Stevy
Years ago

Brief & comprehensive review to the Olympics and Predictions

There are 12 teams participating in the Olympics. To advance to the quarterfinals, the first two-placed teams advance as well as the two best third-placed teams.

Group A
Iran, France, United States, Czech Republic
Group B
Australia, Germany, Italy and Nigeria
Group C
Argentina, Japan, Spain and Slovenia

The most balanced and competitive group for me is in Group B followed by Group A and C. Australia are the Favorites to finish 1st in Group A but they will face a tougher and reinforced Italy with momentum. The USA are the favorites despite their short preparations and their recent performances. Spain is poised to continue on their run as gold medalists in the world cup.

Floor and Ceiling for these teams
Iran - Iran looks to be the weakest team in the Olympics. Most of their players are old now especially their golden trio of Haddadi, Bahrami and Kamrani. They lost to Spain miserably twice in their preparation games. Recently they also lost to Japan twice. Conclusion, It is hard to see Iran replicating their near upset to Spain in 2019. Thus, Their floor is 12th while their ceiling is that they can at least beat any of their group opponents for one quarter. I expect them to be blown out.

France - France may have lost twice to Spain in their preparation games but they could have easily won those twice as well. As always they have a very solid roster. Expect a strong team that has no weaknesses that I can think of per position. It will come down to coaching and execution for a team like this. Floor for them will be the Semis while their Ceiling is Gold.

USA- The most talented roster in the competition. This team is worth hundreds of millions. If this was a one on one game then no team can come close but as always basketball is a team sport. They looked horrible in their exhibition games and it all thanks of their 1 week preparation before their games. They have the shortest preparation out of all teams. In their first two games, their offensive sets was awful. All they did mostly was poor forced inefficient isolation attempts. In their third game against Argentina they looked a whole lot better even if all they did was some basic Pick and Roll sets. I will still take that over a contested iso jumper. The short preparation really hurts them because most of these players are the number 1 or 2 options in their teams. They are not used to settling picks, role player stuff. Chemistry on the court has to be developed fast. Love and Beal is now out and they are replaced by Mcgee and Keldon. Most people would probably like this development but in my opinion this team got better because for me they need role players. Mcgee was a player under Kerr and Keldon was under Pop, so expect more fluidity. Floor will be silver and Ceiling will be Gold. Nothing less but Gold will be a failure, no matter how much I dislike their preparations I will still have to consider their prestige and talent so they should at least for me be in the final game but I do believe that they will underperform and meet a similar fate to the Canadians in the OQT. I won't be surprised if they got knocked down to the bronze medal game.

Czech Republic - This is a team that proves that talent can be overtaken by chemistry and effort. I never expected them to be the winner of the Victoria OQT. I always thought that Canada or Greece will win it. At that time I leaned more to the Greeks than the Canadians because of their chemistry and preparation but I at least thought that they would meet in the finals. Czech Republic surprised a lot of people including myself. They are in the Olympics for a reason and they deserve their place. I can see them at least in the quarterfinals while their ceiling will be the semis.

Will continue on this topic later with Group B and C.

Topic #48963 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Spain squad was nowhere near the best available recently.

Reply #861418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Japan beat France

Reply #861427 | Report this post

TheDawg  
Years ago

Brief and comprehensive at the same time... Brilliant -:)

Reply #861434 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This is how I see the groups playing out

USA
France
Czech
Iran

Australia
Nigeria
Italy
Germany

Spain
Slovenia
Argentina
Japan

Crossovers

USA/Australia/Spain/France crossover with one of Slovenia, Argentina, Czech, Nigeria or Italy.

You can only face teams from outside of your group so for Australia I'd say Slovenia would be the danger team.

Top four will likely, in my opinion, remain the four who topped their groups. Australia play Spain in another semi final classic in my opinion.

Gold medal game could be any of the top four teams. I think very little separates them.

But of course there could and will be surprises.

Reply #861435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got

USA
Czech
France
Iran

Australia
Nigeria
Italy
Germany

Spain
Slovenia
Japan
Argentina

Iran, Germany, Argentina out.
Top 2 3rd place, France, Italy. Japan unfortunate.

Reply #861436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Japan underated with 4 players back.

Reply #861437 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

With the way USA are playing right now, might need to revise that first place standing in their group. Theyre down to Spain but they just don't look up to the task. I would have expected them to have improved more than what we're seeing so far and their first game is against France. They could very well drop that game.

Reply #861443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France suck if you watched them today.

Reply #861444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Italy being underestimated imo.

Reply #861448 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

and I think Nigeria is being over-estimated (despite the promise they've shown so far) - Germany and Nigeria to battle for 3rd place, too close to call

Reply #861449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pace vs old Spain is key

Reply #861453 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Sorry for the delay guys, I was very busy with my college commitments (Physical therapy is a b*tch) and errands.

We will now continue on Group B and C

Floor and Ceiling for these teams
Australia - Australia are one of the contenders for the Gold medal and rightfully so. They have steadily improved their placings throughout world competitions. This roster is blessed with talent, they can shoot, they have chemistry, they have defense and in a nutshell they have all the tools to come out as winners of the Olympics. They didn't even play Mills, Dellavedova, Baynes and Ingles and they still managed to outclass Nigeria. You know that you are one of the elite teams in the world when they can easily shrug off Thon Maker. This guy would be a star on lower ranked teams. I expect Australia to do really well in the competition, like France it will all come down to execution and coaching. Floor will be the semis while their ceiling is Gold.

Italy - Italy as always is one of the elite teams in Europe. They play very unselfishly and their perimeter shooting is on point. From 1-5, they all can shoot. This is the team that beat Serbia for a reason. Now plenty would say that Serbia was dealing injuries and etc but you have to consider that Italy missed many of their players as well like Daotome and etc. When you look at it that way than you should expect a strong Italy team in the Olympics. What is interesting for Italy is that Gallinari will be the only addition for this roster. Floor would be the Quarterfinals and their ceiling is Semis.

Germany- Germany is terribly inconsistent especially on their offensive and defensive executions, now duh I know that they won their OQT in Split but if you watched all of their games live in the OQT and I did then you will know exactly what I mean. It could be a preparation issue or etc, I am not that knowledgeable about their length of time together but one way or another they won and they deserve their spot in the Olympics. Their roster is very formidable, all of their players play in the Euro league along with NBA talents like Wagner and Bonga. I expected Dennis to be part of their roster but based on articles he can't join which is a blow for Germany. I expect a more cohesive unit than the one in Split. Floor for them would be the Quarterfinals and their ceiling is Semis.

Nigeria- This team is very athletic, they are arguably the 2nd most athlethic team in the Olympics. Their roster has 8 NBA players, now they may not be all stars but having solid NBA role players are a huge benefit. Nigeria mostly emphasizes on Defense especially with Mike Brown as their coach who is known for his Defensive systems in the NBA. Now I know that they got trashed against the Boomers but they also made some tough 3 pointers against them which is crazy and their is no defense to better offense. I expect Nigeria to run a very thin rotation, I won't be surprised to see Mike Brown play only 7 guys or 8 guys because he is known to run thin rotation in important games in the NBA. Nigeria will no doubt learn from their mistakes against Australia, they should be a better team once the Olympics Start. Floor for them would be the Quarterfinals and their ceiling is Semis.

Spain - Viva la EspaƱa! This team has been a solid and elite team for years now and despite their age, the way they play basketball is not reliant to athleticism. They beat Iran and France twice and they lost to USA earlier by 7 points. They finish 4-1 in their preparations. What more can I say about this team? They are no doubt one of the contenders for Gold. I expect them to at least make it into the Semis while their ceiling is Gold.

Slovenia - Slovenia looks to ride their momentum from the OQT to the Olympics. Their variation of the 5 out offense is suited for their best player Luka. What is interesting for Slovenia are unlike the other teams, they did not participate on any preparation game. They choose to practice which puzzled me, I guess they have some new sets to surprise teams or they value the players fatigue and recovery. Please comment if they did play a preparation game because I could not find anything. Honestly it would not surprise me if they end up winning the gold because it is really hard to assess if teams could stop Luka. Their 5 out offense is really effective that even if Lithuania double or triple teamed Luka, he will always make the right play. Aside from Luka their players are no joke also. Their roster is full of veterans that have played in the NBA, Euro League, Euro Cup, Liga ACB, basically in the top European level. I expect them to at least make it into the quarter finals while their ceiling is Semis.

Japan - Japan! This is honestly the strongest Asian team that I have seen since the Yao Ming era. They have been developing since 2017 under Lamas. I have seen all of their preparation games and my god they are impressive! They are undefeated in their games with Rui! Without him they still looked impressive! They managed to hold a record of 3-3 without Rui, They beat Iran Twice while losing once, won against Hungary and lost two games against Finland and Belgium. With Rui they dominated Belgium, the way the top teams in Europe would do and Defeated France by 6 points. They have the team that can end the drought of an Asian team not making it in the Quarterfinals. Floor would be them losing all of their games while their ceiling is the Quarterfinals. Nothing against Japan because obviously I like them but I am going with history and I hope that they will prove me wrong and rewrite history by exceeding their expectations.

Argentina - Argentina, what can I say? They are the Silver Medalists of the world cup. Like always they always look poor before the competitions because even in 2019 they also lost some preparation games. Honestly even if they are one of the elite teams, I think they are the weakest elite team like even if they are one of the contenders they are the weakest contender. I know it doesn't make any sense but there is nothing against them but because of their history of having great and strong rosters, this year's team is not that good compared to their previous rosters. They still have some great talent, they have 4 NBA players and their roster is full of players with elite experience. Like Always they are well coached and they have been solid together. I don't know, I just believe that Argentina will let people down this year. I hope that I am wrong but I am leaning towards my intuition. Well I was surprised with their win against Serbia in 2019 and they deserve all the credit. I could be wrong It is not like I am some god. Floor would be the quarter finals while their Ceiling is Semis. Does not mean that they could not win it all, I just think that in my opinion they will fall down this year.

Reply #861473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do feel like our group will only promote 2 teams as I believe it is the most even.

Japan has some good players and has done well in the warm ups. but I don't think they have the fire power to match the other 3.

Iran as well should lose quite badly. Letting 3 teams from those groups qualify to the next round.

Australia can beat anyone not named the USA at their best.

USA is beatable. But we need to be playing at our peak & they need to be caught off guard.

Reply #862312 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:02 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754