JT
Years ago

Makur Maker to Sydney (Next Star)

Just announced. Good for the league.

Topic #49138 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah good to see, hopefully he can improve his game and get a shot at the nba. Maybe should have gone to a bigger uni though. Wonder if someone can get Thon back.

Reply #868460 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Nice but I thought that he did not like the NBL? I guess he changed his mind. Looking forward to see him perform.

Reply #868461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very excited to watch him play. If he plays well he could be a late 1st round to 2nd round pick.

Reply #868462 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

I recall him bagging the league at one point.
But, he's probably had a reality check the last few years of where he’s actually at having previously thought of himself as a one and done lottery pick. He probably realises this is his best chance to develop and take the next step. If it doesn’t work out, at least he can stay on.
Definitely interested to see how he pans out as we rarely get locals with his length and athleticism entering our league.

Reply #868463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to have him in the league.
Wish him all the best.

Reply #868464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All teams should have a Next Star.

Reply #868465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting to look more like...

6'0 J.Adams(i)/6’3 S.Bruce/6’2 B.Bayles
6’5 R.Hunter/6’4 A.Glover/6’6 W.Swaka Lo Buluk(ir)
6’8 X.Cooks/6’5 M.Maluach?/6’6 J.Galloway(dp)
6’11 M.Maker(ns)/6’6 T.Vodanovich
6’10 J.Martin(i)/6’10 J.Hunter

Reply #868468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any chances matur maker coming to the nbl

Reply #868469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is a four man, Maker is not starting.

Reply #868471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they need a backup centre

Reply #868472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Averaged 6 points in g league. Hardly setting the world on fire

Reply #868473 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

And this is where we need to make clear its MAKUR Maker, not MATUR Maker.

Definitely like the move - how much court-time is he expected to see? I'd be concerned running a Maker/Martin front court for the reasons mentioned above - but then has Maker signed up for backup 4 minutes?

Reply #868486 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Lets hope that Ed Smith keeps his nose out of it and the Kings coach and staff can do their jobs as a lot of people from years ago would know what sought of person Ed Smith was.

Keep him as far away as possible.

Reply #868499 | Report this post

UgotNxt  
Years ago

Great to see Makur Maker joining the NBL with the Sydney Kings. Great chance for not only the NBA to evaluate him but also the Boomer. The NBL will provide him a high level of competition and the Sydney Kings have a staff that's familiar with the NBA. Great choice!

Reply #868504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker
Dieng
Mikhailovski
King
Hukporti

Need ns

Illawara sg
Sem sf bates?
Cairns sg
Perth pf
Brisbane c chuanxing?

Reply #868507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone should grab the Korean sg

Reply #868508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hyunjung lee 6'7 sg 2022 mock around #70

Reply #868509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lee is now ranked #29 on 2022 mock draft.
Illawara good fit.

Reply #868510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think we might see Gapare to sem, the nz connection.

Reply #868511 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Based on what I know about Lee, it seems like he will continue to stay with Davidson. He did not even play in the OQT because of college commitments. That dude can definitely play. Hopefully he will get drafted next year. 

Reply #868513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bates ain't coming it’s 3 ncaa schools or ignite.

Reply #868514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Gapare was supposed to be with gw ncaa but he's not.

They should have got Lee last year and also paid Daniels more money.

Reply #868515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Gapare a small forward or power forward?

Reply #868517 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@515

Well, sometimes things don't pan out the way we hope too. Maybe if Lee had an offer last year, he would have played in the NBL, but for now, he will commit to Davidson. Correction to Lee about the OQT. Sorry, it has been a while now, so my memory is not as good. There were reports before OQT that he could not play for Korea, but at the last second he was cleared by Davidson. He did play for them. The box score is here if you want.

https://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/lithuania/2020/game/2506/Korea-Lithuania#|tab=boxscore

https://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/lithuania/2020/game/2406/Venezuela-Korea#|tab=boxscore

Reply #868518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gapare is a combo forward, both.

Reply #868519 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People seem to be confusing Makur with Matur and Thon. Makur hasn't played in the G League and to my knowledge has never talked shit about the NBL.

Either way I'd been thinking to myself lately 'where are the future Boomers in the NBL?' You might be able to say Xavier Cooks and DJ Vaseljic but they're big 'maybes'. Ryan Broeekhoff and Delly might find form and put themselves in the conversation again I suppose. But I think Makur Maker is one kid you see that has the potential to be a Tokyo Olympian if he develops the right way. He has the physical tools he just needs to develop everything else around it and he's landed in a fantastic place to do it.

Reply #868521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people are so stupid these days....

Reply #868522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut having a whinge about lock downs, lol, didn't want to fly to Perth to finish a GF series due to covid.

Reply #868526 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@ME

He didn't talk shit, I just remembered him saying that the NBL was out of his options. Nothing negative or controversial about it. Since I read that article before, I was surprised that he decided to play in the NBL, especially since he committed to NCAA college at that time.

https://pickandroll.com.au/p/nbl-option-is-definitely-out-makur-maker-focused-on-nba-and-college-options

Reply #868529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is worse than Stevy posting on here.
Doing it twice.

Reply #868531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL needs more Sudanese fellas. Australian sport is too white Washed already.

Reply #868533 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"The NBL needs more Sudanese fellas. Australian sport is too white Washed already."

Yeah I agree, race should be the determining factor for NBL contracts lol

Reply #868537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As cambage says there is a huge lack of diversity in Australian sports

Reply #868538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like to see more aboriginal players get given opportunities instead of the afl getting the majority.

Reply #868540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks the NBL isn't already multi cultural is an idiot.

Reply #868543 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Haha taking Cambage serious - that's a paddlin'

I don't think there is any secret glass ceiling keeping anyone out of sport. If you're good enough, you're going to be found and put in the position to succeed. Now you can make argumnents about there needing to be more targeted development of Sudanese and Aboriginal players and that they need more pathways, but I don't think you can genuinely say there is anyone of any colour who is, as of right now, good enough to make a meaningful contribution at NBL level who is not getting that shot because of their skin colour. You might be able to say some kid with great potential wasn't properly developed but that is something that happens well before any question of professional league.

Reply #868545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recent u19 men team certainly showed a trend of where our promising players are coming from.

Reply #868547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at cricket. There are heaps of talented brown Indian kids who get overlooked for rep/ state teams for white kids. Basketball Australia is the same. If there are two equally talented kids and one us white and the other one is black/brown. You know who will get picked. Australia is still a very racist country.

Reply #868548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again did you not see the u19 men's side recently?

Reply #868550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the sudanese kids on that u19 team were bench warmers. They could of just been picked to fit the diversity narrative that basketball Australia pretends to push.

Reply #868551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't particularly agree with the sentiment above but will say that under 19 team would have been better with Giddey.
I think most guys on that team have promising future.

Reply #868555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were only 2 white guys on the team...

Reply #868556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok so how is that not racist?

FWIW, I think Bball has a class issue, not racial. Unfortunately minorities make up higher proportion of the classes that can't afford club/rep Bball.

Reply #868560 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

|Look at cricket. There are heaps of talented brown Indian kids who get overlooked for rep/ state teams for white kids. Basketball Australia is the same. If there are two equally talented kids and one us white and the other one is black/brown. You know who will get picked. Australia is still a very racist country"

Do you have anything vaguely resembling evidence to make that claim, or just your armchair view that kid A is as good (or better) than kid B, which cannot possibly be determined here?

"Ok so how is that not racist?

FWIW, I think Bball has a class issue, not racial. Unfortunately minorities make up higher proportion of the classes that can't afford club/rep Bball."

This would be more likely the issue than racism. Racism is just the branch dumb people reach for when they cant explain why everything doesnt look the way they feel it should. "Oh, there's not perfectly equal representation in every single area across the entire western society? That must be racism and sexism!" Cant be explained any other possible way. It's the lazy man's way out of a debate they don't fully comprehend. And while racism exists, and there is some racism out there, and I think it infects a lot of areas, blaming racism for everything to me often looks like medievil people blaming the sun gods for the lack of crops to harvest.

Reply #868563 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I saw the Under 19 squad and I thought in a lot of ways it's a positive thing. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, the athleticism from African/American African/Australians is another level up. What is an athletic white guy? Mitch Creek. Mitch Creek is entry level among black basketballers. What's an athletic black guy? Well in the Australian context, Mattise Thybulle. There just is NO comparison in that way. That's a genetic thing. It is what it is.

I don't think people should be shoehorned into teams for their race but I also thought the make up of the U19 team was perfectly positive for the future of basketball. Kids of all colours with all sorts of abilities and skillsets are going to come through the ranks and it's a great thing for Australian basketball. Yes, more Sudanese kids with unique frames, athleticism will find their way into the NBL, NBA and the Boomers and it's fantastic. But no one should be a quota in this game.

Reply #868565 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

'FWIW, I think Bball has a class issue, not racial. Unfortunately minorities make up higher proportion of the classes that can't afford club/rep Bball.'

100%, I used to try out for under 16's and 18's SBL, but didn't played for one of the paid clubs (folks could only afford for me to play in church leagues). The coaches literally told me you're good enough to be starting 5, but you'll just sit on the bench because you don't play for a local club and we have to give those spots to them. There were even guys that were injured, didn't try out, but would be selected to play ahead of me when they were fit again. It was very disheartening for a 14 year old who's life was basketball.

Reply #868588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thon signed in Israel, will be interesting.

Reply #868862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makur Maker listed as #91 on the latest ESPN mock draft. Will need to play well to move up the board.

Reply #868866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will make top 60

Reply #868867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#14 Ousmane Dieng
#35 Hugo Besson
#47 Ariel Hukporti
#74 Mojave King
#86 Nikita Mikhailovskii
#91 Makur Maker

All the next stars in the top 100 on ESPN mock.

Reply #868868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dyson Daniels at #16. Will be interesting to see what happens with his stock playing with g-league ignite.

Reply #868869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most guys will improve imo.

Reply #868870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting Kai Sotto did not make the top 100 list. Isn't he also a next star?

Reply #868875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asia player

Reply #868876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh my bad I thought Sotto was qualified as a next star. I guess you need to be in mock drafts to qualify to the program. Anyways I think all the NBL prospects should move up the rankings, especially King and Maker.

Reply #868880 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Kai has been inactive for over a year now in the rankings. He used to be in the top 60 before the pandemic. It seems like his performances in the FIBA ACQ and the FIBA OQT did not have any effect at all on his rankings. All the NBL stars and Kai should hopefully have a higher ranking as the season progresses. 

Reply #868904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754