XTR
Years ago

Big V season.

If the Big V pulls the pin on the season will they refund the clubs some of the entry fee?

Just think about it Big V will save on paying Refs, admin etc.. for at least a month of the season plus finals.

Or will the Big V pocket the money and stockpile it in the bank with the other $250K they have sitting there?

Topic #49094 | Report this topic

Love this game  
Years ago

I doubt the refund anything I could be wrong but money grab leagues normally don't give money back to the associations.

Reply #866910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V over priced for what it is.

What exactly do the clubs get for the money they spend?

Reply #866925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Competitions. Insurance. Refs. Want more?. Stadiums. Staffing. Want more?. Roads. Education.Sanitation. Oh wait wrong movie...;)

Reply #866927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the season is done then no need to pay refs or any other costs.

They'll also save on championship trophies.

Reply #866953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big v charged for last season that never happened and for this season again.. money grab at it's finest!

Reply #867039 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Clubs have paid entry fees for an entire season up front which covers refs and officials, they have a right to play out the season even if it's been disrupted, they have already smashed on several
Missed weeks of play not having to pay refs and officials
Same goes for NBL1

Reply #867124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are regional games being played in the meantime?

Reply #867140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on. The clubs have paid so they should play!

Reply #867146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure how this season comes back. obviously no games this weekend, leaves 2 weekends, and i doubt they will play next weekend even if we get out of lockdown on thursday night, therefore leaves 1 week.... and then is there a point? i guess if you are in the finals yes you want to play, but if your out of it, do you even get players wanting to play?

vjbl is in the same boat....

must say the information coming out of the big v and vjbl on their social media to their members is an absolute disgrace... they say nothing. yes we know that there will be no games, but there is never an update on how a how the season may progress in different situations. maybe they have all gone on holidays?

Reply #867149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Communication from Big has been disgraceful.

Communication 101 - Even if you have nothing to say, tell your stake holders that. Simply say that you have nothing to say and you keep the communication lines open and that builds trust.

Reply #867155 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

The season has come this far, over 75% done.

Big V simply has to find a way to see it out. Get it finished! Pulling the pin now is the worst thing they could do. Would have been better to not have the season at all.

Reply #867156 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NBL1 regional games this weekend. So they do have the intention of restarting but I suspect that revolves around the lockdown stopping next Thursday, whether or not that continues to be the case.

"Communication from Big has been disgraceful."
Um they posted a return to sport update a couple hours ago. What do you expect? We must have alot of BV club administrators on this forum, by the sounds of the complaining that is happening, asking for money to be refunded etc. Do you think the clubs asking for money to be returned going to pass that money back to sponsors?

Reply #867193 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

No idea what everyone is on about here lol with not knowing whats going on with big v season. lol

Big V season plan was out long time ago in mid-late July and communicated to all clubs and on their websites/social media lol

All on website peoples - where have you all been?
https://gameday.bigv.com.au/news/big-v-update-or-july-28

Its pretty clear whats going on I would think
In case you missed it in short-

- Top 4 finals series only and no best of 3 grand final series this year

- Any other rounds that cant be played cause of covid will be cancelled as they already extended season by around 3-4 weeks. So this weekends round is obviously cancelled again and I would dare say next weekend also will be unfortunately from what government are saying and doing currently.

- Finals will be happening regardless and Semis planned for first week of september and granny second week of sept for most divisions

I reckon its great how they are doing everything to complete a season and my team cant even make top 4!!!!!,

why would you even want them to cancel it or suggest they do it - crazy - clearly people on here saying that are on the bottom and dont care much for playing the sport we all love to play and be involved in win or lose!

Personally me and my team cant wait to get back out there after not playing at all last year! and this season being so on and off.

Reply #867215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only a small number of teams make finals so for most returning IS a waste of time.

Big V should call the season and refund the clubs some of their money.

Reply #867233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either play it out or crown the top teams as champions, there are only 2 ways around it... this is not rocket science

Reply #867234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no refunds. I don't understand why people keep bringing up money. Welcome to the world of COVID.

Reply #867235 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Waste of time? Playing the sport we all love to play? After not being able to play at all in 2020.

Please..... clearly some people need to look at why they play then, its not all about winning sport- its playing sport and especially jumping at the chance to play a game in this current environment of lockdowns. Just be grateful and take in the experience and fun of playing the sport we love and being with team mates one last time for the year.

(IF lockdowns do end cause who knows in this day and age in this wonderful state of victoria we live in lol)

Reply #867256 | Report this post

rex  
Years ago

"Either play it out or crown the top teams as champions, there are only 2 ways around it... this is not rocket science"

You cant crown a team champions when the season is not completed! if it is not played out you have to call it a no result for the year. Big V records can not have a team listed a Champions after playing a handful of games.

What if 2 teams are tied on top?

Reply #867260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well at this point, there are no teams tied for 1st in any of the divisions and 75% of the games have been played. keysoborough and RMIT are several games ahead of 2nd and keilor is first and have beaten the teams behind them. it's not a season like any other

Reply #867263 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

you have to have a finals series surely or at a minimum a grand final 1v2 to determine best team.

Yes ladder positions are potentially unbalanced due to cancelled rounds and some teams might have a better win/loss percentage thanks to striking it lucky on the fixture with easy teams lol

But what is a season without a Grand Final considering as the person above said there was still about 80 per cent of games played this year. Surely a team needs to be crowned winner despite their being an asterix obviously against it lol

Reply #867271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone confirm, (as of Tuesday night) Bellarine will host Shepp this weekend in Div1 Men. Straight from a Bellarine player a club game.

Reply #867273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry been told at a Geelong club game on Tuesday night.

Reply #867274 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

All games off this weekend now after news yesterday of further lockdown extension by uncle dan another week

Reply #867277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would NBL1 South go ahead then? Makes no sense.

Reply #867279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do we need to crown a winner? No promotion??.. getting people to return immediately post-lockdown AGAIN is only increasing risk of injuries.
Keep teams hungry so they come back in 2022, dont force them into games with no value now.
Crown the teams at the top and call it a day. Clubs who want refunds are kidding themselves. You signed up for a season during Covid, you knew the potential for missed games.

Reply #867287 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why crown a winner? in the scheme of things it means jack.

Reply #867288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a timeframe for the Big V to be completed by? If not why not put it on hold and come back inOctober to finish it off? Victoria will be 80% Vaccinated by then

Reply #867336 | Report this post

our club did their survey on end of season dates etc in May/june i think on season extension when they were postponing rather than cancelling all those earlier rounds lost in the earlier lockdowns.

They arrived at mid-late September as the consensus from most assoc on when to finish or cut off the season. Which is around 3-4 weeks from previous years.

The question is will we even get back on court in september for finals under this state government LOL

2021 has fast become a pain like 2020

Reply #867349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 Albury vs Bendigo playing in Wodonga this weekend. Mt Gambier & Launceston/North West also scheduled.

Reply #867363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? Are they expecting magically other teams will be able to play the following week?

Reply #867367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regional Big V teams are playing 'scratch matches' against each other this weekend.

Reply #867372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if that's not a competitive advantage going into finals I don’t know what is.

Especially if Big V decide in 2 weeks time they are going to start back and go straight into finals with Melbourne teams having been unable to train for a month.

Reply #867373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which regional teams are having "scratch matches"?

Reply #867394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aware Bellarine playing Shepperton as fixtured but no other scratch matches as you suggest from Geelong Regional teams.

Reply #867396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that game for points or are they just playing it as a practice game?

Reply #867398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now I presume for points which seems a bit made. Game was going ahead last I heard earlier in the week. Have to wait until live scores to confirm.

Reply #867400 | Report this post

nah someone from geelong told me all regional games this weekend were cancelled after uncle dan decided to keep us prisoners another week !. A sign next week i reckon will be a no go I would say even if government allow end of next week will be too short a notice and no one can train next week

looks like will be straight to finals if we even get that - cause uncle dan loves keeping us as prisoners

Reply #867519 | Report this post

Gman  
Years ago

Straight from a club Big V season finals for top 4 teams will occur for everyone Yay!!!!!!!

Aiming for 11/12 sept all finals played on one weekend at big large metro venues selcted by league to give best shot to complete them and regional teams will travel down for weekend.

a reserve week will be used I think the next week 18/19 sept if not able to play 11/12 sept or clubs arent able to train during the week leading up to finals. which makes sense to ensuring they can at least train together once or twice before playing finals fgames.

Well done big v - aim for the stars !!!! we all need hope and what a brilliant plan and news for us all.

But bad news will be 18-19 Sep the cord will officially be CUT on the season . Fingers crossed !!!!!!

Reply #867980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow train once before a double header of FINALS basketball!

Good luck to all those who will have injuries galore after doing nothing for 5 weeks!

Just plain stupid.

Reply #867992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Vs most ridiculous idea yet.

What a joke. Zero consultation.

Surely there was a better way job keeper could have been spent.

Reply #867993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are players ok with this? Are coaches ok with this? Have any of the teams been consulted? Country vic teams can train while metro teams can't even go outside... go figure how this is a good idea

Reply #867995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many injuries were there after the last lockdown was lifted?

Reply #868002 | Report this post

Gman  
Years ago

i cant believe the society we have become!

big v said to our club that if you dont want to pay finals then dont, they arent holding a gun to your head to play if you have issues with injuries

If a team doesnt want to play they will just push up 5th we were told. If 5th arent keen they will just have a top 3. Makes sense to mme and fines for forfeits and stuffwont happen.

If you dont want to play dont its that simple rather than moaning about it being unfair they are choosing to try and close off a season which everyone has competed so hard in playing in and try for a positive in something actualy being completed and not cancelled for once in life!!

In shock by societys attitudes currently towards everything.
If you dont want to play dont ! But dont moan at people like me being given the hope and opportunity to hopefully get back on court with my mates and playing finals! Last time i checked thats why i play - not sure what u play for?

Reply #868004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few teams are going to refuse to play finals

Reply #868099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ good decision by those teams. Big injury risk to come out of this long a lockdown, straight into games. For those who are likely to get knocked out after the 1st finals game, that's big risk for very little reward

Reply #868126 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

Agree ^

Why would you risk unless you were pretty confident you could win the championship.

Reply #868129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In all seriousness if you were Whittlesea D2M and you are faced with having to play RMIT. Why would you bother?

Trying to keep your team hanging on over the next month to risk injury only to get flogged by a team that is light years ahead of everyone else in that comp.

Wouldn't you just rather call the season and send your players into an early preseason?

This is only an example and by no means a go at Whittlesea .

Reply #868130 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Might need to wrap those teams in cotton wool next year too.

Reply #868131 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Might need to wrap those teams in cotton wool next year too.

Reply #868132 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Clearly Anon has no idea.

Not training for months and going straight into finals is asking for injuries.

Weigh up Risk vs Reward.

Reply #868133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#130 What a dumb. post. So on one hand you cry about injuries (I'm sure you're the same anon who does it continually) and then you say "Wouldn't you just rather call the season and send your players into an early preseason?"

They are in lockdown Einstein. What "Early Preseason" can they do that they can't do know?

There weren't any injuries after last lockdown so please put the harp down and get on with it. Either play or don't play but my goodness the injuries, pray jesus....ffs

Reply #868134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There weren't any injuries, or there weren't any injuries AT YOUR CLUB?

Reply #868138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all divisions/conferences will now proceed to a Top-4 finals series. All finals will be played at metropolitan league selected venues only and completed over a single weekend of 9-12 September 2021 (time of games/venues TBA).

If in the unfortunate case Victoria or Metropolitan Melbourne continue to endure Government restrictions in which basketball is not able to be played as at 11:59pm Monday 6 September, the finals series will not take place on the scheduled dates and will be postponed to the 'reserve week' of 16-19 September in attempt to complete the season.

If restrictions continue in this way as at 11:59pm Monday 13 September, the 2021 season will be cancelled with no team declared winners.

Reply #868154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With no relegation next year why not name a winner. Reward teams for a hard season to play with all the stops and starts and to maintain a high standard should be rewarded.

Reply #868155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed! 2 undefeated teams in D1 and D2, they did what was necessary up to this point if there were to be no finals.

Reply #868171 | Report this post

EXCITED!!!!!!  
Years ago

Disagree

You need a finals series for a legit champion team and season I would have thought. I reckon they have made right call here for sure. Even teams currently top would agree with it they need to earn it through finals to prove they are the bestand deserved winers
Especially considering ladders had to be win/loss% to determine top 4 finals teams after all the cancelled rounds as well with this new lockdown

Reply #868191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course you would disagree, you want another chance to win which is fair but in a season unlike any other, undefeated teams have shown to be better and keysborough has run through our competition with ease and proven to be the best. not sure about rmit however

Reply #868194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RMIT are better than Keysborough

Reply #868266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ based on what? Fanboys?

Reply #868269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact they whooped them preseason

Reply #868278 | Report this post

EXCITED!!!!!!  
Years ago

I reckon on a par RMIT and Keysborough

I reckon the league should both straight into Champ ! Add some depth of teams in Champ to 12 rather than 10

Reply #868369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be no finals the way this is looking now.

Reply #868385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no way finals happen now... shepparton with 12 cases and that will put all of country vic in lockdown, 30 cases in the community today as well and that is only going to grow. give it a month and we will have cases in the hundreds like sydney.

Reply #868398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria have been in a harsh lockdown. This isn't getting to current NSW numbers. It’s impossible

Reply #868402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every chance. No finals for any VIC or NSW teams

Reply #868403 | Report this post

Who is this Excited clown?

"I reckon on a par RMIT and Keysborough"
Yeah cos a team undefeated in D1 is the same as a D2 team.

“I reckon the league should both straight into Champ ! Add some depth of teams in Champ to 12 rather than 10”

Ummmm yeah I'll have what you are smoking.. look at the teams that have been promoted recently. Why do you not realise there is actually a difference between divisions.

Reply #868405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going on Excited's logic. Then RMIT should skip D1 and go straight to Champ men. LMFAO!!

Reply #868407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mmm i actually believe it - with the resources RMIT have, why can't they? Don't make the mistake of thinking it's the exact same roster going up.

Reply #868436 | Report this post

shattering 2021  
Years ago

NOT LOOKING GOOD everyone another 80 odd cases.

Cant see us getting out of lockdown by 13th september when call will be made on big v year i think

Cant see us getting back on court even for pre season training in Nov/Dec at this rate !!!!!

Reply #868964 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Shattered I think we will all be put out of our misery next Tuesday -wed when they extend lockdown a couple more weeks which will mean season cancelled
14th august cut off date on website to be training else gonski and finals won't happen on the 18th

Was nice to dream a little of being allowed by our wonderful government to dribble a basketball again indoors

Reply #869009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754