Anon
Years ago

Bullets Sign 7'5 Chinese Star Chuanxing Liu

Bullets Sign 7'5 Chinese Star Chuanxing Liu as a DP as per nbl

A new Hungry Jack's NBL record has been broken with Chinese giant, Chuanxing Liu (pronounced CHOO-WAN-SHING LOO), set to become the tallest player in league history after signing a two-year deal with the Brisbane Bullets.

Topic #49193 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

24 sounds old for a development player, unless they are transitioning him to the front office.

Reply #870190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that a guy who averaged nearly 10ppg and 9rpg in the CBA is a DP. Also it'd be interesting to know how much he's getting paid. Most DPs are on peanuts.

Reply #870191 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think 24 is the age limit for a DP so should be okay for this season but the season after would need to be moved onto the full roster.

Reply #870192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the deal with this? Why would he come to the NBL when he would earn way more $ if he stayed in China.

Exposure to NBA is my only guess?

Reply #870193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will present a very different option that not many teams have but his impact will be limited. Great training player to have as a DP.

Watching some of his highlights poor guy can barely dunk

Reply #870194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will have no impact and when he is in teams will just run him off the court

Reply #870195 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This is about as good a 'training fodder' signing as one could get. He's 7'5, and will bring more interest to the team in Asia. I don't see him having any real impact on court or getting minutes but moves like this do exactly what the NBL wanted in the Asian region. If the NBL picks up Zhou Qi then we're really cooking with gas when it comes to Asian interest.

Reply #870197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he plays well this is a great move by Brisbane.
Getting him as a DP is massive pardon the pun.
Gives Brisbane a three man centre rotation with Salt and Harrison.

Reply #870199 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Yep, his CBA stats don't paint the total picture. Averaging 10 & 9 seems solid, but watching him play offers a better gauge. He needs some time to be a more solid player. Even the coaching staff of China did not give him any minutes in the OQT.

Happy for his signing! I could see him being a better player through the NBL. I am excited about seeing him and Zhou play. Would like to see a stronger Liu in the future.  

Reply #870200 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Colton Iverson was a legit Euroleague Centre and he struggled with the speed and agility of some of the undersized Centres in the NBL.
How is this guy going to guard anyone let alone the 3point line?

Reply #870201 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Although it's true that it's hard to see him not being a liability on D away from the paint, there is a marked increase in length/size this season - like, ten-fold increase... I think there is going to be an adjustment even for established NBL vets against some of these dudes.

Reply #870202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid marketing signin. Like Sotto I don't think he will get much playing time. If the Phoenix can get Zhou Qi he will be a game changer and make significant impact on the court.

Reply #870204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More likely to gain free agent status from his previous CBA team so he can be free to join another franchise for more money, would not be surpised if he is only in the NBL for the first month

Reply #870208 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"How is this guy going to guard anyone let alone the 3point line?"

WTF makes you think he will be guarding the 3-point line?

"poor guy can barely dunk"

You don't need to dunk when you can reach above the rim standing flat on the floor.

"Why would he come to the NBL when he would earn way more $ if he stayed in China."

I've heard there is some pay dispute going on in China. Don't know the details, and don't really understand why, but supposedly several players are looking to sign elsewhere.
But yes, if he's looking to further his international aspirations, getting on the court in the NBL is better than the CBA.

And who knows what he's getting paid. There is only a MINIMUM for DPs. There's no maximum.
Many teams are now using DP slots to simply extend their roster. We had DPs starting last season.

It's probable they needed League permission to sign an Asian-Market player as a DP, and possibly the league is chipping in.

Reply #870210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL's very own Tacko Fall. Cult figure status beckons.

Reply #870227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a good move (commercially) for NBL for signing Chinese players even though Liu is not quite "Good enough" being not "dominating" in CBA and playing for China.

Another China centre Zhou Qi is looking to sign with Phoenix and Zhou is definitely on another level. Both of them got pay dispute with their CBA teams and decided to try overseas league

Reply #870228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think he's here to develop, no issue.

Reply #870230 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Liu doesnt have to be very good to justify this signing - it's a development player spot after all. But I think the upside from a commercial standpoint makes the signing a no-brainer.

As for what he can do on court, well, he can be 7 ft 5. He seems very clumsy. Isn't overwhelmingly strong and seems to get bodied out of position a fair bit. Would benefit a whole lot with NBL strength and conditioning and having to face a higher standard of competition every day in training. He will return to China a better player but I don't think his upside is a whole lot higher than the CBA.

Reply #870236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That other bloke linked to Phoenix is a starter?

Reply #870237 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

I think Liu can develop into a really good reliever for Zhou and Wang Zhelin in FIBA. I don't really think that his ceiling is that high, especially for a 24 year old, but the NBL would fast track his development for sure. 

Reply #870239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the signing, the coach at Brisbane has a track record in player development. I'm hoping he does well, plus the viewing numbers should be good.

Reply #870240 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"How is this guy going to guard anyone let alone the 3point line?"

WTF makes you think he will be guarding the 3-point line?

True, he'll likely be sitting on the end of the bench.

Reply #870241 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

He looks WAY better than that other Chinese bloke a few weeks back. If he applies himself I can see him decelop into a 10-15 minute backup big in the NBL and if he gets there, he'd do very well in the Chinese league in future.

Reply #870250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Brisbane coach has a good track record of attaching himself to the already made nba players and "developing" them.
Ask any of the local guys how much time he spent with them developing

Reply #870251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not there to develop local guys, he was there to develop kings players which he had great success from Vadonovic to Tate. Look at Hunters improvement and DJ defence improvement before injuries. You are talking out your Clanger.

Reply #870252 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"
EssenX
Within the hour

He looks WAY better than that other Chinese bloke a few weeks back. If he applies himself I can see him decelop into a 10-15 minute backup big in the NBL and if he gets there, he'd do very well in the Chinese league in future."

I feel like you're confusing Liu for Qi

Reply #870254 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Just learned that in the CBA playoffs, he upped his output from 9 and 8 in the regular season into 17.5ppg and 13rpg and 2.5 bpg during the playoffs.

The first video was his highlights from the quarterfinals against Hamed Haddadi.

Despite his playoff performances, he was rarely used by China in the ACQ and OQT. Dude played a minute against Japan and got a DNP in their second game. He also had a DNP against Canada in the OQT and played a minute or two against the Greeks.

The only game that he had significant minutes was our tune-up game together prior to the OQT.

2nd video shows his heroics, start at 4:23.

Overall, I think 2-3 years of NBL training and mins will make him better. Looking forward to his development in here.

Reply #870265 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Remember there's no defensive time limit here. Dude can camp all night in the paint at the defensive end.

As for being "clumsy", ffs it's all relative. Guys like Cotton can turn on a coin, because if they couldn't they'd never play Bball at their height.
If a 7'5 guy had the same skills he'd an NBA all-star, not an NBL DP.
At that size, all he has to do is be able to catch the ball and stuff it in.

Reply #870278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice looking jump shot, going to be hard to defend at that height.

Reply #870281 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

@Stevy: Those clips don't paint a very good picture.
The competition he’s playing in is awful compared to the NBL.
His match up in the first video (Hamed Haddadi) is entering his late 30’s, is 15-20kg overweight and 4-5 years past his best. Hell, he’s glued to the floor in those clips and is certainly not a good gauge to compare performance against. Hope I’m wrong but he could be another Amritpal Singh.

Reply #870286 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Bullets

No problem man, I was not trying to hype Liu or play him down. Just being very transparent with him. His form right now is not very good which resulted to his DP classification with SEM and multiple DNPs in FIBA ACQ and OQT.

Oh? I was not aware that Amritpal Singh played in the NBL. Guessing at your reaction, I guess he was not very effective with his NBL stint. Dude had a monster game against Palestine in the ACQ. He carried India to a Asia cup/WC qualifiers appearance 2-3 weeks ago.

I think Liu has a higher ceiling than he does especially that Liu at least right now has a decent jumper, but of course, just because Liu has a higher ceiling than Amritpal does not mean that Liu at his best would be equivalent to Zhou or even Wang Zhelin. Liu would probably be a decent reliever for them in the future.  

Reply #870290 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Amritpal Singh wasn't much chop in his one season with the Sydney Kings.

Reply #870297 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Amritpal Singh was an efficient shooter, but was too slow. Great guy though. If he had more speed he would be still in the league. Definitely too old now to keep up. Played well in India's must win qualify.

Strange, yesterday I thought this signing of Liu would happen, and it did happen.

Reply #870301 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

["How is this guy going to guard anyone let alone the 3point line?"

WTF makes you think he will be guarding the 3-point line?]

Cos it's 2021 and everyone needs to guard the 3 point line?

eg the best two bigs last season, one of them was a killer 3 point shooter.....and the other one shot about 50% from 3.

Reply #870311 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

re Bullets, @Stevy: "His match up in the first video (Hamed Haddadi) is entering his late 30's, is 15-20kg overweight and 4-5 years past his best. Hell, he’s glued to the floor in those clips and is certainly not a good gauge to compare performance against."

His defender wasn't one of my faves, Lamar Patterson, was it?

Reply #870312 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

To be fair though, there's a lot of mostly inside bigs this year

But having watched the highlights above, regardless of that, hard to see this guy making a big impact in the NBL. Seems unwieldy and slow. Most guys who are 7'4 and 7'5 etc in basketball end up more hype than substance.

Reply #870313 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think that is a fantastic signing for Brisbane, I mean they seem like a completely shithouse team so far and then they sign this guy that is 7'5 every game of the season and he's allowed 5 fouls every game... even if he plays 5 minutes a game then what's wrong with that?

He's a development player and if I was the Bullets and momentum was going against our team and the opposition guards are getting to the rack to easily then out him on and let him change some shots.

Also the eyes from China and social media etc mentioning him is huge... I vaguely remember TNA wrestling doing a show I think it was China and it got 0.3% of the population watching the show on television but it was still their most watched show. Disclaimer - that may have been India but you understand that with so many people, even a tiny audience is still a whole heap of humans.

I hope with the Asian influence this season and the eyes of the NBA and maybe even Europe that the sponsors can benefit greatly in what could be one of the biggest and best seasons of all time... and come back next season willing to part with more money for higher quality imports

Reply #870325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marketing exercise.....

Reply #870350 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Is he the biggest player ever for the NBL

Reply #870471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Dazz

Reply #870477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can remember a giant local guy playing a few games for Perth about a decade ago , would of been close to 7'4'', Harris I think his name was.
I hope Liu lasts longer and at 7'5'' would be the new tallest ever in the NBL.

Reply #870480 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sam Harris 7'3" also played for the 36ers and I think the Slingers too.

Reply #870481 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

At 7'4", Kaywal Shiells is Australia's tallest person. He played in the SEABL and QBL (and still might be playing down south?).

Interestingly, while looking up correct spelling of his name, I noticed tallest of all is/was(?) an American, Robert Wadlow at 8'11".

Reply #870485 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Ming Yao 2.29m
Chuanxing Liu 2.25m
Arvydas Sabonis 2.21m
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 2.18m
Luc Longley 2.18m
Luke Nevill 2.18m
Luke Schenscher 2.16m
Qi Zhou 2.16m
Andrew Bogut 2.13m

Reply #870559 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@RobT

Goodness gracious, imagine a 5'6 5 year old? Highly unthinkable. Thanks for sharing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadlow

Reply #870560 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754