Isaac
Years ago

Simmons trade speculation heats up

Dumas:

The Sixers hope to trade Ben Simmons tonight. The asking price remains the same. The relationship seems to be over. It's not a matter of if anymore, but when.
Sixers insisting on quite the haul in exchange. The Spurs supposedly turned down the hefty ask already.

Woj:
"The Sixers are asking for a Harden-esque type package of an all star player, draft picks, and pick swaps for Ben Simmons"
ESPN Sources: Sixers continue to canvass the league for Ben Simmons trades — armed with a steep asking price. Simmons and his agent, Klutch CEO Rich Paul, are in step with a move elsewhere. Draft night is always an ideal vehicle for a deal, but talks could continue into summer.
News
O'Connor
Spurs turned down a Sixers offer that would have sent them Simmons. Philly wanted back four first round picks, three first round pick swaps, and a young player in return.
The Athletic:
The Cavs, among other teams, explored a potential Ben Simmons trade with the Sixers, sources tell @talkhoops. However, the asking price wasn’t something Cleveland would consider.

Topic #49026 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Well done Spurs for turning down that laughable request

Plus we have Murray already who's a similar type of player, and at 24 may still yet blossom into an All Star himself.

Reply #863542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Pelicans, Raptors, Sixers scenario looks most beneficial for all parties. Simmons to Toronto, Ingram/Ball to Philly and Lowry + DPs to new Orleans.

Reply #863544 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Sixers asking far too much. Deliberate, in order to keep Simmons but on their terms not his?

Reply #863553 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sixers anchoring the high end as a starting point, I think. Can't imagine Morey doesn't know what he's doing.

Might be throwing this sort of thing at a few teams early and wanting the trade leaked to influence things when they make a slightly more moderate proposal to the real targets.

Reply #863559 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Sixers asking far too much. Deliberate, in order to keep Simmons but on their terms not his?

Why so, Hoopie (serious, not sarcasm!)?

Reply #863560 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I hope Simmons goes for his own sake, after the ludicrous and fashionable chorus that Philadelphia having not won a championship yet, was because Simmons can't or won't shoot.

When you examine Philadelphia now compared to the team imagined under 'The Process', it's almost wholly unrecognisable.

Again, this lack of patience and false belief that Philadelphia should be drowning in championships by now in a conference that has equally entitled teams like Milwaukee and Brooklyn.

I'm not vague or naïve enough not to realise that what I've said is to do with the whole issue here, and I haven't attacked it from all the right angles.

But look, when Philly end up with an ageing guard, don't win a championship and find themselves with Joel Embiid surrounded by a shuffling of veterans unrecognisable to the vision of the earlier parts of their rebuild, they'll likely find themselves in the same situation as previous.

Reply #863585 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

If nobody wants Simmons (at that price anyway), doesn't that give the Sixers leverage to say to Ben that he better shape up cos nobody wants him as he is, and he’s likely to be on reduced minutes anyway now that he’s been worked out and becomes more liability than asset?

Reply #863609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thinking OKC maybe option. Player + Picks. He would play as a forward.

Reply #863625 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If nobody wants Simmons (at that price anyway), doesn't that give the Sixers leverage to say to Ben that he better shape up cos nobody wants him as he is, and he's likely to be on reduced minutes anyway now that he’s been worked out and becomes more liability than asset?

Always been a liability , lot of hype has gone to his head , he will end up end of bench has been at this rate

Reply #863765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philly have ruined the relationship. There is no return for Simmons at Philly. Embiid and Doc had shut their mouth post playoff exit. Going by what's reported, Simmons is refusing to have any contact with Philly officials.

Reply #863867 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Simmons ruined the relationship - imagine being a teammate and having this so called star selfishly cost you what is possibly your best shot at a title in one of the most wide open NBA playoffs in the modern era. Embiid and Doc were surprisingly restrained in the press conference.

Reply #863891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Daryll Kerrigan said, tell em they're dreaming. Classic classified ads situation. Start with an outlandish asking price, 4 1st rounders plus player ffs, then gradually reduce it till it's slightly above market price but add "or nearest offer". His price would be young shooter plus a couple of firsts, maybe a pick swap or 2.
Only thought the other day, but Utah would be a great situation for Simmons, but can't see what jazz can offer.

Reply #863925 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

They'd lose a hell of a lot of credibility if they have to drop too far from their high starting position. Be the joke of the year.

Reply #863929 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

re; Only thought the other day, but Utah would be a great situation for Simmons, but can't see what jazz can offer

how about some time along-side of Jingles?

Reply #863934 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

re; Only thought the other day, but Utah would be a great situation for Simmons, but can't see what jazz can offer

how about some time along-side of Jingles? They are both Point Forwards, same size(almost) and there's something else they share???????? Oh yes!

Reply #863935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The real problem is Philly trying to get rid of their PG who widely regarded as a PF/C.

Reply #863943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should have pulled trigger on Harden trade tbh.
If golden state weren't sentimental, they'd include Green and picks in trade to Sixers. Simmons would be an upgrade on him and can play the death line-up centre spot.

Reply #863948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd have another look if I was Golden State. Simmons’ playmaking could take some burden off the ageing backcourt, and along with Green would be strong defensively. Find some more role players and hit the buy out market.

Reply #863969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^agree entirely, but as I said he makes Green redundant. But what would they have that Sixers want, would have to be a third team. Sixers need another star, not prospects that GSW have drafted recently. Sacramento might give up Hield and another starter, Bagley perhaps, that Philly would like and Sacramento wouldn't mind Wiseman and even sign and trade Oubre.

Reply #863990 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say they're holding on their trade expectation until the point guard market dries up a bit more. A few are gone from the table today/

They'd be banking on a contender mortgaging their drafting future to add a piece from a shrinking pool, or a team grabbing him because he fits their timeline and they don't have anything else going on.

Reply #864915 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Trade speculation has remained tepid throughout, as it happens...

Sources: Ben Simmons tells team brass he no longer wants to be a Sixer and does not intend to report to training camp.
Simmons tanking his own value intentionally or just not keen to deal with the coach and Embiid after their comments?

The former might widen the pool of suitors and increase his chances of landing somewhere he wants to be?

There was another story that he'd not followed the Sixers' off-season training plan, and an insightful comment saying that he's probably someone who really needs to be at training camp of some sort.

Reply #869500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see his play this season as it show a lot about his character. Despite the harshness of their words, doc and embiid weren't wrong. So Ben has every right to be pissed at them at them, but ultimately it’s his fault for putting himself in the situation in the first place.

It’s clear he’s taken the harden approach of exiting which is sad and if there’s no progress at all then whatever team gets him has to be scratching their head at a guy who wants to be treated like a star but is scared to go to the free throw line.

Reply #869503 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Sixers are in a tough spot. They want a star player in return, + extras

Most other clubs however will not give up a star for Simmons.

For instance. the Wolves are considered one of the most keen clubs. But who are they giving up for him? It's not going to be KAT, their only star. It won't be Edwards. So who?

The 76ers won't get a Lillard type for Simmons, so while they want a star to complement Joel, they might have to settle for a 'future' package, containing young player and draft picks.

Personally, I'd like to see GSW get creative.

What is they gave up Klay? Coming off two very significant injuries, he's not likely to get back to his best.

So, Simmons + Seth Curry, for Klay and Moody.

GSW get Simmons to take pressure off Steph and Seth to add shooting support (and bring the brothers together which would be cool).

76ers get Klay, who, if he is able to play, will really stretch the floor for Joel + Moody who is a first round pick with high scoring potential.

Reply #869505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if GSW had drafted Ball, showcased him and now could, with salary filler, send him to Sixers.
Can't see them sending Klay, can't have Simmons and Green together. If they do a package with Green it'd make sense, but would they trade heart of team for diva like Simmons. And yes, I'm aware Green has his moments.

Reply #869527 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw comments saying that Draymond has played well with a non-shooter like Looney before, so could work alongside Simmons. But that's a lot to pay for a guy you use like Looney.

I think Curry and Klay have to be untouchable retire-as-Warriors. Draymond close enough to that as well.

Reply #869540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons has always had his own people coach him till last season, yes it wasn't nice to be called out by Sixers, the points they made being very true though. He’s certainly not getting a lot of love from other teams as you would think they be crying out for his signing. Sometimes you got take criticism on board and work harder.

Reply #869546 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If Simmons has expressed his demand to be traded and his refusal to return publicly then he should be punished by the league.

He has plummeted his value even more now by eroding the Sixer's bargaining position. Furthermore, he is acting like a Diva, who is going to give you top talent for that??

Ben is still an all-star calibre player but there are significant downsides in this deal.

Reply #869548 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Couple of questions.

How, if at all, has Brett Brown influenced Ben Simmons. Seems that there were no issues during that period.

"had his own people coach him till last season"! Did some-one forget to tell Simmons that b/ball is a team-game?

Reply #869549 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the suggestion was that Brett Brown coddled him. I imagine things have gone:

Season 1: He has been a great rookie, he'll improve his deficiencies.
Season 2: Scoring and percentages up a touch. Sophomore slump? He'll improve.
Season 3: We're on the cusp. He needs an off-season program, said he wants his own trainer, OK, I guess.
Season 4: This appears to be a serious problem. He lacks the internal drive and won't accept outside help to solve it.

Then the coach and star make strong remarks in the heat of the moment and completely alienate him. Can see how any issues might've been overlooked for this long.

Remember that he doesn't care if he tanks his value. He has his contract regardless. If anything, he doesn't want his destination team to give up too much in a trade as it weakens his new team and strengthens rivals. And weakening the 76ers position increases the variety of suitors; might mean that a team on the verge of competing gets him (Warriors, etc) rather than a team just trying to spillover into the play-offs (Wolves). Imagine getting to pick the Warriors and California over Minnesota or a small-market team.

Reply #869553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sixers don't trade him and he doesn’t turn up, what would be the out come? You can’t be earning that sort of money and just do as you wish ? Surely.

Reply #869555 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He'll get fined. And he's indicated that he is happy to accept the fines rather than show up to trainings. Obviously has zero interest in the awkwardness it would entail.

Reply #869557 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

As long as his behaviour doesn't affect future Aussie draft chances. Probably not, now I think about it, as there have been a number of divas over the years.

Reply #869561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could just pull a Harden and show up in terrible shape.
Imo, Rivers has dodged a lot of the blame. As a coach you need to emphasise players strengths and fix weaknesses. He's been relying on that Celtics championship for how long now? As for Elton Brand, WTF???

Reply #869599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Jackie McMullen said on the Bill Simmons podcast that Brett Brown whilst being softer in nature even to the point of just being non confrontational and ignoring the problem or hoping it will resolve by itself (there's plenty of other bits and pieces about this, just see why butler had an issue with him), even said that he and the Sixers did many things along the way to try and get Simmons to shoot:

The first being after one of the playoff exits in 2018 or 19, the team outright assigned an assistant to be with him during the off season to work on shooting, only for then his camp to turn around and say no they’ll get their own guy to work with Simmons (which from memory ended up being a relative of Simmons).

Then in 2019-2020 Brown had outright told Simmons that he wants him to shoot one three a game

And finally, apparently Brown at some other point said something like 'do you want me to bench you, because I can do it’

So whilst it appears brown was coddling him along the way, even he was doing all sorts of things to try and get him to shoot but every time whether it be Simmons, his camp or both just blew him off.

Proceed to Doc basically trying to do his classic everyone will love me so I won’t ruffle any feathers unless I have to. Then he and morey wanting a year to see if the Simmons and Embiid combo can work under their watch will work, has lead to like 5 years of basically beating around the bush that hasn’t worked and then moments of accountability but that still not working. It’s clear that Rich Paul simply cares about the money so anything to compromise a client of his getting that money he will get involved and Simmons has had no desire despite being a multi millionaire in the best league in the world that they simply will look out for themselves whether or not the criticism is valid.

I know people will naturally sling shit at him and I’ve defended him a lot in the past but it does say something that it takes you to have your worst moment in pro sports to be motivated to make some free throws.

Reply #869600 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

I know they won't do it, but I want to see morey and rivers do what pat riley did to lebron when he sulked after that first year in miami I believe of basically 'we’re paying you a lot of money to play basketball, we’re not trading you so grow the fuck up and play’

Reply #869601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't blame Simmons for wanting out, but if he does get traded and then proceeds to still run from the free throw line and shooting in general and being aggressive all up, then this guy really is pathetic. You want how much money to basically play defence and pass the ball like give me a break!

Reply #869602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754