NBL FAN
Years ago

Hyrum Harris signs with Adelaide 36ers

https://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/hyrum-harris-added-to-36ers-roster

Topic #49385 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Hyrum Harris joins Dusty Hannahs, Mojave King, Mitch McCarron, Todd Withers, Kai Sotto, Emmanuel Malou and Tad Dufelmeier Jr. as new additions to this season's roster, which includes existing members Isaac Humphries, Sunday Dech and Daniel Johnson.
So, that's 11 players, and I assume is the final roster with an import up the sleeve?

Reply #875660 | Report this post

NBL FAN  
Years ago

you would imagine

Reply #875661 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

It's not exactly an awe inspiring roster is it?

Reply #875665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they signed up this guy instead of Bairstow?

Reply #875666 | Report this post

36ers Roster  
Years ago

They might sign Bairstow to the last spot instead of an import and then keep that import up their sleeve for an injury or underperforming player?

Reply #875667 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

nah they won't sign bairstow if they signed hyrum

Reply #875668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy looks like a scrub. They should of signed Bairstow. Malou, Harris, Sotto too many scrubs on this team to make the playoffs

Reply #875669 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So, that's 11 players, and I assume is the final roster with an import up the sleeve?

Mojave King is a Next Star so can't count as being on the roster so we've only got 10 players signed to the roster, one more signing to go.

Reply #875671 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I didn't mind what I saw from Harris when he was with the Hawks a couple of years ago but one big concern is when the Taipans signed him as an injury replacement during last season I don't think he ever played a game for them. He did sit on the bench for them at the NBL Cup but never saw him get minutes in their box scores.

As others have said Harris being a PF they won't sign Bairstow too, he's been signed instead of Bairstow.

Reply #875672 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"It's not exactly an awe inspiring roster is it?"

I think the team has a good core but definitely questions around depth. It shits me off to no end when teams decide against getting the full compliment of three imports. There is always some wanky justification for it, but in the end, it's a team opting to have less talent than they could possibly have due to injuries, which are totally unpredictible anyway, and arent worth shortchaning your team from the start for.

Reply #875675 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Hyrum looks like he runs the floor well, and is a little crafty and athletic, but he's a 12th man at NBL level. How many 12th men does this team already have? Sotto, Malou, Harris, Dufelmeier. The team has too many guys wbo are absolute bit-players in the league. Was this thwe trade off for getting rid of Teys, where we had to pick up a bunch of guys whose contributions would be similar?

Reply #875676 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I habitually followed the 36ers - and this is the most changes to the team that I have seen....

Reply #875678 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think the team has a good core but definitely questions around depth. It shits me off to no end when teams decide against getting the full compliment of three imports.

I remember JVG doing this at the Kings, on top of giving duds like David Wear a 2 year deal so they couldn't be cut and generally signing crap imports. He really struggles with imports which is why I'm expecting both of ours will probably be duds.

Reply #875679 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Dusty Hannahs might be a good shooter.. Be interesting to see how CJ goes...
So many new 'faces'...

Reply #875681 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hannahs might indeed be a good shooter doesn't mean he'll be able to get his shot off in this league, plenty of guys have come out here with reputations as lights out shooters and scorers (e.g. Tony Crocker, Brandon Paul) and been disappointments.

Hannahs will need to be Tyler Harvey-level good to get this Sixers team into playoff contention and Withers gives the impression of a #3 import not a #2 like we're hoping he will be.

I think this Sixers team could actually be worse than last season's team.

Reply #875682 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Brandon Paul mighta been alright without Coach Henry..
CJ MIGHT be better..

Reply #875684 | Report this post

36ers Roster  
Years ago

where to now for Bairstow then?

Reply #875685 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SEM or injury replacement through out the season

Reply #875689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide look like a bottom 2 side. I agree with ME too many nbl1 standard players on this team Malou, Harris, Sotto, Dufflemier. Also big question marks on Humphries (Injury), Johnson (old). Withers and hannahs could be complete busts as well.

Reply #875691 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^ That's my take as well.

One of the criticisms of seasons past for Adelaide is having a glut of "average" players that don't actually *add* anything. They are just there to "fill time".

Where some teams fill those spots with a shooter (like White at Hawks) or a defensive guy like Boucher (Past Bullets/NZ), 36ers don't really do that.

Add in the risk of Humphries injury wise and DJ not being great defensively, you start to see where good decisions/signings (like McCarron) can come unstuck with bad ones.

IMO a good side you deliver majority minutes to 8 players, and if you're lucky they are flexible enough skills/height/athleticism/build wise to cover if someone is injured or in foul trouble or fatigued.

Then you have 2-3 players filling specific roles that can do damage: we need a guy that can just rock up and shoot, or we need a guy that will just clamp down on defense for a few minutes, or we need a guy that will just bring rebounding effort. They don't need to be good at other things, they just need to fill a *particular gap* for a few mins in a game.

When you have a good core to start with:

Humphries your strong build centre with defense and offense strengths; DJ with shooting at Power Forward; Dech with 3+D as an elite defender covering SG/SF; McCarron covering your PG offensively and defensively, that means you look for:

Imports:
Shooting SG (they did)
Lengthy 3+D SF (maybe Withers, we don't really know?)
Defensive PF

To join IH/MM in starting 5

Residual Guys:
Shooting PG, Shooting SG, Rebounding C to join Dech + DJ

Reply #875698 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

That thing above his lip is already cause for concern.

Reply #875712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To few get the big money, the rest are budget, nbl1 standard. Looking like another long season.

Reply #875714 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This does not seem to be a popular opinion but the Sixers are a Top 4 team.

PG - 4k McCarron is one of the best Australian guards if not the best at the moment. He brings everything offence, defence, rebounding, passing, and dual championship experience. off the bench - Duffelmeier is knocking on the door of starting, he is ready to take the next step.

SG - Dech, elite defender and can knock down shots, will be a good foil against the Harvey's, Cotton's and Sobey's.
Off the bench - Hannahs I have no knowledge of, but Mohave King is one of the best Next Stars, when he got playing time he did well at Cairns.

SF - Withers, no knowledge of.

PF - DJ - Elite offensive player, great rebounder. Defence a Work in Progress.

C - Humphries - Probably the best 5 man in the league when fit. Brings effort on both ends. Soto - no knowledge of.

But the above is a nice 7 man rotation at least.

In fact, can anyone name a better guard rotation that the Sixers?

36ers - MM, Duffelmeier, Dech, King, Hannahs

Perth - Norton, Cotton, Frazier but then drops off with White and Travers.

United - CG43, Ili, Delly then drops off to the Prewster level.

The only two that are comparable are :
- The Hawks - Harvey, XRM, Jessop, Cleveland, Naar.
- Breakers - Besson, Martin, Siva, WMW and Bach.

If the imports are decent, we make the playoffs, maybe even Top 3.

Reply #875715 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably a bit late to be saying "Defence a Work in Progress." Simple fact is he needs to be paired with a defensive big. And in this case, the defensive big needs to stay healthy. If that works, then McCarron, Dech, DJ, Humphries is a great base.

A lot of unknown quantities after that though.

Reply #875716 | Report this post

Charon 83  
Years ago

Part of the reason JVG always signs dud imports is because he only takes them from one agent ..... for some reason.

Can't see 6ers making playoffs with this roster / coach / culture.

Reply #875718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide will be just fine if they can defend 3 n 4 positions.

Reply #875719 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Probably a bit late to be saying "Defence a Work in Progress.

Sorry everyone but that was tongue in cheek.

Reply #875723 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The one and only aspect of this Sixers roster that could be defined as 'fine' is PG with McCarron and Dufelmeier.

Reply #875724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCaron not a duel championship winner, last season was first.

Sixers got some quality and lot average, injury free run and they will be fine, injuries could derail them very quickly.

Reply #875731 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Years ago

Harris needs a chance, really liked him at hawks. He showed promise. Him at 3, McCarron, dech, Humphries. That's strong defensively stronger if withers is athletic n shows abit of Childress, hannan' can actually shoot we will b fine.

Reply #875761 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That thing above his lip is already cause for concern.

Sixers made the unprecedented move of announcing a second signing on the same day to distract us all away from it.

Reply #875764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Charon 83. If people (or maybe a certain owner) knew the bullshit that goes on, well maybe the sixers wouldn't be the basketcase they are.

Reply #875766 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'm not disillusioned ...I'm just not illusioned, either.
I don't think we'll win the ship.. about 5th..

Reply #875771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754