Isaac
Years ago

Nets: Kyrie must be a full participant

Various restrictions around the US require players to be vaccinated in order to suit up on their home court, and the suggestion previously was that Kyrie might just miss home games. The Nets have since outlined their position.

Kyrie Irving will not play or practice with the team until he is full participant, Nets say.
Multiple sources with direct knowledge of Irving's decision have told The Athletic that Irving is not anti-vaccine and that his stance is that he is upset that people are losing their jobs due to vaccine mandates. It’s a stance that Irving has explained to close teammates. To him, this is about a grander fight than the one on the court and Irving is challenging a perceived control of society and people’s livelihood, according to sources with knowledge of Irving’s mindset. It is a decision that he believes he is capable to make given his current life dynamics. "Kyrie wants to be a voice for the voiceless," one source said.
Wonder if making it a personal protest rather than something closer to a religious position might mean they're not on the hook for paying him? Obviously pushing too hard will alienate him entirely.

There are other stories out about the Nets' ownership frustration with Kyrie's previous absence, that they signed Harden more or less as insurance for that, etc.

Topic #49315 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant believe that Kyrie went loco

Reply #873724 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

Actually not that surprising given his track record the last few years. It was hard to know if he was just trolling to prove how gullible the media is, but it seems he really does believe the Earth is flat amongst other curious beliefs.

Reply #873725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah thought he was trollin too for awhile but then realised the man has serious mental health issues.

Reply #873726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently he sits in his hotel room 95% of the time playing 2k by himself.

Weird with the clam shell n sage burning pre game.

Reply #873728 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Irving and Durant were always a package deal so the Nets made a deal with the devil by having to sign Irving to get Durant.

This statement came out after the Nets brass has a private meeting with Durant and Harden about the situation. This is likely the beginning of the process of trying to trade Irving. Even when he relents and agrees to take the vaccine he's done enough damage by constantly putting himself above the team that they need to get rid of him.

Reply #873735 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

Out of everyone in the league I think he is gonna be the most reluctant to get the jab. Every year he seems to be turning into more of a basket case. The last few years hes been more of a hindrance than anything else.

Reply #873736 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

He's a brilliant enough player that he’ll probably be able to push it the most before he (or his bank account) breaks. Other players like Andrew Wiggins, who was in a similar situation given San Francisco have a similar mandate to NYC, finally relented when he realised his position was untenable. It would be pretty unprecedented if Kyrie has managed to push himself out of league, but given his comments, I don’t know how concerned he is if that ultimately is the case. It’s not as if throwing tantrums about it.

Reply #873739 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

American-Aussies seem to be letting the side down a bit, eh! Not the ones who choose and chose to be Boomers, mind you. Just the ones who didn't and don't!

Oh, why are some of the best talents the least likable?

Reply #873740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite the agenda (vaccination mandate here) for Kyrie's personal protest, I do respect civilised non-violent, informed, activism in general.

I believe Kyrie would have potentially evaluated the consequences in his position, and that includes a possible early retirement. In fact, it seems like he is doubling down which is why, again aside from the agenda itself, I respect that because it's truly not about money for him.

Kyrie's different, and has numerous times mentioned his purpose is bigger than basketball - I think this is the first test in proving that virtue. As others mentioned (Wiggins et al), they probably didn't evaluate the consequences ($$) or cannot stay true to their belief when push came to shove.

Reply #873742 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have some sympathy for him - take away the basketball and he'd be that guy at the pub with dreamy ideas who bounces between jobs then disappears into vanlife (I'm well aware that I'm saying this as a person who talks about ideas at the pub, hasn't had a formal job in 20 years and owns a bus). Hard to marry/gel what would be eating away at his mind with the expectations of an elite athlete and with salary that goes with it. Many would just say "Do the job, earn the money, go be Boat Klay in the off-season like a normal person" but either his resistance to the mindworms is lower or his misconceptions are stronger. Glad I'm not paying his salary though.

Less about craziness about more about priorities perhaps.

There's a regular joke on r/NBA about the impact of the reporter who asked Kyrie about LeBron being a father figure. Set many things in motion with one mild question. Similar with the Simmons/Embiid stuff. Surprised more teams don't engage in mild psychological warfare against opponents. "He's wasted off the bench", "They call him Robin but he should be Batman", etc. But ramped up.

Like the poster one-up, I agree at least he's not ranting, feels there are bigger things than basketball and so on. He could mutually break contract and go start a mindfulness retreat or whatever speaks to him.

Reply #873743 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

From reports I heard he has said if he gets traded he will retire (a ploy to prevent teams from wanting him?). If I was the Nets I would have done the Simmons for Kyrie trade... they dont need scoring when they already have Harden and Durant and Simmons would give them a huge defensive upgrade.

Reply #873744 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Craig, on that:

The Sixers have no interest in trading for Kyrie Irving at the moment, per @sam_amick . An Irving for Ben Simmons trade is seen by some as an easy solution to both teams' problems.

Reply #873745 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

A Simmons for Kyrie exchange is interesting on paper, but if you're the 76ers, do you want the potential baggage Irving brings if he showed up? I don’t think the 76ers are at that point yet. I’d want to at least players who are wanting to be there (which is also why I’d end up getting $0.15 on the dollar). I’d love to see Simmons on court at effectively centre surrounded by Durant, Harden, Harris, and Patty.

Reply #873746 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Isaac, to be honest I dont believe a lot that comes out of the Sixers camp regarding Simmons as they are purely trying to do/say what they can to get him on the court and up his trade value.

If I am the Sixers do I want Kyrie? I suppose out of all deals thrown around this would be the best to date in 'star power' coming the Sixers way, but you are right do you really want the drama that comes with Kyrie.

Reply #873748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody would really want Kyrie if he threatens to retire unless it's Cavs or Rockets. Wall can't be moved with that contract, Nets will probably need to chuck in salary filler unless Wall restructures it, which he might to go from not playing to a contender.
Cavs have Love who has zero interest in taking a buyout. If somehow a Sexton deal can be arranged with him, that would give Nets a decent young point guard and Love playing a shooting cameo. And the irony of Kyrie going back to Cavs to be the main man. And the pick the Celtics gave Cavs in Kyrie deal was Sexton.
I'm not entirely sure of retirement repercussions on cap, but not many options out there.

Reply #873755 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

I believe if a player officially retires, he's contract is wiped from the cap, but players don’t tend to retire until the end of a contract. Plenty of 'effectively retired’ players have continued to exist as contracts (against the cap) long after they’ve finished playing. The only exception is medical retirements I believe.

In saying that, Kyrie would be nearing the end of his contract anyway if memory serves, but I imagine Brooklyn would want someone tangible back rather than a John Wall, "get out of long term money" type of trade.

Reply #873757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, Kyrie has $35.1m this season and then $36.6m next season.

The Nets have Harden for $44m and $47m, Durant for five years, Harris for three and not much more beyond this year besides Thomas and Sharpe.

Reply #873759 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

More opportunities for FIBA Patty!

Crazy thing is, even without Kyrie, Brooklyn probably wins the East.

Reply #873763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least he's putting his money where his mouth is. What's so wrong if he believes in it so strongly.

Reply #873788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's being an insanely selfish individual from a team mate perspective at minimum? The fact he is misinformed, and thinks he is about to become a cult leader is another. Never good when Trump Jnr and Ted Cruz are coming out in support lol

Reply #873796 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren’t there rumours going around last year in regards to the events proceeding the George Floyd incident that Kyrie was effected pretty significantly and was even considering retiring even back then? I also recall while players didn’t want to go to the bubble for family reasons, concerns about the practicality of the bubble etc, there were a contingent of players who didn’t want to go as not only in protest of systemic racism but to also try and spend time helping the respective communities they play for, have played for and are from, and if memory serves me correct Kyrie was the main voice of the not going to protest and help communities out. Then when the Wisconsin incident occurred and the Bucks protest lead to the big meeting with all the players in the bubble, many players felt and even admitted that Kyrie was right all along about what they should’ve done.

My point being that there were rumours last year about him retiring due to how effected he was from the George Floyd incident and the events following it, and combined with the previous year with Boston being a shit show, and how 2 years before that his last Cavs year by all indications was a shit show in that he wanted out and had little to do with the team, is that there’s been a build up of shit surrounding him to the point where he considered calling it quits a year ago.

Throw in his general weirdness it wouldn’t surprise me if he did hang the boots up.

I can’t remember who said this but there’s a quote and it’s something like "Kyrie loves basketball but doesn’t love being an nba player in regards to the constant media attention, and combine that with his outlook on life, it wouldn’t be surprising if he retired at an early age."

Reply #873814 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Kyrie may not like being an NBA player, but he accepted the salary that comes with all those expectations.

Like those others of his ilk, he uses it for pushing his own agenda (which are not necessarily bad agendas IMHO) but goes outside of the agreed contract that he has signed in order to do so.

Good to see a couple of teams finally not back down to this type of behavior and rather now allow players to decide if they want to meet their contractual obligations or risk missing those paychecks which give them the opportunity other don't get.

Reply #873815 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

I don't think anyone really has an issue if Kyrie chose to retire, for whatever reason, if he is content with that and feels in a better headspace than more power to him.

Reply #873825 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reminds me of Bison Dele:

Dele suddenly retired from the NBA before the start of the 1999-2000 season at age 30, when he was still in the prime of his career. He had been the Pistons' highest-paid player, but had strained relationships with the organization and decided to walk away from the remaining five years and US$36.45 million on his contract rather than be traded. It has also been theorized he had never been especially passionate about playing basketball and felt he had earned enough money to allow him to walk away from the pro game and lifestyle.
Dele 'disappeared' at sea a couple of years after retiring and was never seen again.

Prevailing response to the latest Kyrie chapter seems to be that if he's all about being a voice for the voiceless, he's not saying a great deal about his position. Likely put off by the media circus, confused about his motivations, etc.

Reply #873838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Due to a govt mandate introduced since Irving signed the contract there are parts of the deal he can't fulfil.

The Nets are paying him for the part of his contract he can fulfil, but have decided against having him there in person (possibly because they see it as a distraction, possibly as a leveraging tool).

At this point Irving is standing up to significant pressure. It is revealing that it took less than 75 years for the Nuremberg Code to be cast aside and people to be coerced into a medical trial. Interesting times.

Certainly Irving has made enough money, and will make more than enough money this year, to continue to stand for his beliefs if he chooses to.

Reply #873845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nets just announced they will not be offering him an extension

Reply #873848 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/13/jonathan-isaac-vaccine-covid-nba-orlando-magic-basketball-fox-news

An open letter from Etan Thomas to Isaac about his vaccine hesitancy also touches on Kyrie.

Reply #873852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Etan is accurate but quite unaware in his conclusions. Just as there are people who turned on Kaepernick now praising Isaac and Co, there are those who supported Kaepernick who have turned on Isaac and Co.

It is just another example of how polarised and political such discussions have become, and how anti-scientific many people's positions (from a range of perspectives) on the current issues are.

Reply #873854 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

" It is revealing that it took less than 75 years for the Nuremberg Code to be cast aside and people to be coerced into a medical trial."

I clearly need to add "people quoting irrelevant codes/laws" to the my list in the locked Bogut thread.

Reply #873863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referring to it as irrelevant reinforces the point perfectly.

Reply #873868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should play and spread the earnings to those effected.....

lol

Reply #873869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can not play and spread the $17 mill he does earn! Good problem to have.

Reply #873872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure anon, I mean, the Nuremberg code, devised after Nazi Germany scientists conducted experiments on 'undesirables', and today’s vaccine is very analogous.

Reply #873905 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754