Dave Q
Years ago

Kings to play on Christmas Day?

Interesting idea. Don't mind it at all to be honest.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-want-to-be-first-sports-team-to-play-on-christmas-day-20211123-p59bfl.html#comments

"The Sydney Kings want to become the first Australian sporting franchise to stage a fixture on Christmas Day.

There has been a long tradition of sporting events being held on Boxing Day, most notably the Melbourne cricket Test and the Sydney-to-Hobart yacht race. However, December 25 remains a day on the calendar that still remains free of sporting activity.

The Kings, however, want to change that. They will host Melbourne United at Qudos Bank Arena this Boxing Day in what they hope will be a precursor to finally staging the country's first Christmas Day clash the following season.

"It’s one of the last bits of uncharted territory in Australian sport," Kings chairman and owner Paul Smith told the Herald. “We really want to do it, we’d love to do it.""

Topic #49467 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck getting it past the players union etc

Reply #877324 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Would it be so bad if it was Kings v Hawks early arvo so that the players can enjoy Christmas dinner with family?

Boxing Day United v Phoenix, then you don't have any interstate travel on Christmas...

Reply #877325 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah I like the idea of an annual Hawks-Kings daytime Xmas game, but if I were a player I probably wouldn't love it. It's an interesting idea to float, not sure anything comes of it.

Reply #877326 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Interesting issue, KET - how many have their big Christmas meal in the early arvo rather than at night? Most people I know have theirs starting around 1 - 2 pm.

So who do you think they're targeting as an audience if they think they can get enough through the turnstiles on the day?

Reply #877328 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah there are lots of factors to think about.

It'd be interesting what the crowd numbers comparison would be Christmas arvo vs evening, and what the tv numbers would be.

I think arvo would have more people watching as background TV during family events; evening maybe better crowds if they’re willing to have shorter family lunch followed by bball (would be tiring).

AFL on Easter Sunday arvo is a thing, I guess this is treated similarly.

If you’re a player you’re probably not going to do a family event like a lunch before the game, but a family dinner after perhaps they might.

Reply #877330 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

It could work something like this, as you want to give players the best opportunity to celebrate Xmas same day with their families, early on or later:

11.00 AEST Kings v Hawks
1pm AEST (10am AWST) Wildcats v 36ers - team can fly back home immediately
3pm AEST United v Phoenix
5pm AEST (4pm Qld) Bullets v Taipans - team can fly back home immediately
*JJ and Breakers you can incorporate in coming years

This allows families to open presents in morning, then attend games. Or go after lunch and still make it time for dinner.

Practically speaking the hurdles would be convincing players to give up part of their Xmas and I would imagine the wages cost would be horrendous getting staff to work on Xmas Day. And food and drink concessions would probably be down the normal revenue.

But the NBL would be a trailblazer and they could piggyback promo off the NBA Xmas Day games the next day.

Imagine 48 hours of NBLxNBA Xmas games .. and the cricket on the TV somewhere in the background.

Down the track if they play these games in the evening you could double the publicity with having the games as open air.

All this being said I'm not confident that Xmas Day NBL will be a thing anytime soon.

Reply #877332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have obviously never looked at the Qantas flight schedule for any of those proposed flights home. Nor the time difference for say Adelaide getting on a 5pm flight to land in Adelaide at 11pm Christmas night.

Reply #877333 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Over zealous indeed

AFL people will watch regardless of teams, especially if there are two powerhouses playing, and they'll almost watch regardless of time.

NBL, aside from a small group of cult followers, I’d largely people will watch if their local side is playing and if it’s convenient.

Families will go for something to do, young professionals might decide to go after work on occasion - that kind of thing.

With that in mind, any way the NBL can take advantage of that summer period where most people are on their break, the better.

Christmas Day you might get people flicking the tv on after lunch and having a beer and watching while chatting to family, weeknights where kids and adults are home instead of school and work is a good time to have games in the evening to go to.

Big bash covered that kind of territory with a game each night until they messed with it in every conceivable way.

In the 12-14 day Christmas/NY period, if the NBL had 20 games, it’s not a ridiculous amount, and if each team can play 2 home games/2 away games, I’d imagine that’s a good way to really take advantage of crowd opportunities and TV numbers.

There’s no reason to make excessive travel during that period ie better to have a sunshine swing, NSW double, Vic double if you’re a Perth/Adelaide; have local derbies played in this period as well ie Kings v Hawks Christmas, United v Phoenix for Boxing Day.

Reply #877337 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think its worth a try. If its literally the only sport on for the day it could definitely get some people who just wanna watch something. As some others have mentioned I would make it local clubs only though rather than interstate flights.

The issue is probably going to be crowds. Turning on your TV while relaxing after a big meal and a few drinks is one thing, but the harder sell is gonna be people going to the venue.

On one hand you can say we dont have the culture of doing anything on christmas day, but on the other hand, we've never had the option. Nothing ever used to happen on good friday either.

Worth a shot

Reply #877339 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Everything above makes sense, the pros and cons posted are all fairly good summary.

IMO, Cram's statement,
"On one hand you can say we don't have the culture of doing anything on Christmas day, but on the other hand, we've never had the option.....", almost sums it up for me.

Except that we do have a Christmas day culture. If at all possible, it's spent with the family. I am not saying "hip hooray" for a family day, just saying you'd better be on death's door to miss Xmas with the Fam!

Younger families have to visit 2 sets of parents/grandparents. Getting/giving presents, stuffing faces, getting pissed at the first visit, wiped out at the second. Basketball on the way home?
The older family have to host 2 sets of children/grandchildren. Getting/giving presents, more stuffing of faces, getting pissed at the first visit, wiped out at the second.

That's the catch!

Reply #877343 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Interesting issue, KET - how many have their big Christmas meal in the early arvo rather than at night? Most people I know have theirs starting around 1 - 2 pm.

Christmas Eve dinner for me.

Reply #877345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't Melbourne, New Zealand (ignore the fact they're stuck in Australia) and Cairns be traveling on Christmas day and missing Christmas dinner this season anyway?

Best stick to local derbies though.

Reply #877376 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Except that we do have a Christmas day culture. If at all possible, it's spent with the family."

Sorry, to clarify when i said " we don't have the culture of doing anything on Christmas day" I meant in terms of going to public events or going "out". We definitely go to big family gatherings - and like was mentioned above, often more than one.

Reply #877385 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

Terrible idea. This is not America?

No need for Christmas games when people are away with family.

Reply #877477 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754