coach
Years ago

NBL Blitz

Starting Saturday with United vs Breakers.

Predictions? Teams/players to look out for? Where can this be watched/streamed?

Topic #49419 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Peyton Siva has amazing pedigree and it will be interesting to see how he goes in the NBL.
The young Frenchmen Dieng & Besson will be interesting to watch but I imagine they will take a little while to get used to the physicality, especially Dieng who needs to bulk up.

Reply #876383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any news of teams bringing extra squad members

Reply #876384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All imports will struggle early with adjusting to Australian ref calls, even the euro guys.

Looking forward to a bit basketball though.

Reply #876388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really keen to watch some of these games just to get glimpse of some of the Next Stars. Really curious to see how the Euros go because many of them have already played against men, unlike the US high school kids.

Reply #876391 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Neither team will be having extra players each have enough

Reply #876407 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Just in case anyone wants to stream the games through YouTube,

The NBL Blitz games are all live on their official YT Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/nblOfficial/videos?view=2&live_view=502

Reply #876408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you get tickets to the Melbourne games?

Reply #876409 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

YT is For overseas subscribers I think

Reply #876410 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kayo Freebies.

Reply #876411 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@KET

Oh, my bad. I'm not from Australia and Its available.

https://polsy.org.uk/stuff/ytrestrict.cgi?ytid=https%3A%2F%2F www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwAcrpAJQ190&auth=95bf24c87030b947ead6a2381f5089b4

Based on this site, Australia is blocked, but just in case you want to watch from YT instead of Kayo, a VPN would suffice.

Reply #876412 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm guessing we are going to get the usual preseason type coverage commentary, graphics and auto camera wise?

I find it hard to watch. I guess too expensive to bother to do it properly

Reply #876417 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@KET

There are a lot of reliable and free VPNs nowadays, in case you don't want to pay. The free service from Proton is pretty good and has no data limit. The VeePN extension is also reliable, and has no data limit as well. I used these to access Geo blocked content from FIBA's YT Channel, through this I watched the U19 World Cup, ACQ and the OQT.

Reply #876424 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm in Australia, I can watch Kayo, I’m just complaining about how they cover preseason games quality wise.

Although better than nothing, ofcourse.

Reply #876425 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Stream isn't working damn

Reply #876454 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Stream in YT is looking good in my end, 1080p60 hehe.

Reply #876455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Started late but been ok since.

Reply #876463 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kayo keeps starting the streams late.

How hard is it to get it right?

Reply #876513 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No scorebug and no commentary

Fantastic

Reply #876517 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Can't even put a commentary on it.

Reply #876518 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You get what you pay for.

Reply #876519 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Looks like Adelaide aren't playing their imports plus IH today

Reply #876520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kayo keeps starting the streams late."
Umm, the Adel / Cairns game started late FFS.

Reply #876529 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Umm, the Adel / Cairns game started late FFS."

The stream on Kayo started a couple of mins into the first quarter. The stream started AFTER the game had.

The game yesterday started 4mins into the first quarter.

FFS.

Reply #876530 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Who is coaching United for the Blitz?

Reply #876628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The game yesterday started 4mins into the first quarter." Tell someone who cares FFS. Ask for your money back!

Reply #876639 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Rules:You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments"

Anon, read the terms of use please.

If you want to be a dick, go somewhere else :)

Reply #876642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Changing coaches in Cairns is like swapping deck chairs on the titanic. There is no way that roster can make the minimum salary cap. Jawai was a very good player, his time has gone though. Zimmerman, Deng and Khol have looked ok, Machardo quiet, the rest not up to it. Noi an nba prospect, in his dreams.
Commentary keep saying it's a sell out, since seats are free, I’m not certain what they have sold.

Reply #876707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The choice of Dufemier who was at Cairns or Kenny and Cairns take Kenny tells you a lot. The choice of a local in Dufelmier or Weeks and JJs take Weeks tell you a lot.
Both teams are horrid.

Reply #876716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns for spoon, get money on it.

Reply #876717 | Report this post

Just a Fan  
Years ago

#716 not sure how both teams passed up on him...

Reply #876719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Russian NS is a serious bust.

Reply #876747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ down 14 nil early to trail by 4 at halftime. Sydney so deep, certainly go into season as favourites. Very decent game compared to previous game in the blitz.
There may be a salary cap of sorts but some teams certainly look a lot stronger than others. Sydney side must be a very highly paid roster.

Reply #876844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like we may need another expansion team soon, lots of guys won't get a chance in regular season + overseas n college locals returning.

Nz 2, flavell coach

Reply #876846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quality game for a preseason hit out. Kings fast pace up tempo game looks exciting. Jaylen Adams looks legit. Great to see Angus Glover up and running.

Reply #876850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns bring in Pinder and vadonavic will end up at end kings bench, Bruce as well, forde should have chased both these players.

Glover, Delaney, WMW looking great.

Reply #876852 | Report this post

Just a Fan  
Years ago

Glad glover is looking good, but sydney are way to cocky and they have now paid the price this game. Doesn't surprise me that there attitude isnt good considering the recent behaviour from people involved in the club on twitter

Reply #876854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers win by 4. Both sides look very good. Getting time for all kings players that expect time going to be tough. Very good game.

Reply #876855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes using the word cocky is a bit respectful actually, total tossers is more to the point. They will be tough this season though.

Reply #876856 | Report this post

Just a Fan  
Years ago

#856 perfectly said, cocky and tough do represent them, will see if they can back up there talk

Reply #876858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane with a 10 point win. The china man was quite useful and huge. Next star was was better than good. Perth just going through the motions at present.

Reply #876940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has a name and it's, Chuanxing Liu. If it was too hard to type, then look it up. If you want to mirror your own reference to Tom Digbeu and be technical about it, then you could have referred to him as a 'Special Restricted Player’.

Casual racists like you, are pathetic. Yes, I really am calling you out on this. Hope you’re informed for next time.

Reply #876948 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nationality doesn't necessarily mean race.

You wouldn’t say "American" because it’s unhelpful when there’s multiple Americans.

You wouldn’t say “Australian” because ~80% are Aussie.

If it’s the NBA and someone referred to say, Landale as “the Australian”, people wouldn’t respond like you did. It’d be a reasonable way to refer to him being the only Aussie spur.

Technically not racist, implicitly not racist.

Dumb post is dumb post - doesn’t help to take down actual racism by calling everything racist.

Reply #876949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm certainly not racist, yes I probably could’ve looked up their names but wasn’t bothered, at least you new who I was talking about. Have a pleasant evening.

Reply #876951 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

then you could have referred to him as a 'Special Restricted Player'.

He's just a development player not even on the 11 man roster. DP's can only play in home games not away games unless filling in for an unavailable player from the roster.

Reply #876952 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

LT played the whole season. 13 players can play from each team home or away

Reply #876953 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I expected next to nothing from Big Lui based on his CBA stats and highlights, he looked slow, flat footed, and clumsy. But I don't know whether it's been the coaching, or if he's done some agility work, but Big Lui looks actually legit. He could upgrade the entire trajectory of his career with a good seasom here. He has far more tools and ability than I think any of us gave him credit for coming in. Still work to do of course but he's someone to watch.

Reply #876954 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@ME

I agree, and that's coming from someone who follows Asian basketball pretty well. I didn't see anything great from him in the ACQ/OQT, but he really did well today. What I liked the most was seeing how vocal he was in the game, screaming like a PG and showing some sort of leadership, which I had not seen from him before. He also did the dirty work. Big Liu is looking like a contributor. Hopefully, more good things from him. Just need to stay consistent.

Reply #876956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@KET

You've missed the point. If you think the term "China man" (or a variation of) isn’t derogative then you’re another one to add to the uniformed list.

Get informed.

Anon (of BIPOC background)

Reply #876959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible seeing all the comments a month ago,about Liu before he even played a game.

Reply #876962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Liu played great. His sheer size is going to be a problem in this league. Tom Digbeu has been the best next star so far, looks like a sure draft pick.

Reply #876964 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" You've missed the point."

You've made no point, there’s nothing derogatory about using the nationality to identify someone.

Reply #876967 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"chinaman" as a phrase has negative connotations because of how it's been used historically for a bunch of negative reasons. It's not the same as saying "Chinese person" and maybe you weren't aware of that, fair enough. Now you are.

Reply #876968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@KET

The point is you think because it alludes to nationality it's not derogatory. Just Google "Chinaman" and see what you come up with.

If you’re adamant about this, and see no wrong, then I’ve got nothing more to say other than for you to get informed. This is why we still have a problem with these issues.

Reply #876969 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"You've missed the point. If you think the term "China man" (or a variation of) isn't derogative then you’re another one to add to the uniformed list.

Get informed."

Here comes the browbeating over a term that wasn't even meant to be offensive. "China man" "Chinese man" "Man from China" "A male from the Chinese landmass" "A person from the province of China with unspecified gender"

In the end, who cares? We all kmow the point he was trying to get across and anyone choosing to be offended by it on behalf of someone else needs to find new priorities in life.

The point being, Big Lui can kind of ball and I think the Bullets may end up regretting not giving him a full roster spot.

Reply #876981 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"You've missed the point. If you think the term "China man" (or a variation of) isn't derogative then you’re another one to add to the uniformed list.

Get informed."

Here comes the browbeating over a term that wasn't even meant to be offensive. "China man" "Chinese man" "Man from China" "A male from the Chinese landmass" "A person from the province of China with unspecified gender"

In the end, who cares? We all kmow the point he was trying to get across and anyone choosing to be offended by it on behalf of someone else needs to find new priorities in life.

The point being, Big Lui can kind of ball and I think the Bullets may end up regretting not giving him a full roster spot.

Reply #876982 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They could quite easily at any point remove one of their players from the roster and elevate Big Liu though. There's a couple of spuds on that Bullets roster so might very well happen.

Reply #876983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#969 you are the only one who has an issue with it. Jog on Mr change culture.

Reply #876984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wigness sadly is not NBL quality. Makes so many bonehead plays for a point gaurd.

Reply #876985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dieng showing what he can do. So versatile, very obvious to see why he is rated as a lottery pick. Hugo Besson not too shabby, put Zhou Qi on a poster.

Reply #877007 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Holy shit! What a finish!

Reply #877012 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

The silver lining with Abercrombie being injured: Ousmane Dieng has to start at the 3, and the court-time will help his draft stock.

Reply #877014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great finish, it's going a very cut throat competition. Winning at home will be crucial.

Reply #877017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a finish. Cut throat competition. Only bad teams are Cairns and probably Tassie.

Reply #877018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reach looking very good, clearly the winner over JLA. Hawks certainly look deep and balanced, Melbourne not so much.

Reply #877031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane and Adelaide are both terrible. It's a case of who will be bottom out of those 4.

Reply #877037 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

So apparently we play Perth twice in the Blitz, then 3 times in the first 6 rounds. 5 times in our first 13 games of the pre/season. Who is in charge of this schedule? Makes no sense.

Reply #877142 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Second time doesn't count for the Blitz.

Organised by both clubs just as a preseason match I believe.

Three times first six rounds is to do with the two conferences situation due to dirty and clean states.

Reply #877145 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Brisbane and Adelaide are both terrible. It's a case of who will be bottom out of those 4."

You're not a mathematician, are you?

Reply #877156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously no interest in the Wildcats vs Taipans game yesterday!

Reply #877160 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I actually don't think Brisbane are terrible. I think they'll be in the group of teams fighting for playoff spots. I don't think much of Cairns at the moment, and I am going to go against all tradition and say Perth don't look particularly good either without a third import option (bench is underwhelming). Adelaide might be winning at the moment but I don't find them convincing at all. Best teams at this point appear to be Sydney, NZ Breakers, Illawarra, Phoenix, and I actually feel like Melbourne is starting to show some signs. Brisbane is in the mix. And you'd expect Tasmania to be out of playoff talk but if the Will Magnay we saw yesterday is anythikng like the Magnay we'll get in this season, he will be up there in MVP votes and might will them to competitiveness

Reply #877165 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

The issue for Magnay is that this year there are a number of centres who will have an impact.

Reath, Frolings x 2 (and even Gak),
Humphries and Sotto,
Chuanxing Liu and Harrison,
Zimmerman and Jawai,
Jo Lual-Acuil and Hukporti,
Wetzell and Loe,
Hodgson and Majok,
Qi and Pineau,
Hunter and Maker.
and Magnay and (Solo). (If we add his back-up, Perry, to the list, we also need to include the other (lesser) back-ups.)

All will have to have to impress if their teams are to succeed.

Reply #877167 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am going to go against all tradition and say Perth don't look particularly good either without a third import option (bench is underwhelming).

There is nothing wrong with saying the Wildcats don't look good.

Which one of the following 3 players are not the third import?

- Vic Law
- Michael Frazier.
- Some guy called Bryce Cotton.

Reply #877171 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We have all talked ourselves into Cotton being Aussie obviously

Reply #877178 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Okay, three imports. lol. Anyway their bench is ass and I don't really think they're playoff bound. I know it's Perth, and Perth have history. But they've also got a new coach. Let's not downplay the worth of Trevor Gleeson.

Reply #877188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes for the first time in years Perth are vulnerable and yes it's because of no Gleeson.

Reply #877193 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cotton's citizenship is really dragging on now, isn't it?

Reply #877206 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Broekhoff played 14 and a half minutes against NZ for 1 point, 2 rebounds and an assist.
Not really inspiring numbers for a guy who was playing in the league a couple of seasons ago.
Hopefully he can get going in the regular season.

Reply #877216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns leading by five at the half. No Djeric could possibly hel p cairns ::)), Jawai not playing as well. Patterson only ten minutes and it shows. Mcall looking fantastic for Cairns. Cairns are probably spoon bound but if he doesn't play his spuds and run a seven, eight man roster could surprise on there night.

Reply #877299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The two former Sydney assistant coaches against each other goes to Brisbane by 8. Sobey and Patterson even more so looking great. Big Harrison moves on every screen and gets away with it, big Lou again showing some good things.
Cairns starting to improve, forde imo just gets his subs so wrong, thought same last year in Sydney, McCall basically sat on bench for last quarter and came on with 21 seconds to play, game was done, thought pinder looked ok as well. It's not under 12, play your better players, machado got stop jacking threes up as well, set up other players to score.
Reasonable game, both sides will have to crank up the defence to win consistently.

Reply #877302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde will be lucky to survive the season. Most likely is safe as Cairns don't have the money to pay him out etc.

Reply #877303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde coached alright, his subbing and playing some of their bottom end players to long costs him. Preseason so it'll be interesting.

Reply #877305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth b 10 , scrappy game and Perth just not looking that fluent at present. Majok looking good, Hodgson still not a smart player. Perry might be seven foot but defensively can't mark a sao. JJs got some mediocre players, Magnay looking very reasonable, McDaniel not bad, imports ok, just don’t see to much else there.

Reply #877306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3/4 time Perth by 17, Cotton starting to look like the real unstoppable Cotton, McDaniel ok for JJs. JJs don't seem to have much happening at either end.

Reply #877307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

30 points win to cats, I'm not certain if it’s coaching or team selections but cats have dp players better than JJs list players. Zunics looks a talent. Cotton, Law, will keep Perth certainly in finals contention. JJs got finals contention only in minds, 3/4 players just not nbl level.

Wagstaff given flop fouls, must be new rules as never happened in previous ten seasons. :::)))))

Reply #877310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl hurt during that game, but they were never going to win it. (JJ's)

Reply #877365 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:53 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754