Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats sign Kyle Zunic

2 year deal

Topic #49192 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

* 2 years as development player. Only 22 so plenty of upside.

Reply #870048 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Can't say I know much about this guy, what's the story? DP, from NSW and went to college in America is all I know...

Reply #870049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College stats got worse every year

Reply #870050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better than britt as a dp though.

Reply #870051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Britt is now 25 and clearly couldn't go any further.
Zunic hopefully takes over from Kevin White down the track.
I don't read too much into college stats, plenty of players have made NBL with 'mediocre ' stats.

Reply #870052 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Any relation to NBL player from back in the day - Zoran Zunic? I would think there has to be a connection somewhere.

Reply #870055 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Zoran is his dad so I've read. His NBL1 stats aren't too shabby. Looks like he crashes the board. What position does he play? Looks like Mitch Norton's twin.

Reply #870061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL:

New @PerthWildcats DP Kyle Zunic is the son of former NBL player Zoran Zunic.

Zoran played five seasons in the NBL, four with the Sydney Supersonics and a final with the @SydneyKings in their debut season in 1998.

Reply #870064 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Should say 1988. Typo in tweet?

Reply #870068 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Why a typo? Maybe he was a teenage dad

Reply #870083 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Most likely because Sydney Supersonics change to Kings in the 80's...

Reply #870089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Underwhelming. Not that it matters too much with a DP but think there's are others out there with more upside.

Reply #870090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good pickup by the Wildcats,good defender,shooter & team player.

Reply #870094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would not say shooter after is last few games in Queensland

Reply #870099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He likes shooting a lot, not certain that makes him a good shooter.

Reply #870105 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So we're in agreement that he is a good field goal attempter then?

Reply #870109 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, the NBL have appended a tweet saying that should've been 1988.

Reply #870110 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I did get a laugh out of the teenage dad comment.

Reply #870112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol @ Bol

Reply #870113 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Predictable pickup. Cats were always going to try to develop a young backup, to replace Kevin White. Perth hasn't had much luck in this role over recent years, Corbon Wroe, Mason Bragg, Taylor Britt. Dech has been the only success, and he achieved that after leaving the Cats. Britt went nowhere under Trev, hopefully this guys fairs better.

As for college stats, I couldn't even be bothered looking. What stats are people looking at? They're looking for a backup PG, so it's far more important to watch him play, see how he runs the point, and his defensive efforts are going to be just as important.

And I have nfi, but it's possible ScoMo new his College Coach, or some such connection.

Reply #870133 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

2021 Big South Coach of the Year Pat Kelsey coached Zunic for four years at Winthrop University.

Kelsey previously held assistant coach positions at Xavier and Wake Forest, and is now the head coach at the College of Charleston.

"In my over two decades coaching at the NCAA Division One level I have coached many players that have gone on to sign professional contracts. That includes 14 NBA players. I can honestly say that I have never coached a player with Kyle Zunic's toughness and overall will to win. And I’m pretty sure I never will again," said Kelsey.

Australian coach Michael Cassidy - now an assistant coach at the College of Charleston – coached the 22-year-old at the national and international junior level - echoed Coach Kelsey’s sentiment.

Reply #870135 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Kyle Zunic was a real revelation. Played for RipCity in NBL1 North and even though his scoring did drop off his positive effect on the team was outstanding.

Talk about making players around you better, have a look at Izzy Tueta's figures this season, back to his old self! Louis Ilton has been more effective and Josh Tueta's scoring well again. A lot of that is due to Kyle.

Very happy that he gets a start at the top-level but sorry that he may be lost to NBL1 North and RipCity, him being in the west.

Good luck Kyle and thanks for your season with RipCity.

Reply #870140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good team players don't stand out on the stat sheet, it’s what happens to the win percentage that counts.

Reply #870144 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zunic sounds like a young Damian Martin in the making, he led the entire NCAA in charges-taken last season and won 42 of his last 47 games in college.

Reply #870153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume this is ZZ's son?

Reply #870175 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

I assume this is ZZ's son?

Yes.

Been answered above.

Reply #870180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:44 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754