Doggr
Years ago

Vaccine for junior comps?

When VJBL restarts here in Victoria will there be compulsory vaccination for players or the parents. Interesting to see what path we go down.

Topic #49235 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

This is ages can we not talk about this someone close this thread

Reply #871687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should be compulsory. What is wrong with people!

It will be compulsory for all NBL1 and BIG V programs.

Reply #871695 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Let's not debate the actual vaccines here, but let's project the likely outcome of the program and impacts...

Most likely 15% of people in society will remain unvaccinated, there will also be another group of people (5-15%) who will not want to partake in a 6 monthly booster program. Community sport would struggle immensely with potentially loosing a quarter of it's officials/coaches/players/volunteers from the system, it can't be made mandatory.

Reply #871709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Aron it can and it must. Losing people from the game who choose to take that position is unfortunate but reality. Like losing people from the game due to cost. Or level of committment required. Or location of the service etc.

It's part of how society works. The rules shouldn't change because people choose not to be vaccinated. Sports will adjust according and move on.

Reply #871713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Children get vaccinated from birth, what's the big deal, it keeps you safe from everything.

Reply #871715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bingo

Reply #871718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So now we are taking away peoples rights that's not a good idea. As you can see from the construction workers. Everybody should have the right to choose what goes into his or her body.

Reply #871722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They do. But their choices have consequences.

Reply #871724 | Report this post

CW  
Years ago

Are we really so bored without NBL and NBA we are allowing shit posts?

I support the efforts, you don't have to.

If you have a problem with vaccination rules exercise your democratic right through your MPs, lobbying, petitions and lawful protest.

Don't stress junior level sport volunteers who are trying to follow a law, not have a moral debate.

Reply #871726 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

And have unvaccinated kids been banned from playing sport to this point?

Also the current "Vaccines" didn't fit the description of a vaccine, it's an Mrna gene therapy procedure (I'm not saying it's sinister, just making a point), hence they changed the definition of what a vaccine is so these could fit.
There's reasons for 15% of society to remain hesitant until long term safety can be confirmed. Whether you agree with them or not, is it fair to ban kids from playing.

Once the TGA provisionally approves the Vaccines for kids 5+ are we going to make vaccine mandatory for under 10s to play? It's not mandatory to go to school.

Reply #871727 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

No Vaccines are mandatory at schools.

Reply #871731 | Report this post

€¥₩*  
Years ago

Slow news day.
Last off-season was the same.

Reply #871734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't have to have the vaccine and you don’t have to obey any of society rules but there are consequences, you once did not need a seat belt, you could drink and drive, you had to vaccinated to travel, society changes rules as it gets smarter, you don’t have to follow but you pay the consequences.

Reply #871744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope those who take it it causes you major issues then you will want to sue and say look what they did and those who didn't get I hope they lol. Then we can discuss consequences in that way.

Reply #871758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#758, I just hope you can improve your education, start by learning to write properly. I don't think wishing bad on people also shows you in a good light, it I may say so.

Reply #871760 | Report this post

CW  
Years ago

Because you seem to defacto claiming some medical expertise there 732, what studies have you seen that prove post viral immunity sufficiently exists to exempt from vaccines given the reinfection rate? Are they peer reviewed? In what grade of journal? How eminent are the authors?

If you don't know that's fine, I claim no expertise but I tend to listen to those who do and can answer those questions when providing evidence

Reply #871762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's well established now CW, a simple search will find plenty of data around that.

Reply #871765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here are a couple of studies on it as a start:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3838993

The second one is quite concerning, showing low interferon response amongst vaccinated subjects, given severe COVID outcomes have been linked to an absence of interferon response.

Reply #871767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here come the google doctors!

Reply #871781 | Report this post

CW  
Years ago

Thanks for the links, will look over. I note that paper in the second link wasn't peer reviewed.

For your interest, the BMJ has some interesting stuff that claims it lasts about 8 months https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2101 but note t

Reply #871793 | Report this post

CW  
Years ago

#781, that's what I'm saying. I am not a doctor, so I follow the directions of Govt Health departments because they use experts.

For those who claim expertise I challenge the source of it. I may look at it. But I follow health advice because my Google does not beat expertise.

And others have a right to not follow it I guess, but all I ask is they don't foist that choice onto junior sports who just follow health directions.

Reply #871794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough CW, although having worked in the public service (and my family having done so extensively) I prefer to seek the views of independent experts rather than those linked in with the PS. In the case of COVID, those who have been at the forefront of treatment and those with significant experience in virology and immunology etc are sources of interest for me.

Reply #871806 | Report this post

Doggr  
Years ago

Listen guys I have put this post up because I have a vested interest with my children ballin. I also have my children playing footy. I'm not sure which way junior sport will go. But I hope it opens up without any interruptions moving forward. Good luck to all.

Reply #871815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just get the vaccine. It gives you a bigger penis.

Reply #871818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, mandate vaccinations so that people who don't know it’s good for them get the benefit of it. Exceptions for people who have legitimate medical reasons to not be vaccinated.

Reply #871909 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Even though side effects are rare, and long term risks are most likely ok, you can't blame some people for wanting to be cautious and wait until long term safety studies are confirmed. What about 16-17 year olds who count as adults in the vaccine roll out, do u18s kids need to be vaccinated to play sport? Even if 10% of them don't want it, that means you're denying tens of thousands of kids from playing sport. It's not a simple debate.

Reply #871913 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Covid Vaccine is not compulsory for public schools. It is not compulsory for many work places but Employers are making vaccination mandatory. BV should keep their nose out of it and let the kids play. There are kids out there reacting and needing months of medications because they thought they were doing the right thing getting vaccinated and now have heart and other medical issues. Leave the kids alone!

Reply #872154 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754