Q&A
Years ago

Does the NBL fine for Social Media Comments?

With night one done and dusted I noticed last night a number of current NBL players retweeting or commenting about Tweets making negative comments about the refereeing.

I assume the NBL like other Leagues will fine coaches for any comments made about the referees in the Media, I'm just curious if they also have a process about player comments as in all 3 cases I saw overnight I believe those players would have to be considered to have done the same.

Does anyone know if this is something the NBL deal with? Bit odd to let that slide.

Topic #49501 | Report this topic

Why not ?  
Years ago

Will NBL follow the AFL when they fined Marc Murphy, Jarrad Waite and Jeremy Laidler for criticising umpires? Or will those tweet not attract any sanctions, because they appeared to be made by players from other teams not involved in the game ?

Reply #878024 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

The NBL has been very sensitive to criticism for years. Expect some heavy response.

If the comments are referring to the Sobey ejection, the ref just called what he saw - Magnay trying to exaggerate the contact with someone who has a history of letting his emotions get the better of him. Hopefully both behaviours will be remembered in future decisions.

I'm not excusing the ref - he’s made many poor decisions in the past - but I’m not sure what other option he had in this case, given that he didn’t have access to a TV replay from different angles like we do.

Reply #878026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The call decided the game, not good enough. Maybe the ref should have had a look at the video at that stage of the game, blow whistle, make no call till reviewed.

Reply #878028 | Report this post

Why not ?  
Years ago

seems at least one player has removed/changed tweet now about the Sobey decision . Guess this can be a learning experience - and if so NBL may just move on

Reply #878033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs are the worst in all of sports the NBL refs are the most protected species and by far the most sensitive. If you go through all the calls and it's clear these refs have a agenda. Do the refs get fines if so show them to us as well. It will only get worse as these refs act like they are the product we tune into see "HAHAHAH" (NBL REFS SUCK!)

Reply #878080 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Another season, another lot of 'refs are betting on games' or ‘refs have an agenda’ contributions. Sigh.

They’re human and occasionally make mistakes, just like normal people. They see black and white and shades of grey in between, probably more so than normal people. Without them, we have no NBL.

Reply #878085 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Calls in basketball tend to be closer than in most other sports.

You're so asking about judgement of contact, based on floor positions and body movements which would be different if they occurred fractions of sections earlier or later, goal tending vs blocked shot based on a few degrees of ascending vs descending ball (what if you could stop a game to determine that the block/goal tend occurred at precisely the ball’s peak height?) and judgement of intent/motive of players for types of fouls, incidental contact not effecting play.
Add game and player management/ communication to that. A tough gig.

Reply #878086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both these guys are refs above (Hahahah) all that bs excuses you refs are no consistent. A blind person could do better no refs no nbl that can be said for everything no players no NBL no coaches no venues LOL

Reply #878092 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

" no refs no nbl that can be said for everything no players no NBL no coaches no venues LOL" Quite right, although I think they can do without coaches a lot more easily than without refs.

If you're saying that I’m a ref - you guessed wrong.

Reply #878094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you not a ref you probably related to one hahahaha

Reply #878207 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

"The call decided the game" - no Sobeys behaviour after the call is what decided the game.

Reply #878414 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Let's be honest, it was a bad call at a critical moment with big consequences.

Reply #878415 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 092

With my username, you could have taken an educated guess that I'm currently a spectator only, and will be for the duration.

Reply #878496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL ticked that bad call off as correct

Reply #878499 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

A lot of the things that people see as evidence of wrongdoing in the world is simply someone doing something poorly. NBL refs are a perfect example. They're not corrupt, just bad.

Reply #878501 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754