Anonymous
Years ago

VJBL coaches and officials vaxxed?

Will coaches and officials need to be double vaxxed before VJBL restarts?

Topic #49269 | Report this topic

donotreach  
Years ago

Bet ya money on it

If not the venues will need you to be Latrobe Uni stadium will require everyone to be vaxed on site

Reply #872514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BV should come out now and make a statement on it.

Reply #872523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league doesn't need to come out. Vic government has pretty much done it today. Their list covers a large amount of people

Reply #872531 | Report this post

Game Watcher  
Years ago

Coaches should do it to protect their players.

Reply #872568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be good for associations to be able to give that comfort to parents.

Reply #872575 | Report this post

donotreach  
Years ago

Coaches should do it to protect their own families and friends

Reply #872783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will be forced by stadiums I suggest, so parents and coaches will need to be vaxxed to get in. Personally, I hope they do that and enforce it, at least this year and the first half of next year.

Reply #872808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes agree that certainty is needed. Mark Neeld from Geelong flagged it in a local paper today but BV then were asked and said no decision as yet...mixed messages

Reply #872813 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How is "we haven't made a decision yet" a mixed message?

Reply #872819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not, it’s a non-message. They have a couple of weeks to say something. But if I was a coach, official or parent, I would very much assume that vax will be required ...

Reply #872823 | Report this post

Doggr  
Years ago

Hopefully this medical apartheid isn't enforced. Sadly most people are cooked.

Reply #872832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Neeld doesn't speak on behalf of BV. How is that mixed messages.

Government will make the call, expect vaccination to be required. Get the jab or don't bother.

Reply #872833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kids over 12 should also be vaxxed, in fairness to the coaches and officials.

Reply #872835 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

So a 12 year old is banned from playing sport because he/she isn't double vaccinated, and that's ok? If so, this country is fuc### up!

If 10-15% of adults will be segregated from society for making a choice not to take part in a VOLUNTARY medical procedure, that's terrible, but those adults at least can weigh things up and justify their own decision, enforcing a mandate on kids is just sinister.

You'd think that at least double that % of the youngest teenagers won't be vaccinated for now due to understandable hesitation, even from vaccinated parents, due lack of long term testing, you can't just remove all those kids from teams.

Reply #872846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Aron its happening. Try flying anywhere is 2022 unvaccinated! See how that goes for you.

Reply #872848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vaccination will be mandatory for all NBL1 players coaches and officials

Reply #872851 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Flying is one thing, I think you'll find rapid antigen testing will end up being the norm regardless of Vax status, but either way that doesn't even compare to banning kids from playing sport.

Reply #872855 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

How many parents of 13yo girls do you think are uncomfortable having their child vaccinated for now, at least until extensive testing is done on the age group?

Reply #872856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Life is uncomfortable for everyone right now. Still, double vax will be required. There's no avoiding it.

Reply #872858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I guess you are one of the ones not vaxxed, and don't want your kid to miss sport b/c of your decision. Just a guess, might be wrong.

Reply #872859 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

I don't have kids, yet, that's a reason for my personal hesitation right now, even if chances are very low. But where as I disagree with any segregation of society, at least mounting an argument for adult vaccination has at least some merit, regardless if I strongly disagree, that's just my choice for now. I'm at an age where I have friends with children who are petrified right now, and some of them are vaxxed themselves.

Mandating kids who have a statistically irrelevant chance of getting seriously I'll from covid, and knowing the Vax only reduces transmission and doesn't stop it is unethical and just wrong. There's a higher chance a teenage boy without serious underlying health conditions will end up in ICU with myocarditis from the vaccine than needing ICU from covid itself.

Reply #872861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is a scenario where their parents don't allow them to get vaxxed because of their dumb beliefs. this must be frustrating for the kids that aren't allowed to play basketball.

Reply #872892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's not the kids fault it's the delusional parents

Reply #872895 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

^ Correct, any parent not getting it won't be having their children done either that's for sure, so say that's 10%, but there's also a fairly large number of parents who are vaxxed due to workplace pressure, elderly parents, slight hesitancy for themselves but have come around to deciding yes, but they won't expose their Children to unknown risks, even if they may be rare.

Reply #872896 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

How's the local u14 comp looking if even 20% of kids are shut out? Or is it 30%? Good luck if that's the decision made for community sport.

Reply #872897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ 30% kids without the vaccine? I'm sure that wil be less. they won't put the rule in place straight away, they will do it by early-mid next year when there is enough time for kids to get vaccinated

Reply #872898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and anyways the government won't care how many players they lose. They will put the rules in place and the associations will have to follow

Reply #872900 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

If Victoria opens up in November for Vax only in venues for 12+, and even if it's 16+, does VJBL plan a restart?

In Victoria there won't be a known date for when unvaxed are allowed back like in NSW, where from December 1st all restrictions including Vax mandates will end.

Reply #872945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, with try-outs for VJBL only a couple of weeks away, time to reprise this thread - what are the vax rules for players, coaches, officials, parents?

Reply #874764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe contact the league? People here are only going to know what is public information

Reply #874765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that's right, but ok.

Reply #874766 | Report this post

Game Watcher  
Years ago

Point of requiring full vexed kids is actually two-sided.

1. Protect them longer term. More kids ending up with bad impacts from COVID. 15 yr old died recently in Vic and more cases in US.
2. Protect others as well.

Will be interesting to see what hey do but right now Gov rules are all about Vaxxed people having freedoms.

Reply #874774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely adults who are not vaxxed cannot coach or be involved when we open up??

Reply #874778 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Game Watcher that 15 year old sadly died of a brain tumour and was battling cancer, and happened to test positive to covid around the time of death. The family was pissed that the media used the case as part of the narrative.

If unvaxxed adults is for a while then OK, but there shouldn't be any mandates on under 18s.

Reply #874797 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

"15 yr old died recently in Vic and more cases in US"

Brett Sutton, what are you doing on Hoops? Take your fear mongering elsewhere!!!

On a serious note, Basketball NSW have made clear what they will and won't allow. U16s are allowed to play only if parents are vaxxed.

Still waiting for VIC government and their super computer to let us know what happens here!

Reply #874803 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

So in NSW can a 14yo have their parents drop them off and not go in the stadium?

Reply #874804 | Report this post

Game Watcher  
Years ago

Stand corrected. Can't believe what you hear on news anymore.

Reply #874848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS For Basketball Vic as per press release today

We have sought further clarity on vaccination requirements for Phase C (80% double dose - 16 plus) which we hope to have early next week.

At this stage in Regional Victoria (Phase B – 70% double dose 16 plus) the vaccination requirement is mandatory (as per the Mandatory Vaccination (Worker) Directions) for venue staff, organisation (association or club) staff and volunteer to be able to access an indoor venue – currently only in regional Victoria.

In addition, to be able to have 30 people per space – as per the Open Premises Directions any patron aged 16 plus must be fully vaccinated or the lower patron limit of 10 applies if vaccination status is not checked at entry.

Reply #874875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At last some info, albeit the most poorly drafted communication I have seen for some time.

Reply #874894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Myocarditis could be a problem for young males. A 14yo at my domestic club has it can't play any sport for 6 months. I pray he has no long term effects. I am 2xvax but many parents have a tough decision and I don't envy them.

Reply #874907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teenager at our club with Myocarditis as well, don't think his is 6 months off tho, still not good.

Reply #874908 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No vax required for Players or coaches

Reply #875062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a mess

Reply #875063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because BV say no vaxxed requirement... there will/could be situations and locations where games are at venues own/managed by Councils/Schools/YMCA's etc that require you to be vaccinated to enter the building.

Just because BV doesn't state the the mandate mean you will still be able to be involved in games etc.

Reply #875064 | Report this post

Relax Coach  
Years ago

From seeing the basketball Victoria post on Facebook and the associated commentary. There appears to be some concerned parents worried about the possibility of having some unvaccinated coaches potentially spreading COVID to their child.

Personally I think the coaches should be more concerned about the children spreading it to them.

Mind you I'm not sure why the vaccinated need to fear the unvaccinated.

Reply #875076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because if you had paid any attention you'd know being vaccinated doesn't stop you getting Covid. Educate yourself.

Reply #875077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#077 yes but to educate yourself you would also know the likelihood of hospitalisation etc being vaccinated is greatly diminished

Reply #875080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being young fit and healthy reduces your chances of going to hospital with covid almost entirely, especially teenagers. There's more chance of needing hospital for a full array of reasons involved with participating in sport that are far more likely than covid. We should ban setting back screens because of concussion, and also ban diving on a loose ball, also no jumping for a rebound anymore because you could land on someones foot and break your ankle, that will put strain on the public health system.

Reply #875092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy for people not to vax, just don't come to the courts. Know that at least 80% of people will not want you there.

Reply #875096 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Given that VIC is approaching 95% the impact of the unvaxxed is greatly reduced. Also unless that coach does nothing else for work, the chances of them being vaxxed would be quite high.

The comment above mentioning buildings requiring vax to enter, it would actually be wrong of BV to not enforce vax prior to the season, instead of people rocking up to a venue after 2 hours of travel to find out they won't be allowed in

Reply #875109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't want my kids to be coached by an unvaxed person.

Reply #875127 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Backflip.

Basketball Victoria has made the decision to require all individuals aged 16 plus to be fully vaccinated (unless medically exempt) to participate. This includes players, coaches, technical officials, spectators, volunteers or staff attending a venue for these events.

Reply #876866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the right decision.

Get vaxxed.

Reply #876882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754