Anonymous
Years ago

Summer Break - SA District

Just wondering how clubs are planning to use the spare time that would normally be Summer Season.

Sturt are running a series of internal trials (mainly aimed at determining squad placements) and have organised some trial games with other clubs before Christmas.

As a parent of a player, I'd prefer a summer season like we did in the past.

What are other clubs doing?

Topic #49484 | Report this topic

Truth  
Years ago

It sounds like most clubs are doing similar - filling the time with some internal trainings/games and then some practice matches. Seems like such a waste of time.

Reply #877644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But they're developing. Why would you need games for. In fact I think they should cancel the winter season as well and just train. And charge for it.

Reply #877657 | Report this post

Full stop guy  
Years ago

How can more trainings and dev not be a good thing..

Reply #877658 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

I'm enjoying the lighter workload - ask me when it all finishes what I think then as well. Time will tell what impact it has on standards. I'm a fan of the new changes - all for grading seasons and playing tournament weekends rather than a round robin home and away Summer season.

Reply #877675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kids want to effing play, not go through shell drills and boxing out. And scratch matches is better than nothing, but it's a stupid idea.

Reply #877676 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

With trainings and scratch matches every Friday night. As a parent I don't see much difference in the time commitment than if they were playing a Summer season.

Reply #877683 | Report this post

bcat  
Years ago

I'm a fan of the current model, more opportunities for development can only be a good thing.

Reply #877698 | Report this post

Summer  
Years ago

I think you will find that this is something the ten Adelaide clubs wanted - BSA presented them with a number of options with regard timing of activities (comps, grading, breaks etc) and this is what was the preferred outcome. Hard to please everyone and I am sure there will be some minor adjustments next year hopefully leads to improved quality of grading of players/teams for 2022.

Reply #877699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ That is incorrect. There is no way no state champs and an 8 team final season was ever presented to clubs as part of year end run out of basketball.

Reply #877715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Standard BSA half truths.

Clubs were presented and gave feedback on options. BSA and the Competitions Committee then created another option and released it without any final consultation or feedback.

At the last minute giving 9 clubs no time to plan for the extra workload being put onto them. And the financial implications.

As long as BSA cut their costs, they don't care about the impact on casual staff, Clubs or members.

Reply #877718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. A heap of consultation occured with clubs, then BSA went and released a model no one asked for. The consultation was a big waste of time.

Reply #877720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A model with no detail. Still no information, no calendar, no actual dates, no season information.

More fluff, all at the clubs expense and responsibility.

The most useless peak body in existance.

Reply #877726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the only positive I see if done correctly is the lower division players. Paying same fees as div 1 and 2, but often they don't have coaches unless a parent steps up and is a glorified subber. It should be happening anyway, but club's with JDOs or coaching directors should be putting a lot of work in with them. Probably a few views, but imo the Div 1 coach should really only be responsible for their squad. So this summer program should enable JDOs to pass on knowledge and drills etc to coaches and make sure they understand and are teaching them correctly.
So often Ive seen JDOs wander around on a Sunday having chats and dealing with Karen's, and then go watch the top teams on a Friday night.

Reply #877752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth league and senior preseasons to start 31st of January

Reply #878969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Extended break really seems to have hurt 3 Adelaide clubs with huge clearance numbers which continue to grow and very little if anyone coming in. Have to wonder if those clubs have got their systems right when so many families are choosing to go elsewhere.

Reply #883246 | Report this post

';'  
Two years ago

I know North is one of those Clubs what are the other 2?

Reply #883260 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

Agreed it was only one club

Reply #883280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

How do you know only one club SixersFan, do you work with BSA?

Reply #883285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

(Mod: Legally questionable.)

Reply #883294 | Report this post

-  
Two years ago

it all cycles with peaks and troughs. Not all transfers are on Sportingpulse

Reply #883298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Just looking at clearances published it looks like a majority of them are leaving north with Norwood and Woodville benefitting.

Reply #883299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

294, sure you could ask that question, especially if you were looking to make excuses.

The real question though is what has gone so wrong at North that's caused so many to want to leave? Instead of sitting back making excuses, try actually asking those that have left. I think you'll find a common theme.

Reply #883300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:29 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754