TB
Years ago

Wildcats sign Jack Purchase

2 year deal, cats members just got the email.

Topic #49210 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great pickup and a great guy. Well deserved.

Reply #871012 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Smart signing, he can play - think the Jackjumpers should have signed him.

Reply #871013 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Good signing, would have liked to see him return to Adelaide

Reply #871014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing. Both 36ers & JJs have missed a good one here.

Reply #871015 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Well done to Jack. Now has a great opportunity to establish himself in the league with the best franchise. Great result.

Reply #871016 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I don't know much about Jack, but hearing good things. Is that just 1 more spot to fill now?

Reply #871021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So his the third string pf?

Reply #871022 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

I'd say he will be second PF behind Law and Wagstaff is the third stringer. maybe even have Law at SF and Purchase at PF for some minutes?

Starting Centre will be the last Import slot then I guess. still hoping it's Plumlee does everything you need and will set the hard screens Cotton needs to get open won't get the ball stuck in his hands

Reply #871025 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The Wildcats email says 2 spots left on the roster, but maybe one is another DP spot.

Reply #871026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats - S.Morrison

6'0 B.Cotton(i)
6’1 M.Norton
6’2 K.White
6’2 K.Zunic(dp)
6’5 J.Antonio?
6’7 T.Blanchfield
6’7 C.Shervill(dp)
6’7 V.Law(i)
6’8 L.Travers
6’8 J.Wagstaff
6’9 J.Purchase
6’9 M.Majok
6’10 M.Mathiang? Or import

Reply #871027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Wagstaff will be more end of the bench along with White.
They are smart veterans who still can contribute.
Assuming that Perth go with an import centre and bench shooting guard to fill out roster, possibly a Next Star to be added.
I think the Plumlee ship has sailed.

Norton 1
Cotton 2/1
Blanchfield 3
Law 4/3
Import 5.

White 1
? 2.
Travers 3/4/1.
Wagstaff 4
Purchase 4
Majok 5.

If Perth can snare a Next Star a combo guard would fit nicely.

Reply #871028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing, very good shooter and passer, needs to tidy up defensively a bit and will in Perth.

Reply #871029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zunic and Shervill although both DP add depth at 1 and 3 spots.

Reply #871030 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I was kind of hoping the Sixers re-signed Purchase given we've still got 2 spots left on the roster and doesn't sound like we will be signing a third import until later in the season. Bugger.

2 spots left for Perth now one can be an import.

Reply #871032 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Some nice Aussie youngsters signed up now. Zunic future rotation PG, Shervill rotation 2/3 maybe small 4, Purchase future starter 3/4, Travers future starter 3/4. Their position flex as they develop should help keep the import signings targeted on the structural big man and scorer requirements.

Reply #871035 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So we've signed a guy nobody else wanted. Sweet!

Those last two place are now critical.
Last season Trev surprised us with what he was able to achieve with a couple of those guys, but who knows what Scomo can do.

The plan was for a local starting Centre, but who's left? And given the lack of size at the 4, I don't think there's a "Mooney" to save our bacon.
Maybe Cotton gets naturalised and we can fill it with an import.

Cos the backup 2 spot is critical, given that we need another perimeter threat.

Reply #871036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you are a dead set moron.
I am sure Purchase had interest from other teams.

Please go support some other team.

Reply #871037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Purchase imo is better than Bairstow.

Reply #871038 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

C'mon man every year every team signs someone that no one apparently wanted, players to hopefully fill a role, not carry the load, and if they find that spark in the new environment - jackpot!

Reply #871039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In any 11 man rosters there are going to be lesser like role players.

The remaining bench spot clearly needs to be a gun though as bench not too strong other than Travers.

Reply #871041 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

When given a chance towards the end of last season Purchase showed us a little of what he can do hitting some nice shots. I would have thought given his lower price tag that that would warrant another year.

Wish him the best going forward, given the outside nature of today's game and the gravity of Cotton, Purchase may end up in a system that offers him several good looks a game.

Reply #871044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide were very keen on him and I guess the trail of destruction that is Adelaide might have lead Purchase to pursue other options.

Reply #871045 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Adelaide were very keen on him and I guess the trail of destruction that is Adelaide might have lead Purchase to pursue other options.

Its probably as simple as playing opportunity.

If he is competing for reserve minutes with Travers (only part time as a 4) and Wagstaff (veteran minutes), then he can probably expect 8 - 10 mpg. The success of complimentary stretch players like Blanchfield, Steindl means its a good place to be.

The risk is its no longer Gleeson's system, but you'd expect the new coach to continue to use Cotton's gravity to its fullest.

Reply #871048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Its probably as simple as playing opportunity." Yes and at the satge he would have signed Adelaide were fluffing around with their

Reply #871049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry, not sure what happened there, Adelaide were fluffing around with their 6th or 16th Head Coaches selection. Take the money and run Jack P. Remember your mates ;)

Reply #871051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the 5 players under 40% of soft salary cap rule still apply?
Asking for a friend.

Reply #871053 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Purchase was not held by MU, then went to Adelaide, and apparently didn't get a decent offer to stay there. Was supposedly linked to JJs, but never heard anything further.

Perth very late to finalise their roster given loss of Trev. So yeah, pretty obvious nobody else made him an offer.

And as I said, Trev did well with a bunch of players that weren't highly sought. White, Bairstow, Jervis, even Blanch wasn't being heavily chased by many.
Question is whether ScoMo can do the same.

And yeah, if Purchase is the worst player in our 11, then we'll be great. Hence why I said that the last two slots are all important.

Reply #871060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop with the Sco Mo rubbish.
Go coach Morrison.

Reply #871062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrific guy, terrific shooter and smart player. A win for Perth.

Reply #871066 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Perth's hopes seem completely contingent on their starting 5 spot. Definitely have the depth with Travers, Purchase and Wagstaff all able to cover the forward bench minutes, and I suspect Antonio/White to do the same in the backcourt. But Majok Majok surely isn't a 20 minute player in the NBL.

Reply #871069 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Watched him play in domestic league for Rockets when Sixers got Humphries back from injury. He only looked like a domestic league player, although a good one. Having Wagstaff they shouldn't have signed Purchase. By signing Purchase they should’ve got rid of Wagstaff, no point in having both of them.

Reply #871072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outstanding player in NBL1 South. High calibre player and person. Hardly Domestic League for the Chargers.

HOBART CHARGERS
Jack Purchase
2021 Stats

ASSISTS
REBOUNDS
FIELD GOALS

Reply #871074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is trash. Too soft. Third club and only one to give him a contract spot smh

Reply #871075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 I don't usually bite, but on this occasion I will make an exception for you.
Jack had offers from NZ, ADL and in talks with SEM when the Perth offer came through. Your background on Jack is way off, so go and spill your facts elsewhere.
Jack will be a solid pickup

Reply #871079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the above statement is incorrect.
Both NZ and Southeast have had their local signings completed for some weeks now. As well as Adelaide had no interest in Purchase similar to Pinder.
The reality is that the free agency market right now is thin, and Adelaide and Perth are feeling the effects of that due to a late coaching change.
Good luck to the guy, but he can not defend well at all as either a wing player or forward so I doubt he will see much court time.

Reply #871084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ what they said. Plus, saying if we have him we don't need Wagstaff is beyond ridiculous

Reply #871085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 year deal from 6ers was on the table
Cats came in with 2

Who would you rather play for, 1 year for a basket case team or an extra year at the best franchise?

The only thing keeping him in Adelaide was his girlfriend who is playing for Lightning

Easy decision, we'll done Jack!

Reply #871088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ have 1 roster spot remaining which can be local or import

Reply #871093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah NZ were planning to sign jack purchase, but now they are out of the running they will be desperate to find an import in his place. Stupid

It's an average signing, last guy on the bench type stuff. So who cares

Reply #871099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you the same anon who basically bags any bench player signing.

Reply #871117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #871149 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As I said, if he's the worst player in our squad, we'll be great.
But those extolling his virtues need to get their hand off it.

Perth's recruiting was in hiatus, pending the signing of the new coach, so to suggest he turned down multiple great offers, waiting for Perth, is just pure fantasy.

It will be interesting to see if and how he develops. Hasn't done anything yet, but still has time.
But I'm more interested to see how guys like Travers and Shervill develop, and what roles they hold down.

Reply #871150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton-White-ZunicDP
Cotton-Antonio-DP
Blanchfield-Travers-ShervillDP
Law-Wagstaff-Purchase
Mathiang-Majok-DP

That's what I’ve heard
Getting a local sg dp from wa but struggling to find a centre dp

Reply #871152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mathiang is contracted in Europe.

Reply #871157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mathiang is a free agent and hurt but hope fit before the nbl starts

Reply #871167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given his age, almost 29, I think his coming for a big contract 3+ year 1.5 mill +

Reply #871168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how much was plumlee on when playing for the wildcats? when the bucks were still pay him millions

Reply #871169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't the Wildcats re signing the 7ft DP

Reply #871171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the 7 ft DP

Reply #871175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

andrew ferguson

Reply #871176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He went back to college

Reply #871177 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see how Travers is used. He's got height, length, speed, and agility. He can defend almost 1 - 4, but best 2 - 3. But he hasn't shown a lot of perimeter offence. He started at the 4 last season, and as he gets stronger could play more there.

Reply #871188 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is ScoMo in town yet?

Reply #871234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Well the above statement is incorrect.
Both NZ and Southeast have had their local signings completed for some weeks now. As well as Adelaide had no interest in Purchase similar to Pinder.
The reality is that the free agency market right now is thin, and Adelaide and Perth are feeling the effects of that due to a late coaching change.
Good luck to the guy, but he can not defend well at all as either a wing player or forward so I doubt he will see much court time."

Ok, you literally have no idea!! Yes, Corey Webster was released, and they have a minimum wage spot left, and you'll find that becomes 2 soon!!!

Adelaide did offer, so stop being a know it all twat!

SEM, the same.

My info doesn’t come from opinion dipshit!

Reply #871243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#243, lol, you know f..k all, idiot. Sixers did offer Purchase a contract, one season, Perth came with two. He will do fine.

Reply #871245 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754