Stevy
Years ago

Zhou Qi to NBL?

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-08-29/Zhou-Qi-announces-withdrawal-from-2021-22-CBA-season-137GGtQ3BXq/index.html

Personally, I think he is too expensive to play here ($927,099 USD per year), but the NBL could be one of his options. The question is, what team will sign him if he decides to come here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIR28nNB388

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jntvnmc0Vpg

He performed well in the OQT while injured. I am not sure if he was, but I think he was coming from an injury or playing through an injury. 

Topic #49170 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheers

Reply #869438 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I mean it'd have to be perth nz or sem. Adelaide has kai sotto and the roster r already full

Reply #869440 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Although I doubt he comes to Adelaide but the Sixers still have two spots left and one could be an import.

The Bullets are looking into adding a Next Star not sure if he would qualify for that though.

Reply #869441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL should bankroll this as getting the top Chinese player would draw in a huge Chinese audience and sponsorship dollars.

He would be a great get for any team in the league

Reply #869442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard pass. Even Harry Froling would dominate him.

Reply #869443 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Would be a bit cheeky if a 25 year old ex NBA player was a "Next Star"....

Reply #869445 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Zhou Qi can't be a Next Star, because he was already drafted in 2015/2016. Next Star is for prospects. 

Reply #869446 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Would be a bit cheeky if a 25 year old ex NBA player was a "Next Star"...

My mistake I thought this was another thread about that 7'4" Chinese role player from a few weeks ago that was looking to play in the NBL.

Reply #869447 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Zodiac

Oh, you mean that other guy? Yeah, he is still pretty young, 22. I guess he can qualify for the next star? Though if Kai was signed as a SRP, I guess he would be too.

So far, from what I have seen of him, he is not that good. He hardly played any meaningful minutes in the OQT and I think he only had a minute or two of playing time in Victoria, but hey, we never know what 2-3 years of the NBL can do for him. 

Reply #869448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is the BG connection but Ill are full. No team is going to be able to afford.

Reply #869455 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Just read the article, thanks for the post.

Sorry to admit this but that may be a politically risky stance. No doubt, the CBA is just another part of the govt and they don't seem to be too fond of people who complain about just another part of the govt.

Apparently they have very good schools over there where they teach people how to think(sic).

Reply #869457 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Oh, you mean that other guy? Yeah, he is still pretty young, 22. I guess he can qualify for the next star? Though if Kai was signed as a SRP, I guess he would be too.

So far, from what I have seen of him, he is not that good. He hardly played any meaningful minutes in the OQT and I think he only had a minute or two of playing time in Victoria, but hey, we never know what 2-3 years of the NBL can do for him.

Yeah that's the guy I was thinking of his name escapes me but was only an average player in the CBA.

Reply #869461 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think there's much doubt that Zhou Qi could contribute in a meaningful role in the NBL. My question is whether his output would justify his price tag. Reading that article though makes me think money is a secondary concern for him over situation. And will depend what is most important for him. He could play in the NBL and potentially leapfrog from here to Europe or the NBA on a modest 250'000 cheque. Or of course he could take more of that and be hidden in the CBA which, while it has its stars, is a league that I don't think the NBA is looking at to pick up talent.

If Qi is willing to take the standard import pay cheque over here he might be worth picking up.

Reply #869475 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Zhou Qi should consider the NBL if the CBA won't respect their player transfers.

Not sure which team he should go too. Maybe Perth or Cains?

What’s happening with the other 7-footer Chinese player who was also considering joining the NBL?

Reply #869481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jack jumpers missed there chances, scott roth was assistant coach for china 2019 fiba wc

Reply #869482 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

'Other guy' is Liu Chuanxing

https://sportando.basketball/en/chinese-national-team-center-and-cba-all-star-liu-chuanxing-getting-interest-from-nbl-teams/

Reply #869512 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Liu now linked to Perth or Brisbane.

Reply #869573 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/EASLofficial/status/1434894297376067587

It looks like we will really see Zhou Qi in the NBL. They were close to a deal, they said. What are your thoughts on this? Especially South Melbourne fans.

Reply #870187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think a euro or us big would be better.
He's a good player but nothing special.

Reply #870189 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Think a euro or us big would be better."

He's an "Asian-Market" player which means he doesn't count as an Import.

So, salary considerations aside, only question is whether he's better than Hodgson.

You'd have to think that SEG would be interested in something similar for the Cats

Reply #870213 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754