NBL1 OG
Years ago

NBL1 Central Awards

Only just found out this happens tomorrow I thought it was before the grand final. Will make this quick and see how close I get.

Woollacott - CJ Turnage
Consistent performer in both wins and losses, took a decent team to a double chance 3rd position. Asked to do a lot for Norwood in Webber's absence this year and has risen to the challenge.

All star 5
PG - Julian Jacobs
SG - Michael Harris
SF - Cameron Coleman
PF - CJ Turnage
C - Greg Mays

Jacobs over Daly who was solid for Sturt but benefitted from a great system. Harris a no brainer for his outstanding offensive production. Coleman best player on the surprise team in the league. Turnage as above and Mays just ahead of McCalop and Jackson.

Defensive player - Greg Mays
Impacts the play even when he isn’t blocking shots. Easy decision, followed by Jacobs who showed quick hands.

Youth player - Keanu Rasmussen
If you weren’t convinced by his numbers already, the Sabres form since he left should give an indication to how valuable he was to Sturt this year.

Coach - Paul Rigoni
Only just over Morrell from Tigers. Sturt have the best system, play hard both ends, and have the top seed without any imports. Morrell’s Tigers have over achieved but he comes in second place here to Rigoni.

Topic #49137 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woollacott - CJ Turnage

Starling the standout early, McVeigh the standout late, neither played enough games.

All-Star 5
PG - Sam Daly
SG - Alex Starling
SF - CJ Turnage
PF - Jack McVeigh
C - Greg Mays

Daly over Jacobs for being more consistent across games and during games. Also for taking his team without imports to first, with help from Spear, Rasmussen and Griscti. Not sure how games affects All star 5 but Starling carried South before his injury. McVeigh is the best player in the comp right now, only played 9 games though.

Defensive player - Alex Starling
League leader in steals and rebounds, defends 1 - 5, I don't buy the obsession with bigs being good at defence because they block shots. Mays isn't as quick as Starling. Doesn't read the game as well either.

Youth player - Keanu Rasmussen
Agreed. Clear winner.

Coach - Paul Rigoni
I think Rigoni will win in a landslide but its a popularity contest as much as a COY selection. Sturt's late season slide and Rigoni's different demeanour as a result is showing frustration which hasn't been there previously. Will be interesting to see how finals go. Morrell and Malat have over achieved IMO.

Reply #868459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Halls - Teige Morrell
Has been near unstoppable all season. Lead her team to clear top. Top 3 in Points, Rebounds, and shot at 62%

All star 5
PG - Alex Wilson
SG - Sam Simons
SF - Olivia Thompson
PF - Jess Good
C - Teige Morrell

I think 4 are automatic selections. Wide open for the 5th spot. Unlucky to miss were Kylee Smith, Mollie McKendrick, Taylor Ortlepp, Brooke Basham, Emily Winter, Morgan Yaeger.

Defensive player - Jess Good
Underrated defensively. League leader in blocks, 2nd in steals, 3rd rebounds. Can defend post players and on the wing.

Youth player - Sam Simons
Had some trouble with fouls and shooting % but has led a thin Eagles line up to 4th and just missed the double chance.

Coach - Matt Clarke
Asute, calm, respected coach at Tigerland. Experienced Player now turned that into an impressive coach. Certainly one of the few shining lights coming through the SA system. Hopefully bigger things for him down the track.

Reply #868470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling at SG, at least put Turnage or McVeigh there and Starling at one of forwards.
Interesting that Ross not even close. Can see why he bounces around.

Reply #868476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Artacho not in this conversation, yet. If he has another season like this year he will be. Massively underrated player

Reply #868506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that when he is the conversation opposition coaches and players will pay him more attention. At the moment that's not happening consistently

Reply #868525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Artacho had a very solid season for Southern including last night. As this award is based on Woollacott votes I think Rasmussen will be the clear winner and deservedly so.

Reply #868527 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754