Anonymous
Years ago

NBL1 North finals

NBL1 north resumes tonight with a bunch of finals. Who are the favourites? Do any teams lose players to NBL pre seasons or get players back from injury?

Townsville vs Cairns the match of the night if everyone is playing for both sides.

Topic #49164 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rocci vs Mangakahia, the 2 asia cup pgs on now.

Reply #869209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worried for them both, need tremendous cardio vs Japan.

Also playing 5 games in 8 days...

Reply #869211 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

1st round of North finals:

Mackay 93 / Brisbane 83
Cairns 93 / Townsville 83
Logan 96 / Southern Districts 81
USC Rip 94 / Gold Coast 74

Next Round:

Mackay v USC Rip
Logan v Cairns

Reply #869236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame some teams weren't at full strength due to NBL players being pulled back. Surely the NBL teams could see the value in letting these players stay on for two weeks before linking up.

Reply #869254 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

I see and agree with above (NBL players being pulled back) but the battle between Cadee and the Rip defence was great, as was Cadee himself. The real shame is that 3 to 4 mins left in the 4th and Cadee does his left ankle, Achilles, or ???. He didn't return to the game. Good Luck Jason.

That "great Battle" may have cost Cadee and the Bullets dearly.

That's the worst case scenario, but the pre-season is important to the NBL clubs even without the mishaps.

Townsville were missing Sam F and they lost to Cairns, while brother Harry's absence was not missed by Mackay who defeated Brisbane.

Patterson and Bruce played for SDS and Logan, both gave valuable contributions on the stats sheet, Bruce and Logan won that one!

Reply #869257 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Townsville were missing Sam F and they lost to Cairns...

...who were missing Nathan Jawai, Mirko Djeric and Majok Deng, and relying on the "Dad's Army" of Curt Ahwang, Deba George and Alex Loughton. Even Fish and Jimmy are in their early 30s, I think. And there's the Marlins starting 5, and also the only Marlins to score.

Don't forget TSV were also missing PC, who is older than dirt but never saw a 3-pointer he didn't like.

Fun times... Hope we get our Taipans back for the next round :D

Reply #869260 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Cairns Marlins defeated Logan Thunder 96 - 67 to book a place in the Grand Final v Mackay. Again, no NBL players, the oldies got it done easily.

Reply #869960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No stats for the Logan game - can someone explain what happened??

Reply #869966 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

And in the other men's game in Mackay, after trailing for 3 quarters, Mackay, and Chris Cedar in particular went on a scoring rampage that pulled them ahead of the the Sunshine Coast team and into the GF.

Mackay's Manny Malou, was pouring in the shots all game (34 of them) and his 10 boards gave him the only double-double of the game.

For Ripcity, Tanner Krebs was again the rock for this team, he had 32 points and capt Izzy Tueta added 30 for a great final game of the season.

Realistically, a 6-man RipCity rotation was not going to get it done over a full squad of Mackay veterans.

A great game with a lousy outcome (just kidding). It was a great game though.

Best result for USC RipCity in its short existence.

Mackay takes on Cairns for the GF. Good luck to both

Reply #869967 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Yeah, I couldn't find them anywhere - been happening a lot this season. Loughton, George, Fisher, Mitchell and Ahwang went nuts; Logan looked like they couldn't get it together apart from brief spurts. Marlins killed them in Q2 (30-15) and Q4 (29-15) and that's all she wrote.

Reply #869975 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Go to NBL1 home page, ribbon at top, showing games and results, click backwards and when you find that game, click on Game Centre, scroll down below the video and there it is.

or try:https://nbl1.com.au/games/836bd126-deb1-11eb-9a5f-f6dc041c79e1

Hope that helps.

Reply #869980 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Thanks RobT - works on Google Chrome and on Edge, but not on Firefox. Oh well...

Reply #869982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Logan should be embarrassed of that performance last night. Missing Obi Kyei is no excuse for what they dished up, nothing short of a stacked roster.

USC also will be licking their wounds after controlling that game a long way, hats off to Chris Cedar who just gets better with age. With no Froling you'd have to be disappointed if you were a USC fan. I think over a 3 game series they would be able to take down Cairns.

For next weekend I have Mackay dropping the opener then taking out the weekend 2-1.

Logan in the women for me too, Spartans too reliant on the 3 point shot.

Reply #869985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow excitement is at fever pitch in the Sunshine State waiting for the Finals to start.

Reply #870696 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Close game #1 with Mackay coming out on top by 3 points.

Reply #870791 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Mackay just like in the QFinal v Ripcity. Close game throughout, only to seal it in dying minutes. Great basketball from both teams. As you know, neither, is my team but keen for tonight's game and result for the sake of seeing these teams go again and again, I am rooting for 2/1, either way. So, has to be Cairns tonight.

Reply #870792 | Report this post

RobT  
Two years ago

NBL1 North elimination finals startrd on Fri with Gold Coast over Logan in o/t. On Sat, it was Northside over Mackay (also in o/t), USC over Darwin and Cairns over Ipswich. All games decided by 3pts or less.
I was at the USC/Darwin game and it was a cracker. The others must have been, too.

Reply #897573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:39 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754