Worthy of "Josh Giddey Beast Mode" as the thread title tbh

Reply #872973 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Years ago

He looked comfortable doing it as well

Reply #872975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looked really easy for him. Is it the NBA's court dimensions that provides the extra space or is that just defence isn’t played in the NBA until the playoffs, let alone preseason?

Reply #872976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Court dimensions and defensive rules. Luka said about a year ago it is much easier to score in the NBA than it is in Euroleague.

Reply #872978 | Report this post

CW  
Years ago

Maybe it is easier to score in the NBA, but that doesn't make his first pre season run any less impressive.

Reply #872986 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The most impressive thing to me is not what he did, but how he did it. Just went out there like a veteran and look care of business. Would be easy for a kid his age to retreat into his shell under the bright lights of the NBA, regardless of preseason or not. But Giddey is like a duck to water out there. He's built for this. He'll be tested in the proper NBA season, sure. But in a few years we're going to be looking at a very special player - one who will have the Boomers torch passed down to him with the expectation he'll be a leader in Paris.

Reply #872989 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Looking at the maturity in his game, then hearing his comments about his performance and his role on the team, he's just so sensible and grounded. Future captain/leader material. Near future, even.

The spacing in the NBA seems to further open up the strength of his passing game. He also seems to have little issue penetrating.

In his passing game, IMO he compares favourably to Simmons. Both are tall pass-first players, but Giddey seems a more skilled passer, more passing tools at his disposal, and he doesn't really force passes, just makes good decisions. Simmons seems to get a lot of his assists from brute penetration, then kicking out to the 3. An easy option. But Giddey just reads the game so well and sees the whole floor. His PnR game will be so valuable in the NBA. One PnR play in this game was so reminiscent of Ingles.

I hope we somehow see Giddey play again with Ingles and Delly. I feel like Giddey could absorb so much from them. Ingles with the PnR and Delly with the floor general mindset and all his wisdom from being a student of the game.

Reply #872995 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think 80 percent chance you see Ingles play with Giddey in Paris. Probably 50/50 on Delly

Reply #872997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles is 36 maybe 37 at paris olympics, 25/75 chance he plays
Delly will be 34, 10/90 chance.

Reply #872998 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

My guess is after the current contract Ingles will probably come back to the NBL. With a lower workload I see no reason he wouldn't play at the Olympics for one more shot. Look at Spain, most of their team were 36-37. If Ingles is still playing, and I am guessing he would be, I'd like his odds of making that team and putting his hand up.

Reply #872999 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

Awesome to see Josh doing well.

I think the spacing the modern NBA allows (both with placing more shooters and defensive 3 seconds) really suits his game, even without having an elite/quick first-step. He's plenty crafty though. You just hope he stays aggressive and pressures the D with penetration. I think he’ll be fine.

Reply #873000 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He looked good. Definitely needs to add more muscle and finish a bit more aggressively/explosively, he reminds me of rookie Exum in that way, avoids contact and tries to finish with finesse. He has nice touch so it can work, but I think longer term it's an area he needs to work on to be a more efficient offensive player... but hey, he's 18, going to enjoy watching him develop over his career.

Reply #873001 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think if we look at where he was before his NBL season, and then where he is now, you cant help but be extremely impressed with his development as a player and also physically. He's not going to win any body building awards but the guy has filled out very well in a short space of time and will continue to do so for a while yet. When he played for the Boomers against Hong Kong in that one off game, he had all the talent but physically he looked like a boy. He doesn't look quite so underdeveloped now and I think he'll be in great shape by this time next year.

Reply #873005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pre-season, game 1 at that. Let’s not get carried away just yet

Reply #873016 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

I wrote a nasty to the anonymous(e) who pointed out that "it's just 1 game" but deleted it. Can't believe that I wrote such things.

Reply #873031 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

It's so nice to have a positive to turn to instead of the ongoing negative around Ben Simmons.

I’m going to get behind Josh, as I can’t see him turning into such an arrogant pr.ck as Mr BS.

Reply #873047 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Another great outing for him - 13 points, 9 rebounds and 8 assists today.

Reply #873958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Almost a triple double in only 28 minutes. I think he will get at least 10 trip dubs this season.

Reply #873960 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Cant help but be impressed. I don't think anyone expected him to start quite this well. He's basically taken his NBL form straight to the NBA.. and maybe even a step or two better than that. I had pretty modest expectations for his career but they may need rethinking. Yes, it's preseason, but you can only play the competition in front of you and as of now, he's got an A+ from me.

Reply #873965 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Cant help but be impressed. I don't think anyone expected him to start quite this well. He's basically taken his NBL form straight to the NBA.. and maybe even a step or two better than that. I had pretty modest expectations for his career but they may need rethinking. Yes, it's preseason, but you can only play the competition in front of you and as of now, he's got an A+ from me.

Reply #873966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes as all said, very impressive.

Reply #873988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its preseason

Reply #873990 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Its preseason

Indeed. Therefore no opinions are permitted, and tbh anyone even looking at game footage should give themselves an uppercut.

Reply #873995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No different to the laker dialogue.

Reply #873997 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:12 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754