Mystro
Years ago

Alex Pledger Cancer Free

Awesome news with former NZ Breaker & Melbourne United NBL Centre Alex Pledger has been given a Cancer Free diagnosis 6months after he was told he had the disease.

The 2.15m former Tall Black has been battling colorectal cancer since March and had been undergoing intensive chemotherapy and radiation in a bid to shrink what was a substantial tumour, before undergoing surgery last month.

"Just received my post op pathology results...margins were clear and the 22 lymph nodes that were removed didn't have a single cancer cell in them," Pledger tweeted.

Awesome news for Alex, his Wife, family & friends.

Hopefully we see the big Chief back on a basketball court sooner rather than later.

Topic #49217 | Report this topic

Senator11  
Years ago

Great news! Great to hear stories like this, hoepfully see him back on the court soon.

Reply #871183 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Good News, hope it stays clear

Reply #871186 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, that's great news, happy to hear it.

Reply #871189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic!

Great news!!!

Reply #871190 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Brilliant news Chief.

Reply #871195 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Yeah, great news for him, his family, friends and us, too..

Does this mean that he is available or still some rehab etc, to go through? A couple of centres still required out there but I assume that it would be too soon for the Pledge!

Reply #871198 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah he's probably a bit under done at this stage for this level considering he played about 10mins once last season in the NZNBL RobT.
Now that he can put this behind him and get back in the gym and on a practice court he may have a shot at a backup role for next season

Reply #871204 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think given his situation and his age, he's a lomg shot for an ANBL return. But more important than basketball is getting through what must have been a harrowing battle with the big C word. I know when I heard of the announcement I was stunned. As someone the same age as the Pledgehammer, it's a stark reminder to live your life to the fullest, stay mindful of your health, and never assume everything is fine if there's any question or doubt. Really, really relieved for the big guy that he's got through this. Friend or foe on court, this is bigger than basketball and cuts right to the core of our shared vulnerabilities and struggles as human beings. Congratulations to him.

Reply #871205 | Report this post

Herbert Cadbury  
Years ago

Great news for Pledge!

Reply #871210 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Well said ME!!!

Reply #871212 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Agreed, very well said ME!

Potentially, basketball is the last thing on the Pledgehammer's mind at the moment, given his recent experience.

May very well opt to enjoy life to the fullest!

Reply #871213 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Great news, especially that none of the cells got to the lymph nodes.

This is also a reminder than colonic cancer is one of the most common for men, don't ignore the signs.

Reply #871215 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If I were pledge right now, I'd concentrate on getting back to full fitness and enjoying life, go for a trip or holiday in NZ, go do all the things you love to do mate. Forget the pay cheques for a while.

Reply #871232 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great news for Alex and family.Looking forward to seeing him back on court next year hopefully with the Sharks.

Would be good to see Bevo back there coaching also and having Alex for the full season.

Reply #871233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754