Anonymous
Years ago

NBL players to play in NBA next season

Thoughts on which NBL players might have a good chance of making the leap to the NBA next year?

More than likely:

O Dieng — promising glimpses so far, and his development off the court will play an impact in how high he goes in the draft.

J Jessup — solid first preseason game, looks like he means business. I suspect he'll take the path Didi took except will go further. He’s at a great spot at the Hawks to be impactful on a contender.

Names in the hat:

M King — will be favoured by Giddey’s path, so a really solid season could see him a late second rounder or an undrafted signing. Preseason so far suggests CJ will give him run.

H Besson — not sure how NZ will use him, but hard to see what his ceiling can be at this stage. A beneficiary because scouts will be watching Dieng anyway.

Wildcards:

L Travers — NBL and Travers are bullish on him, but he’d need a Giddey-like season and some extra sauce, to be considered on the draft boards. I don’t think anybody knows about him.

M Delly — if he has a Bogut-esque impact at United, can see a NBA contender bring him in for the tail end of this season. Big if.

T Digbeu — a somewhat unknown. Athletic 3 & D’s are super valuable in the NBA so he has the physical tools, but unsure how he’ll be used at Brisbane. Could see a Brian Bowen like path, but can also see him being surprise and getting drafted late.

Omitted some popular/big names of course, but that’s my take!

Topic #49442 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kai Sotto will win the Rookie of the Year and get selected in the top 10 Giddey style.

Reply #876782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And here come the Filipinos

Reply #876784 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@OP

Zhou Qi is a wildcard for me. A good injury-free season might be enough for a NBA callup. 

Reply #876797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Acuil to get picked up.

Reply #876798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Acuil to go to nba and be put on the boomers list for asia cup.

Reply #876799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does JLA need to do to get a contract (not a 10-day etc)? Similar to Landale or more? Because I can't see Melbourne contending.

Reply #876800 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

You can't help but think that with the success of Cam Oliver and Jae' Sean Tate that there could be players that we have overlooked and they could make their way to the NBA... I think Machado is an amazing player and leader and if he has his best season in Australia then maybe an NBA team will see his worth too

Reply #876801 | Report this post

Years ago

Sam Froling as well if he has another big season like last. Still only 21.

Reply #876802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam was owned by qi, no way he makes the nba

Reply #876803 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

I am a Duop Reath believer

Reply #876804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second Duop Reath. Didn't get much time at the Olympics, but he balled out in Vegas and he’s an Olympic Bronze medalist nonetheless. Definitely see him making the jump ala Landale style.

Reply #876816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't get minutes in europe.

Reply #876817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, back bench player in Europe. It looks like he shrunk a bit as well.

Reply #876823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

iam adding Xavier Cooks

Reply #876865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of coaches. Would Goorjian have a chance for a head coach role off the back of a Olympic Bronze medal? I know it's rare (impossible?) for HC positions come from outside the league. The pathway is typically as an Assistant, followed by former player, or combination of the two.

Reply #876928 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@928

It really depends on the NBA organization. Even Zeljko Obradovic, who is considered one of the most brilliant coaches in the world (some even consider him the GOAT, personally I think he is), could not secure an NBA gig (closest was in the early 10s or late 00s with the Pistons). 

It is also terribly difficult to build a culture in the NBA because it is pretty star-heavy in there compared to other leagues (Always catering to players). A good example is David Blatt, a well-respected and successful Euro league championship coach who was booted out because of Lebron.

The safest bet would be the assistant path. 

Reply #876929 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Goorjian being American would immediately command more respect from an NBA front office and from the players than a European coach would along with his seniority but at the end of the day he's never coached in the NBA before and there would be serious question marks over whether he could handle coaching in a player run league which makes the NBA unique to all other leagues in the world and whether he would be able to command the respect of the players too.

David Blatt really struggled with that, it shouldn't be that way but it is and the NBA will never go back to normalcy.

Reply #876931 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Zodiac

Wow, I didn't know that Goorjan was part American. Blatt was also part American, so it really depends on the situation. If, hypothetically, Goorjan were hired immediately for a head coaching position, it would be best in a rebuilding situation (OKC) than with the Lakers or the Nets. 

Anyway, players in the NBA are really different, especially with egos and all. It's ironic that outside of the NBA, generally players defer to the coach, whereas most coaches must somewhat defer to the player in the NBA.

Goorjan, in the end, is a very well-respected international coach. His legacy is secured, especially with an Olympic medal. 

Reply #876933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say small market NBA teams do in fact build culture, namely San Antonio and more recently Utah. @Stevy while yes the NBA is a challenging player-run league, there are (small market) NBA teams which are less so.

On Goorjian, I’m quite bullish on him succeeding in the NBA, but he might be better off taking the AC path to acclimate to the league, before interviewing for openings the year after. I see Goorjian doing well in a small market — where the coach is just as loved as the players.

Finally, I’d take it further and say it’s an owner-run league where it can be ruthless for the players.

Reply #876939 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@939

Hopefully, he gets there. His resume is more than enough for a head coaching position in a top European team (Fenerbache is the team I would want him to run especially with how bad they are starting right now).

Unfortunately the NBA is not as enamored based on what Kokoskov, Messina, etc went through. Plus the politics of some teams (lebron teams, etc). I agree, small market team like OKC, Pistons would be ideal for Goorjan.

To build that culture that teams like the Spurs, Heat have. NBA is run by the owner but players nowadays has more pull than ever, just look at Ben, Kyrie or LeGM. Well, I don't blame them, money talks after all.

Reply #876955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale was also a bench player in Europe so chill on the Reath slander #823

The issue with Goorijan imo will more so be that of a culture thing. You can blame players all you want but if from the owner, to the gm, to the coach, you establish a good culture, then it won't matter what the players think or act. So for him it would be best to go to a team with said culture. I also think his offence is quite simplistic, something which if you don’t have a superstar in the nba can get you killed as if your telling world class athletes that can tell what you’re telling them isn’t any good, then that creates a rift. I’m also curious as just from personality and age standpoint, would he be willing or even capable to be an assistant first.

Delly’s nba days imo are over. How many teams are going to be looking for a point guard who can’t shoot who’s 31. Unless a team is destroyed by injuries doesn’t look to Europe or their own g league program, then he ain’t going over. People also need to remember the only reason Bogut went back was because the Warriors 5 man depth at the time was no good in general plus they had Cousins and I think maybe 1 or both of Looney and Jones out too. So Bogut was more of get the team through to the playoffs guy and it was helpful as he’d already been there and knew the system. It also wasn’t like he was that good either as by the finals Kerr refused to put him on.

Reply #876958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the not doing well in Europe so he will suck in the NBA reasoning really still stack up? They play a different style of game completely. There's a reason why Lamelo Ball came here to showcase himself compared to staying in Europe.

Reply #877196 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754