D2.0
Years ago

Justin Simon? (to Perth?)

Had a solid season and was a deserving winner of the Damo.
So I was a little surprised Hawks didn't move to re-sign him.

Does signing Trice indicate that Simon won't be back for the Hawks?
Given the way Goorj often ran with a small backcourt, it's not inconceivable that he would want all 3?
Or did a desire for a dedicated PG push him towards Trice?

It's been reported that Simon's Dad supposedly made a Twitter or Instagram post, indicating that Justin was heading to Perth to join Cotton. (I did see a screenshot, but can't find it now.)

Others have commented on the apparent comradery between Cotton and Simon. Not sure what the history is?

I wonder if this idea predates Trev's departure?
It was my understanding that they were looking for a import combo guard to come off the bench, backing up both Norton and Cotton.
If that's still the plan, then Simon would be a good option.

Topic #49013 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no

Reply #862852 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

If true, I don't understand this signing.

Perth already have Blanchfield and Travers at the 3.

They need some bigs

Reply #862854 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

What Aussie said. Although he could backup the 2 spot but Simon may well stay in Illawarra.

Reply #862855 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

so the Wildcats could have the DPOY and the guy that should have the DPOY and no one wants that? Travers showed he can play 1-4 so he'll get court time

Simon or Blanch start other comes off the bench at the 3 and Simon could play some 2. anything to get Bryce a couple more min rest each game is good

Reply #862879 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I thought that Simon was signed at Illawarra as a 2 and played almost out of position all season on,y that he can play 1-4 or atleast defend all those positions so whilst I wouldn't want him being my primary ball handler, I'd much prefer Simon than DeShon Taylor who was also rumoured to be coming to Perth.

Those saying that we need some bigs are spot on but Simon wouldn't be the most expensive of imports so hopefully that means some funds are left over for a Cam Oliver type impact import but time will tell.

I'm all for Justin Simon coming and you'd imagine that he'd make Blanchfield better as they'd go at each other in training every day.

Reply #862904 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Would think he just doesn't fit in the Cats current lineup.
Cats have Cotton, Blachfield, Travers, Shervill at 2 & 3 currently so time needs to be invested in the two youngsters, he's not a 1, 4 or 5 and hasn't got a jump shot to provide spacing.
Import 1-2 and a 4-5 gotta be their targets, no matter how good Simon's defense is and that he seems like a Wildcats type player.

Reply #862928 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Firstly, the only reason this has any currency, is the post from his Dad. (I think he posts as BigKen something) so maybe somebody with Twitter or Insta can find the post.

But that said, he'd be a perfect fit for the Cats, almost exactly what they were looking for.
Their starting backcourt is set, but they need quality backup, and they were looking for an import to fulfill that. Bad News, Machado isn't defecting to come off the bench, LOL
Simon is a SG, who can play and defend from 1~3.

Yes, another pure PG would be handy, but we also don't know who their locals are going to be. I wouldn't discount White going around again.

Shervill is a 3, maybe a 3/4. He's got a decent outside shot, and can fill-in at the 2 if required, but that's not his primary role.
Travers is harder to pigeon-hole. With his speed and length he can defend the 2, but offensively he's a skinny 4. Needs to develop his outside shot at this level.
Point is that we've been a little shallow at the 2 spot, and with Steindl and Lo Buluk gone, it definitely needs attention.

But yes, the other question is why Hawks haven't re-signed him?

Reply #862939 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Would like to see Perth go for this type of Line-up...

T.Waters (Celtics 2way)/ M. Norton
B. Cotton / J. Simon (Hawks)
T. Blanchfield / L. Travers
J. Duran (Ns) / J. Wagstaff
J. Motley (KBL) / M. Majok

Reply #863519 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Well he's apparently not returning to the Hawks

any idea where he is at the moment?

Reply #864615 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

No idea

Reply #864625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would love to see motley in the nbl

Reply #864628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This might have been likely with Gleeson. New coach might have whole different style - you cant necessarily recruit and instruct the coach to play a particular way - They are the coach.

Cats were good on defence last season but lacked scoring options. Justin I dont think the right fit for a cats who need more scoring off the bench - and reliable scoring at that.

Reply #864639 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754