Anonymous
Years ago

Top 8 junior finals

So now we're at the prelim and grand final weekend with 4 teams left. What are people’s thoughts on keeping the top 8 format? I like the idea of it but I assume without looking that the top 4 from winter are still playing now with maybe a 5th placed team that has beat 4th has snuck in.

Do we keep it or do we scrap it and just go the traditional 1v4 and 2v3?

Thoughts?

Topic #49357 | Report this topic

-  
Years ago

finals should be relevant to amount of teams in division.

i.e. If 8 teams top 4 - 10 teams top 5

I've noticed a lot of groups have ended up with the top 4 left standing regardless.

Reply #874970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 4s make the regular season pretty irrelevant when most grades have a max of 10 teams.

Reply #874973 | Report this post

Sixers1  
Years ago

I see it as a positive.

More children get to play finals basketball = more development
More referees get finals refereeing experience = more development

Teams that were out of finals race normally, still have motivation to compete during the regular season

Reply #874974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timing wise would be difficult, but have a play in tournament for 5th seed. Have 5v8, 6v7 in morning after final round. Winners playoff in afternoon for chance to advance. Then usual 1 seed has 1st week off, 2v3 and 4v winner of playoff. Problem is it would be hard to implement so quickly on a Saturday, maybe make it the Sunday to give people time to prepare. And wouldn't want top seed to have 2 weeks off in a row and potentially 2 games in 5 weeks if play in is held following week.

Reply #874978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm usual is top 4. Not sure what you'e going on about there #978. We're not talking NBL1

Reply #874980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Ummm, duh, read the thread title. Somehow there's 8 out of maybe 10 teams in division making finals. Putting forward a suggestion how to arrange it somehow in a different way. And a double chance for finishing in top 3 is way better than sudden death in a 4 team final.
One of best things about NCAA tournament is Cinderellas that get through against the big boys. Maybe in these formats a 6 or 7 seed can make a run. Actually would make the postseason more interesting, but still giving the higher seeds the advantage they gained.

Reply #874992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA have already said this is a one time thing. Will sensibly revert to business as usual next year.

Reply #874996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cinderella teams have to be considered in the top 68 of iver 350. I don't think that's an arguement for expanding finals from 4 out of 10.

Reply #874998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Working through Div 1 teams it appears two teams that weren't top four are still playing this weekend. U14 boys Woodville who finished 7th which is actually kind of impressive and U16 girls Eastern who finished 5th. So basically across boys and girls D1 8/10 comps still have the top 4 teams playing.

I think top 4 works best.

Reply #875010 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Would be great to see higher placed teams rewarded with home court too in finals...share the love!

Reply #875013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is totally in financial to play home and away for finals. This has been explained numerous times.

Reply #875024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

992, as 998 has pointed out, Cinderella teams don't come from way down the bottom. They are still in the top 20% or so of teams. Coming 8th in a 10 team comp should not entitle you to have a chance at that.

Reply #875029 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hoping they use some of the larger stadiums rather than the two stadiums which have limited spectator numbers.

Reply #875031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fixture is online so you can check out the schedule yourself.

Reply #875052 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I didn't mind the top 8 finals, but realistically the teams in bottom half have little chance of getting into final four, as they would only win 4-6 games for the season. Ends up just a charity game for the bottom four.

Can't believe that the Lights has not been used much for finals. Div 1's should have been using the Lights, not playing finals at Marion. I guess they use the BSA stadiums first but Marion is too small for finals, horrible for spectators and should not be used. Same goes for Pt Adelaide. Seating for spectators is terrible and courts are not big enough.

Reply #875067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As you say, BSA stadiums are not up to scratch. Too cheap to give customers a good experience, just adding money to war chest.

Reply #875071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1s should have been using St Clair.
2s at Lights.

Reply #875079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why?

Both have seating on 1 court only. Both cost BSA money to hire. St Clair has a sub-par floor that Port and Marion are both better than.

Wayville should be first used. Courts 1 & 3.
Lightsview second
Any other venue 3rd as long as arrangements are made to spread the games out to ensure space for spectators and Covid requirements are considered.

Reply #875082 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Charge more for entry under the promise spectators no longer have to pay. Then play finals a time when people want to watch at stadiums that allow the least amount of spectators to attend.

Reply #875084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

082 Wayville first? There goes your credibility.

Reply #875087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Sturty, I've always thought Way like was the best place for game.

1/ Most central venue
2/ Good crowd accommodation and parking availability.
3/ Maximising BSA revenue
4/ great when only using courts 1 and 3.

I’d agree that Lightsview should be the next venue.

Reply #875090 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Any stadiums not leaking tonight?

Reply #875338 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@338. The Lights.
Water leaking onto all courts at Port Adelaide. Average spectator seating with seats at ends of court.

The Lights should be used as much as possible, and the cameras should be used for live streaming as BSA has spectator restrictions.

Reply #875411 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

one thing I have enjoyed is having a certain age group (all divisions) at one venue (hasn't happened all the time but on occasions)

Reply #875424 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Winners by club over all age groups
Sturt 10
Woodville 9
North 7
Norwood 7
South 6
Southern 3
Forrestville 2
West 2
Eastern 2
Central 2
Church 1
Modbury 1

Reply #875535 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sturt: G: 5 B: 6
Forestville: G: 2 B: 0
North: G: 2 B: 5
Norwood: G: 4 B: 3
Mavericks: G: 1 B: 1
Centrals: G: 0 B: 1
South: G: 1 B: 5
Southern: G: 0 B: 3
West: G: 2 B: 0
Woodville: G: 2 B: 7

D1:
Norwood - 3 (2B, 1B)
Sturt - 2 (1B, 1G)
West - 2 (2G)
Centrals - 1 (1B)
South - 1 (1B)
Woodville - 1 (1B)
Forestville - 0
Mavericks - 0
North - 0
Southern - 0

Reply #875538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those numbers are wrong

Reply #875542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see north did so well after their fantastic appointments. Another review maybe?

Reply #875544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't every Club review their season at the end of a year? Results, development, improvement, issues, gaps etc.

I hope North do a review, I hope all clubs do. If your club doesn't they clearly don't want to get better.

Reply #875546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They did a review after their disastrous state champs, not much changed. For a club spouting how great they are, not much silverware.
My review, brought in too many people thinking they're God's gift. How many years in a row had their 16 boys won it? Wonder what the factor was in that stopping.

Reply #875559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone got stats on numbers of teams from each club made the GF's?

Reply #875566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon which Boys Div1 comp did Sturt win?

Reply #875577 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

Sturt win 0 D1 boys titles actually.

Some food for thought here. Looking at state champs style scoring but without 3/4 playoff games obviously.

State Boys

North 9
South 7
Woodville 7
Central's 7
Norwood 6
Sturt 6
Eastern 2
Southern 0
West 0
Forestville 0

State Girls

West 10
Sturt 9
Forestville 8
Norwood 7
Eastern 5
South 3
North 2
Central’s 0
Southern 0
Woodville 0

State Overall

Sturt 15
Norwood 13
North 11
South 10
West 10
Forestville 8
Eastern 7
Woodville 7
Central’s 7
Southern 0

Boys Reserves

Sturt 15
Norwood 8
South 7
North 5
West 4
Central’s 3
Woodville 2
Eastern 0
Forestville 0
Southern 0

Girls reserves

Forestville 12
Norwood 11
Sturt 10
Eastern 6
Central’s 2
North 1
South 1
West 1
Woodville 0
Southern 0

Overall reserves

Sturt 25
Norwood 19
Forestville 12
South 8
Eastern 6
North 6
West 5
Central’s 5
Woodville 2
Southern 0

Trophies

State Boys - North
State Girls - West
State Overall - Sturt

Reserves Boys - Sturt
Reserves Girls - Forestville
Reserves Overall - Sturt

Teams in D1 finals/wins

Boys

Sturt 0/2
Norwood 1/1
South 1/1
North 0/2
Woodville 1/1
Central’s 1/1

Girls

West 2/2
Sturt 1/1
South 0/1
Norwood 1/1
Forestville 0/2
Eastern 0/1

Seems to be a much more even result from years prior.

I’d suggest the club most likely to need an internal review would be Southern. Zero teams in top 4 of either D1 or D2. Significant drop of since Nyberg out.

And surely Forestville have their annual boys performance review. Girls are still strong, just not as dominant.

Sturt only winning D1 18 girls would be a concern for them, gone are the days of domination. However, they did perform up to expectations in D2. D1 boys a major concern.

As for North, winning State Boys is a good result. Girls still need work, not sure what people are expecting with boys. Not like they’ve been winning boys overall titles recently.

South the big improver equal 4th in D1 and 3rd in D2

West girls doing great.

Norwood consistent on all fronts.

Woodville and central’s improved. Eastern have decent pockets only.

Reply #875598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're not first, you're last.

Reply #875610 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

"from the stats room" a hoops posting icon ! thank you

Reply #875614 | Report this post

#566 total GF Results (Not that IMO this is an accurate way to rate clubs as the Pro/Rel system this year was grossly flawed)

Boys:
Sturt: 12 (4 & 8)
North: 10 (5 & 5)
Woodville: 9 (7 & 2)
South: 7 (5 & 2)
Norwood: 5 (3 & 2)
Southern: 5 (3 & 2)
Centrals: 4 (2 & 2)
West: 4 (0 & 4)
Modbury: 4 (1 & 4)
Eastern: 1 (1 & 0)
Forestville: 1 (0 & 1)
SA Church: 1 (1 & 0)
United: 1 (0 & 1)

Girls:
Sturt: 9 (5 & 4)
Norwood: 7 (4 & 3)
Forestville: 5 (2 & 3)
Eastern: 3 (1 & 2)
North: 3 (2 & 1)
South: 3 (1 & 2)
Woodville: 3 (2 & 1)
West: 2 (2 & 0)
Centrals: 1 (0 & 1)
Southern: 1 (0 & 1)
Western: 1 (0 & 1)

Reply #875625 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

stats did you factor possible 3rd 4th points in those state champs tallies ?

Reply #875637 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

Tried as best I could based on semi finals results. Or close games/losing to GF winner.

Results aren't as precise as they could otherwise be.

Reply #875645 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754