Student
Years ago

Research on player salaries

Hi everyone, I am a university student working on some research in regards to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the state leagues' financial situations.

I understand that this will be inexact, but I would like to get an idea on how the player salaries for 'imports' as well as 'good local players' have changed for this past year and going into the future in comparison to previous years.

This is for both NBL1 leagues as well as state leagues such as BigV, QBL and SBL as in most states other than Victoria NBL1 is a new thing.

Thank you to everyone in advance.

Topic #49283 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Good Luck. Nothing is published. I have an P&L for a club and it doesn't look even breakdown salaries

Reply #873007 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

One thing we know- salaries were halved during covid19.

The NBL made no secret of it.

According to goops, they're all on $400K, but don’t quote that.

Yes u could possibly get general information from player managers, or even the team’s total salary spend if they’ll let you have them.

Another interesting aspect to look at would be the effect on paid appearances.

Reply #873008 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Oops hoops (this forum) but arguably accurate

Reply #873009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As above, good luck.

If you haven't already tried it, approaching the management bodies for the leagues concerned may get you somewhere. You could ask them for aggregate information (e.g., max and minimum salaries over time, average over time, changes to salary caps or restrictions, numbers of players across the league who fall into various salary ranges, by local vs import status. Such information may be held by these bodies (to monitor salary cap rules) and you might get lucky.

Similarly, you could approach clubs directly and ask for similarly aggregated or de-identified data, subject to a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement and undertaking only to publish aggregate statistics. They might give you something, if you can convince them of your credibility and ability to keep details confidential.

Reply #873011 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

One thing we know- salaries were halved during covid19.

The NBL made no secret of it.
NBL salaries were not halved across the board last year, there were multiple tiers. That aside, OP is asking about state leagues, so none of this is relevant.

Reply #873019 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I should keep a list of threads over the years of students trying to do projects based on non-public basketball info. Surely there are easier topics to pick?

Reply #873021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree less in total was spent this year, but can tell you for a fact that locals made more $$ this year then they might ever again. $$ Saved on visas/ flights / accommodation for Americans and the lack of good tall players meant many were overpaid. Some teams didn't suit up two imports either...

Never going to get an accurate estimate for salaries on hoops OP but one fact I'll give you is for imports to come back on a second year visa they are getting min $500/week.

Reply #873026 | Report this post

Student  
Years ago

Thank you for the input everyone, unfortunately this is for uni and it is focused on community sport so I didn't have much of a choice.

Reply #873028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contact NBL1 league office. All player contracts needed to be submitted at start of the 2019 South season for sign off. There was also total data at end of season 1 on total player spend by club. The report just didn't call out the clubs . If they have same information for 2021 you will have some comparative data.

Reply #873043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL why make this info public for an anonymous stranger on the internet? Beat it, OP.

Reply #873115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754