Scout
Years ago

JackJumpers to sign Russian Nikita Mikhailovskii as Next Star

"Nikita Mikhailovskii, a 6'8 Russian wing who was named VTB young player of the year, will sign with the Tasmania JackJumpers of the Australian NBL as part of their Next Star program, a source told ESPN."

Not sure if legit - if so could be a good get.

Topic #49017 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Means Mcveigh playin pf

Reply #863041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'1 J.Magette(i)/6’0 J.Weeks
6’2 J.Adams(i)/6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
6’8 N.Mikhailovskii(ns)/6’7 C.Steindl
6’8 J.Mcveigh/6’8 F.Krslovic/6’7 J.Bairstow
6’10 W.Magnay/local c or import or ap

Reply #863043 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Pieces coming together - fair bit of money ball going on but....liking it.

Will be fun to watch!!

Reply #863044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'1 J.Magette(i)/6'0 J.Weeks
6’2 J.Adams(i)/6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
6’8 J.Mcveigh/6’8 N.Mikhailovskii(ns)/6’7 C.Steindl
Import//6’8 F.Krslovic/6’7 J.Bairstow
6’10 W.Magnay/local c or ap

Reply #863045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl drops way down list

Reply #863046 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

JJ's might be a bit small but damn athletic

Reply #863047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gapare, oljawuna, maker. All could land somewhere,

Reply #863048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except Tassie. ;)

Reply #863055 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Wikipedia:

In seven games at the 2018 Albert Schweitzer Tournament in Germany, Mikhailovskii averaged 17.3 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 1.7 steals per game for the Russian national under-18 team, who finished in fourth place, and made the All-Tournament Team.[2]

Mikhailovskii was named to the All-Star Five at the 2018 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship in Riga, Latvia after averaging 16.3 points, 7.4 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game and leading Russia to fourth place.[3]

He played for the Russian under-19 team at the 2019 FIBA Under-19 World Cup in Heraklion, Greece. On 30 June 2019, Mikhailovskii recorded 20 points, 13 rebounds, and 12 assists in an 83-75 win over Greece.[4] It was the first triple-double at the tournament since Dario Šarić in 2013.[5]

Might be wrong, but I reckon LK is paying for teams to take on Next Stars from an array of heavily populated and basketball-interested countries. USA, Japan, Germany, Russia, Philippines, Brazil. Maybe each player gets an inflated salary, the teams get a free player, and the NBL gets as many new viewers (per player addition) as there are existing NBL fans.

Reply #863058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nikita Mikhailovskii is a pg/sg according to pro baller

Reply #863059 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

France also with Dieng playing for NZ.

Reply #863060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King, dieng, mikhailovskii, hukporti so far

No Daniels, no gapare

Maybe duren, bates

Reply #863064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Besson is French also. Current or recent-past signings from:

US (population 331m)
Brazil (212m)
Russia (145m)
Japan (126m)
Philippines (109m)
Germany (83m)
France (65m)

Makes sense...

I watched some Mikhailovskii highlights and he didn't look to be playing as PG at all.

Reply #863065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a 3/2

Reply #863067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

his proably like jessup tbh

Reply #863068 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Isaac I suspect that is what LK is doing as well. It's a creative angle.

Reply #863069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay is a PF

Reply #863074 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Isaac I looked up highlights too, definitely didn't play a guard role. Was more a forward. Curious to see how tassie manage these forwards!

Reply #863077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two guard, played 18 minutes a game in vtb, good shooting %%.

Reply #863079 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Will be intriguing to watch him play along with how the JJs are balanced, still need a big but the list to me now looks pretty good no real holes besides at 5

Reply #863091 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Small point I did not name the thread Jackjumpers sign Russian Nikita Mikhailovskii as next star - has not been announced by the club (or by Ulgun).

Realise it looks better that way but don't like calling it until announced.

Reply #863092 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Olgun says sources = as good as signed

Reply #863097 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Cheers KET

Reply #863099 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

If this occurs how many spots to fill?

An import / local big as well or is that the roster filled?

Reply #863408 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Next Stars don't occupy a roster spot.

Reply #863409 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Thanks for that koberulz, forgot that - just trying to also understand the make up of the roster which at this stage is as anon previously posted:

6'1 J.Magette(i)/6'0 J.Weeks
6'2 J.Adams(i)/6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
6’8 J.Mcveigh/6’8 N.Mikhailovskii(ns)/6’7 C.Steindl
Import//6’8 F.Krslovic/6’7 J.Bairstow
6’10 W.Magnay/local c or ap

Have heard Roth say recently 11 players are on the way not sure if they are going with a 3rd import / local big as there is still a need for one. If that happens reckon it is a strong roster.

Reply #863410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yesterday Roth said nothing has been signed with Mikhailovskii and is just a rumour.

Also said they are in talks with several players about filling the last import spot.

As posted by local jouro Brent Costelloe
https://mobile.twitter.com/brentcostelloe/status/1420308050301186051

Reply #863425 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Roth should give the league a buzz for the downlow considering they just announced it.

Reply #863431 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

If they add an import big to that list it will be fun to watch and competitive for a first-year franchise.

Reply #863432 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So basically a "Next Star" is anybody the league says?

I wouldn't mind if it were restricted to lesser clubs, but we don't really need to see the top teams benefitting

Reply #863434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Scott Roth refuted the report about Mikhailovskii, called out the journo that reported it, and then turned around and announced his signing officially a few hours later? Not the sharpest tool in the shed they brought to Tassie it seems? Total clown move.

Reply #863438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, he's an nba coach though.

Reply #863440 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon #438 and #440 interested in what you think of the JJ's roster, with another import to come?

Thoughts?

Reply #863450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's ok, certainly if the imports are good, not always the case. I’m interested to see how the coach goes. It’s certainly not the worst roster, Cairns and Brisbane at this stage have that imo. McVeigh, McDaniel can take the next step you should be competitive. Bairstow is also a player that teams need, the non flashy stuff, play D take boards.

Reply #863455 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon #455 yep Bairstow is a glue type player, hoping there is enough defence there and obviously reliant on imports being legit.

The proof will be in the pudding with Roth; I'm not convinced but also will wait until the season is in full swing to judge.

Reply #863456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Scout, you didn't ask me, but they appear very reliant on unknown options which would make me wary. Imports could be anything from useless to exceptional. Magnay coming off a less-than-exciting stint in Perth. Russian could be anything. McVeigh the other main combo of NBL experience and likely to have a solid role; maybe he steps up or maybe it's stepping up for a lowly squad missing better options? Makes me think of when Adelaide got Weigh and thought he'd carry the team.

Reply #863463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most likely he had probably not officially signed on the dotted line yet so would have been hard to confirm as if it fell through they would have looked even sillier

Reply #863466 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Isaac - fair enough being wary definitely some money ball selections but I think it is a solid lineup.

The two import guards are proven playing in strong leagues both in Europe and the US, the other import to come will be a big.

McVeigh - yep he can be streaky but should value add with an opportunity that he was not given at Adelaide.

I rate both McDaniel and Krslovic, not sure of Weeks as a backup for Adams at Point Guard.

Having multiple 3 ball shooters should open it up for Magnay. I do not believe the JJ's will be reliant on him.

Looking forward to what Mikhailovskii will bring, it is an intriguing mix no doubt but do not think there are huge gaps. They will be fun to watch no doubt.

Reply #863493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think they should of gone for someone other than weeks and bairstow.

Pity they couldn't get Dufelmeier or Leafa or Adnam.
The possibility of Greenwood coming in as backup next year or yeR after would be good if he’s still got he bball,skills.

Reply #863494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood done his acl, no Afl this year.

Reply #863496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood contract till 2023 with suns unless he breaks it. He'd be 31y.o

Reply #863497 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I can understand the reasons why it's come together as it has, but it's still an overall week squad. I'm also not seeing much stand-out leadership.
In terms of judging the squad on paper, much will depend on the final two signings, especially their final local.

After that it comes down to how good those imports are, how much of the can they can carry, and Roth's ability as a coach.

Reply #863499 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

D2.0 reckon Adams at the point is the stand out leader ....where you'd want it.

Reply #863501 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Or Magette at the point, Adams at the 2!

Reply #863502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rating Krslovic is a mistake Scout.

Reply #863504 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Why anon? Think he has upside.

Reply #863507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krislovic is very average at best, to undersized for his spot and foul prone on any player that's got size on him, which is most in four spot. He is a competitor though.They need a import 4 that can play some time in the five.
Brisbane just got better by bringing in Patterson.

Reply #863511 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon #511 agree with the need for coverage at the 4 /5 spot.

Apparently, discussions occurring for last import who would be a big.

Reply #863513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Discussions? leaving that a bit late Scout. The most important position IMO should have been discussed a long time ago.

Reply #863515 | Report this post

Beach Baller  
Years ago

Geez you'd be fun to have around at party’s Anon #515... not.
Get a life and stop having a pot shot at everyone’s point of views and opinions like your some self appointed basketball guru. D***head.

Reply #863517 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon 515 sure they have been! Try again for relevance

Well said Beachballer

Reply #863518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah lets not confuse the issue with the facts Beach Baller. Maybe if you played less with your balls and concentrated on the topic you may understand.
The relevance is they have 1 spot to go and so far it's an average side at best.

Reply #863521 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The JJ's have still got 2 spots to go, Next Star players don't count as part of the roster.

1 import + 1 local or 2 locals still to go.

Reply #863524 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon #521 being an anon, no real analysis just having a crack. No facts just 'opinion' which is absolutely fine but not state they are facts.

Reply #863533 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Oh to be a fly on the wall at training, they have so many players from 2-4 that are fighting for roles, imagine let's say McDaniel goes from championship starter to first official player signed to #11 or #12 player used. I'm not saying that will happen but I'd put Steindl ahead of him based solely on him being a marksman and his relationship with Roth and you'd imagine he wouldn't sign to not even get on court but that could be said about McDaniel, McVeigh, Krslovic and Bairstow.

As for leadership, I think Bairstow shows a lot out there as he seems fairly mature and like a leader of men

Reply #863535 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Good post Proud - yep reliant on Magette (Weeks as 'back up') at PG, thin at this stage at the 5.

Lots of players fighting for minutes in the 2 to 4 spots.

Reply #863540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect there could be lots of players "fighting" Trying to build a franchise and wanting a long term commitment from these guys makes it difficult when so many players play the same role. The selection seems week. Speaking of 'Weeks' how he got a gig is beyond me. Dufelmeier would literally run Weeks off the floor now. A better defender and a better shooter. How he was never selected was to me the dumbest decision Roth had made.

Reply #863543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duffelmeir is a better passer as well.

Reply #863577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I should have added that. 5 or 6 years ago Weeks was super fast. The Duf is even faster and more in control. Serious, serious omission and the worst part of it Scout was that you saw Duffelmeier play sitting next to the Coach of the JJ's!

Reply #863586 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

@Scout, That's the point. If you're utterly reliant on the two imports you've signed, then you have a problem.

Obviously it's a big unknown. Imports can be stella, or they can be flops, or anywhere in between.

It's generally hard for imports to take up leadership roles, in a new team and country. JJ's really needed some locals to pull it together, and they haven't done that.

It was always going to be hard, trying to pull quality locals from the existing clubs. Maybe this was as good as could be expected, but it's still a very weak squad.
And frankly, they've rolled a lot of dice. There's far too many "well, maybe's" in this team. There's basically a big IF in front of everyone's name.

I REALLY hope they still have a Big-Name Local coming, to anchor the franchise, because otherwise this is going to be a long season for Tasmania. They have no Captain, and nobody I can see putting into that role.

Reply #863597 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

D2.0 - like Perth being reliant on Cotton?

Reply #863601 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

D2.0 While the local content could be stronger no doubt I only see potential weaknesses at the Point Guard (yep Dufelmeir over Weeks) back up and the 4/5 spot.

Believe the 2 with Josh Adams / McDaniel

3 with - J.Mcveigh, N.Mikhailovskii, 6'7 C.Steindl

and 4 with Import F.Krslovic J.Bairstow (could be stronger without import)

5 with Magnay (potential import / local)

Leadership from Adams / Bairstow / Steindl.

Yes there are some unknowns and potential (McVeigh / McDaniel / Krslovic) but show me a list besides Melbourne who does not rely on some room for improvement.

I am excited by Adams, Magett, Magnay, Magnay, Mikhailovskii, Krslovic, Import / local to come. Fairly strong core for mine.

Where do you see the weakness areas for improvement?

Discussion is good - I'm looking forward it coming together. Now in the league!

Reply #863603 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

Which local C's remain unsigned that JJ's could sign? Might give them the potential to move Magnay to his more natural 4 spot.

Hodgson? is Pledger looking to get back into the game? What's Brandt doing?

Reply #863608 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

There is plenty of potential, but just too many "IFs"
Too reliant on too many things going your way.
Basically every player has a big ? next to their name, and probability says not enough will come good.

Still waiting to see the final signings, but it would take an exceptional coach to get that lot into contention.
Currently the best local player you have is Steindl. I mean shit, most of the better NBL1 team would kick their arse.

Adams I'm excited to see, he looks to be the type of smaller SG/COmbo that typically does well in the NBL. But will Roth rely on him to also run the point when Magette is resting?
Magette looks 2nd-rate, just my opinion mind. And Weeks as your backup? FMD. Weeks has done well for himself to carve out a career as a "2nd-tier backup" player, and if you're stuck and looking for an injury replacement, you could do worse. But I wouldn't sign him as a foundation player.

McVeigh has shown promise for years. Will this be his opportunity to finally establish himself as a quality starting SF??

And at the moment, your frontcourt looks terrible. Magnay, Bairstow, and Fabijan...
Magnay, fit, healthy, and in form, is very good. But is he any of those things?? Rumour was he put-off surgery to play for the Cats, and regretted it. Can only hope they're looking at Hodgson, or similar.

Reply #863644 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

D2.0 thanks for the response, do not believe the JJs have a roster similar or close to a team like MU.

Do disagree that their best local is Stiendl (who I do rate but right up there) - would rate McDaniel, McVeigh and Magnay in the same group.

Yep there are weaknesses - with the obvious at the Power Forward and Centre positions but I will not judge the list until it is complete.

Interested that you believe Magette looks second rate along with the rest of your take on the JJ's the same as other rosters ...time will tell.

Reply #863680 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As we have seen with Cairns, (and others from time to time) A couple of decent locals, plus a reasonable bench, complete with role players,
Then if you uncover 3 gun imports, Bam, suddenly you're in the finals.

There's a LOT hinging on these last two spots.

If your last local and inaugural Captain is say Motum, that's going to be a lot better than if it's Kickert.

And then that last import...

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of team Roth tries to develop. My 'default' is to think he want's strong Defense like Gleeson or Goorjian, but who knows, maybe he's going to load up on shooters.

Reply #863700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Dazz, Scout. Don't entertain anything he says.

Reply #863702 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Cheers Anon...lesson learned

Reply #863709 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

With this roster it seems pretty clear what Roth wants to do at the JJ - looks similar to what the Phoenix tried to do in their first couple of seasons before finding a better balance last season. I think a lot hinges on both how good the imports are as well as Mikhailovskii.

Reply #863714 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

My opinion of Magette is just that, an opinion.
IIRC he was in one of the USA squads, so clearly he has something to offer

The beauty of the NBL, is that we often have imports who are either journeymen, or young and unproven,
and yet thrive here.
So as always, it is wait and see

Reply #863958 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

My overall take on the squad, is not that it will necessarily be bad, but that it is heavily reliant on everything going right, and everyone playing better than they did last season.

It does happen, just look at the wildcats last season.

And I'm not saying they could or should have done any better.

Reply #863960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:21 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754