Curtley
Years ago

NBL crowds bigger than A-League last round

Just 39K turned up to six A-League games over the weekend versus 45K for six NBL games.

Apart from the USA i doubt any other country would see that happen ever even when u consider leagues may be played at different times throughout the year.

Topic #49519 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worth noting that half of that NBL attendance total was from the two Perth games.

Reply #878348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take Perth away and those numbers are shit to say the least the NBL is growing and getting better but all this bs hype and constant bs to try and make it look better then it is actually shows how far it has to go.

Reply #878350 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

There was one A-league crowd of 14k and the rest averaged 5k.

Reply #878352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The headlines one day will be "A League makes money"! Who gives a shit about their attendances really.

Reply #878354 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The 36ers crowd was only 4,800 I think that's the lowest crowd yet since the move to AEC.

Reply #878355 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not aurprised. I'm a massive football fan and I have to say the A-League is complete garbage.

Reply #878356 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

surprised*

Reply #878357 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Perth definitely holding up things as usual. Its a great effort regardless of the specifics and could turn some heads.

Reply #878365 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think perth and sydney had decent crowds, the rest were underwhelming.

Reply #878366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think perth and sydney had decent crowds, the rest were underwhelming. "

Yes. However, I was wondering what impact the SA attitude towards COVID may have had. We've been pretty conservative and risk averse and the recent outbreak may have discouraged some people from going to a large indoor event like Sunday's game. Add in that it's less than 3 weeks from Xmas - it was busier than usual when I was out shopping Sunday lunchtime. Thirdly, the game time was deadset in the middle of Sunday lunch, which would have discouraged some folks.

I wonder if we'll see a better crowd for next Sunday's home game, or whether the crowds won't pick up until after Xmas?

Reply #878368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A wins a win, yes Perth are great but they are in the competition, so have to be counted.

Reply #878370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think our biggest issue is that it's a Sunday. It's just the worst day for a game. Actually felt sorry for the players having to get themselves up for such an early time slot. Full credit to Perth, just great crowds game in game out.

Reply #878371 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I think people are slowly getting used to a living with COVID world, some may be hesitant to attend or attend with a mask.

Pre COVID we were hitting attendance records (our own NBL ones), so the product itself is attractive just the circumstances are not ideal.

All clubs seems to be active on social media promoting the games / players, some to a higher degree but still actively promoted so its not due to laziness.

Reply #878373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Australia has had a total of 53 cases since re-opening their borders 2 weeks ago.

53 cases. In a city of 1.3 million.

And COVID is keeping crowd numbers down?

Everyone's probably gonna get covid eventually, at some stage in the next 3 or 4 years.

Are people going to keep living under a rock forever?

Reply #878375 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^me

Reply #878376 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes where people have been relatively unscathed by COVID the new normal can be daunting.

Reply #878378 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

It would be interesting for some research company to do a popularity comparison between the major domestic sporting leagues.

Whilst AFL and NRL hold significant attention, and BBL by virtue of the sport involved sits prominently, how would A-League, NBL and Super Rugby rank by comparison?

Though the A-League relied upon former noteworthy football players for marketing/audience (eg. Del Piero in Sydney), that route has diminished as time has gone on. Compare that to the NBL's recent success (and the rabid fan turnout in Perth), and it doesn't surprise me that the NBL is attracting comparable spectators.

The question of how the A-League makes (or promotes) a profit is a good one though.

Reply #878381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think perth and sydney had decent crowds, the rest were underwhelming."

Maybe elsewhere, but the Tassie Jack Jumpers sold out.

Reply #878382 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Maybe elsewhere, but the Tassie Jack Jumpers sold out."

With such a small stadium they'd damn well better sell out

Reply #878387 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The question of how the A-League makes (or promotes) a profit is a good one though.

There is no profit - it bleeds money.

Reply #878392 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not sure if it's realistic for NBL clubs to make a profit.

It's something us fans better hope rich guys keep doing out of love and fun.

Few of us are across all the details that become publicly available, but from looking into this in the past, as best I could ascertain there's only about 4 sporting clubs in Australia who make a sizeable profit ($1mil plus). They were West Coast, Hawthorn, Brisbane Broncos...and Collingwood maybe? I can't even recall who they were.

But I know the majority of AFL clubs make a profit (pre-covid). But it's mostly tiny profits, except the 2 or 3 powerhouses.

Maybe half of NRL clubs make profit?

But NBL, A League etc, I doubt there would've been any time in their entire histories where the majority of clubs were making money.

I'm not sure that's a statement which could be definitively proven either way, but I'd be confident it's true.

Reply #878393 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'd love to see information on this too, if anyone has time to dig properly.

Reply #878394 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yeah I think we will revisit why $70m was spent to upgrade the DEC and yet when they sell out and break a Tasmanian record for a basketball game, it's looked upon in contempt... they should have made a 10k seat venue to encourage those from the north to be able to feel like they can get a seat or two at all games.... and if they couldn't then that would be all the more impressive

Reply #878396 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Profits, losses, it actually doesn't directly matter. Owners are using these clubs as a tax offset for their other assets and when everything is all weighed up between their other interests, they lose less in tax by owning a club than if they didn't. If the owners were legitimately losing money for owning NBL clubs the NBL simply would not exist. Simple as that

Reply #878412 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not sure whether that's the case.

But even so, losing money but getting some tax benefit is still losing money.

Reply #878413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But even so, losing money but getting some tax benefit is still losing money."

Not necessarily. Depends on whether some of the costs of running the NBL team business are charges for goods and services provided by other companies you own, and whether/how those companies are taxed. e.g., set up an overseas based company to provide management services to the club, charge a management fee well above what hiring the staff etc. costs you, then localise the costs while exporting the revenue. Similarly for hiring office equipment, accounting services etc.

I've no idea if any club owners have adopted practices like this but it's not uncommon for businesses to adopt these sorts of structures these days. Especially those with overseas investors.

Reply #878416 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Those types of arrangements are used to export Aussie profits to lower taxing overseas jurisdictions.

If you're not making Aussie profits because your club's losing money, what's the point? You're still losing money.

Reply #878418 | Report this post

Old Coach  
Years ago

I am/was a big A-League fan and I think the quality is high unlike one poster above. However A-league lost me when they moved away from Kayo, I am not paying for another service just to watch A-League.

Reply #878425 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Clubs still have to spend a dollar for their parent group to claim back 30c.

Yes it IS a tax offset, but a very expensive one.

I think primarily you would do it because you love the sport (Walsh) / the vision / satisfaction of building something (Bendat), to look important (Smith).

Reply #878427 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There is also the opportunity the club creates to network and create other opportunities with your other businesses. Let's be completely frank here, if all anyone got from an NBL club was losing money, they'd not exist. There is a clear upside to having these clubs. Yes, tax offset. And yes, also networking and the ability to connect with other businesses that comes from having that type of asset.

Reply #878439 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And yes, also networking and the ability to connect with other businesses that comes from having that type of asset.

In some instances you could even find the state premier sitting next to you at every home game.

Reply #878444 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754