cavolo
Years ago

Josh Giddey's Performance To Date

What are your thoughts on Josh's development, progress and performance to date? I've been able to watch a few games in full, but mainly his 2-3min highlight packages following each game.

My take thus far is that he is growing from game to game in confidence, scoring output with SGA injured, and embracing important or clutch moments in the game. Usually in the right place at the right time, and as a true PG, always wanting to make the right pass to set up a team mate.

Shooting clip's aren't stellar, but overall, he's nudging triple double territory more games than not, and I don't think it will be long until he hits his first and many more to come. So many assist potentials with his young team mates around him just not finishing or hitting shots.

Averages to date: 10.3pts, 7.3rbs, 5.7asts, 1.0stls, 2.5tos.

Topic #49469 | Report this topic

RobT  
Years ago

Have not had the pleasure of seeing his games but been following daily ranking up-dates on hashtag for rookies. Early games, he was ranking 2nd and 3rd. Since then, he has hovered between 4th and 5th.

Reply #877349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will fail in the NBA. Operated.

Reply #877350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's tracking ahead of schedule definitely, and today and had a good game but he needs to work on his handle and decision making still as he’s turnover prone (6 today). Not the best in his class, but that’s ok too.

Reply #877352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is one of 3 players to have 100 assists and 100 rebounds in his first 20 games. Fair resume to date

Reply #877354 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

He will fail in the NBA. Operated.

I suspect he will do better than this English.

Reply #877356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overrated

Reply #877359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One word imo.

Outstanding!

Reply #877363 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I just like the fact that he does not look out of place at the level. I think he is way ahead of expectations so far.

Reply #877367 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Years ago

He is 19 years old. Going great.

Reply #877369 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

i reckon the best thing about his current situation is that Oklahoma are fine for him to go out and make mistakes to learn and grow.
Most franchises would not be comfortable with one of their players leading the NBA in turnovers especially their latest draft pick, but OK City are fine with it, they have not cut his minutes, or his role, they are clearly planning for the long term.

Reply #877370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In the Thunder's 110-104 loss to Western Conference heavyweights Utah Jazz, Giddey bagged 19 points, seven rebounds and a team-leading eight assists to make him join Ball and James as the only teenagers in NBA history to reach 100 assists and 100 rebounds in their first 20 games.

Reply #877372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 3 in the Rookie of the Year race (Mobley
Barnes, Giddey). Easily the best passer in the draft. Would be averaging 10+ assists if he had a lob threat and decent shooters around him.

Reply #877373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey rebounds like Rodman and passes like Stockton.

Reply #877374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love him, but hate to say that he's already falled in to the NBA mould of playing one end of the court only. Defence is turrible.

Reply #877379 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Top 3 in the Rookie of the Year race (Mobley, Barnes, Giddey).

Where's that from, @Anon?

Mobley is also in top spot on hashtag. Only thing is that they (hashtag)show him as injured so not having any bad, or even mediocre performances to affect his standing. Injury could be a blessing in disguise for Mobley. For a little while, anyway!

Reply #877380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He currently 4th

Behind

Mobley
Barnes
Cunningham

Reply #877382 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Hes doing extremely well, looks poised already and not panicked. I've noticed his turnovers and also blocks against are quite high which is to be expected against more length in passing lanes etc. As he adjusts and develops his scoring game that will naturally improve.

It's going to be interesting to see what level of scorer he can get to in the NBA over the next few years

Reply #877383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I can say is:

Operated.

Reply #877386 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Giddey sure is a smooth operator, $877350. You're bang on mate.

Reply #877388 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"Have not had the pleasure of seeing his games but been following daily ranking up-dates on hashtag for rookies. Early games, he was ranking 2nd and 3rd. Since then, he has hovered between 4th and 5th."

Top 2 has always been Mobley and Barnes. He was third while Cade wasn't playing/started slow. Cade has probably caught him by now, but Giddey is tracking very nicely. Duarte rounds out the top 5.

Reply #877389 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

The lad is going pretty well thus far, OKC seems the perfect landing spot for him. Look at Josh Green, 2nd season and still a whole bunch of DNP's.

He obvioulsy has some pretty serious clout - all I see on the socials is his clips, stats, and how he is the next big thing. Multiple posts from multiple sources daily. His team are really giving it some.

Reply #877402 | Report this post

I think he's exceeded expectations, definitely my own at least. He looks pretty comfortable out there and is putting up reasonable numbers and making highlight plays with his court vision and passing. It augers well for the Boomers squad moving forward. He'll only get better given the experience and court time he's getting.

Reply #877406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had him down for 11-6-6-1 if he played 30 minutes before the season.

Reply #877409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey is on the up trend

Reply #877426 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Most franchises would not be comfortable with one of their players leading the NBA in turnovers... "

He's 28th in the league in turnovers, only slightly more than SGA, while taking more ball handling responsibilities and being more adventurous in threading passes to his teammates. There are two lottery picks that average more turnovers than him. His assist:turnover ratio is still over 2:1, so it's not like he's a turnover machine. His coach has commented that he has never scolded Giddey for his turnovers, and for good reason really. For someone as talented at passing, it's worth letting him remain adventurous and discover his own boundaries.

I've watched all of his games and felt like his confidence fell as he went from pre-season to regular season, but it still remains high. He continues to attempt some wild spin moves. He remains confident with his jump shot despite his poor shooting clip. I'd say he seems too willing to put shots from range given his shooting clip right now, but I assume he's been given the green light with OKC understanding how important it would be for his 3-point shot to become a weapon.

Reply #877486 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Josh finds himself in the perfect place with OKC to do what he does best and learn from his mistakes. I think he's exceeded expectations at this point. He's 19 years old, and he's going to make some mistakes, but he's also shown flashes of an incredibly high basketball IQ and he's only going to get better. Only an absolute moron could think he's overrated or "failed in the NBA". He'll have a 10-15 year NBA career if he wants it.

Reply #877623 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754