Worst - Friday night games.

Reply #872257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best: Friday night games. Allows junior players to play multiple sports

Reply #872261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fully timed VC games. Should just be 10 minute quarters with a running clock. If you are U18's, often your 9.40 game doesn’t start til after 10pm, because of heaps of fouls called in U12’s/U14’s. That’s pretty tough for the 16 year olds who are in VCE & have been studying hard all week.

Reply #872262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents!

Reply #872272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents indeed and club committee members too hahaha

Reply #872291 | Report this post

Coach_A  
Years ago

Best: Friday night games. Allows junior players to play multiple sports

This is not a valid answer in my book. This could be achieved by swapping domestic (Sat - very little commute required) and rep (Fri). I am all for juniors playing more than one sport, however starting your weekend with a high intensity 9pm VC game 2 hours plus away after a full week of school and sports does not exactly help with high performance on the day and for whatever other sport is played the next day(s).

Also, worth noting that Pre covid, there was an alarming increase of stress fractures in juniors, particularly in the 16 and under cohort. I believe this is not unrelated. Rest is not promoted in junior sports, which is unfortunate as it is as important as training.

Reply #872303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sat Domestic at a number of Associations run from 8am - 8pm. Friday Juniors run from 6:30-11:00pm at most.

If you think 16 year olds are tucked up fast asleep at 11pm on a Friday if not playing basketball you don't know teenagers.

Also their weekends are just as busy as their weeks at school. I just don't buy your excuses. You don't like Friday's because it's hard for you as an adult to get from work to a game. Just say it.

Reply #872309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fridays aren't as bad now that many people can work from home (not everyone I know, but many). Also traffic not as bad.

Reply #872313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not as bad if you split it into 4 regions so that no one has to cross the city in peak hour traffic

Reply #872314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ makes sense for grades below VC.

Reply #872316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not VC too? VC are where our best prospects are (generally speaking). Why do we want to torture our best prospects every Friday night?

VC should be in regions too & we can have a super exciting finals series! It would make the Classic more interesting too.

Might also help stop kids leaving bball for footy. Footy is a shorter season & you play locally, there's lots to like about that.

Reply #872342 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

Best - top level junior comp is full of great athletes and is really strong, clubs creating great development opportunities for players and coaches

BAD
watered down lower divisions that is essentially just domestic on a friday night
Clubs making money from juniors only to pay coaches a penny when they want almost 15hrs + a week out of them and tournaments. We all love the game but for those who want to be career coaches VJBL isn't where its at.

Grading phase too long - not sure of an answer here for this one.

Reply #872348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ fair point

Reply #872349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could knock grading over in two weekend tournaments

Reply #872350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the biggest issue. No one will ever agree on what's best.

It's interesting in this chat it's highlighted that there are watered down divisions, in WA they're complaining too few are elite.

IMO VC can't be split regionally as it means the best teams won't play the best teams. VJBL is so big now they already have had to expand to 20 teams for VC which is insane and it can't be a coincidence that State team standards starting in line with the expansion of VC and the pool/conferences which keep the best teams away from each other. VJBL has tried to rectify this with their mid-season regrading but still, 20 teams is too many for the top grade.

1,000+ VJBL teams is great for Victoria but certainly dilutes the talent across too many teams/clubs. Maybe its time for some clubs to stick to being Domestic clubs rather than trying to have rep teams of their own.

Grading could not be done (fairly) over 2 weekend tournaments.

Reply #872362 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

Too many teams that just make up the numbers in the lower grades, why couldn't regionalize it and then play a end of season tournament instead with the top sides from each East/West/North/South region to cut travel time down.

The other part is the weight of VJBL on being a good basketball player having coached and worked with kids in lets say tougher parts of melbourne there are plenty of amazing kids who NEVER play VJBL for a variety of reasons but are never considered for State Programs yet go on to play D1 and D2 college, its a pathway BUT not the only pathway.

Reply #872375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many college players from Melbourne never played any level of VJBL? Name any.

Reply #872378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst is the whole VJBL ecosystem seems to be driven by maximising revenues to fund senior teams and senior comps.

If you look at all the sensible options that should be implemented, 9/10 the reason they are t is that they will reduce revenues. Focus is on driving maximum participation rather than quality outcomes.

On the subject of VJBL....it'd be great to hear from them re a return to basketball. My great fear is that seasons will continue to be impacted because they are unable to innovate and make the game more "covid-friendly."

Reply #872384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If kids want to play on a Friday night, and parents are willing to take them, then that's fine. They can then play Sat locally and football on Sunday. All works fine. The commitment is up to the individuals, and they seem to line up for it. I do like the more regionally based approach for VJBL 2 and below however.

Reply #872399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should never be any more rep divisions than 2

Reply #872400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If kids want to play on a Friday night, and parents are willing to take them, then that's fine. They can then play Sat locally and football on Sunday. All works fine. The commitment is up to the individuals, and they seem to line up for it. I do like the more regionally based approach for VJBL 2 and below however."

Except that many associations choose to run Sunday training sessions....

Reply #872404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any coaches on here that say Parents are the major problem need to get over themselves. Parents are invested in their kids and do more for their sport than any coach or trainer only too happy to take credit for any success will ever do. Dealing with the odd crazy sports parent is part of the job. I coached a kid with a nutter parent this season, I won't punish the kid but if it's between him another kid for the last couple of spots (and it will be) guess who's not getting picked. I don't coach my own kids team.

As for the season. It needs to be shorter. Every club in Victoria wants it but the VJBL keep ignoring it. The administrators at basketball Victoria all plough over every word of this forum and most comment behind the good old Anon (as do I) so take note.

Friday night travel accross the state. Love it! The kids love it! They'll remember it for the rest of their lives. It's a few parents that don't. If the kid finds it a drag, guess what? They don't love the sport at that level. Prefer my kid in a basketball stadium on a Friday night than the local park.

It's the best competition in the country because our kids don't have to quit one sport to play so we get the best athletes right up to about TAC cup age.

Reply #872409 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

College Players who never played rep basketball

Mam Ayuel - Mississippi Valley
Mangok Mathiang - Louisville
Junior Garbrah played 1 season at Keilor left didn't play and then made Div 2 College team
Achor Achor
Madut Akec
Emmanuel Malou

Lots of kids either don't play or drop out after a season, vast majority young Sudanese youth and go on to play college - its just not the only pathway and I think with more school academies popping up there are other places to play and get good coaching compared to playing a 4th or 8th Rep team in Division 20 East

Reply #872418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any such break away league possible?

Reply #872431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^not one but there are many basketball schools and camps where you can get recognised.

Reply #872469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the exception of VC, Should be all reigonalised geographical conferences.

Reply #872475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess I see Sunday football a little differently....

For me VJBL is representative basketball, thus at a higher regard.
Sunday local football is domestic, just like all domestic basketball, everyone gets a game etc.

The football equal to VJBL is TAC, its just that they don't have all the lower grades the VJBL.

Many associations have mid-week senior domestic where they make income to support the clubs programmes, therefore if you put trainings in these places you lose income for the club. It becomes a balance for clubs.

Reply #872476 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Watch out for private school programs.
Popping up everywhere and some high quality teams playing. VJBL VC level still premier but watch out for different pathway.
If in VJBL 2 or below it's just domestic and money grab by Bball Vic

Reply #872738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

parents are good for the sport,
they are passionate for their kids to do well and they care. As a coach, you can get some unpleasant ones but it is uasually good for the sport.

Reply #872739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you make only divisions for met 1 and VC then where are all the bottom age players going to go? If they don't make it into a team they might just quit and pursue a different sport. there will be fewer junior talent to develop from bottom age players with less teams.

Reply #872744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are way too many divisions of Bball in vjbl.
There needs to be a serious cut off for grading.

Vjbl have adopted the old Melbourne Tigers junior program philosophy , however many turn up, that's how many we’ll take.

But the horse has already bolted. The revenue that now come in to bv and associations from such a large competition is too big and the subsequent spending the clubs and bv can make now relies on such a big competition.

Regions, zones, maybe even different age groups are only way to make changes.

But most likely everything will stay the same, if you keep watering down cordial, you eventually get back to water.

Reply #872746 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

Talking of too many teams, you could address some of this by having a coaching standard, too often I see billy bobs dad coaching the 5th team and he coaches domestic to but where is the value in rep ball if its just dad coaches with no experience or limited exp.

soccer went down this route with the NPL where clubs have ceetain level qualified coaches and while it adds a cost it most certainly brings the standard up. And stops teams from having 10 teams if you can't field 10 level 2 coaches.

Reply #872784 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Could do some cost saving by not having big v programs sucking the money out of VJBL programs. Too much keeping up with Jones's

Reply #872791 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:05 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754