Isaac
Years ago

36ers sign Tad Dufelmeier

General Manager of Basketball Jeff Van Groningen remarked, "We watched Tad closely last season and felt he was really growing into a role in this league. His work ethic is strong, the talent is there and we are glad he chose to join us".

Head Coach Conner Henry said, “As a club, we're really excited to welcome Tad to the team. He’s an exciting young player that’s going to push the pace and really give some solid minutes behind Mitch McCarron. We really liked his growth last year and he played exceptionally against us in two games so we had our eye on him. I'm looking forward to working with him daily.”

Topic #48987 | Report this topic

Shaq  
Years ago

Good signing. Kid can really play.

Reply #861942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see that Tad got a gig. Shame on the Jack Jumpers that they didn't look at him.

Reply #861943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Chairman of the Adelaide 36ers, GK, welcomes Tad to the Club, "Tad announced himself to 36ers fans last April with his outstanding performance against us in Cairns. We are delighted that he now joins us as an Adelaide 36er himself, and look forward to similar strong performances as we build our program."

As we build our program. What? No lines in the sand anymore???
So now it is more of a journey of discovery... A journey is more important than the destination type thing...

Reply #861945 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Fantastic signing the Sixers good offseason continues.

Reply #861946 | Report this post

BobnCat  
Years ago

It would be nice, just every now and again, to get a South Australian kid in.

Reply #861947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They did and Mudronja is now gone. It's professional sport mate get over it

Reply #861948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who from SA is deserving just asking so I keep an eye for him

Reply #861949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro Sports generally wants 2 things. Success and fans (leading to sponsors, ticket sales, tv deals etc). Not sure what pro sports has to do with this whole cluster &$^$.

Reply #861950 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

A good signing. Sixers backcourt already better with McCarron, Hannah, Ķing and Dufelmeier with Dech able to play some guard too.

Reply #861951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#950 it's pro sport, they care about winning. Not local content

Reply #861954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacob Rigoni deserves a gig once he's back from college

Reply #861956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is that going/looking?

Reply #861957 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Isaac White would've been a nice back up signing but Dufelmeier is a better player anyway and we've done to death the local guy at the end of the bench who isn't up to it we carried Doyle for years then Mudronja.

Reply #861960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's amazing that Adelaide punters like local players but when JJ’s punters want local it’s about winning.

How Tasmania, JJ’s missed out on this kid for Weeks is a feat that can’t be described, good signing by Sixers, building very nicely and should go ten deep which as Perth and United have proved is the way to win championships.

Reply #861964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns and Tasmania recruitment of locals is not looking great. Is it lack of money or the coaches not winning players over.

Reply #861965 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Haven't seem much of him but looks like he could provide that import like spark off the bench and provide a good balance with McCarron.

I think Adelaide have done the right thing this off season by being active players. I think JVG does think outside the square a bit. And it's not like Adelaide have been hopelessly deprived of decent rosters in recent times. And i don't agree with the SA flavour for the sake of it as i don't think that's how the NBL works anyway in terms of generating fan interest. And we don't have the players to do it even if we wanted to.

Reply #861968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because kids from the city sat on the bench at the AEC last season or the 6ers choose not to bring them in does not mean the kids won't have success at the pro level in other teams in NBL/Europe/USA. They will.
It just means those making these decisions can't see talent/develop/recruit these kids.

History will be the judge of those making these decisions just as it judges those that ensured Ingles and Newley never played in Adelaide.

If the 6ers have success and win the hearts of fans, sponsors, and the community then we will take our hats off. Very, very doubtful this will happen based on last season or this offseason.

Reply #861969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They aint going to win with Hullard Mud and Doyle either

Reply #861970 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Another terrific get by Adelaide.

Hilarious the nobodies who attack Jeffs recruitment, do you even know the guy? Has a better resume than nearly all GMs in the league and has a great relationship with players and fans alike, he is building a terrific team in Adelaide and they will compete without question if Henry can get them to gel. Injuries derailed last season and the import situation.

I know him quite well, he draws big name players - remember the nobodies who said "he has all the money to get them." When he was at Sydney, yet he has proven he can get them at Adelaide aswell without the coin.

Let me tell you the amount offered for McCarron by Brisbane and Sydney was more than what Adelaide offered, yet he chose to sign with Adelaide. Isaac could have gone to Europe on more coin, chose to stay.

Adelaide looking great and very proactive on recruitment.

Reply #861973 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Heard the same thing MD, I'm still confused why people continue to bash JVG. No one is perfect, but it seems especially this off season that he has done a good job. Besides hearing he just puts names together, not sure why people attack him.

Reply #861980 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Jeff is terrific, getting Bogut to Sydney when Melbourne had lined him up for years was a great move.

If Jeff was at Sydney still guarantee Delle would be a King, they have a good friendship. He has a knack for drawing players to the team he is managing.

The GM from Melbourne could be a monkey and still throw a team together that competes, all they do is out bid everyone for players that will fit. No tactics just throwing cash around because the league owner pumps money into United every year.

Reply #861982 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What's your hot tip on the import they’re after MD?

Reply #861986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#969 two players that are in there mid thirties has got nothing to do with recent recruitment. I do feel for all local players but you have to be good enough. I believe that sometimes second rate imports hurt the locals more.

Reply #861988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Heard the same thing MD, I'm still confused why people continue to bash JVG. No one is perfect, but it seems especially this off season that he has done a good job. Besides hearing he just puts names together, not sure why people attack him. Generally because where ever he's been he has failed to deliver. How did he go last season? With the Kings?. He delivered in Brisbane when he was spending ABC's money. The Tigers? Past form says he hasn't delivered. That's why.

Reply #862006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Part of the JVG bashing is because he does lean on the old mates act, the signing of Gaze ahead of Vickerman was totally stupid, sorry Andrew. He also talked the kings up as potential winners from as soon as they got there, brought in some shit imports and two player I know off was let go even though Gaze and some of the players wanted them to stay.
His journey at Sixers certainly looking much better, he's a decent person and I’m hoping Sixers do well.

Reply #862009 | Report this post

Phobos 55  
Years ago

Yer - Let;s stop all this JVG bashing - he's great at attracting players - unforgettably rarely results on any team success, but he's also good at defecting blame / excuses for a certain period, before he packs up and does it all again the next club

Reply #862012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG - the silver tongued devil!

Reply #862013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The talk around town is there is a perception that it's the wise man in the East coming to help the poor team here in Adelaide.

Adelaide has a rich history of success, achieved it in certain ways and you need to appreciate the culture of the program, city, and what has made it so successful in order to help the program continue to succeed here.

Like has happened a few times in history the current owners and management will move on and those in the city here will be left to rebuild the program again.

Reply #862014 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Fair call both 006 009 just wanted to see why. I think the last 2 season have been promising, local wise last season we got Isaac, Sunday and pinder (who was meant to be pretty sought after) and obviously giddey. This off season speaks for itself. It would be unfair for myself to comment on other clubs as I wasn't into the nbl as much back then.

Reply #862016 | Report this post

Hopscotch 98  
Years ago

Is this another 'Line in the Sand' year for the 36ers?

the beach is starting to look like a Zebra!

Reply #862017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunday and Pinder worked well ;)

Reply #862019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#014 unfortunately you do not have any players like Brett Maher hiding in the cupboard anymore.

Reply #862021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you comparing Dufelmeier to Mahersie - WOW. Ignorance is bliss.

Reply #862022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can attract good players, that might be because a shitload of money gets chucked at them.
Henry in his second year definitely needs to improve, hopefully has worked together in getting the players he wanted/needs.

Reply #862029 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" those in the city here will be left to rebuild the program again."

Do “those in the city here” even exist?

I think Adelaides position right now is through a significant amount of LK assistance. I don't think there’s all that much capital in Adelaide or enough interested wealthy people locally.

Unless you’re convincing the Shahins to be more than sponsors, I think LK/GK is as good as it gets for now.

Reply #862035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#022 maybe learn to read.

Reply #862037 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Clearly rate Tadlaide higher than Mud... pity didn't see enough of Mudly to make credibull compassion...or Tad or McVeigh... big expectations bring it on...

Reply #862057 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Oh no Adelaide is accumulating a very likeable team, say this isn't so

Reply #862059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may be likeable but will it be winnable is the most important thing. No one likes Conner Henry or JVG.

Reply #862077 | Report this post

Hopscotch 98  
Years ago

Owner needs to open his wallet and invest in these team or we'll be locked in the bottom half of the ladder like we have for most of his ownership - bring back the good old days

Reply #862078 | Report this post

Youngest MC  
Years ago

I would suggest ADLs obsession about getting young SA Talent is from seeing guys like Sam Mac move interstate and play well, Isaac White hasn't performed yet but another to the list

And if we go back further guys like Joe Ingles, Brad Newley, Ben Madgen, Maynard, ect
Obviously some older names but the same issues of a young talent not getting picked up and played by the 6ers is a consistent issue.

Reply #862113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. It is commonsense. Invest in young, local talent. Provide the opportunity. And that investment will be rewarded. Sam Mac there in Adelaide, Isaac White, or Jook, would play for less than interstate teams if they felt they were wanted and had been invested into. The cost base is lower at home for these guys, their support networks there.

Small town team. You would safely assume fans and sponsors want this, and you'd get better imports there.

You could then invest those resources into your imports and/or current young prospects - the Yaak's or Rassmussen's.

It will be very interesting to watch Mudronja be successful interstate over the years and Adelaide now have to pay a premium to get him home.

Reply #862115 | Report this post

Looking forward  
Years ago

Good to hear some support for local players.

The 6ers have a long history of a strong connection to the SA basketball community. Someone coming in, eg, JVG or Henry will not have any real appreciation of this.

Players like Daly, Harris, Rasmussen, Rigoni, Spear etc, should be encouraged to compete for a spot. In reality, the last 2-3 spots rarely have much impact on the team's success anyway.

Equally, with the ones now in their mid twenties, maturity and time to develop will often made them more ready to compete in a tough, mature comp. This could be the right time to give them a go.

For many young Aussies, 4 years at college is not quite enough to have them ready to step up to the NBL. For most, their college competition will be a significant step below the NBL.

They need a further 2-3 years playing in senior competitions to give them the chance to mature. By the time they are 25-26 years thy are better equipped for the NBL.

Spend the money on getting the best imports / Aussie stars, and fill the bottom end of the roster with SA locals. It is a formula that has worked pretty well for the 6ersin the past.

Reply #862122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Mudronja leave ?, if so that was his choice. Which team has signed him in the nbl this season?.

Reply #862124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's why the locals who are any good go elsewhere because the 36ers pay them peanuts on the end of the bench and don't play them. But currently there are very few locals worthy of NBL. The local competition is rubbish. Someone like Harris dominates, that in itself shows you were it is at.

Reply #862125 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Anonymous above, that's a very good point and you're making me think more and reconsider the potential flippancy of my previous posts on this subject. But if that system got in the way of winning on the basis you want the best available player at each position, would fans still demand this? Or would we want ownership to be a bit more aggressive?

Look, I would love a team littered with SA talent, but who exactly would you choose ahead of the current recruits?

But it's a good point to make about our system failing SA juniors and there's no doubt that club has made woeful errors in the past in regards to recruiting and developing SA players.

I'm in favour of the best internal basketballers filling all the spots in the professional competition, with local DPs working towards getting better.

I thought it would have been great to see Newley back. And as long as his signing didn't impact our ability to recruit others financially, i wasn't bothered if he was paid more than most agree he's worth now. But i think he still has gas in the tank, and probably would have help ed add depth to that position most agree we could use more help at. I was dissapointed Adelaide didn't make this happen if reports are true he was keen to return. I thought this was a fantastic scenario to a well known SA athlete and there's something fitting about him finishing his career in Adelaide. But everyone on here was against any attempt to bring an SA guy back home. And then occasionally amongst all the positivity of having a very decent off season, you see posters frustrated at this lack of SA targeting, when it's just been announced we've secured probably the two biggest gettable free agents in the country. I say gettable because Landale likely isn't realistic and Delly was a surprise signing you'd think only Melbourne had the means to make happen.

Reply #862126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For over a decade people on this forum have discussed the poor quality of male basketballers coming through the system.

This has been clear by the results overall of our Boys teams, especially as opposed to our girls.

It should be no surprise to anyone that there is a lack of numbers coming through that are capable of playing at NBL Level. Hulland and Hoppo are examples of recent State performers who are currently nowhere near NBL standard. Mudronja has been given an opportunity and clearly hasn't impressed on the training court to get more court time. McDaniel is one that seems to have slipped through the system interstate, but there's certainly no other recent examples of the 36ers ignoring local talent. There just isn't local talent.

Reply #862130 | Report this post

Hopscotch 98  
Years ago

Henry, JVG and Kelly have no interest in local talent - minimal engagement with local community while this trio run the show

Reply #862136 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Why would you go for local talent when a better player is up for grabs? What mindset is that? Duffellmeier is a far better choice than Mud any day of the week.

They are looking for players that fit the system. Duffelmeier is a great back-up for McCarron.

Reply #862138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously all at super different points in their career but the 3 best local young talents I think that have a future in the NBL would be rigoni, rasmussen and yaak

Reply #862147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of the guys not in the NBL that are local you'd need to throw the Mayen kid at Nebraska in there along with Harris playing in the NBL1C.

Reply #862148 | Report this post

Hopscotch 98  
Years ago

The whole Mudronja thing is as confusing as hell - not sure how anyone makes an assessment on whether he can play or not - even when season dead and could not make finals, still basically never gave him a run to see what he might be able to do. why bring a local kid into the system, sign him fr three years, not play him and cut him early. probably a bog reason why the local basketball playing community has little interest in the 36ers. rarely get a chance to be involved, and when do, get burnt.

Reply #862150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They see him at training every session every week. That is probably the reason he didn't get a run. Plus he was a hang over from Joey and CH obviously didn't rate him at all

Reply #862152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Likely didn't help that at trainings he wouldn’t have shown anything new compared to josh giddey given that he’s almost just a budget version of giddey. A big point guard that can’t really shoot but passes and finishes well

Reply #862153 | Report this post

Hopscotch 98  
Years ago

CH didn;t rate him, but played Pinder constantly, then released him - no strategy at the moment

Reply #862158 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The difference being Pinder was a big unlike Mudronja and we needed Pinder out there to offset the defensive liability that DJ is. Mudronja wasn't needed just another local at the end of the bench to warm the hearts of members, a waste of a roster spot just like Doyle before him.

Furthermore Pinder again unlike Mudronja was not released, he only signed a 1 year deal and it's been suggested for big money too around $200k. Got to try and get something out of that investment.

Reply #862164 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It's not all about the locals as Perth in recent times have only had Hire, Jarvis, Wani and LT as locals and have been unable to get Gliddon and never managed to get Worthington.

Perth have a history of having local DPs that did nothing and their careers fizzled out in favour of predominantly Queensland talent so I'd suggest that Adelaide not keeping the best locals may be a sound strategy if they aren't up to standard.

Thankfully we have more teams than a few years back and more roster spots so we can fully assess and appreciate the talents and hard work that those on the fringes are making to get roster spots and Tad in particular has impressed and deserves what opportunity he's received.

Reply #862179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best local product over the last few years was Majok Deng, and we had him for 3 years.

Reply #862180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Adelaide 36ers ~ "the team for NO South Australians"

Reply #862486 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Lol.

Reply #862488 | Report this post

Deimos 98  
Years ago

Word on the street is the 6ers are going through yet another serious relationship breakdown. After the big song and dance about making Findon a permanent home, they have since come to loggerheads with the new owners and are scouring the suburbs looking for another h9me before trading starts next month.

Reply #862489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the Karma Bus may have hit them head on after they aborted their joint application with the Lightning (at the very last minute) to move to an upgraded Wayville.

Reply #862492 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I'm sure teams do what they can, but it's a tough ask balancing needs against availability.
And even when you give locals a go, they often move on.

Reply #862498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear back looking at Wayville.

Reply #862506 | Report this post

Love the 36ers  
Years ago

Just to let you know the 36ers signed a contract last week to stay at Findon which is now to be known as the 36ers Arena.

Reply #862673 | Report this post

Nix 70  
Years ago

I thought it was announced months back that they had singed on to some agreement to Findon

Reply #862778 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It was, said that it would remain their training place and admin home and that it's new name would be Adelaide 36ers Arena.

Reply #862783 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Should play back there too. Should never have left, until the riverbank stadium is completed (if ever).
Titanium is at least a purpose built basketball stadium
With good viewing from all seats.

Reply #863024 | Report this post

Pug 63  
Years ago

The "Love the 36ers". Good to know the Club's spin machine is monitoring this forum.

Reply #863026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#024 and 20 years past it's use by date for elite sport

Reply #863030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Millions being spent on it if approvals go through. Still won't be international standard but good enough for some NBL games.

Reply #863031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if"!, parking is a joke, no public transport to speak of other than a bus....Um no thanks

Reply #863032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ent Centre is ok, but we can't seem to win there

Reply #863037 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

037 let's hope that changes this season with all the good work the head office has done with recruitment

Reply #863076 | Report this post

Nix 70  
Years ago

"The good work Head Office have done with recruitment"!!!!!! we get than rammed down our throats every year (from Head Office) - yep rarely turns into a good ladder position .....

Reply #863124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stop being so negative Nix 70 -haven't you heard that the 6ers are 'drawing a line in the sand'!!!

Reply #863147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ent Centre is ok, but we can't seem to win there" Ummm that's not the fault of the arena!

Reply #863176 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754