Peter
Years ago

Adelaide sign Manny Malou

Looks like a local signing from NBL1 as back up forward but also says he represented Soth Sudanese national team.

Grew up in Australia since aged 2, does this make him a local or import?

Adelaide36ers.com

Topic #49022 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'd be a local.

Not a scouting expert or anything but no very little about him.

I wonder what this means for the third import spot?

Reply #863134 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Keeping 3rd import spare incase injury to Humphries?

Reply #863135 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

He rated pretty highly here in west Melbourne.

Deserves all he gets, works his butt off despite been overlooked by so many here.

Reply #863136 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

We can probably assume he did the "smart" thing and obtained Australian Citizenship whilst growing up here, and that would make him a Local for NBL purposes. (But playing for South Sudan would preclude his player for the Boomers, if that was ever an option)

But as we have seen, sometimes people don't take that option

Reply #863137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter, I hope that's not there plan. I don't mind the wait and see what we need approach for an import spot, but I think its a terrible waste to plan for an injury like that and also just straight forwardly a mistaken approach.

Reply #863141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Their

Reply #863142 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Anon, can't they still fit 3 imports?

Signed so far are 6 locals (Humphries, DJ, Dech, McCarron, Dufelmeier, Manny) plus Sotto if he counts as local

So that's 7 plus King (NS)

Then 3 imports, Hannah's plus 2 more

Reply #863144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holland is Humphries backup!

Reply #863145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter, was referring to the prospect of waiting to use an import on the basis Humphries got injured.

Yes, hopefully two more imports to come, but just meant the expectation of one those players being a 4/5 might have changed? Hard to say with this roster.

Malou doesn's strike me as a solid all round type defensive big?

Reply #863146 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Hadn't heard much of him prior to today.
He isn't South Australian though and that could upset some posters who only want croweaters on their team.

Reply #863155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nearly 28 years old, late start to nbl career.

Reply #863161 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Isn't he the guy with a boatload of issues? Good luck Sixers.

Reply #863167 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Never heard of the bloke - "highly competitive for his signature" was it though?

Seems odd.

C Humphries/Sotto
F Import/DJ/Malou
F Import/Dech (or switched around)
G Hannahs/local
G McCarron/local

Reply #863168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still no news on the import sf? Surprised a name hasnt come out yet

Reply #863170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PW what kind of issues? I haven't heard of any.

Reply #863171 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

KET, I thought the same to, but I guess there's nothing wrong with a PR spin that naturally comes with most things haha.

Would DJ seriously come off the bench?

Reply #863172 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Same guy?

Watched a couple of highlights videos and he looks capable. Maybe a low-stakes, left-field signing? JVG's previous exposure to him was Sydney, I guess.

Still need an import big because I don't think you'd want to roll dice on Sotto and Malou being enough behind Humphries and DJ.

Reply #863174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries/Sotto Johnson/Malou Gun Import/Dech/local Hannahs/King ns/local McCarron/Duffman W. Still room to scrap a local and add an import backup at any position, but I don't mind the lineup so far. I guess it all depends on who we get at SF and if Hannahs can play.Im hoping he can shoot the lights out. Looking good so far, money on Sotto to have a good year but all could change if we get a cheap SF. Younger Childress type would be great, but it's the Sixers and dreams aren't reality.

Reply #863177 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Dufelmeier is backup point guard.

Reply #863178 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think Sotto will play much only a kid and likely more a glorified development player.

Humphries/Malou/Sotto
Import/Johnson
Import/King
Hannahs/Dech/Teys?
McCarron/Dufelmeier

Reply #863179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sotto has the frame and strength of a 16 year old petite asian school girl. He will be lucky to get on the court. Holland will be the back up for Humphries.

Reply #863180 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

PW what kind of issues? I haven't heard of any.

I don't know the specifics but when Malou was playing Big V there was constant talk in the thread on here about that competition in regards to him playing at a higher level if he got things off the court sorted.

Reply #863348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, that's beyond vague and no point mentioning it unless you know or have the balls to be more specific.

Reply #863353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure he's a local. Has played for the Longhorns in Melbourne (foundation club for deng deng, deng adel and Kuany Kuany) for a long time. Had some NBA interest early on but got some poor advice imho and held out too long for unrealistic contracts which hurt his exposure. I think Kelly worked him out for cairns a few years back but he was coming off an injury at the time. Talented and athletic big, will be interesting to see how he goes at NBL level, I’ll be cheering for him.

Reply #863381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ will start ur all clowns and Keita Bates Diop will be the two they're mentioning at adl

Reply #863385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Perthworld has the balls to speak up but is basing his unknown Malou issues on an old hoops.com thread.

Reply #863387 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

As I said there was a lot of innuendo on Big V threads a couple of years ago on why such a talented player was stuck playing in such a low level league. Maybe the Victorians can chime in.

It will be interesting to see him finally play in the NBL.

Reply #863392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely got bad advice every step along the way.
Prep schools , juco's turning nose up at d1 schools that weren’t hm, then followed same path afterwards and bounced around lower leagues trying to prove he should have been in higher leagues.

Talent he clearly should be, but has wasted many years on the back of bad advice.
There’s many many out there.
Hopefully he can stick and catch up on lost time.

Reply #863413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had offers from Kansas back in the day can play.

Reply #863414 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ur all clowns, Bates Diop is a 3/4 not a 2.

Reply #863423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bates Diop isnt the import, Spurs have tendered him a restricted free agent offer.

Reply #864594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i had a dream that isaiah austin a 7 footer was coming to the nbl as a asian local

Reply #864850 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754