Anonymous
Years ago

Will WA borders force change to Wildcats schedule?

With today's announcement of WA’s pathetic roadmap to reopening you’d expect a schedule change and the Wildcats to be on the road till March. Let’s see how their playoff streak goes now.

Topic #49393 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes,, could be very interesting.

Reply #875884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wnbl too?

Reply #875885 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

Wildcats will be on a road for months. WA Premier doesn't care about Sport. Just watch 9news.

I had the Wildcats in my top-4 predictions, but now with a new coach, plus travel they won’t qualify.

Wildcats finals appearances has always been lucky. Go back to 2004 when they finished in 7th position with a 15-18 (.455), it was a terrible record.

Perth keep forgetting to thank former NBL CEO Rick Burton for their never ending finals streak. Rick made that silly top-8 elimination finals format.

If the NBL stayed with the 2003 finals format then the Wildcats finals streak would be cooked. Thank Rick Burton Perth lol not your club lol!

Reply #875886 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sport is the only thing he cares about. He still wants the Ashes.
NBL might be ok, provided the NBLPA agree to players being in a hub whilst in Perth.

WNBL I can see an issue as there are players that aren't full time.

Reply #875887 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The wildcats schedule if you've seen it the teams they play are kind of back to back

Reply #875888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they are closed to the rest of the country it will be difficult

Reply #875889 | Report this post

Rookie81  
Years ago

The premise of this threat is incorrect.

WA borders are open to Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Northern Territory.

Restrictions on New South Wales and Victoria will ease as community spread declines, as has always been the process.

Reply #875890 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

#886 Wildcats finals appearances have always been lucky!? Always!? Probably the stupidest comment written on this forum and that's saying something.

Reply #875892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rookie maybe understand the national reopening before you comment. When for example SA open their borders to NSW/Vic on November 23 WA will close it's borders. Please keep up

Reply #875893 | Report this post

Rookie81  
Years ago

WA border restrictions are based on Risk Categories that apply to each jurisdiction within Australia. These categories are: Very Low, Low, Medium, High and Extreme.

The criteria for moving between Risk Categories is the amount of community spread of the virus.

All jurisdictions are currently Very Low, except Victoria (Extreme) NSW (will move to High on Saturday) and the ACT (Medium).

The only thing that will change South Australia's Risk Category is a notable rise in community transition.

It is hoped that high vaccination rates is NSW and Vic will lead to lower rates going forward and this initial rise follow their reduction in restrictions.

Reply #875895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

During the AFL season, WA had 'closed' borders but games were still able to be played. Could the NBL have a similar exemption?

Reply #875900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"WA borders are open to Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Northern Territory."

Yes, however QLD, SA and TAS are all opening up soon, so they will no longer be zero-COVID. That is likely to change how the WA govt categorises them.

Reply #875901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I expect that most states' opening up strategies include restrictions of some sort on entries of interstate travelers from areas deemed to be of high risk. e.g., after November 23, SA will allow most fully vaccinated people from interstate to enter freely (no quarantine), but will require quarantine for fully vaccinated people from Local Government Areas with "community transmission and less than 80% of the population fully vaccinated".

From the As at 24 October (https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2021/10/covid-19-vaccination-local-government-area-lga-25-october-2021.pdf) the City of Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Launceston, Melbourne, Knox, and Perth LGAs all were below 90%. Several are more than 20% below that 90% threshold (City of Melbourne was only 62.8% fully vaccinated).

So it's possible (probable?) that there'll be times when one or more of those LGAs will be caught by the SA quarantine criteria, early in the NBL season. If that coincides with an NBL team coming from that LGA to play in Adelaide, the players and staff may be expected to quarantine. That would affect the 36ers and the teams based in those LGAs.

Presumably other states will have similar rules in place until 90% full vaccination is reached. That's when the SA rule will cease to apply. Until then, who knows how strictly they'll apply their remaining quarantine and entry rules?

Reply #875930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travellers will also have to have had a current negative Covid test 3 days out before arrival.

Reply #875940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy the road Wildcats

Reply #876152 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That gloating turned out to be a bit premature.

Reply #876200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will see. You might have the first 5 games in rounds 1-3 at home (I expect round 1 opponent too change) but you wont get another home game till late February

Reply #876201 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Wildcats will have to relocate to another city for a large portion of the season that's obvious.

Reply #876203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is also fair to assume if SA open up to NSW/VIC on Nov 23 and they are also open to QLD and Tasmania that the likelihood is Chairman McGowan will close to all those states.

Reply #876205 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's right hence why the Wildcats will have to move to another state like NZB.

Reply #876208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. This is the first schedule change. There will be another before the season starts.

Reply #876210 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think it is also fair to assume if SA open up to NSW/VIC on Nov 23 and they are also open to QLD and Tasmania that the likelihood is Chairman McGowan will close to all those states.
I think it's fair to assume that if you can foresee this, so can the NBL.

Reply #876218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Therefore Kobe it hasn't happened yet so you need to release a schedule based on current restrictions. The probability is it will change after Nov 23.

Reply #876227 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They didn't need to release a schedule at all. If they know they're going to have to throw it out, it's a complete waste of everybody's time to put it together in the first place. They'll have spoken to the various governments about this, they're not complete morons.

Reply #876232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ moving to Melbourne and not Tasmania changed that (just like the blitz). Therefore the main schedule had to change. As of this moment the schedule is correct. But expect it to change when Adelaide open to NSW/VIC as WA will change. Now if that affects QLD and Tasmania that remains to be seen. So you release what is valid now. Even you should understand that.

Reply #876236 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sure, it had to change, but it didn't need to change now. They could just as easily have waited until after the 23rd.

That they went to the effort of putting together a schedule, booking venues, etc. means they have a degree of confidence this schedule will be feasible. If they know they're going to have to redo it in two weeks, they would have just waited.

Reply #876239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the point. No one knows what McGowan is going to do. But it is feasible at the drop of a hat he will drop everyone.

Reply #876241 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If they have no idea what McGowan is going to do, why would they create a fixture and book venues?

Reply #876247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because you need to have a plan. OMG man. You have to schedule for what you know. Doesn't mean WA will do what you predict. But until Nov 23 occurs, possible COVID transmissions occur. SA open to QLD and Tas you have to schedule for what you know now. Again it’s not to hard to comprehend.

Reply #876248 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If one of the things you know now is that things are definitely going to change after a certain date, then no, you don't have to have a plan, and it's in fact a complete waste of time and money to create a plan.

They clearly have confidence this schedule will work given everything we know now, which includes the adjustments on the 23rd.

Reply #876252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not going to waste my time anymore. If you can’t grasp the concept then that’s up to you. But I’m surprised. You can only schedule for what you know. No one knows what McGowan will do when SA open their borders. But on past experience he will shut everyone out. But hey, you know.

Reply #876253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have already changed the schedule once since it's original release so by your thinking they had complete confidence to release a schedule in the first place. Whoops, gee look that changed. I’m sure it will change again. So what a complete waste of time the original schedule was for everyone.

Reply #876255 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Overall the NBL has done a pretty good job of scheduling despite the difficult circumstances last season, from that we normally know that they can roll with the covid punches even if it seems some teams are disadvantaged.

Reply #876258 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They have already changed the schedule once since it's original release so by your thinking they had complete confidence to release a schedule in the first place. Whoops, gee look that changed. I'm sure it will change again.
Of course things could change. But the 23rd is a change that is already known about, and therefore would be planned for.

Reply #876281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the change to SA borders, not what the reaction will be from WA.

Reply #876283 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Again: if you can foresee WA responding to that change, so can the NBL. Jesus Christ, dude.

Reply #876285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like the initial schedule and this first reschedule, you make changes when you know what they are. The NBL press release said as much. They didn't make this change until they new what was happening. But hey you knew this. Oh and I appreciate the flattery but I am not Jesus Christ.

Reply #876288 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754