winless and western port / blackburn at the very bottom, maybe there can be some moving up and down to make next year's competition a little more even?

Reply #861394 | Report this post

Game Watcher  
Years ago

End of August.... that's 6 weeks away. Could be back in 2 weeks time and still have plenty of time to play most of the games.

Reply #861502 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Big V will be back. 100%

Some games may need to be moved to being mid week games and some extra double headers.

Season has come this far... They'd be crazy to let it die off.

Reply #861536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both bogV and NBL1 should extend the season to September, ridiculously unfair to cancel

Reply #861539 | Report this post

big v  
Years ago

If I remember correctly, Big V said any further games that were disrupted by covid would just be canceled.... there are only 4 rounds left and this weekend will not happen and who knows about the following weekend with slow return to sport... I don't see how Big V returns

Reply #861548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, no way it can return.
@Jack: If it's 100% - how do you suppose the regional teams like Warrnambool, Wangaratta, Shepparton or Mildura make up those "mid week" games?

Reply #861573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would they not extend the season?

Reply #861731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bigger question, Why has there been no communication from the Big V?

Reply #861755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why have communication when all they know is that they are not playing this week?

Reply #861756 | Report this post

vic hoops  
Years ago

season is over.... 22 cases today, andrews won't open until there is 0 plus the time for indoor sports is longer. time to prepare for 2022, if that's even worth it. the way things are going, lockdowns might be the new norm

Reply #861759 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

based on vic hoops doom and gloom, do we award teams championships or not?

Why not extend the season on?? what is stopping the league finishing in November??

Metro Teams play midweek games where possible. Youth League to play midweek games was always a thought the only issue being stadiums being available with midweek senior programs.

Reply #861773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All these sides are committed to play weekends,why not play it in a tournament form to catch up games,will test depth of teams but isn't that why you have 10/12 players,surely they could manage 3 or 4 games over a weekend,do it a couple of times and share venues

Reply #861777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's going to be a staggered return to "covid normal", won't be until mid-august at best, no chance numbers indoors allow for a "tournament".
That's turning it into a 9 or 10 month season.
Call it. Move onto 22'.

Reply #861798 | Report this post

new name please  
Years ago

Going into the season, it was known it would be one unlike any other and that has been the case. I would assume they just call it rather than try for something that is rushed, especially with the risk of injuries from players not doing anything for weeks on end to jump right into finals. but... it's all wait and see at this point

Reply #861880 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

At 15/16 games I think you have to try and do something or award something - what would RMIT and Keysie think? Even the top 4 for SCW.

I think surely there is a finals series if we get out of this in 2 weeks time

Reply #861883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta feel for RMIT! Cop a ton of hate on this forum then put together the best season in Big v and get screwed over.

Reply #861920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big should hold a bracket tournament using all the teams current records to rank them.

Reply #861921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because that will surely fit with COVID protocols after lockdown

Reply #861922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what's the point of restarting at this point? guys are mentally exhausted, out of shape, injuries are going to be a higher risk...

Reply #862015 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

The league is still looking at playing after whatever many weeks we are and unless it is near 6 weeks or more (which i doubt maybe 1 -2 more) then we will have an ending to the season.

They recognise teams are tired but it needs to be completed.

Reply #862049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happens to the YL teams that have players going to College. Sides that have been strong and deserve their position on ladders go into finals depleted. I know in the big picture not the end of the world but lots of considerations to think about.

Reply #862055 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

YL teams always lose players to college early, that happens every year for the unlucky few just like the teams who get guys back from college late in the season. Imports wages i could see potentially and timings if they are off to another league overseas but thats about it

Reply #862062 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

The league needs to finish it off. They have come this far and teams have pushed through despite lock down and setbacks galore.

Reply #862083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any reason why it can not be pushed back?

From memory Big V was willing to go through to November if the season got going?

Reply #862084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 are looking to extend their season by 2 weeks

Will Big V do the same?

Reply #862596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would be a backflip if they did

Reply #862618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:41 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754