TaipansTragic
Years ago

Should NBL Blitz include NBL1/NZNBL All Star Teams?

Would having NBL 1 All Star teams from each conference, be part of the Blitz moving forward, ever be a possibility? Or perhaps rewarding teams that win their respective conferences be apart of the Blitz, and have it occur earlier so if NBL teams are intrigued by some players, they could perhaps sign them up as development/training players. Maybe even have an NZNBL All Star team included?? Or would it be too much of risk, or logistical challenge for the mentioned teams??

Topic #49346 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

They did it a couple of years ago and they lost all their games by 50. Waste of everyone's time.

Reply #874660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No!

Reply #874664 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Years ago

@koberulz, Yeah fair enough. I almost forgot about that. I thought I'd put it out on the forum for discussion mainly because of this whole pandemic, and with states inevitable to enter snap lockdowns at any point.... The blitz could be short on teams if it was to be played in two different places/states… So logistically speaking, that was the reason behind it.

Reply #874665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #874672 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Only if it was G-League teams or European teams, but that means moving NBL Blitz to the states or Europe. Too dear for the NBL's budget. Unless they invite overseas teams to join the Blitz.

Reply #874673 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I was never a fan of the NBL Blitz.

Wish the NBL Cup could be on now instead. Put teams in 2 geological groups. If we lived in a perfect world, they start now. Shame the Australian state governments won't open up their borders.

If we had late September start in 2023 they could start NBL Cup groups. Top-4 quarterfinals, semifinals then Final in January sometime during the regular season.

Reply #874674 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think it is either so early that no NBL club has their imports yet or the all star team gets flogged so either way you lose integrity of the competition. I preferred when we flogged the Chinese teams.

But I think this may be getting asked as we didn't have the combine that out Dan Grida and others on NBL radars and how this could help expose some talent that may otherwise be left unexplored by the NBL teams

Reply #874687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 in the Blitz? How could that possibly occur! Many NBL1 players are now playing NBL FFS.

Reply #874689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Dumb.

Reply #874690 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How about Big V teams in the Blitz? Based on the traffic on here Chelsea, Hawthorn and Southern Peninsula would be massive drawcards and elevate the NBL's exposure.

Reply #874692 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

They should just look to bring in guest teams from Asia each season. Clearly difficult in covid era, but when things are "normal" it'd be a good way to start having some tournaments to include other teams in the broader region

Reply #874693 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"NBL1 in the Blitz? How could that possibly occur! Many NBL1 players are now playing NBL FFS."

Remember, it's an all star team, nationally - not each conference. There will be plenty of NBL1, quality players available and maybe even a couple of imports.

I don't like adding such a team but can see it could work, just not very well. IMO, the NBL1 team would have a lot of difficulties in even putting a team together. Who selects the squad, from all over Australia and/or NZ (easier there as mostly all happens in North Island). Who would cover the costs? All the logistics would make it a night-mare.

Anyone want to try to put together an NBL1 All Star team ? One that represents the best the NBL1 has to offer, including the 2 best imports available, excluding NBL players back with, or joining their NBL teams.

If I simply asked for nominations for any one position, say PG, it would be near impossible. 5 conferences nation-wide, 10 to 20 teams in each conference. That's between at least 75 PG's and double that to choose from.

Anyone want to nominate "Best NBL1 PG", nationally, and a back-up? [Can be imports][Can't be NBL'ers].

Reply #874695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have 10 teams. 6 in Tassie and 4 in NSW/VIC. Adding another team (an inferior team at that) adds nothing. Previously it got them to 10 teams.

Reply #874699 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I was never a fan of the NBL Blitz.

Wish the NBL Cup could be on now instead. Put teams in 2 geological groups. If we lived in a perfect world, they start now. Shame the Australian state governments won't open up their borders.

If we had late September start in 2023 they could start NBL Cup groups. Top-4 quarterfinals, semifinals then Final in January sometime during the regular season.
You want the pre-season tournament to occur during the regular season?

I don't think you understand what the Blitz is for.

Reply #874701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob T said "[Can't be NBL'ers]." That's exactly why it won't work.

Reply #874703 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

koberulz, dead right, "I don't (think you) understand what the Blitz is for." That is my point.

Here are the only answers I can come with and none of them seems worth the trouble.

1. Promotion: to start the season with an "event", a big bang,. Pass, just.
2. Show-case the new players: New "stars" and many of the older stars don't play. Those that do, don't really! Fail.
3. Show-case the new rosters: See 2.
4. Show-case bench players(who get little court-time): Some teams had to recruit players just to get enough on court. Fail.

I have much better answers for my preferred alternative.
[Will explain, if you want. Have done so elsewhere on hoops.com]

koberulz, can you help me to understand what the Blitz is for?

Reply #874705 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Can't take the credit for, "Rob T said "[Can't be NBL'ers]." Anonymous made this comment, "NBL1 in the Blitz? How could that possibly occur! Many NBL1 players are now playing NBL FFS.", and of course, he's right.

Reply #874706 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's to give the teams actual game experience and time to test things out on the floor against new opponents rather than just scrimmaging against themselves. It's pre-season. It's a warm-up for the regular season.

Any promotional/fan-oriented aspect is a bonus.

Reply #874710 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

A Big V Allstar team competed in the Blitz when it was in Cairns, somewhere around 2005-06.

Reply #874735 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I'm sure the NBL Blitz started in 2013.

I know they had preseason in Coffs Harbour in 2006. Not sure if that was the Blitz or not.

Melbourne Tigers even played a preseason tournament in Singapore when the Slingers joined.

Reply #874776 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Wish I knew how to reply, can't find it on settings anywhere @koberulz.

What I mean is start the NBL Cup before the regular season. Look up the BBL Cup format in the British Basketball League. They also have 10 teams like the NBL. They have 2 groups and play majority of those’s games between late September till late October. Their regular season starts late October so some games may clash with the regular season.

Cup games would be seperate to regular season tickets. Cup game tickets could be just general admission tickets so everyone has a change seeing a game without being a member. Members reserve the majority of the seats in the season. I would love to watch United in one of those’s Tassie games, but it’s looking very less likely because majority of the tickets are sold to members. Not sure why NBL couldn’t make the Tasmanian stadium 7,000 or 8,000 for the away teams. Even if they just had one bay for visitors.

BBL does play Cup games home and away once each, but it’s too many games. NBL teams could just play 4 home games and 4 away, random draw.

Of course have some sort of preseason tournament. I’m not saying have no preseason lol.

Reply #874785 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm sure the NBL Blitz started in 2013.

I know they had preseason in Coffs Harbour in 2006. Not sure if that was the Blitz or not.
You do realise the "Blitz" is just a name, right? It's just pre-season, it doesn't matter what you call it. But they've been calling it the Blitz for over 20 years, on and off.

Reply #874794 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Should of mentioned the Loggins-Bruton Cup.

Blitz has always been used, but I'm sure they only used the Loggins-Bruton Cup MVP from 2013.

Reply #874795 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754