Peter
Years ago

OKC v Lakers - spoiler

OKC beat Lakers 123 - 115.

Another big game by Josh Giddey who got 1st double double.

18 points, 10 assist, 2 rebounds but more importantly the W

Topic #49372 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey is the real deal. Future all star

Reply #875251 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

We need a permanent pinned thread- Giddey BEAST MODE alert!

Reply #875258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barnes leading rookie race

Reply #875260 | Report this post

RS  
Years ago

He had a great game. Did almost throw it away in the last 11 seconds though with that inbound pass.

Reply #875262 | Report this post

His transition to NBA at his age has been nothing short of remarkable. Can't wait to see him in the Green & Gold.

Reply #875268 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Dad's Army are struggling.

Shocked to be sitting here.

Reply #875274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah come on Dad's army will win it all and LeBum MVP was the post here recently

Reply #875284 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I know ESPN analysts have him ranked 7th among rookies but I see that changing soon enough. The kid can flat out play and makes the game look easy. Loving the nickname too - The Wizard of Oz.

Reply #875285 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm lovin' it.
Even sweeter because it was the Lakers they broke the duck against.

Reply #875286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They let him run the point to start the 4th when Shai was resting. He sliced the lakers up with the pass and floater. I can see him leading the league in assists one day.

Reply #875295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They let him run the point to start the 4th when Shai was resting. He sliced the lakers up with the pass and floater. I can see him leading the league in assists one day.

Reply #875296 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Going OK the kid. His defense is woeful currently, like properly bad. Thankfully his performances at the other end of the court are making up for it. He seems pretty switched on, I am sure he will osrt it out over the course of the season.

Reply #875301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the regular season there is no defense in the NBA besides the end of a tight game in the 4th quarter. I have watched all of the thunders games and he has shown defensive lapses but also shown good positional defensive and has the length to get deflections.

Reply #875302 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Me, "Loving the nickname too - The Wizard of Oz.", me too!

Nothing is a shame with Josh Giddey except that he wasn't named Warrick Giddey Jr. or "Waz", as all Warricks get called.

Anyone for "Wazard of Oz"?

He could even copywrite/trade-mark that!

Reply #875306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank God we took Nathan Sobey to the Olympics.....imagine the scrutiny that decision would be getting if we'd lost to someone other than USA in the semis or to Slovenia in the Bronze game!

Reply #875308 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Just read Giddey the 3rd youngest player ever in NBA to have 10 assists.

The 2 ahead of him is LeBron twice.

www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-28/josh-giddey-history-double-double-oklahoma-city-win-lakers/100576852

Reply #875309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#308 Sobey was an MVP candidate. Giddey wasn't. I wonder what Sobey could do in the NBA?

Reply #875320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the recent NBL signings in the NBA have shown they can play there. Some of them were not that great in the NBL.

Reply #875321 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Vic Law said last year it's harder to score in the NBL than in the NBA. All the rules in the NBA are geared towards offence, the lack of defence, faster pace and the 20% extra game time is why all the stats in the NBA are heavily inflated.

Jae'Sean Tate had a 16 point + 14 rebound game the other day I don't remember him having a game that good in the NBL. Giddey's already playing better in the NBA than he did in the NBL too.

Reply #875324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doncic said the same about the Euroleague to NBA

Reply #875328 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" It's the regular season there is no defense in the NBA besides the end of a tight game in the 4th quarter."

In the absence of the Spurs being any good - I can only really watch regular season NBA games in the context of wanting to watch Giddey and Mills score - everything else is straight up boring.

At least we are lucky enough to be a country where our local league has a good balance of offence and defence.

Euros are stuck with all O no D NBA or no O all D local leagues!

Reply #875329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is just way too many games in the NBA regular season for teams to exert so much effort on the defensive end. That is why I prefer to watch the NBL, well while it is way less talented, the teams only play 1 or 2 forty minute games so they can go all out on defense.

Reply #875331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 3 pt line being alot further out helps Giddeys game, he better suited to nba than nbl.
No nbl guy is making the jump unless you have elite passing, speed or athleticism.

Reply #875333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey is already really nice on the catch and shoot threes. You can tell he put in the reps in the off season. Only if Big Ben had the same work ethic lol.

Reply #875334 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Did almost throw it away in the last 11 seconds though with that inbound pass."

Looking at the slowmo replay of that and it was actually a reasonable pass. The player he was targeting made an inexplicable cut away from the open area at the exact moment Giddey passed it.

Reply #875335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be that greatest Aussie of all time

Reply #875336 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hopefully his game transitions well into FIBA ball leading the Boomers to gold.

Reply #875337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching the game one could say that Josh is already fitting in on court as he was a turnstile on defence like everyone else :)

Reply #875347 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Vic Law said last year it's harder to score in the NBL than in the NBA."

This is just PR.

He played 62 minutes of NBA basketball and went 6/18 from the field. I'm pretty sure he found it easier to score in the NBL.

The real reason defenses look bad in the NBA is that offensive ability is streets ahead of the rest of the world's leagues.

Reply #875363 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Individual offensive ability might be superior, but offensive schemes are not. The schedule appears to be too demanding for sophisticated motion offensive schemes. Teams will expend a lot less effort to have a bit of ball movement and a couple screens or a penetrating player to create 3PAs or take turns going iso or let a superstar work their magic.

Defense in the NBA appears inferior due to lack of intensity, spacing allowed and rule interpretations which restrict help defense and defense generally. It's obviously not fair to label individual players as weaker defensively, but it's still fair to say NBA defense is inferior. The rules restrict the top defenders more than FIBA.

These changes fit Giddey's game so well as he can more easily penetrate, there's less help defense when he does and there is more spacing to whip his passes across the floor. Plus his PnR game is a strength which suits the NBA game.

Reply #875381 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He played 62 minutes of NBA basketball and went 6/18 from the field. I'm pretty sure he found it easier to score in the NBL.

You're conflating opportunity vs production. He didn't get the opportunity to play in the NBA, in part due to the better talent. Why would Law need to say that? The NBL is just another league to an import just another temp gig on their journey. Giddey's finding it much easier to score in the NBA than the NBL.

The real reason defenses look bad in the NBA is that offensive ability is streets ahead of the rest of the world's leagues.

Oh yeah of course that's what the NBA media machine wants you to think. If the final score of a game is 140-130 must mean they're supremely talented offensively. If a guy like Westbrick can average a triple double what does that tell you?

Reply #875384 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think the key phrase there is the NBA defence "appears" inferior. Again this is due to far superior offensive talent. Yes the spacing is a big issue that makes it harder to defend, but this doesnt mean the defense is inferior, it means they've got more obstacles to defend.

We end up getting some really good offensive players in the NBL who couldnt make the NBA and almost always the reason they cant stick as they cant defend there.

Zodiac "He didn't get the opportunity to play in the NBA, in part due to the better talent."

when he did get the opportunity he only shot at 33%. Surely if it were easier to score in the NBA he would have done it more times?

"Why would Law need to say that?"

Because literally every person I know says nice things about their new gig when they start a new job even if they dont mean it

"Giddey's finding it much easier to score in the NBA than the NBL."

Yep, the spacing does help him, so too doe natural development going from being 18 to 19.

"Oh yeah of course that's what the NBA media machine wants you to think."

Or ya know, just watching it

Reply #875385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA regular season is like a pick up game or social league effort. Teams don't try on defence until late in the 4th quarter. Too many games in a short amount of time to give maximum effort and intensity.

Reply #875387 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No, the NBA defence is trash.

For their superior offensive players compared to the NBL, their defensive superiority doesn't go up a notch because the effort simply isn’t put in until playoffs.

They play isolationist style - that’s not what you do to challenge defence structures.

For a long time Spurs were a defensive force because they focused on that - and were overwhelmingly criticised as boring. Other teams didn’t replicate it.

Reply #875388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:13 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754