Anonymous
Years ago

Has the Boomers' peak come yet?

Is 2020 Tokyo Olympics our peak boomers or is the side shaping up to be even better in the future.

We have some great up and comers but we will be losing some of our best too.

Would 2020 beat 2024 or 2028?

Topic #49035 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can I has cheeseburger?

Reply #863775 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Err somehow I read the title wrong so ignore the meme.

How about we enjoy being in the moment as the Olympics only last for two weeks every four years.

Reply #863797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about we ignore perthworld who constantly posts rubbish. No partner or kids I presume.

2028 is just too far ahead.

2024 has the potential to be better if you alter current roster...

Sobey out and GIDDEY in.
Baynes out and Humphries in.
Ingles out and Daniels in.
Reath out and Magnay in.
Goulding out and Vasilijevic or Proctor in.
Dellavedova out and perhaps Simmons in.

Keep Mills in bench role.
Thybulle
Green
Kay and or Cooks.
Exum if healthy lol.

3 years to Paris so enough time for other prospects to emerge.
Hoops.com favorite Creek will only be 32.

Simmons in a pipe dream I know but maybe it happens.

Reply #863885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't agree on tha Magnay over Reath but everything else seems right.

Reply #863886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2028 stocks - 15 man extended squad

6'11 B.SIMMONS(96) / 6’6 D.EXUM(95) / 6’9 J.GIDDEY(02)
6’6 D.DANIELS(03) / 6’5 M.KING(02) / 6’5 T.PROCTOR(04)
6’6 M.THYBULLE(97) / 6’6 J.GREEN(00) / 6’8 L.TRAVERS(01)
6’8 J.WHITE(97) / 6’8 X.COOKS(95) / 7’0 T.MAKER(97)
6’11 J.LANDALE(95) / 6’11 D.REATH(96) / 6’10 W.MAGNAY(98)

Reply #863887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I forgot humphries(98), dammit

Reply #863888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Froling maybe? Will be 24 and plays for Goorjian, already better than Harrison Froling.

Reply #863889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2024 atm looks like

Simmons/Exum/Giddey
Mills/Daniels
Thybulle/Green
Landale/Kay/Maker
Reath/Humphries

Need more scoring with Ingles out.

Reply #863890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I forgot Landale.
Travers has potential even in 2024 .
Forgot Ķing ( I always question which nationality is he?).

Thon Maker yeah nah.

Reply #863892 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Judging by the warm up games, we are no longer sponsored by peak. So I guess yes, it has come and gone.

Reply #863894 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Boomers 2048

PG Anonymous's Grandson
PG Giddey (in a bench role)
SG Anonymous's Grandson
SG Anonymous's Grandson
SF Anonymous's Grandson
SF Anonymous's Grandson
PF Anonymous's Grandson
PF Anonymous's Grandson
C Anonymous's Grandson
C Anonymous's Grandson

FFS

'How about we enjoy being in the moment as the Olympics only last for two weeks every four years.' Here here

Reply #863904 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Really love those that still have the Simmons pipe dream

Reply #863905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Perthworld. Nuff said.

Reply #863906 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If history has shown us anything it's that you can never predict who will or wont suit up for a Boomers team. For the past decade we've had 4-5 consistent names, one fell in a shower, and now the current Boomers have to completely alter their plans moving forward. No doubt similar issues will pop up for future players.

Anyway, have the Boomers peaked? Well.. is an appropriate answer "who friggen knows?"

I think this current team still has a mission ahead and I am more invested in how they figure out overcoming adversity than I am with what may or may not be beyond that. I agree with PerthWorld in that the Olympics come but 2 weeks out of every four years. We're in the middle of one now. We've got (still) a very good team with (still) reasonable medal hopes. That's where my concern is. If we've peaked yet will come down to how that ends. And we should know in about 8 days how that story has unfolded.

As for the future, it has the potential to be bright. Doesn't mean it will be. Doesn't mean all those players don't take themselves to the Ben Simmons school of Boomers inconsistency. Doesn't mean we don't bring a profoundly talented team to those games and fail to achieve anything, or fail to even qualify as Canada has shown us all.

What I think we will likely lack moving forward is a consistent core with a consistent identity. It wouldn't surprise me to see Mills, Ingles, and possibly even Baynes and Delly have another go around as supporting players so that there is some remnant of the hard-earned Boomers culture still around for the next Olympic cycle. I think consistency and culture mean more than what hypothetical names may or may not make themselves available.

Anyway, in short, who knows. There's potential and that's the only thing we can say. We've taken a knock in our current campaign but the chance for us to peak this current week still exists. I am 100 percent ALL IN on that.

Reply #863910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2019 was the peak, until proven otherwise

Reply #863912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Agreed. 2019 team had current core and bogut.

Reply #863916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Until proven otherwise." Exactly. None of the young guys are better now than the current Boomers (except Sobey). They should get there, but when Dante was drafted I think a lot of people expected that he'd take Patty's spot within a couple of years. Daniels has NEVER played meaningful senior basketball. King struggled in his transition to the NBL this year and if he ends up counting as a naturalised player, will struggle to displace Thybulle. Humphries shows promise but has been injured and his progress has come in fits and spurts. Jack White may or may not come back from serious injury, his athleticism has been central to his effectiveness defensively throughout his career. I would bet on Vasiljevic filling Goulding's role comfortably enough, but that's hardly what the Boomers' performance hinges on.

And something that can't be underestimated is the commitment shown by this core, and the chemistry they've developed as a result. If a couple of the next generation are always missing at key events, I don't think there's any guarantee they surpass whatever this group end up getting done.

Reply #863918 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

What was Matisse T doing in 2019? Put him in that team (along with Simmons), OUCH!

We would be looking for consecutive Golds, even without Bogut for this campaign, who would have had at least/last 1, and the 1st at that.

Reply #863919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ what rubbish

Reply #863920 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I agree with 'until proven otherwise'. We were within one point of the gold medal game and we probably would have taken Argentina for it. At the moment we're not even at the quarters just yet and we're scrambling to set a gameplan for the way we play the rest of the tournament. Peak 'could' be now, or it could have been 2 years ago. I am not going to call it yet.

Reply #863921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RobT, good question, I know Brett Brown was the one who supposedly told our boomers core at some point about Thybulle but maybe he did so too late? Otherwise all it would've taken was asking Washington about him and reading about him to know his situation. Could also be what the likes of bogut and mills have pointed at in the past of BA uselessness and they didn’t do their due diligence in regards to seeking him out, by the time we knew he could play it was too late.

Reply #863922 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'd put my money on BA not knowing, but it’s also possible that Thybulle wasn’t up to it in 2019.

I look at soccer, where they seem to keep track of a hell of a lot of players - every now and then they’ll pull someone into camp or the national team who I’ve never heard of before, and who shows they deserve to be there. That suggests they’re tracking at least 100-200 players around the globe at all age levels.

Reply #863928 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Judging by the warm up games, we are no longer sponsored by peak. So I guess yes, it has come and gone.

Well played.
Boomers 2048

PG Anonymous's Grandson
PG Giddey (in a bench role)
SG Anonymous's Grandson
SG Anonymous's Grandson
SF Anonymous's Grandson
SF Anonymous's Grandson
PF Anonymous's Grandson
PF Anonymous's Grandson
C Anonymous's Grandson
C Anonymous's Grandson

FFS

Simmons' son pulled out at the last minute.

Reply #863930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pretty sad how a once-in-a-century fricken pandemic cost these guys one richly deserved, primed run at a medal. 2020 was the year.

We’re good and experienced enough to find a pathway this tournament, all the setbacks notwithstanding, but I’m certain we would’ve steamrolled them in 2020

Reply #863931 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

All the hype over Simmons and Exum .... Neither of which has proven to be outstanding …… then you find someone like Thybulle…… not a blimp about him and he is stepping up to be a very key player both defensive and offensive ends of the court, and few knew he even existed , had to google who he was as never heard or seen of him and he's 27, obviously had no parental connections in BA

Reply #863938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, Thybulle isn't 27 he’s 24 and plenty of people about him, just because the nbl diehards didn’t know that doesn’t meant the rest of the planet didn’t know how special defensively he was in college and going into the nba.

Exum also has had the injury bug and Simmons is an nba all star what the hell are you on about?

Reply #863939 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"What I think we will likely lack moving forward is a consistent core with a consistent identity. It wouldn't surprise me to see Mills, Ingles, and possibly even Baynes and Delly have another go around as supporting players so that there is some remnant of the hard-earned Boomers culture still around for the next Olympic cycle. I think consistency and culture mean more than what hypothetical names may or may not make themselves available."

Absolutely. The Boomers need to establish a new core and give them time to develop chemistry. The core must consist of committed players, not necessarily our best players. Even if they are mostly US-based, get them together for a few days every off-season outside of major tournaments.

I'm not confident the Boomers are likely to have the camaraderie that this core has, as shown in the "Green for gold" documentary.

Reply #863946 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"I'm not confident the Boomers are likely to have the camaraderie that this core has, as shown in the "Green for gold" documentary."

Giddey, Green, thybulle, Kay, Landale, Exum, I think it's possible they will have all of that camaraderie. Just dont expect Simmons to join in.

Reply #863947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can still appreciate the current boomers while looking ahead at what the future boomers looks like..

Reply #863951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget Simmons and if you're still picking Maker you haven’t been watching, he is not playing, there is a reason for this.

Reply #863953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Part of building culture and a new core requires experience. No one was talking about our culture and core in 2012 when mills, ingles, delly and baynes had only been to either 1 or 2 Olympics. It really only became a thing once 2016 came and all of our core had 2 olympics under their belts by that point. By 2019 it was the most solidified as ever. The only way to build a new core will be experience. Obviously having the vets around (mills and ingles will be around for 2024) helps but at the end of the day you need reps. Come 2024, Thybulle, Green, Exum and Landale will all be getting their 2nd olympics and then by 2028 they'll be solidified. Throw in the likes of Kay, Reath and Giddey along the way, a new core will be established but it takes time.

Reply #863954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Bolden? Just need him to get back into Bball. He's currently a stud in the crypto game

Reply #863959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden probably end up in NBL if still interested in basketball.

Reply #863962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Jonah making that money in crypto.

Probably not enough money in the NBL to entice him.

This is the peak Oz team it's hard to guess what the future holds for Green Giddey Daniels M.Maker.

Who hold our hope of our future.

Exum was the 5th pick too but is struggling to stay in the NBA.

Reply #865410 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754