Anonymous
Years ago

Best female coaches in Victoria?

Which Victorian association has the best female coaches and/or best female program?

Topic #49463 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not sure of the answer, but I am surprised by so many girls teams being coached by men, and the lack of female coaches coaching boys in VJBL.

Reply #877275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hard to get / attract / retain female basketball coaches!

Frankston make a concerted effort to have female coaches coaching their female junior teams. However, to be honest, many are not up to the standard of VJBL just yet and need more experience at domestic level first.

Ultimately you want your kids coached by the best possible coach available - male or female.

As for female talent/program, there are a number of clubs that are always near the top across all age groups. The VJBL pre-season rankings give a very good idea where programs are at and have been across the last 2 years (even though they were COVID disrupted).

Reply #877277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe if you search the club coaching appointments. See how many of the 1st team are female (from junior to senior) and that will give you a good indication of how important the female program is to the club.

Reply #877287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ What a load of crap.

You put your best coaches that have applied and want to coach in place of teams - not someone because of their gender.

Reply #877288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#288 yeah nah. Stay in 1952 thanks.
Poor female representation in coaching is one of the reason girls numbers drop in ball

Reply #877291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above: I agree with you about drop out rates and it a lack of female representation is definitely one reason contributing to it, but not the only one! However putting in female coaches in place, especially in the 1 teams, when they are not the best or most qualified and experienced person for the role is just stupid.

A club providing a pathway and opportunities for female coaches coming through the ranks get an opportunity to develop, have mentors and gain experience is what is required! However just putting a female coach in a 1's team over a more qualified and experienced male coach is dumb and will also result in that said club eventually turning over players.

Reply #877292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

291 the irony of you saying someone else is in the past is lost on you, I'm sure.

As the mother of a daughter I want the best coach available for her, regardless of gender. I do not want a female coach just to meet some silly gender quota, which to be honest is an outdated concept and an insult to women.

In trying to defend women you have inadvertently insulted us all.

288 is firmly in the 21st century, where the best person gets the job. You on the other hand, are not.

Reply #877293 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

By all means have the best coaches with the best teams PROVIDED all coaches - regardless of gender - are given opportunities to show their abilities, and all are evaluated objectively against the same benchmarks.

I know a few clubs where the old boys network rules, sadly, which goes against both my points.

Reply #877294 | Report this post

Relax Coach  
Years ago

To the original post,
Best female program, best female coaches, quite difficult to say on the short-term.

over the longer term you could look at the number of girls teams that have won Victorian championships.

You could also assess it by looking at the number of teams that have more than one team in the top two divisions.

You could also assess it by looking at the number of girls teams which have a head coach that is female.

And all the results could be different. so you might need to put some comparative ranking in place.

There are obviously some excellent female coaches coaching across many clubs in the VJBL.

And sometimes a male coach can be very good for a girls team.

Personally I would like to see more females coach however gender should never be a selection criteria nor should they have a gender target or quota.

Are you asking because you want to coach or are you asking because you have a daughter that you want to have good coaching.

Reply #877295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Show me a study of girls who have dropped out of sport which states that having male not female coaches was the reason before making claims.

Until then its just your opinion not facts. As a parent I too would want the best coach for my daughter or son.

How many team managers are mums not dads? Do we need to balance that out? Of course not, the best parent, willing and able is the best manager.

Reply #877296 | Report this post

Relax Coach  
Years ago

Of the top of my head if I had to pick a girls program Nunawading, Bulleen, Melbourne, Diamond Valley, Dandenong, Knox of them have had traditionally quite strong girls programs over the longer time frame.

I might be incorrect but I think Bulleen may have won the most Victorian championships

Reply #877297 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Selecting the coach because they won the most championships is not necessarily the answer as well because some associations poach players from other associations to make a stacked team to win the the championship with so it is not always the coach who did the job when you have the best players in the team and the other associations have been depleted.

Reply #877304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerryn must be post #291

Reply #877315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best associations in south east?
Casey? Frankston? Chelsea?

Reply #877396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easily Frankston, then Casey. Chelsea not even in the conversation

Reply #877416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern peninsula? Mornington?

Reply #877422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both slightly ahead of Chelsea

Reply #877444 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754