Anonymous
Years ago

Olympic basketball chat (non Boomers games)

Iran played the Czechs closer than expected this morning? Or was it just garbage time flattering the scoreline?

Topic #49003 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I'll be keen to see how the yanks bring holiday, booker and middleton. If all good to go then I think holiday will be key for them, essentially serving as their Thybulle/ Delly on the defensive end and being a far superior offensive player to both. Considering they have a big game against France I wouldn’t expect much of the new guys but pop did say he wants to see how they’ll be out there.

Reply #862313 | Report this post

Mat B  
Years ago

USA - France tonight will be interesting.
Hoping for France to snag an early upset.

Reply #862315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Italy v Germany on now.

Reply #862316 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Iran played the Czechs closer than expected this morning? Or was it just garbage time flattering the scoreline?

The latter - last quarter was 32-17 in Iran's favour.

Reply #862317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France have been terrible if you watched the exhibition games.

Reply #862318 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Germany 8/13 from three in the 1st quarter

Reply #862320 | Report this post

Mat B  
Years ago

>>France have been terrible if you watched the exhibition games<<

Watched them play Spain 2 weeks ago and they were pretty good.

Germany look tall. Could trouble our front court.

Reply #862321 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Spain and France seem to be the only teams to have traditional bigs that can dominate a game.
Most of the US bigs aren't that tall, plus Durant, Lillard and Lavine will take 60%+ of their shots.

Reply #862322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Germany lead by three at half time, solid game from both sides. Refs call fouls, nothing let go. Very tough group. Wagner looking long and talented in the 4/5 for Germans, will be tough match up.

Reply #862323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies as there's a thread about this already, but will any non Australian games be on telly or to watch them will we have to go to streaming. Initially I thought they might at least play the US games because of the nba audience but I’m not 100% sure about even those.

Reply #862325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How bad is this commentator? An unsporting foul? Claims Gallinari was on the end of a facial dunks when he was 5 steps away not contesting.

Reply #862326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything is on 7+

Reply #862327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good, game, commentary fine for me, no screaming. Germans by four 3/4 time

Reply #862328 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Germany have completely fallen apart.

Reply #862329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Italy by 10, Germans went iso ball, Bonga being the main culprit.

Italy will be very tough, very skilful as well.

Reply #862330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Germany appeared to have no system late in the game, just all one on one.

Reply #862333 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

USA v France on now (10:35pm) on 7 Mate. 5 mins to half time.

Reply #862510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Durant on four fouls, his defence is poor. France right back in it.

Reply #862520 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

France winning by 6 heading into the 4th. Finding their shots now and USA being beat on the boards

Reply #862521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France by six at 3/4 time. France got some seven footers, Gobert been fantastic. Let's see how the US go now.

Reply #862522 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's why Popovich wanted Love in the team to counter and draw Goubert out but he got injured.

Reply #862523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tech foul on French coach dodgey, US back in front

Reply #862524 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not a lot of IQ there from the US bombing away and missing from three while France were a man down and you could instead tie it up.

Reply #862525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expecting 7 to cut away now

Reply #862526 | Report this post

Tricks  
Years ago

Refs have kept the USA in this one. So blatantly.

Reply #862527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This commentating hurts

Reply #862528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fournier done great job on Durant defensively plus offensively fantastic.

Reply #862529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this effect boomers down the line with brackets?

Reply #862530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA in trouble here

Reply #862531 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes, if we go into the knockout stage sedded and the US unseeded we could face them as early as the quarter finals if the lucky dip goes against us.

Reply #862532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look intentional, refs could not win it for US.

Reply #862533 | Report this post

Tricks  
Years ago

That wasn't an intentional foul but lol

Reply #862534 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well. Now things got interesting.

Reply #862535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France by 7, well deserved win. Gobert , Fournier, Colo were fantastic. US to small and not used to having defence played against them.

Reply #862536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain v US game would good in the quarter finals.

Reply #862537 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

How would we feel about a Boomers-USA quarter final?

Reply #862538 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Holiday was great for the US, otherwise pretty poor performance by everyone else. Kinda funny that they lost in the end due to lillard falling on his arse.
I think McGee and Grant will be getting minutes just to get some form of intensity out there, I know he's not the greatest but surprised McGee didn’t get more of a run considering the size of France.

Reply #862539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the chances of USA going unseeded?

If they do I'd imagine there is a good chance the Boomers play USA in the knockout stage as you can’t play a team from your group in that stage?

Reply #862540 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The knockout stage has changed.

The four seeded teams (winner of each group plus best ranked second placed side) go into a random draw to face one of the four unseeded countries (the other two second placed sides plus two best who finished in third).

Reply #862541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frances size will worry Australia. Early days but France looks very good.

Reply #862542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

US should finish as the top 2nd placed team. Group C will be a mixed bag. US have two easy games and should beat Iran by plenty.

Reply #862544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lack of defence played in the nba has hurt them badly, their certainly not out of this but there dream team sides are long gone. Maybe get lebron and curry on a plane to japan. Durant still there but he's an arm first defender and gets himself into foul trouble.

Reply #862545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia, France, Spain & US should be the seeded teams. I think Italy and Slovenia will be the other 2nd places teams. Argentina and Nigeria being the third placed teams. If this is the case, our likely matchup in quarters will be Slovenia or Argentina.

Reply #862546 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Now unless the USA really shits the bed, you'd imagine they'll be the best performing second placed team in the tournament.

They'll do Iran by anywhere between 20 and 50 points, and they should beat the Czech Republic quite comfortably.

Nigeria took a 19 point L so their chance of making up enough points to be best second placed team is probably dead in the water unless they blow out one of Italy or Germany.

Group C stands to be the most competitive group of all but I doubt any second placed teams make up the points that the USA really should (and I reiterate, SHOULD) in their group. I doubt anyone in Group C beats a team to the extent that USA will likely beat Iran to.

Crossover probably will be

pot 1

Australia
France
Spain
USA

Pot 2

Slovenia
Italy
Nigeria
Argentina

If that were the case Australia would be up against either Slovenia or Argentina, which are entirely winnable games.

But as far as the USA's campaign goes, them losing to anyone is actually an absolute joke to be fair - and it's going to keep happening for as long as they throw together these unbalanced line ups and expect to win just because they're NBA All Stars.

The world has caught up a lot but not the extent that a well balanced and well organized Team USA shouldn't be able to sweep the tournament with relative ease.

Will they still win gold? Possibly. But let's be real, any loss.... ANY LOSS will in many ways invalidate that gold in the eyes of their nation and likely themselves. If they come home with gold, they'll be mocked for losing to France. To be fair, the moment they lost to Nigeria in a warm up their ability to showcase American basketball to the extent their public would find acceptable vanished.

For Team USA to deliver a result that isn't mocked, they actually need to construct another Dream Team level team. Gold alone will not satisify their public. I'd be surprised if Greg Popovich kept his national team job to be completely honest.

Reply #862547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I right in saying that France beating USA might not even be a bad thing? USA will likely go into seeded as well as France. I'd rather face Argentina or Slovenia over France in the knockout. Is that right?

Reply #862548 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

That would mostly be right I'd think, yes. We're assuming USA does what they're meant to do and get big wins but that's what I would say will happen... yes.

If we take care of business we shouldn't really face one of the truly elite teams until the Semi-Finals.

Reply #862551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do they work out who faces who in semi finals?

Reply #862552 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

In the usual course of events the USA would have had more time to prepare as the NBA finals would have been done in mid June. I don't really understand why the Olympics aren't in say September as they were in Sydney especially as the humidity in Japan is ridiculous at this time of year but that's a separate conversation.

Anyway, the point is if the USA have so little time to prepare compared to other nations who have had their core intact for some time they need to make up for it with more talent than I thought was necessary. I really thought a team of KD, Lillard, Booker, Middleton, Tatum, Draymond etc had enough talent to get it done relatively easily but that isn't the case. Admittedly Beal has now become unavailable and Booker, Middleton and Holiday have just stepped off a plane.

Apart from Steph and LeBron it's hard to think of other US players that aren't injured that could have improved this team right now.

Reply #862553 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

ME, a thing you and a lot of NBA fans always fail to get is basketball is a team game, it's not Player A vs Player B one on one nonsense the NBA serves up.

Very good players no matter how good can always be nullified in team sport. It's not helped by the fact the style they play in the NBA is up and down track meet stuff with minimal defence. That shite will get you found out in international basketball against quality teams.

The Boomers don't have a winning streak against the USA now by accident.

Reply #862554 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Umm... I am the first to tell people that Zodiac. I very well know all of that.

Reply #862555 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How do they work out who faces who in semi finals?

Random draw would also include determining the brackets. 1st seed QF winner vs. 4th seed QF winner and 2nd seed QF winner vs. 3rd seed QF winner.

Reply #862558 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

What odds can I get right now on Aust getting the USA AGAIN in a QF/crossover at the Olympics ?

Reply #862565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If 1st v 4th semi is right, and US are very likely to be 4th, is it possible we see teams trying to avoid the 1-seed? France would be favourites for that with a blowout over Iran, and the other pools more competitive. Could they sit Gobert, Fournier, Batum against Iran and try to keep it to a <15 point win?

This could be interesting to watch if it indicates what regard the Americans are actually held in. They're going to be a danger team every time they step on the floor just because of the number of guys who can get hot and take over. But if you think France, Spain or Aus are legitimately harder to beat, you'd just chase the highest seed you can get.

Reply #862567 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

We'd never tank

Reply #862568 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Finishing second doesn't guarantee getting through

That’d be such a stupid risk

Reply #862569 | Report this post

Mat B  
Years ago

>>Frances size will worry Australia. Early days but France looks very good.<<

Every team's size will worry us unfortunately.
We were completely out-rebounded last night and had near zero interior scoring.....barely set an effective screen and our low post entry was terrible.

If Baynes isn't playing well, then we need Reath to be on the floor setting screens, rolling, popping and rebounding. He can block shots too.

Our bigs last night were out-played and we can't rely on the 3 against well drilled defensive teams like the ones were going to face going forward.

Reply #862572 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"What odds can I get right now on Aust getting the USA AGAIN in a QF/crossover at the Olympics ?"

A friend worked it out for me at about 1 in 6 odds.

What would need to happen for us to face USA is either

a) Australia finishes second in the group, USA finishes as the best second placed team in the competition, they're matched in random draw

b) Australia finishes first, USA is not the best second placed team in the competition, they're matched in random draw.

In each situation there's a 1 in 3 chance the team we're randomly matched with is Team USA.

If however we win our group, and Team USA is the best performing second placed team, we miss them until at least the semi finals.

Given USA's competition is Czech Republic and Iran, it is hard to imagine they wont run up big scores that well and truly solidify them as best second placed team.

Group C is the closest in the competition so there wont be too many 20+ point wins there, and likely not from second placed teams.

Same goes for our group, except maybe for Australia again.

So while it's a 1/6 chance we face USA, I would say it is even more unlikely than that.

Our most likely crossovers are probably Argentina, Slovenia, and Czech Republic.

Reply #862573 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Every team's size will worry us unfortunately.
We were completely out-rebounded last night and had near zero interior scoring.....barely set an effective screen and our low post entry was terrible.

If Baynes isn't playing well, then we need Reath to be on the floor setting screens, rolling, popping and rebounding. He can block shots too.

Our bigs last night were out-played and we can't rely on the 3 against well drilled defensive teams like the ones were going to face going forward."

I am not sure I totally agree with this. Not saying it isn't possible, but I think our line ups and rotations will change to match the teams we're playing.

Nigeria is an athletic team, so to keep up with them we had to play less Baynes, played Kay at centre, and they were able to nullify Landale. In games against big teams, you're going to see a lot of Baynes and Landale, likely more minutes from Reath, and you might have multiple of our big guards in as well.

Nigeria were a unique proposition and we had to stretch and change what we do to account for them. Nigeria may not be the best team in the world but they're a different beast to the European teams. Our team is made to counter the European teams and not necessarily the outliers. We wanted to make our game against Nigeria a half court game but we're probably going to make the games against the European teams a running match in as much as we can.

I think we have our weaknesses but I am not thinking we just get mauled inside by these bigger teams - necessarily. I think our team is versatile enough to shift to the looks we need to.

Reply #862574 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Thanks ME that helps explain things a bit.
Boomers should just think about actual opponents though and not possible opponents.

Reply #862575 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Will the playoffs/medals be worked out as follows:

Group Stages > Quarter Finals > Semi Finals > Loser of SF play for bronze, winners play for gold?

What happens if we place first in our group and are therefore seeded, but lose in the SF? Do we get another chance?

Reply #862577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Womens

Korea beating Spain atm...
Real problem with these vet coaches thinking experience and old legs will get them an easy win. Against determined t/o prone youth that don't quit.

Mondelo, brondello, garnier all need to be shafted.

Reply #862580 | Report this post

Mat B  
Years ago

>>I think our line ups and rotations will change to match the teams we're playing.<<

I hope you're right, but I wasn't convinced by last night's coaching.
With what Nigeria presented on both ends, we were very lucky to get away with the win, had they made free throws at an under17 standard, the result could've been different.

Having said that if Baynes can regain his world cup form, and we execute better in general, it should open the floor up and generate more scoring options which will lessen our reliance in Patty going iso late in the shot clock.

France's offense was the balanced type we need to emulate.

Reply #862581 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Ah no, no second chances once te QF's begin. If we lose the QF we are out, lose the semi then we play for bronze.

Our bigs have been missing big time but Italy and Germany both played far more permineter than paint. Post catches win matches, but these days a post catch is just as often resulting in distribution than a post score. I think Italy and Germany's bigs will bother us because of their mobility and stretch the floor ability - Gallinari, Melli, Wagner will more likley drag our bigs to the perimeter and look to take them on the bounce or from 3. Baynes and Landale's may be exposed here. Reath ? Who knows. Going small with Kay, Thybulle and Ingles defending these guys may be the eway ? Anyways Goorj I'm sure is all over it, I'm sure there is a plan right ?

Just a word of warning about the Czech Republic. Dont right them off v the US too easily. They already beat the Dream Team Lite in Canada to het here, and will likely come into their Game with the USA as a playoff for their QF spot (assuming they lose to France and USA beat Iran by lots as expected). That will be a good one to tune into to methinks.

Reply #862583 | Report this post

Asthanin  
Years ago

7+ has a full replay of the USA vs France match but only a highlights package for Australia vs Nigeria.

I was gonna say "Unbelievable!" but then I realised it was perfectly believable.

Reply #862585 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Channel 7 has been shafting the Boomers for as long as I remember so it doesn't surprise me that they have a full replay of Team USA but not Australia. Gee, I mean who would have any interest in the performance of an Olympic flagbearer of all things!

It is one thing to understand channel 7 crossing over to a medal event in swimming, but it seems like they put the knife in and twisted it by not even facilitating a replay.

As for Nostraballmus and the bigs situation, I agree. I think Goorj has decided to 'go mobile' more often than to go big. In other games we will be forced to go big. I think in a way we're lucky to have that kind of versatility.

I think we look like a very different team once we start taking on the Europeans.

Reply #862588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm only watching on 7+, channel 7 been a disgrace for years, Gaze and that other clown is woeful.

Reply #862591 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I would've like to see us play Euro teams more in warm-ups. Teams like USA and Nigeria are the exception. What we have seen so far is not a good reflection of our game style.

Reply #862594 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

RJD, playing Euros (for preparing to beat Euros for a medal) sounds logical but BA have a real blockage with acknowledging Europe. Playing Spain Slovenia and Argentina to prepare for the Olympics is hardly going to make the Channel 7 news which BA seems to think is better for the game than what winning a medal would be. Much better to play Kevin Durant and his mates on their end of season trip, wow even beat them bro, that's gonna get us on the news, not working out how to close out a medal playoff game against Nando Di Colo or Sergio Llull

Reply #862597 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Spain were even in Las Vegas, weren't they? I suppose it's possible Spain rejected playing against Australia in a warm-up to maintain that psychological advantage. They have been our bogey team. Gaining confidence against them, or learning more about them, in warm-ups would've only helped Australia.

Reply #862598 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Argentina vs Slovenia on now. Pretty entertaining start. Luka up to his usual tricks. Great viewing!

Reply #862628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luka with 17 first quarter points. No issues playing the FIBA game

Reply #862633 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He is a multi-way player (as in effective in both NBA and FIBA).

The performance he put on a couple of weeks ago vs. Lithuania in Lithuania to qualify for the Olympics was remarkable.

Reply #862636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slovenia up 20

Where do they rate amongst medal contenders?

Reply #862637 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Doncic just played the best half of Olympic Basketball in recent history, his game is perfectly suited to the international style of play. 28-8-3 at the half!

Reply #862638 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Correction Doncic 31-8-3 at the half!

Reply #862639 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Doncic makes Slovenia the dark horses of the tournament - I'd prefer if the Boomers didn't have to face them. They are reigning EuroBasket champions as well.

Reply #862640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make that 31 aron

Reply #862641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity Goran Dragic isn't playing

Reply #862642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luka is the goat

Reply #862643 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

How did the 76ers match up against Doncic? Was Thybulle ever matched up on him with any success? Doncic is going to be massive for Slovenia this tournament. Slovenia are going to be a major threat this tournament.

Reply #862645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh Green would be the one to guard Doncic. Thybulle I feel is too skinny he would get bullied. Greene has the physical profile to trouble Doncic.

Reply #862646 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Doncic is exceptional. Just amazing to watch. BUT he is very lazy on defence. Have to make him work.

Reply #862647 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How did they miss that deflection?!

Reply #862648 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

There was talk of USA likely taking the best 2nd place team spot, but if Slovenia take this game out comfortably, might we see Spain or Slovenia take the best 2nd place team spot?

Reply #862649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chat from the coaches at the refs, straight out tech foul, nbl refs should take note.

Reply #862651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Donic played 76ers, Simmons would mainly guard him. I would expect Ingles and Thybulle would get the job if there was a matchup in the future.

Reply #862653 | Report this post

Frogmanbaby  
Years ago

The way Slovenia are playing today, I'd rather face USA in the next stage! Certainly not just Luka and a bunch of scrubs! Surely Thybulle would be our best chance on Doncic though you'd think?

Reply #862655 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Not like Argentina to flop...

Reply #862656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slovenia v Spain is going to be epic.

Reply #862658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs trying to make a game of it, making all calls to Argentina.

Reply #862659 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Australia is a far better defensive team than Argentina so even if we don't have a Doncic-stopper we can probably make life a misery for the rest of the team. Slovenia aren't that good defensively, either, allowing an Argentina team that I think is garbage to have 100 points of their own.

Australia needs to tidy up but if we get our act together and play how we should I'd expect us to take Slovenia by 7-10 points. Still, the crossover I want is Argentina.

Reply #862668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be shocked if USA isn’t the best second team. Czech and Iran ahead. They won’t misstep on these. I’m expecting them to bounce back and have massive wins.

Reply #862672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FYI - the Olympics is a rare treat, so I'm happy for people to create individual threads for non-Boomers/Opals games. Especially things likely to be interesting - Doncic games, USA games, etc.

Reply #862681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The opals cannot play at the tempo serbia / Canada are playing.

Reply #862693 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Any way to watch a replay of the Slovenia game?
Or do I have to pray Channel Seven decide to give a crap and add it tomorrow?

Reply #862709 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Japan look awful.

Reply #862726 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus's Power Rankings after Round 1.

12. Iran - gallant but not quite at this level
11. Nigeria - all over the place in Game 1, will improve
10. Japan - see Iran, it could get ugly v Luka
9. Germany - see Nigeria
8. Czech Republic - will trouble every one, could surprise
7. Argentina - surprisingly playing for survival re Spain now
6. Italy - won as the the less-bad team in Game 1, good sign ??
5. Australia - see Italy. Good sign.
4. USA - are they interested enough ? Possibly.
3. Spain - not out of 3rd gear v Japan
2. Estonia - can Luka play 6 x 40 min games ? If so, look out
1. France - well they beat the US right ?

Reply #862749 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

#2 would be impressive for Estonia, not even being in the Olympics.

Reply #862750 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

USA a bit high for my liking in your power rankings.

Reply #862772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Germany beat Nigeria

Reply #863184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

28-22 1/4 time against France.

Reply #863372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Normal service 51-40 to France, half time.

Reply #863378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain not looking that great, not getting pushed by Argentina. Refs still doing all the right things by Spain, that's the hardest thing to get over.

Reply #863525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the deal with FIBA's love affair with Spain? It was laughable that game. And a flopping tech against Argentina, but nothing against Spain....lol.

Reply #863527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain by 10, fouls evened up a bit towards end. US and Australia for mine at this early stage, France a chance as well.

Reply #863528 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The top four of USA, Spain, France and Australia seems to really be firming up, and that should (hopefully and most likely) be the end result once the quarterfinals are done as well.

Anyone can beat anyone on their day in that group. Australia, I feel, has yet to hit their ceiling but needs to start closing in on that pretty quick if it's serious about a gold medal. They're winning - doing well. But I think the level of offensive execution from Spain and France is a step ahead. But at the same time, we have a pretty high ceiling if we keep improving.

Spain did what Spain does. One noticeable thing is how much they struggle without Rubio on the floor. They really don't have too many other ways to create offense. I think we need to really stick our long guards on Rubio if and when we meety them. As for the game today with Argentina, they showed some of that great energy and hustle that put them in the World Cup final however... when the game draws out, the class of a team like Spain is always going to wear them down.

Moving forward for Argentina, they'll likely make the top 8 but they need to take care of business against Japan. Japan has been competitive with each team that has already beaten Argentina, and it could end up being a much closer game than people expect. I would not totally write Japan's chances off in that game.

Slovenia is a concern. They're similar to Argentina except they have Luka fucknn Doncic.

Reply #863530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs looking after Italy.

Reply #863979 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Naturally FIBA's United States of Nigeria concoction does no favours for us.

Reply #863980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Italy by 9, refs imo certainly did no favours for Nigeria. Good game though, Nigeria lack of fiba ball game still hurt them.

Reply #863983 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Can't stand this Fiba tournament. The rings seem too tight, Molton basketballs are lame. Referees are average and it seems there’s no game replays or coach challenges?

Unless there’s corruption behind the scenes, who really knows. Fiba need the ass kicking.

Reply #863994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

US started slow, on top now Durant starting to fire up. US defensively still crap.

Reply #864190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

US by 4 at the half. US should run over them now, they have so many scorers.

Reply #864191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't call unsportsmanlike fouls like in the nbl.

US now playing solid D, durant looking great. Czech playing well, no easy beats.

3/4 time Us by heaps.

Reply #864195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

US still look gold medal favourites.

Reply #864197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The states are back, looking great, pop knows what he's doing. No defence is stopping this side.

Reply #864198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Czech is elimited.
Japan still a chance to progress now if they can beat Argentina.

Germany are in as best 3rd, plus Argentina/Japan winner.

Reply #864200 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Our possible QF opponents are now either:

Winner of Argentina-Japan

or

Loser of Slovenia-Spain

Reply #864201 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Knowing the Boomers luck, FIBA will give us the hardest possible match up, because why not?

Reply #864202 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm paranoid it's all a setup for Spain to fuck us again.

Reply #864208 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

USA doing as expected- better with each game as they get to know each other

With 3 players fresh off the plane it was always going to be a massive challenge beating France.

Reply #864209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm paranoid it's all a setup for Spain to fuck us again."

I would like to see Spain in the QFs. Overcome our bogey side. It would be like breaking through the historical barrier to a medal.

Spain haven't looked that great in my opinion. Their age is showing.

Reply #864259 | Report this post

Should be a couple of cracking games today. Hope Goorj is watching

Reply #864260 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Spain haven't looked that great in my opinion. Their age is showing."

As much as I want this to be true, Spain have a habit of showing up when they need to. I thought they were too old in 2019 but they ground out a tough win against us and went on to win the World Cup. There aren't too many propositions scarier to me than Spain in a knock out, especially given their clear inside advantage. If we can control the pace maybe we wear them down over the course of the game. But they're a tough, experienced and talented side. We have to be better than we have been so far to beat them because they're easily better than any team we've faced in our pool.

Reply #864264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marc Gasol has declined a fair bit even since the last World Cup. He rarely scores inside these days.

Reply #864266 | Report this post

Yeah. We don't want Spain. Or Slovenia. I guess the Argies might be preferable but they’ll be tough too. We gonna have to be very good from here, but we can be.

Reply #864268 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't rate Argentina at all. If we get Argentina in the crossover it will be the basketball gods tossing us a bone for all the shit they've done to us since forever.

Reply #864270 | Report this post

We'll the farken internet gods are screwing me over, stream for the Argies v Japan not working here. Farken.

Reply #864271 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Is anyone else having trouble watching the ARG-JPN game on 7Plus? My feed is stuck in half time replaying highlights before eventually buffering. Refreshing the page and restarting the browser has done nothing.

Reply #864272 | Report this post

Yeahs it's rooted. Just the bball to other sports are working. I reckon that commentator has kicked the plug out of the wall or something. Better be fixed for Spain v Luke tonite !

Reply #864273 | Report this post

Working again now

Reply #864274 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Spain start defensively in a box-and-one on Doncic.

Reply #864309 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Boomers scenarios:

Result of ESP-SLO / Possible AUS opponent

Slovenia win = Argentina 50%/Spain 50%
Spain win by more than 12 = Argentina 50%/Slovenia 50%
Spain win by less than 12 = Slovenia 100%

The last scenario is ridiculous but is due to FIBA's strange treatment of the #2 seed.

Spain win by exactly 12 = both ESP & AUS would have the same points differential so the tie-breaker is number of total points scored. Currently AUS 259; ESP 169. So we would want Spain to score over 90 in this unlikely scenario to avoid seed #2 and a shot at Argentina.

Reply #864311 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Doncic with 3 fouls (two offensive) in the first quarter.

Reply #864319 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Donic now back in, 5mins left in the 2nd! That's ballsy to sub him before the half

Reply #864332 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Italy are making a comeback!

Reply #864998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not for long.

So far all unbeaten teams go through, one left, boomers.

Reply #865001 | Report this post

Good game. When FIBA are forced to choose they don't choose Italy.

Reply #865004 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So our bronze medal opponent will be the loser of France-Slovenia.

Reply #865007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gasol brothers retire from Spain.

Reply #865013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China v Serbia women a tough physical struggle. Both teams playing well. China really showing they're legit.

Reply #865320 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754