RS
Years ago

Melbourne sign NZNBL MVP Dion Prewster

Member mail:
"
We want you to be the first to know that NZNBL's 2021 MVP Dion Prewster has signed with Melbourne United on a one-year deal.

Alongside being crowned the NZNBL MVP, Prewster also won Defensive Player of the Year, was named in the All Star Five, took home the Keith Carr Trophy for most outstanding guard, as well as the John Macdonald Trophy for the most outstanding New Zealand guard.

Prewster enjoyed a monster season with the Wellington Saints, averaging 18.7 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.3 steals per game, leading his team to top spot on the NZNBL ladder.

The 195cm shooting guard has played over 50 games in the NBL across three seasons, most recently with the Sydney Kings.

We will be sharing the news with the public via our website and social media soon.
"

Topic #48976 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #861646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McDaniel replacement, this is a solid low budget signing, United are a very well run organisation despite all the hate they receive on hoops.

Reply #861651 | Report this post

sharod  
Years ago

Feel so excited to hear another Kiwi standout signing in NBL. He deserve to return to the league with a strong performing season in the NZ NBL.

Also looking forward to Tanne Samuel and Dominique Kelman-Poto's call up.

Reply #861652 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I was always surprised he didn't get another shot with an NBL side (especially the Breakers). I thought he showed some glimpses with the Kings all those years ago, although saw much less burn his second season. Agree with anon #651, good budget McDaniel replacement so now the question is which other team's top import from the 2020-21 season will they drop a zillion dollars on to pry away?

Reply #861660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a better player than McDaniel plain and simple

Reply #861661 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

I IMAGINE THIS MEANS NO MORE BABA

Reply #861669 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United, not quite spending big this time

Reply #861671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#661 nah he actually isn't . NZNBL numbers don’t mean much.

Reply #861673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly is on 700k

Reply #861674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Film don't lie, stats don’t always tell the full story watch basketball he’s a better player than McDaniel ... always bringing up just stats and not film go watch basketball not just reading a damn box score

Reply #861675 | Report this post

GoBirds  
Years ago

I'm based in Wellington and he's balling right npw. You can discount NZNBL numbers all you want but he in great in the community and carries the team well. He's a good signing and if they got him for a bargain that's even better.

Reply #861676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you GoBirds !

Reply #861678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodanovich killed it the year before in the diluted bubble. NZNBL is NBL1 at best. I watch plenty of film. He isn't that good. Bring great in the community is cool. Doesn’t mean much on court

Reply #861679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nznbl is better than nbl1, nbl1 has not caught up to seabl level yet. Vadonovic did not look out of place last season, not a starter but very ok. Prewster is a very good pick up and quality person. He is obviously a budget import and that's how Melbourne stay with in cap limits. Good luck to him.

Reply #861681 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Still a good signing.
Didn't set world on fire at Sydney but looks to have improved.

Reply #861682 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

By next year's playoffs, United will have

Barlow- 38
Newley- 37
CG43- 33
Prewster- 32
Delly - 31
Ili - 29

It's an old team, so I would've rather given the 11th man position to a younger guy who might develop over coming years, rather than someone in their prime without much upside.

Reply #861683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a kiwi so not an import right?

Reply #861684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's a kiwi so not an import right?"

Correct. American-born, but has played for the Tall Blacks.

Reply #861685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#681 you sounded sort of like you knew what you were talking about until you said "budget import". Oh my!!

Reply #861690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prewster plays his butt off, but from his last stint in the NBL he is an end-of-bench guy at best. Always felt when he was with the Kings if he could just become an average 3-point shooter (hit those corner 3s) he would be a serviceable player, as he's a decent defender. We’ll see I guess. He’s a good guy so hopefully he’s improved some.

Reply #861693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When's Julian Jacobs signing???

Reply #861697 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Great signing by United.

Reply #861742 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

United have an ageing squad, but they have White and Peatling who look like promising young Aussies. Hoping Jack White comes back strong from his injury!
Not sure what is happening with Sam Short. He looked ok, but had limited court time.

Reply #861747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lual-Acuil / Peatling
White / Barlow
Import / Newley
Goulding / Prewster
Dellavedova / Ili

Anyone I'm missing?

Reply #861750 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Triplett (DP).

Is Baba coming back?

Reply #861768 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perhaps unsurprisingly I've heard there's a lot of interest from Japanese teams to bring Baba back.

Reply #861770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopson was signed to two seasons I believe.

Reply #861775 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

I'd be concerned if JLA is starting. Very talented and had a great season but in my opinion his strength is the 20-25 minutes max off the bench. Foul prone and ball dominant.

I’m hoping they go with a high quality import 5, as without the lineup appears to have regressed significantly from last season:

Import / JLA
Peatling / Barlow / White (inj)
Hopson?/ Newley
Goulding / Prewster
Delly / Ili

Age of the lineup does look risky.

Reply #861794 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Great for Zac Triplett as the DP to learn some moves from Goulding, looks like he has a good natural stroke from range.

Reply #861795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hopson was signed to two seasons I believe."

Just checked the press release from last year:
"Melbourne United are excited to announce the signing of star forward Scotty Hopson on a one-year deal."

I think Prather was signed for two years the season prior, but was obviously released.

Reply #861796 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Barlow is basically an injury replacement for Jack White

Reply #861833 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I'm a United member and I do agree that JLA does struggle at the defensive end when tired.

United definitely need a import center like a Ben Moore or Shawn Long if they can afford him.

Reply #861838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spatial Jam's Contract Tracker seems to be a good spot for checking who signed what and when.

Reply #861842 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

When will Breakers announce the new signing?
It's on spatial.

Reply #861848 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I'm hearing United are interested in David Okwera. Will definitely be a DP since he still needs to develop. United only need Hopson and a big.

Reply #861853 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Matt Walsh has said he'll probably announce both of NZ’s imports next week and didn’t deny they are Peyton Siva & Frenchman Hugo Besson.

The Breakers owner also said Tai will be starting at SG to take some pressure off him and allow him to defend and score at a higher rate.

He also didn’t deny that Corey may sign elsewhere with the clubs blessing due to how stacked their backcourt is with Siva, Tai Webster, WMW, Bach and Besson.

Walsh also confirmed Delaney will be staying with NZ for this season as the date on his Euro out clause passed.

Reply #862041 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754