Anonymous
Years ago

NZ @ SEM

So this game will be pretty interesting based on the absences.

For NZB, Shamir is out so loud man Maor will coach. Abercrombie is out, and Wetzell is game time due to COVID. Also one more starter could be out tonight too.

For SEM, Thomas is out in quarantine, and Zhou Qi is under an injury cloud.

Is this going to be a five guard vs five guard lineup?

Topic #49502 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

If Wetzell is out NZ will start Loe and Timmins will come off the bench

Reply #878025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest, that one game Timmins got time he looked more menacing than Loe. I wouldn't be surprised if Timmins is this year’s Le’afa and plays himself into the rotation.

Reply #878027 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

Despite the NBL HQ's sensitivity, it probably wouldn’t stop them from using such incidents in promo material.

Reply #878029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loe has been horrible for a few seasons, can't see nz anywhere near good enough.

Reply #878030 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

Ops wrong topic.

Reply #878031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope my Breakers can make it across the line tonight, gonna need a huge shift from the big men with Yanni on the mend.

But there's a reason everyone has the Phoenix in their top 4.

I suspect there will be periods of competitiveness but think the Phoenix will pull away here. Just the better team on paper.

Reply #878035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If SEM are without Qi and Wetzell plays, I think Breakers have the edge.

Reply #878036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Twitter says that Qi is playing and that Wetzell is a game time decision, Wetzell sounds healthy but hasn't played basketball or trained with the team for 2 weeks.

Reply #878037 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wetzell is out

Reply #878048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of horrible, The Crossover.

Lowery is trying to be a Homicide 2.0. Whoever the other two dudes are, they're as interesting as cardboard. Ugh.

Also special shouts to Von Hofe who last night said Brisbane were shaping up as favourites with CJ at the helm in his first game as head coach.

Reply #878049 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

We start with Creek, then move to Dwayne and Homicide.

It's like they're determined to get people not to watch.

Reply #878050 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Qi though love it!

Reply #878052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was hopeful that Homicide wasn't going to commentate in 2021-22... it’s going to be a long season

Reply #878053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know about you guys, but I’m suddenly keen to go play some pickup basketball then order some fast food as soon as the game ends.

Reply #878055 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Years ago

Just tuned, in heard the idiot homocide and tuned out.

Reply #878056 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

With these lineups SEM should win easily

Big Jo handling them inside.

Pineau with 5 boards inside the first 5 minutes showing what SEM missed last year.

Pending a better look at Munford, SEM definitely in my early top 4 prediction alongside Perth.

Plus probably Illawarra who I haven't seen yet. And then someone else.

Reply #878057 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Pineau 7 boards, including 5 O boards in his first 7 minutes

Where are all those people who were saying he wasn't a big out for SEM last year?

Reply #878058 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Interesting game, enjoying the Phoenix game, but it's made excruciating by the poor choice of commentators. I TRIED to tune them out and concentrate on the game but ... as soon as I hear Homicide I have to press the Mute button.

Reply #878059 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

Wow, the Breakers look completely outmatched.
They haven't come ready to play.

Reply #878060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fairness, the COVID in their camp was a massive disruption. Still without Wetzell and Shamir isn't even courtside.

Reply #878062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers can't chuck it in the ocean. I hope it’s because of the disruptive week. There defence is also woeful, Galoway can dunk it but can’t defend a lamp post, Delany and WMW look out of sorts, I’ve seen nothing from the rest either.
SEM look unstoppable at this stage all over court.

Reply #878063 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Getting very ugly for NZ

Loving Munford and Zhou Qi- SEM looks to have added some good pieces

Last year- Big Jock leads United to the title

This year- Big Jo(Zhou) leads SEM to the title? Real chance

Reply #878064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't think it was possible, but the Doordash ad is equally as bad as the infamous First Ever ad with the crying goat.

Reply #878065 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

Peyton Siva better get himself going or he'll be sent home. He’s not been impressive at all

Reply #878066 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Does anyone know the age of the young French guy playing for the Breakers? The commentators have neglected to mention it.

Reply #878068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

breakers are ass

Reply #878069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing worse tonight than the Breakers offence is Dwayne Russel.

Reply #878070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I too am wondering about the age of the young French guy on the Breakers. I thought I would have heard it at least once for every two times he's touched the ball but I’m sadly mistaken.

Reply #878071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Xavier Mumford is legit. Martin is no slouch defensively.

Reply #878072 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Breakers just woeful defensively tonight. Effort really lacking.

Reply #878073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are two young french guys with the breakers, the forward is 18 and the guard is 20

Reply #878074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully nz were so bad due to Covid going through there camp or it's going to be another long season.

Russell started the commentary telling us Santamaria was a former nbl star, lmao, it went even further downhill from there.

Reply #878075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Munford looks very good, excellent signing. Not sold on Qi some great interior defense work and some great switch work, but seemed to get caught out on second chance plays, think players like Jarrel Martin will be a big problem from him.

Reply #878076 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Big Zhou blocked several shots and impacted plenty of others

Last year SEMs weakness was interior D, size and rim protection. Landale made them his bunny. They could score but in a half court game against a good big man, they could get exposed.

SEM have solved that problem in emphatic fashion, without losing any of the things that took them to a 17 point lead in the deciding semi final game.

Reply #878077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I'm not the only one who did a double take when Russell referred to Santa as a 'former NBL star' - massive lol.

Reply #878083 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Didn't one of them during the game also refer to Rupert Sapwell as an "NBL legend" when talking about his son.

Reply #878091 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, I laughed at "NBL Legend Rupert Sapwell". I mean the guy used to bank free throws off the backboard...

Reply #878093 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

It seemed to me like the commentators were trying too hard to put some excitement and hype into their commentary - and did a lame job of it. Made me feel like I was on a Contiki tour bus.

If they toned down the hype and stuck to facts, then maybe I'd pay attention to what they’re saying; last night’s effort went to mute early at my place.

Reply #878095 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

In defense of the commentary team, hard to put excitement into this game. Breakers were DOA.

Reply #878096 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Love your comment, 096

Reply #878103 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754