AntAntAnt
Years ago

Former NBA players as NBL owners

Has there ever been talked about how these deals have come about?

Is there any common thread between the players that have bought into the NBL?

Topic #49243 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised more NBA players haven't bought WNBA teams, unless they are more of a black hole than NBL teams.

Reply #871959 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

they are more of a black hole than NBL teams.

Just to clarify, anon meant financial...black hole.

Reply #871960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re the above, they probably don't want to buy into a product that loses money and is topped up and funded by the NBA, so effectively they'd be paying for the WNBA twice over.

Reply #871961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's who in the zoo in Australian nbl teams.

Reply #871963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People investing into teams would be hoping for the capital value of the teams to improve over time. NBL has been on an upward trajectory for the last few years, in terms of crowd numbers and now with a tv deal that, at face value, should provide a revenue stream. Teams would expect to get a dividend from that deal and so their capcital value woudl be expected to improve.

As an aside, a recent ABC article provided data on NBL revenue for 2020. It put NBL's revenue at $19,491,000; stated it was 10.3% down on the previous year's revenue; and stated that NBL made a 0.4% profit. i.e., about $760,000 profit.

Presumably this was just the NBL and didn't include revenue and expenditure for individual teams. Also, a table footonote states '2020 reporting period varies by sport.'. So it's not clear whether the data cover soem or all of the 2020-21 NBL season.

The article is online at https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-23/coronavirus-local-and-professional-sports-data-impact-australia/100482976

There's a table about a quarter of the way down the page that presents the above data (together with other national leagues' data). To get the data, click on the 'Get the data' link below the table.

Reply #871965 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

WNBA teams would be more expensive plus would take bigger losses. Whereas NBL teams are cheap enough to be half-decent tax offsets. As what has already been said about trajectory, the NBL is improving year on year in all aspects, whereas the WNBA wont be getting any more popular despite all the efforts being made.

Reply #871974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're just expensive toys for very rich people. Some like Kevin Martin I believed said it's an introduction into someday owning his own NBA team, but I wonder how hands on he is. Plus different rules in salary cap, draft, trades etc.

Reply #871982 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754