Curtley
Years ago

NBL expansion offers

In todays news limited papers NBL expansion was again on the cards. Written by Matt Logue.

The NBL has received expansion bids from multiple parties across the country as interest in joining the Australian competition booms.

League commissioner Jeremy Loeliger confirmed investors from NSW, the ACT, Queensland, Northern Territory and Victoria have contacted him with expansion expressions of interest.

And while there is no definitive date for expanding the current 10-team league, Loeliger says the inquires for more teams are serious and genuine.

"I've fielded expressions of interest from all of them within the last 12 months and they haven’t been hairbrained, ill-conceived approaches either," Loeliger said.

“Most of them have been from very creditable people who are willing to do the work to put together a compelling business case.

NBL commissioner Jeremy Loeliger, with and NBL owner Larry Kestelman, says there has been interest from most states and territorities about expansion.

NBL commissioner Jeremy Loeliger, with and NBL owner Larry Kestelman, says there has been interest from most states and territorities about expansion.
“The recent success of South East Melbourne and Tasmania has meant that we are continuing to explore further expansion opportunities.

“There are certainly a couple of opportunities around Australia at this point, where a number of important factors like support, infrastructure and fans are coming together.

“We will continue to have those discussions, monitor those approaches and consider them carefully.”

Loeliger stressed the league isn’t in a rush to expand and there must be the right alignment of infrastructure, investment from sponsors, interest from local fans and supportive local councils and state governments.

“We’ve said this all along because sustainability is important to the quality of the game but also to the bottom line of each club,” he said.

“I think both Phoenix and the JackJumpers were the perfect alignment of all those interests coming together at the right place, at the right time.

“For South East Melbourne in particular to make the playoffs in their second year and be an absolute championship contender in year three, I think will give people a lot of heart that they can compete from very early stages.

Topic #49546 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newcastle, geelong, qld?, Canberra, Darwin

Reply #879042 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hello Gold Coast Rollers/Blaze!

Nah this is good for the NBL with the $45M TV contract over the next three years now is the time to expand to garner more interest in the next TV deal.

Reply #879044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No nz 2?

Reply #879045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can only be Townsville or gc.
Sunshine Coast has no stadium

Reply #879047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong or regional Victoria

Reply #879050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely need a second NZ team. Every year talented Kiwis are taking up spots of young Aussies and a second NZ team could have C Webster, T Webster, Fotu and be instantly competitive as well as make for another throw down derby.

Reply #879058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong, no stadium...

Reply #879060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New stadiums for sc, Newcastle, geelong post 2028

Means only Townsville, Newcastle or Canberra with upgrades

Reply #879061 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If these young Aussies were better than the Kiwi's they would be in the league.

All new teams will do is dilute the talent pool and force expansion teams to overpay mediocre players.

Reply #879062 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

League commissioner Jeremy Loeliger confirmed investors from NSW, the ACT, Queensland, Northern Territory and Victoria have contacted him with expansion expressions of interest.

The experts on here are stunned there is no second Perth team on this list.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Reply #879067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got to be a second Kiwi team out of Wellington.

Canberra and Darwin teams will be probables so that Larry can call it truly national league for publicity.

Gold Coast and Townsville have the stadiums so be ready for the Cougars/Rollers/Blaze and Suns/Crocs reincarnation teams.....

Reply #879068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christchurch stadium the only arena ready

Reply #879069 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

For me- if we are talking expansion, a prudent expansion too with high growth, good corporate exposure and community support, for me there are really only 2 options

- QLD need something. Highest growth state in Australia, the nrl has expanded here for a second team- I think a team based Sunshine Coast, or West Brisbane could work. Both options need a new stadium

- Newcastle could work again- if done well. Again, a new 10,000 stadium is required.

Reply #879071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you look top 15 Australian city/town populations, the 6th through 9th cities aren't currently represented (2019 stats from Wikipedia)

1) Sydney 5,312,163
2) Melbourne 5,078,193
3) Brisbane 2,514,184
4) Perth 2,085,973
5) Adelaide 1,359,760
6) Gold Coast-Tweed Heads 693,671
7) Newcastle–Maitland 491,474
8) Canberra–Queanbeyan 462,136
9) Sunshine Coast 341,069
10) Wollongong 306,034
11) Geelong 275,794
12) Hobart 236,136
13) Townsville 181,668
14) Cairns 153,951
15) Darwin 147,255

Reply #879073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong nearing 320,000

Reply #879076 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yes Wellington have a well supported franchise in the Saints who are a powerhouse in the NZNBL, too bad their owner isn't interested in paying a ton for an NBL license.
TSB Arena in Wellington seats about 5,500 and Wellington's population is about 212,000.

Christchurch struggles to maintain an NZNBL team so not sure who's going to fund an NBL franchise down there.
Christchurch Arena seats 7,200 and Christchurch's population is about 381,500.

Reply #879077 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I made my points and opinion about varying factors in the other thread.

I do think 12 teams would be the perfect amount - especially if they can draw back in Kay, Fotu, Webster brothers to avoid the dilution problem. I do agree that we don't want to be diluting and overpaying average players (Aussies). 12 provides a nice variety.

Have a second NZ team please! IMO, regional QLD/NSW aren’t ideal - I don’t see what would change to make them properly supported this time around?

People are less institution and tradition driven these days - Cairns are lucky to be so ingrained and well supported tbh.

Reply #879083 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am not sure how commercially viable it is but I've always liked the idea of welcoming the Northern Territory to the NBL. It's a place that is overlooked and forgotten by literally everyone in every area of Australian life and yet, if we put a team there, I am very sure they'd have passionate support. The questions might be around sponsorship dollars but if the government could chip in, maybe they'd get something off the ground.

Not really a fan of going back to places that have already fallen off the radar unless there is a sound reason as to why it absolutely wont happen again. Townsville became a bit of a laughing stock and fans stopped turning up. Same basically happened with the Gold Coast. My question to those teams is what makes this time different?

Talentise I don't think you can expand without relaxing import quotas even further. Pretty soon you'll have a league where Jarrod Kenny is a starting point guard, and we don't really want that.

As for New Zealand, I am all for a team in Wellington or Christchurch. New Zealand has always turned up and supported their teams and there is well and truly enough kiwi talent to support it.

Reply #879086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about another Adelaide team, sure a lot of disenfranchised Sixers fans would jump on.

Reply #879088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the growth in Australia and New Zealand Basketball, the talent will be fine in a few years time to expand, but I don't think its ready yet.

Honestly players like Giddey, Le Afa, Travers , Wetzell, Vasilijevic, White are so talented and only debuted professionally last year, gives you a sign of good things to come.

Reply #879089 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Sunshine Coast has no stadium." Being from the Sunshine Coast, I like this idea.

Currently, USC (Uni of Sunshine Coast) has the best facility. Ripcity use it for NBL 1 and the Lightning for national netball league games. Holds 3000+(?). Probably just about big enough to accommodate our fans, do many NBL fans travel interstate with/for their teams?

If LK saw value in funding necessary expansion of the USC court, maybe. [With little possibility of commercial and or residential opportunities (at a university) I don't see it.]

However, we will have a world-class court for the 2032 Olympics [Basketball to be featured here]. Maybe by then.

Reply #879094 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"The experts on here are stunned there is no second Perth team on this list."

Touché!

Reply #879095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this talk of a 2nd team from New Zealand is fanciful. Has anyone stopped to consider (or understand) the rules around a team from one FIBA nation playing in a competition from another FIBA nation. You can't just set up a team and go play in another country, you have to get sign-off from the national body of that country, just like the Breakers had to do when they entered the NBL all those years ago. No sign-off by the national body, no entry. FIBA won't allow it.

You might recall Mt Gambier wasn't permitted entry into the NZ NBL a couple of years ago when BA (aka Larry?) said no. BA said they would only allow one team, which were the Huskies at the time, and therefore Mt Gambier were told they couldn't go. Why would Basketball NZ act any differently in return?

Plus, Kiwis who are good enough can already play in the NBL unrestricted for any team. Why pay for another team when your players already have open access to play in the NBL?

As much as you keep calling for Wellington and Christchurch to raid their piggy banks, build new stadiums and find owners/sponsors with loads of cash to burn, you'll find it's a wasted discussion as Larry and the NBL have no control in that part of the world.

Reply #879099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talent dilution is not such a problem.

When you add a new team, you can presume four players will come from the 3 imports plus a Next Star. You might have a 5th player via the Asian player rule. So you're really only looking for 6-8 locals for the new team.

If NBL reverted to the roster sizes it had 3 or 4 seasons ago (1 less than now), while keeping the 3 imports, Next Stars and Asian player rules, then you'd free up 10 locals from existing NBL teams. You'd also reduce the number of locals you're looking for to 5-7 per new team added. So adding 2 new teams would need only 4 or fewer locals from outside existing NBL rosters.

Reducing roster sizes would not affect the on-court product quality.

So adding 2 teams needn't dilute the quality of NBL locals.

Reply #879102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re NZ second team - worth noting the quotes in the article implicitly exclude NZ opportunities.

"Australia", "states and territories", "NSW", "ACT", Northern Territory", "Victoria", "Queensland", "parties across the country" are all explicitly mentioned. NZ not being mentioned is a pretty clear message of no interest coming from there.

Reply #879103 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

BBNZ sees the value in having a NZ team in the NBL, it has done wonders for the national program since the Breakers inception.
I honestly don't see them being a hurdle, it’s the funding. Finding a bunch of investors with financial stability and then sponsors that aren’t already tapped out in an already difficult financial landscape especially with the sacrifices the Breakers have had to make during this pandemic will be the difficult task.
Getting players to relocate from Auckland to Christchurch is akin to leaving Sydney or Melbourne for Tasmania, cool if it’s an opportunity but if you’re already successful then it’s a big ask unless they’re paying over the going rate.

Reply #879105 | Report this post

SEQ  
Years ago

Could a team play games 7O/30 in gold coast stadium and USC stadium maroochydore? The latter fits 3000 or any number of the new stadiums being built for the olympics.

Reply #879107 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

They need to wait 3-5 years before expanding further.

Let SEM & Tassie consolidate. Continue growing the league and the product.

We've been down this road before, let's be 110% sure we're getting it right and don't rush into anything.

Reply #879108 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I am 100% behind expansion (providing the teams will be viable)

But... How about putting a lot more emphasis on expanding the Brisbane model?

What does Nissan Arena hold? Maybe 4,000? Rarely, if ever sells out.

For the 3rd largest city in Australia and considering in the early 90's the Bullets use to host between 11,000 to 13,000 fans, the current interest there is very poor.

Time to step up Bullets owners and NBL

Reply #879109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"BBNZ sees the value in having a NZ team in the NBL, it has done wonders for the national program since the Breakers inception."

Exaclty ... point is what's in it for them to have a 2nd team? Basketball is booming in NZ without needing another team in the NBL, and Kiwis can already play in 10 NBL teams (not just one) without restriction, which is supporting their national program perfectly.

Let the Gold Coast come up with the millions needed to churn through another NBL team!

Reply #879110 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

Interesting that there's interest from the ACT. What would they do for a stadium? There's apparently infrastructure problems at the Palace that will prevent it from re-opening once it stops being used as a vaccination hub, and the Convention Centre only holds 2,500 for basketball from memory.

Reply #879116 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I don't think another NZ team would work. BA has no no control over any International teams like New Zealand and Singapore. It’s up to FIBA to sign the deal off. It wasn’t mentioned on the news article.

The league needs to just focus on the 11th NBL franchise. Any cities who have stadiums ready like Gold Coast, Townsville and Sydney.

Personally they need to bring back a second team in Sydney. Sydney derby like what Melbourne is showing with the throwdown could work.

Queenslanders barely support the Bullets, so having a team in the Gold Coast so close to Brisbane wouldn’t make any sense.

Canberra and Newcastle needs renovations to both of their stadiums. I say have them both ready after the 11th NBL franchise.

My plan would be have the West Sydney Razorbacks playing at Qudos Bank Arena with the Kings. Then add Canberra and Newcastle when their stadiums are ready. It gives enough time to see if there’s enough local interest in those’s two cites. If not then consider a team in Darwin or Geelong. Surprise Perth and Adelaide aren’t in the discussions. West Adelaide Bearcats would be cool if they had their team back.

Reply #879117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qudos bank arena is not western Sydney, very few from western Sydney venture to Qudos, it will be like the giants afl empty. Build a stadium at Liverpool or Blacktown, start at 5/6 thousand and see how it goes. I'd like to how hawks are travelling in a few years as well, not that long ago they were just about gone.

Reply #879118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes true western sydney is Liverpool (where the razorbacks played for their first few years) and further west.

The fact the kings have signed a very long term deal to stay in homebush (next to where GWS play their home games) indicates it would be tough to have another western-ish based team. Remember the kings heyday was in the early 90s when they played in the CBD. It makes just as much sense to put a team there (if there's anywhere to play now) as putting one in true Western Sydney.

Reply #879122 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Qudos is a pain in the ass location.

Not great for after work bball for cbd people - really not easy to access, I remember having to take a crap train then Uber it to properly make it to the stadium in reasonable time after work.

Not sure it's in much of a suburban spot either?

Reply #879124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney entertainment centre, sold off to the developers for f... all so privately owned Qudos could make a buck.
They are just liberals.

Reply #879126 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

In general it's hard driving around Sydney with that Bay. Unless West Sydney could train at the State Sports Stadium but if it’s used by the Kings then it looks like West Sydney won’t have a team unless they build a new stadium in proper West Sydney which would fit 5,000-8,000.

Reply #879128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newcastle to play out of new 4000 seat arena until other arena refurbished
Sunshine Coast to play out of usc arena 3500 seat until 6000 seat sports complex built late decade.

Reply #879130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings train at parramatta basketball courts in Lidcombe, a few klm from Qudos. The former state sports centre is old and just up road from Qudos, less than a klm. This area was western Sydney fifty years plus ago. No sports in Sydney draw that good crowds, swans do ok but basically east Sydney.
If Sydney is to get an other team, Blacktown or probably Liverpool. Qudos is a quality stadium but at shit place and horrendous rules to get in or out. Every thing is so overpriced and there is no way you can get anything in.

Reply #879132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Singapore?

Reply #879136 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Singapore is not a big basketball city and a new team would have to compete with the Slingers who play in the more suited ASEAN League now.

There was some interest a few years back from Chinese investors about basing a team on the Gold Coast that might work but GC is a graveyard for pro-sports teams. If the AFL weren't still propping up the Suns they would've already gone under.

Reply #879138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the afl were not backing the giants they would also be gone. It's a Melbourne franchise placed in Sydney, and not west Sydney that they would like you to believe.

Reply #879140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And FIBA quashed that China bid Zodiac

Reply #879147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding is that there are no roadblocks to a second NBL team other than the only serious interest so far was from Wellington and the Mills family, but Kestleman wants $ for the licence and the Mills won't pay anything for the licence.

Reply #879169 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I love the Darwin idea, is there any chance that LK could get land and build something akin to what he did in Tasmania where it has an income source that doesn't rely on basketball ?

If that is a possibility and the Territory government pledge to finance it then I'd love to see a team up there and build it as being representative of all of the Territory including Katherine and Alice Springs.

As for needing investors etc, surely we are going to see more ex NBA players wanting to buy teams but with Perth being sold to SEN that theory could be easily shot down.

NBL really needs to benefit from the money, infrastructure and resources going into the Olympics as they are here in 10 1/2 years.

I've stated previously that I'd love Newcastle, North West Victoria (use the Giants teal) and Canberra back in but we certainly need to consider the growth of Western Sydney too.

I'm glad the decisions aren't being made by myself as I'd accept everyone in.

For those that say we are diluting talent too much Emmett Naar is a quality player with a great temperament that should have a fine NBL career but he will be lucky to see the court this season with this stacked Hawks roster and he'd be the kind of player that deserves more opportunity to show what he can do.

Reply #879192 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think Tasmania had the perfect alignment of interests for LK - a stadium to work with that just needed upgrades, good surrounding area he could develop, a base that has shown decent basketball support with their NBL1 side, a state itching for sport and continually pushing for an AFL side, strong government support with lots of $$$ funding thrown in to make sure this thing grows instead of falling over within 5 years. Good basketball decision for the NBL and a good commercial decision for LKs other businesses.

Not sure NT ticks any of those boxes to be perfectly honest. Only box it ticks is being a market without a team, but there are lots of those....

I guess regional QLD could benefit infra wise from an Olympics - maybe that translates to the possibility of another team. 5-10 years is a long time - things change, but right now I don't see QLD, NT, Canberra, Newcastle as good options

Reply #879193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy. Bendigo, the basketball capital of Australia.

Reply #879201 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Years ago

If expansion is truly on the cards then the Special Restricted Player rule needs to be looked at again. Maybe Asian Countries + Commonwealth Countries?? But only decent players would come from Canada and maybe even Nigeria?? Have 3 imports, either one Next Star and SRP, or 2 SRP. Of course that's up to each teams budgets.

Reply #879214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea

Reply #879215 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

1. Never ever put a team on the Gold Coast. Guaranteed money pit.

2. For expansion teams you must give them concessions on players in the first 2 years so they are competitive. The JackJumpers program has been brilliantly done in every aspect except the team they have put on the floor. Mostly bench and role players having to masquerade as starters. Going to lose crowds and sponsors because they won't be winning at a reasonable percentage and are playing a terrible brand of basketball. Effort is fantastic but cannot score. The expansion team needs to get the 2 best next stars and be allowed to pay an extra 25% on top of the salary cap so they can attract players. Build team and culture ready for 3rd year flying solo.

Reply #879252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the JJs have enough money? That team worth $2.50, either there cheap scapes or someone is getting highly overpaid.

Reply #879253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loeliger said over last few years geelong when infrastructure is built, Canberra with infrastructure, possible ais arena buy, Townsville and Newcastle refurbished.

Reply #879258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I vote for a Philippines team. Imagine having a melee every game. They could be called Kung Fu Pandas.

Reply #879259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/SENBreakfast/status/1465912291275149312?s=20

Reply #879260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Round 2 Cairns v Tasmania, perfect advertisement for no expansion in the next 5 years. There just is not enough talent

Reply #879261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of talent imo.

List the players who aren't here currently who are nbl level next few years....

Asia
Kay
Brandt
Fotu

Europe
Maker
Mathiang
Motum
Gak

Nba
Ingles
Baynes

Ncaa…

Nznbl…

Nbl1…

Juniors…

Reply #879262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refer above. Cairns v Tasmania screams not enough talent, + plus not enough $$ to entice some of those guys back. Cairns and Tasmania show depth is an issue. There isn't 16 ready to go athletes at the nbl level. And anyone who says there is needs to put down the pipe

Reply #879272 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I love the idea of giving Commonwealth countries like Canada, Nigeria, and British players to have a spot on our NBL rosters. Like the Special Restricted Player rule with Asia. Should be the Commonwealth Player Rule.

It's only a good idea if the NBL was going to expand to two more teams. The only issue now is that the NBL need to figure out which cities can manage an NBL team without merging or folding like the past when the NBL rushed expansion during the early 2000’s.

Reply #879274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe actually do some research and and listen to what loeliger has to say about expansion.....

Reply #879275 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

VT

Commonwealth country status?

The Commonwealth is an anachronism. Look at the standard of the Commonwealth Games compared to Olympics, or World Championships in different sports (apart from netball).

Looking t the Asian region is looking to Australia's regional future. Looking to the Commonwealth is looking back to the nineteenth century British Empire.

Reply #879455 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Look at the standard of the Commonwealth Games compared to Olympics, or World Championships in different sports (apart from netball)."

That is a very unfair comparison. What else in the sporting world compares with Olympics and WC's (in all sports).

Compare Comm Games with regional tournies (Asian cup, Africa, Central Americas) and the balance is much closer, as it should be.

Reply #879463 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Also noticed this. "Looking to the Commonwealth is looking back to the nineteenth century British Empire."

...and the Olympics are over 2000yrs old. Even the modern O's are from the late 1800's.

Reply #879464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People on the Gold Coast just don't go to sport. That’s been proven across multiple codes. That would be a bust.

Reply #879465 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm not pro any special restricted spots, but Commonwealth is by far the worst idea.

If we're going to give any, Asia makes by far the most sense in terms of increasing potential viewers.

Reply #879466 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Agreed, Cram. Logistically & geographically, too. Add the possibility of looking at "teams" (not just SRP's)(eg. Singapore Slingers)in the NBL.

Victoria Titans: "I love the idea of giving Commonwealth countries like Canada, Nigeria, and British players to have a spot on our NBL rosters. Like the Special Restricted Player rule with Asia. Should be the Commonwealth Player Rule."

The danger I see is that several NBA players have Nigerian or Canadian eligibility so players like Ebi Ere, Cam Oliver, Agada and others (?) could have played here (NBL) as an SRP, not an import. Now, I can see that would have an impact on locals getting a go.
3 x imports
1 x SRP (Asian)
1 x CPR (Commonwealth-ian)
1 x NS
who could all be starters and 6th man,
and
6 x locals (7th to 12th man, off the bench)

This can even have an effect on our legit NBL locals.
For instance, if you have to pick between Humphries and Cam Oliver (as a CPR) for about the same price, chance is, you may pick Oliver.

What happens to Humphries, then?
He tries other NBL clubs and faces similar story. 3 of our 4 current (Asian) SRPs are starting quality. ​
He leaves the NBL and goes to anywhere as an import.
He accepts a 7th or lower-man role in the NBL. Ok, Hump​h would make 6th man, but you get my meaning, I hope.

NB. This is not about Humphries and Oliver. Both play the C, both awesome yadda yadda. Just an example that came to mind!

Reply #879468 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"(eg. Singapore Slingers)in the NBL."
I meant, "(eg. like Singapore Slingers but not them) in the NBL."

Reply #879469 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

RobT

Asia is our region, and has a bright future in, well, everything. The Commonwealth is our past. That's the point.

Reply #879473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asia has a bright future in terms of producing cheap mass produced items because of nearly slave labour and human rights violations. One thing I agree about Enes Kanter Freedom is that guys like LeBrons will go on about social injustice but not say a word about China and other countries because of money.

Reply #879482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of Asian countries pay very well, much better than Australia.

I'm not certain why players like lebron would have to have ago at china, US has bombed countries at will in the last 70 years with no success killing millions.

US and it’s allies just left Afghanistan after twenty years in absolute mayhem and death, beaten by people wearing sandles.

Reply #879490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry about getting so off topic ^^^ but there is two sides to every coin.

Reply #879491 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

So the new expansion team should only wear sandals when they play and will go undefeated is what I am hearing.

Reply #879492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minimum hourly salary is $1.52 in China.

Reply #879496 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There isn't enough Australian talent to facilitate expansion right now, if we keep all import rules the same.

I see there's a small list of players who are NBL level listed. You can add Taran Armstrong to that mix. But the chances of having most of those guys available and willing? Zero.

The team in Tasmania didn't exactly unearth a bunch of burgeoming players who were just chomping at the bid for stardom. They just repurposed role players. And while I respect the fight they put up game in, game out, they're probably the canary in the coalmine of the Australian NBL talent situation.

Expansion is going to have to mean the relaxing of import rules. I think a balance can be found between ensuring Australian jobs and getting the best possible talent and spectacle we can in the league. But if bringing in a top Asian or Commonwealth player means some bottom-feeding Australian player with no Boomers, NBA, Euroleague or NBL star-level future doesn't get a chance to float around for a few years, then so be it.

A better league is better for Australian talent. If that means a young Brendan Teys or Graeme Dann doesn't get their chance to worm their way into our hearts, then that's just how the cookie crumbles. The better players will always make a spot here. There is no world where Isaac Humphries doesn't get a job in the NBL. There are a lot of NBL Aussies who've been underperforming for a long time who need a little employment pressure to step to the plate anyway - Harry Frolling anyone?

Reply #879497 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

On the business side of things I trust NBL ownership to make the right decisions on expansion, where to expand, and why. But I am hopeful they do keep the talent situation in mind.

Reply #879500 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What do you consider "right now"?

I don't think we will see expansion clubs announced one year, entering the next anymore. I think it would be a multi year process to get it really right. That rules out the next 2 years IMO.

I don’t see any expansion happening in the next 3 years for example - I think we will see a 12 team league in around the next 5/6 years perhaps.

Reply #879502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME
Did you take in Armstrongs last game.
Don't get mixed up in the hype from Tas.
Also please don’t tell me Cameron from NZ is a gun!!

Reply #879511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China is not all Asia. Geography is not your strong point.
Expansion in Asia would be great.
Sydney-Perth 5 hours
Sydney-Singapore 7 hours.
Sydney-Manila 8.5 hours.
Sydney- China 10 hours.

Nba teams fly daily, some flights up to 6 hours, not a great deal of difference.
Asia has money, the nbl should get there. Add Japan and Korea.

Reply #879544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz 2 surely the next team in, Wellington or Canterbury region.

Reply #879759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abl australian baseball have a team from korea based in melbourne

Reply #879760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Current
(Adelaide) Adelaide entertainment centre 11,300 capacity
(Brisbane) Nissan arena** 5,000 capacity
(Cairns) Cairns convention centre 5,300 capacity
(Illawara) WIN entertainment centre 6,000 capacity
(Melbourne) John Cain arena 10,500 capacity
(NZ) Spark arena 9,300 capacity
(Perth) RAC arena 15,500 capacity
(SEM) John Cain arena** 10,500 capacity
(Sydney) Qudos bank arena 18,200 capacity
(Tasmania) My State bank arena 5000 capacity

Refurbish?
*AIS Canberra arena 5,000+ capacity
*Gold Coast convention centre 5,300+ capacity
*Newcastle entertainment centre 5,000+ capacity
*Townsville entertainment centre 5,300+ capacity
*Wellington TSB arena 5,600+ capacity
*Christchurch arena 7,200+ capacity

Future
(Brisbane) Brisbane indoor sports centre 12,000 capacity 2026-
(SEM) SBC arena 8,000 capacity 2024-
*Sunshine Coast sports complex 6,000 capacity 2026-

Possible future?
*Geelong arena
*Darwin arena
*Western Sydney arena

** getting new arena
*no team currently

20 team league max
12 this decade maybe, 16 2030-2050, 20 2050-2070

Reply #879764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie need another team. The one in Hobart is shit.

Reply #879766 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Tassie need another team. The one in Hobart is shit."

Don't agree but funny as...!

Reply #879913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong need investment into local basketball courts before updating outdated Geelong Arena for 12 non Geelong athletes to run around on. Would think other satellite towns mentioned would be in the same predicament.

Reply #879919 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Isn't that like not having a cinema in town cos there are no actors of note from Geelong?

Reply #879923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it has been bad enough watching there NBL1 sides run around with little local input,costing an arm and leg to try and get coaches a gig at the next level rather than developing at least some local talent,at least the girls had a chance to get some young local exciting players on the court last season,it's not all that long ago an auditing report stated it had concerns about Geelong Basketballs on going viability,so unless a super wealthy backer comes calling no chance Geelong

Reply #879925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@925 yes you are spot on about non locals so why they need NBL, now tell us who was at the reins when audit was done ??.

Reply #879941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only had 2 CEOs since about 2013,so not hard to work that out,

Reply #879972 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

According to Logue, he believes a second team in Sydney would be the wise move having looked at the success of the local rivalry now between the Phoenix and Melbourne United.

"I think a second Sydney team would be great," Logue said.

“At the moment there's a rule until 2024 that there can’t be another team because the Kings have a lock out that they’re the only team (in the city).

“It’s important that the Kings need to get back where they were winning championships before a second Sydney team is included.

“But, it’s proven, look what the AFL has done with the Swans and Giants.

“Western Sydney is a huge growth area, so I think a second Sydney team would work.

“For mine, I think it’s Sydney.”

Reply #880103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Western Sydney have no stadium.

Reply #880106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quaycentre refurb

Reply #880107 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I know, but by 2024. Heaps of time to refurbish Western Sydney indoors stadium.

They better bring back the West Sydney Razorbacks. I'm sick of these’s lame names the NBL keep coming up with. The Razorbacks were so close winning a NBL championships in the early 2000’s. They deserve to be back in the NBL. It would make sense because they use to be rivals with the Sydney Kings.

Reply #880109 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think more teams and more storylines in the NBL would be a great thing. But I think we're just assuming that if we plant another team in Sydney, it will just happen, and people will just start caring.

Rivalries are usually organic and have to come from the regions that they're set in. Are there two areas in Sydney that traditionally dislike eachother? I don't know. If there is, then you have something there. If there isn't, you're trying to create something our of thin air a bit.

Then again the SEM v Melbourne thing has become a rivalry and has been more or less spoken into existence, so there's that. But I don't think a rivalry automatically happens by just sitting another team nearby. And I don't think the rationale of expansion should be based on that as the chief driver.

Reply #880110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz 2 first imo

Reply #880112 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

New Zealand won't get another team till the Breakers can start being successful again.

Looks like there will be another Sydney team by 2024. My bet is between that time we may have an 11th team in Canberra, Newcastle or Gold Coast. Canberra truely deserve their team back but they need to fix up AIS Arena. It’s a good stadium but they need to fix the air conditioning and more!

I know Townsville have a great stadium but would the locals support their team when Cairns is the most dominant team in North Queensland. Townsville went down hill when that mine closed down.

Gold Coast Convention Centre is a great stadium but it’s too dear for the locals to afford it. Many Gold Coast people won’t have enough. Look at Gold Coast United and the Blaze/Rollers who went broke. If there’s money it will work, but it’s up to the locals.

Brisbane v Gold Coast games would be a great rivalry.

Reply #880203 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

History has shown that teams from the Gold Coast don't succeed. Unless there is a firm reason to think this time is different, I think they should leave it alone.

It was heartening to see Brisbane turn up to their opening home game though. But let's wait for Brisbane to kick off properly before looking to add anything else from that region.

Townsville should be left dead in the water. it was nice while it lasted but they stopped showing up to games. And even when they were warned, they stopped showing up. I quite liked the "idea" of the Townsville crocs and everything about it. But once again, WHY will it be successful this time?

From all the talk it looks like another Sydney team is probably in the pipeline. I think it should be based on historical regional rivalries of different areas vs city dwellers rather than something superimposed.

Reply #880208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every time Victoria Titans posts he is fast becoming D3.0

Reply #880209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the lakers and clippers sheer the same arena

Reply #880212 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Cal Bruton posting re Jeremy Loeliger discussing possible expansion to Canberra.

Reply #880223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cal will always post anything where he has a chance to be involved with anything Canberra. I am sure his reputation precedes him.

Reply #880225 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yeh Cal's a salesman no doubt

Reply #880228 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

In condemning past attempts are we ignoring Illawarra's recent issues. A new owner, front office, coach(ing staff) and team. And locals who avoided games like the plague.

Early days for them, but it does seem to be working. Remember that the Hawks were seen as a basket-case just over a year ago. Nearly every-one wanted them out of the league. Now, all we get is how good this team is.

Could private ownership help Cairns? Some-one who wants to use the NBL for their own commercial reasons, not as a service/duty to their local basketball community. I know that that sounds horrible but I am trying to be practical. IMHO, NBL1 is the ideal association service/duty.

Reply #880230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeh Cal's a salesman no doubt"
Yes and you don't know what Cal did to the Devils when he was in control.

Reply #880237 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes and you don't know what Cal did to the Devils when he was in control.

So how do you know anything that you seem to think is true, is true? Sounds like you are stating 'facts' based on jealousy. Or simply being an arsewipe. Prove it. In control. What he did. Otherwise STFU.

Reply #880243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christchurch needs a team, great fan base watching how they supports the Canterbury team last season
Have a 7500 seat arena already built

Have other sports and a good city to attract good players

Reply #880251 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I don't get why Tasmania Government didn’t make the Derwent entertainment centre 7,500. It’s only half a stadium. Just watch any JackJumpers game and you’ll notice it. Cameras really need to focus on the other side of the stadium. It looks so small on the tight end.

Reply #880252 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I agree with Matt that Sydney will most likely get the next NBL license. Only issue is we have to wait till 2024.

I heard the British league will expand to a further 4 teams in the next five years to make the competition have 15 teams.

Yes, there's a massive standard difference between our leagues, but the London Lions and Leicester Riders could beat NBL team on their good day.

Britain has a five import rule compared to Australia who only have three, plus a Next Star. Europe is very different because they just play so many more games, thanks to other FIBA competitions and their Trophies, Cups etc.

Reply #880253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754