KET
Years ago

NBL and unvaccinated players

NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger has revealed the league is considering introducing a replacement player system for unvaccinated players for away teams during the 2021/22 season.

"We are not a legislative government, so we are not going to mandate that someone puts something into their body if it is against a cultural or religious belief for example.

https://nbl.com.au/news/nbl-considering-replacements-for-unvaccinated-players-loeliger

How pissed off are people going to be if their players, particularly star players don't get vaccinated and can’t play half the games?

If you’re a club - why hire players that might not be able to play half the games?

Are players that don’t play all the games going to get full pay because contracts are based on time periods instead of number of games?

Topic #49158 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is the future. Interstate travel/international travel, if you are not fully vaccinated you will not be allowed in. WA will be the poster child. You currently have to show 1 jab to be lucky enough to get to quarantine. If you want to play elite level national sport you must be vaccinated. Simple

Reply #868987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Williams is reporting that unvaccinated players will be kidnapped in Perth.

Reply #868990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually thought this was a very adult response to the debacle. They specifically mention religious beliefs rather than anti-vaxers per se.

Reply #868992 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Perths home court advantage now growing beyond the refs, the government is going to lock out opposition players from the state.

Reply #868993 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Unless any of Perths players aren't vaccinated and can't leave the state because they won't be allowed back in

Reply #868996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NRL have already said all players will have to be vaccinated. Odd that the NBL claim they can't do the same. Business are slowing enforcing this too.

I'd rather they took that approach for the safety of all.

Reply #868997 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Cultural and Religious beliefs should never be accepted as a reason not to be vaccinated. To condone myth and superstition allows it to thrive. Next we will be allowing the religious to withhold necessary medical intervention for their sick children.

Reply #868998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

99.9% survival rate and the hysteria around COVID compared to other diseases.

Everything turned to shit unfortunately

Reply #868999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully this will spur some people into action then. No jab, no play. As someone else mentioned, this is the way it's going. Are anti-vaxxers seriously going to give up their careers....

Reply #869000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"99.9% survival rate and the hysteria around COVID"

Symptoms of the hysteria include wrong buttons being pressed on calculators so that even seemingly basic arithmetic calculations end up with horribly inaccurate results.

Reply #869002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You believe the government then you probably think nasa went to the moon as well

Reply #869007 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Australia played a significant part in the moon landing as well thanks to our geographical position and signal technology - don't give NASA complete credit

Reply #869008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's why they haven’t been back but have been to mars

Reply #869010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players have every right to not be vaccinated if they chose. Blame that on the federal government.

What they don't have the right to is their pay IF they can't play due to their choice to no be vaccinated. No jab and not able to travel? No pay for that game.

Reply #869016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect some of these anti-vaxers are in fact (or will be) vaccinated which will be awkward for them.

Reply #869021 | Report this post

Silesti  
Years ago

I think that such rules are against players` rights

Reply #869023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doing something for the sake of public health is entirely different to choosing not to do something which only affects the individual. By not getting vaccinated, you're potentially also infecting others and also putting a whole team at risk ( esp if others aren't vaccinated in the team), or perhaps other community members around you if they legitimately can't get the vaccine (only a small % in this category though).

If someone has an STD but says "I choose not to wear a condom because I want to do whatever I want," do you really think that's acceptable? We get "told" not to drink and drive for the safety of ourselves and others too.

For me, the vaccine is in the same category. Also, no idea why any of the athletes would want to risk long covid. Jayson Tatum had it for months and has spoken about his struggles - https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/04/14/jayson-tatum-still-dealing-with-long-term-covid-effects-reveals-he-uses-inhaler-before-games/?sh=5c7f37e4a898

P.s that moon comment was ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #869037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think that such rules are against players` rights"

The NBL is not saying players can't play if they’re not vaccinated. They’re saying that if players can’t travel because of interstate border restrictions requiring unvaccinated players to quarantine, then they’re considering rules to allow the teams to replace those players.

Reply #869066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Silesti what the hell are you on about?

Reply #869107 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

AussiePride... religious people are already using religion to stop medical intervention. Have been for some time.

Reply #869138 | Report this post

Reperio  
Years ago

If the NBL pressures players to have an mRNA injection, I won't be buying tickets and attending games.

The last thing anyone wants to see is another player collapse or die, as has been occurring with European and North American football players over the past few months.

Reply #869158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link?

Reply #869160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lmao. Nbl would be better with out you being there, I'd certainly feel safer.

Reply #869161 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

The whole mandatory vaccination debate especially for things like sports will be over when the national targets are met, and the suppression of information about rapid antigen testing stops.

The Vaccines do reduce chances of serious illness, but don't stop transmission, so rapid antigen testing is actually just as big of a part of ending restrictions in the long term as the Vaccines are, especially when it comes to travel and large events such as national competitions.

Reply #869173 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So what's going to happen after targets are met if a team flies interstate and an un-vaccinated player shows as positive in one of the quick tests? Will the game go on with only the 'safe’ players or will the game be forfeited or what?

I don’t share our federal government’s election-driven optimism that hitting the target is enough justification to open borders, have full-on entertainment, etc.

Reply #869174 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Rapid antigen testing will happen and positives will occur regardless of vaccination, how sporting leagues deal with them will change in time, who knows what the NBL will initially do.

The 70-80% target is there so the media and general public can stop acting like Covid is the plague and we accept living with it. That's not saying it's not bad before anyone jumps down my throat.

450 people die every day in Australia, the government reports expect a few thousand Covid deaths per year once we open up, in the range of 10-20 per day. That's not great, but in context it's not as bad as the media portrays it, and we must cautiously move on before more than 10-20 additional deaths are added per day due to the Covid reaction measures.

Reply #869175 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

As an example, if an NFL player tests positive they're out for 5 days and must produce negative tests before returning. Ryan Tannehill just today tested positive along with 5 teammates, they're all out for minimum 5 days, and they're all fully vaccinated.

Reply #869176 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Nbl would be better with out you being there, I'd certainly feel safer."

For sure - nobody will care if antivaxxors boycott things, just wish they'd go about contracting the virus by dying quietly and without costing the health system.

Reply #869180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoppie non-vaccinated players are going to have a hard time getting into some states least of all worrying about testing positive. And in addition just because you're vaccinated doesn’t mean you can’t catch it, just generally your symptoms are lessened.

Reply #869181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In addition NSW is proposing you have to show proof of vaccination to go into licensed premises. No jab no flying will be a given

Reply #869184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw won't be open up to any other state this year even if they get to 70%. If you actually read the report, covid cases have to be very low to keep hospitals able to function before opening up. Nsw will be 4000 by end September, they have lost the plot.

Reply #869185 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't understand why so many idiots are carrying like this is some big thing?

I remember travelling as a kid, and vaccinations against Cholera, Typhoid, and Smallpox were compulsory.
For many countries, Yellow-Fever vaccination remains compulsory.

I've worked overseas, and on each occasion, a full-range of vaccinations was compulsory. Don't want to be vaccinated, don't take the job.

Reply #869213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, D.2.

Reply #869220 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yeah, this madness over requiring to be vaccinated is stupid. Like D2.0 says, it's not a new thing, if you don't want to be vaccinated, that's your choice, but it limits your travel and employment options. That's your choice, but other people don't have to pay the price for it, you do.

Reply #869224 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:41 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754