RobT
Years ago

Pre-Season Blitz NBL Cup.

Just read in the Corey Webster thread that Breakers are ready to go, imports and all, 3 months out from the season.

During that time they will learn, train, play pre-season games against other teams and fit in a trip to USA, Asia, or Europe (my suggestion, earlier last week) and take part in the pre-season Blitz. We also have WC qualifiers as our season is kicking off and the NBL cup early in the shortened 2022 season.

If all teams were as well prepared as the Breakers, pre-season Blitz games could be re-vamped into the NBL Cup, all teams at full strength, results now matter, but generally unknown to the public and even to each other (apart from scouting, of course).

Could look like this:

Say, a month of learning/training, 2 weeks of NBL Cup (instead of Blitz), a month to 6 weeks (remember quarantines etc) for OS trips, WC qualifiers and preparation for season-proper, season opens.

Every year, we all look forward to the season and the Blitz as it's season opener. Too often, we complain that they are meaningless, and that teams are understrength, lacking their imports, and generally a bit blah.

Could this sort of pre-season schedule generate meaning and genuine interest in pre-season activities?

Topic #49145 | Report this topic

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I was never a big fan of the Blitz. Not much history since it's a preseason tournament. No one really cares. But rather have the NBL Blitz then just scratch up games with no media around them.

How many games will each team play in NBL22?

I heard there will be 140 games. Not 162 like last season when each team played 36 games.

Reply #868581 | Report this post

Statman84  
Years ago

@Giacontigers - hey bro

My understanding is that there will be 140 games - 28 games per team and no NBL Cup.

Reply #868582 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Interesting the NBL will go back to 28 games. 32 games would make sense. Why not verse 5 teams four times then your last 4 teams three times.

5 x 4 = 20
4 x 3 = 12
20 + 12 = 32

But personally the NBL could of stayed with 36 games. Making each team play each other 4 times.

9 x 4 = 36?

Bit unfair say you play a few top teams 4 times and then you may verse the weaker teams 3 times.

Reply #868584 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Wasn't a big fan when the NBL stayed with 28 games when some teams played each 4 times then you versed other teams 3 times a season. It’s a stupid idea and can be detrimental to your season.

Maybe have 27 games.
3 x 9 = 27.

NBL seriously needs 11/12 teams.

3 x 10 = 30 games.
3 x 11 = 33 games.

Reply #868585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I think the NBL will go with each team versing each other 3 times a season then you will verse your rival 4 times.

United v Phoenix (4 times)
Kings v Hawks (4 times)
Bullets v Taipans (4 times)
Sixers v Wildcats (4 times)
JackJumpers v Breakers (4 times)

3 x 8 = 24 + 4 = 28 games.

Reply #868586 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Playing each team an uneven amount of times is going to make an interesting scheduling problem - how to make sure teams play the correct number of home games each season while also hopefully making it so no one team plays consecutive seasons with two away games against any one team.

Reply #868589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

28 games is an issue. Even playing each team 4 times seems too much, but it makes sense because then every team plays each team twice at home and away.

No wonder the schedule hasn't been released yet.

It’s becoming very complex. Who plays who twice. Would suck if you had Perth twice and only once at home.

Reply #868590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The uneven schedule will cause issues for some forum users.

For me I would actually go with a 9 times 2 (18 game base model) then put all 10 teams in one location for hub and play each other team once ( cup style) with the top 2 playing an extra game as a "cup grand final thus arriving at a total of 28 games.

Reply #868593 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

That's a great idea.

@NBL you better listen to Anonymous #868593 idea.

Reply #868596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trolls

Reply #868598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous #868593 Your idea doesn't make any sense?

Only 2 teams will play 28 games and then the other 8 teams will play play 27 games..

Reply #868599 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Having one "neutral" game balances the home/away issues, but means teams lose gate revenue (which, let's be honest, is probably going to happen regardless based on the current COVID clusterf*Ck). There's no perfect system with an uneven amount of teams, even playing more games (4x each team) which in what is already going to be a condensed season will most likely end up like the Blitz last season - increase in injuries/fatigue and lower quality games as the season progresses...

I expect 3x each team with lots of complaints about who gets two @ Perth games, and a Blitz-like tourney would depend on what happens with COVID over the next couple of months, but it's of course possible the whole league ends up down in Melbourne playing in empty stadiums...

Reply #868600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#599 the other 8 teams could play "placing" games to fulfil the 28 games.

Whatever happens this season will be wrecked by covid regardless.

Reply #868603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just play everyone 4 times. 36 games and no complaints.

Either way some teams will have no choice playing in empty stadiums. It's a covid world. May as well have the extra 6 games to cover the 28 home and away fixtures if covid happens.

Reply #868606 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The interesting part about all the season is how the NBL are going to deal with WA restrictions.

Reply #868612 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

pre-season Blitz games could be re-vamped into the NBL Cup, all teams at full strength, results now matter,
They only matter if teams agree they matter, which they never will for pre-season. They already crown a Blitz champion, renaming it the NBL Cup won't change anything.

Reply #868613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, makes no sense.

Reply #868614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fixtures will be uneven. No clubs will be happy no matter what the NBL do with 28 games?

Reply #868615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Personally I think the NBL will go with each team versing each other 3 times a season then you will verse your rival 4 times."

NBL poetry slam? Sounds fun! :-)

Reply #868620 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The NBL will just get the Wildcats to play on the road like NZ will in regards to WA's Covid restrictions

Reply #868625 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

At this stage the Wildcats first couple of games would be on the road, but the same with Sydney, Melbourne.

Very tricky situation with New South Wales. I wouldn't be surprised if the season gets delayed again.

Reply #868632 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754