Anonymous
Years ago

Next Star age query

Currently the draft minimum age is 19 in a calendar year and so we have seen the likes of Ball and Giddey both drafted the year of 19th birthday.

My query is if next star contracts are for up to 2 years can a team sign 2004 born players as next stars ( for 2 years ) with a view to 2023 draft... e.g. Tyrese Proctor.

I did see Emoni Bates linked at one stage to NBL . He is 2004 born.
The NBL itself doesn't seem to have a minimum age with a handful of 17yo players playing as DP in recent years.

In summary can a team sign a 2004 next star for 2021/22 as a 2 year deal.

Topic #49206 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

The whole point of the two year deal is to get buyout money when the player is drafted before the second year.

Reply #870736 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think there are two aspects to this:

#1 Is a 17 year old likely to be useful in the NBL? A year means alot at that stage for kids, whilst an NBA future kid could be useful at NBL level at 18, 17 might be a stretch.

#2 That would mean no buyout I think - hurts return on investment

Reply #870737 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

What a sensational question all the same, I mean surely clubs are already looking for ways to exploit every rule the NBL has and it will be fascinating to see if clubs think they have made the most of the next stars rule

Reply #870771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754