Anonymous
Years ago

FIBA rankings 2021

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/slovenia-and-france-break-into-top-five-of-the-fiba-world-ranking-presented-by-nike

How does Slovenia leap frog France?

Topic #49103 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be

USA
Spain
France
Australia
Slovenia

Reply #867341 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

What an amazing sport we love at the international level.

Worry not about the semantics of where teams are placed, just appreciate that we have so many countries that are playing this sport and producing NBA players and becoming stronger.

We have so many great players/countries that miss big tournaments and It only excites more to see Lithuania and Serbia types more and see their redemptions... so many stories to be told going forward especially with how the Boomers and Tall Blacks go forward with Ben Simmons and Steven Adams potentially being added for future tournaments.

I absolutely love it and only wish we had more tournaments coming up... kinda jealous how cricket and rugby play so many internationals each year in comparison to basketball

Reply #867342 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Steven Adams isn't going to play for the Tall Blacks.
His chip on his shoulder with BBNZ from when he was a kid will always put a stop to that.

Reply #867343 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

having a look at how they come up with the totals...

need to be a mathematician

looks worse than the duckworth lewis debacle that is run in cricket...

Reply #867345 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Can't take too much out of this, it's always dependent on what players are playing in those tournaments, but top 6 looks right. Greece maybe higher with Giannis although he's never been amazing at FIBA level yet. Canada is a team that could be a lot higher, but seem to care less than USA.

Reply #867346 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

I havn't looked into too much but have they changed the system to add extra weight to regional comps (Asia cup, Eurobasket and such)

I always thought it a bit weird that Australia and Argentina were 3 and 4 but they could be there because they are the best of their regions. likewise, slovenia only took 4th in the olympics but they won the eurobasket which could place them above France?

But at the same time, not a single African team in the top 20? Anyone have any insight on this?

Reply #867348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France 3rd wc, 2nd olympics

5th...

Reply #867351 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

So after posting i bothered to actually check, yes, regional compoitions are included so teams that are dominant in their region (Australia and Argentina) will score highly. Teams that win the eurobasket comp also score highly because you get more points for that then other regional comps...

Reply #867352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be hard to stay in top 3

Reply #867355 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Steven Adams isn't going to play for the Tall Blacks.
His chip on his shoulder with BBNZ from when he was a kid will always put a stop to that."

Yeah, that sucks a bit. I mean, his issue is with Basketball NZ and fair enough, but can he not see the benefit of playing for his country, helping to inspire the next generation of kiwis and showing the world the strength of NZ basketball? If not, I just think it's flat out un-patriotic. But whatever. he can do him.

"But at the same time, not a single African team in the top 20? Anyone have any insight on this?"

I have an insight on this - they're not very good.

"France 3rd wc, 2nd olympics

5th..."

Yeah I thought that was pretty weird too. They must have absolutely crashed and burned in the previous Olympics.

======

Anyway, I am really proud of our Boomers - THIRD IN THE WORLD. It's a placing we've had for a while now that is finally validated and solidified with a medal. we've paid our dues and we've been consistent across the past 5 plus years to be here as a genuine world power in the sport. Couldn't be happier with the team and with the state of the sport in this country. As chopper might say, "fukkn tops!"

Reply #867368 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

" teams that are dominant in their region (Australia and Argentina) will score highly."

But regions are weighted differently. Our wins in Asia are not weighted as much as wins in Euro championships.

Reply #867391 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"How does Slovenia leap frog France?"

I guess they also received more points for winning Olympic qualification games. It's a system based on wins (depending on opposition, margin, game importance, etc), with bonuses for placements in tournaments. Slovenia picked off some extra scalps in qualification.

Reply #867392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's rankings coming out will be interesting, heads should roll if they drop out of top 5

Reply #867393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

System needs to change for sure. More points rewarded for major tournaments.

Reply #867395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slovenia won the 2017 Eurobasket, which is weighted the highest of any non major tournament.

However, I struggle to see how they can be ranked above France given Slovenia didn't qualify for the major tournaments in 2016 and 2019, and France finished 6th and 3rd in those and blitzed the WC qualifiers?

Reply #867401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

System fked

Canada 4th?

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/usa-on-top-of-fiba-women-s-rankings-while-china-and-japan-join-top-eight

Reply #867469 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

@Mystro, my apologies mate, I just remember Adams hating in Australia because of the underarm so I thought he'd love to get a go at getting himself some retribution but he comes across as far more complex and complicated than what his game shows.

I'm a massive fan of his game and would love to see him playing for Tall Blacks

Reply #867480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754