Anon
Years ago

Basketball Australia racism claims

I'm sorry this could be a touchy subject but I fee it needs to be discussed

2 occasions we have had issue this week

Now before anyone has a go at me Black lives do matter as do white I’m in no way shape or form racist .... But I think the Tiff Mitchel issue is far fetched and is being made out bigger than it needs to be because with the current state of the world it can be….. the bigger issue I feel is Wayne Peterson’s comment toward jo chi.

I support Tiffany Mitchel as an African American and I wish her nothing but happiness freedom and respect but put it to bed basketball Australia has made a slight error of judgment…. Doesn’t make them racist, you make mistakes on court when you turn the ball over or when you spell a name incorrectly you can’t throw this in BA face because they simply tried to enforce a rule that they didn’t realise was no longer valid ….. is white Australian female had false nails they would be asked to cut them tape them etc ….. if they asked tiff Mitchel to do that would we get the same response as the hair …… I think it’s over eggagerated and I may cop some criticism for this post but so be it I’m not trying to coz trouble I’m trying to see it as an even playing field …. Doesn’t mean I don’t support the black lives matters movement because there is a serious issue and I support that but not everything has to be a racial issue.

Sorry for bad grammar and waffling in but this has been bugging me all day and I wanted to post

Topic #49552 | Report this topic

Nix 95  
Years ago

Agree, it was blown way out of proportion. There are many rules in place to protect players, this happens to be one of them. I find it sad every time someone gets told something they don't like it can somehow be turned into a racial issue.

Reply #879284 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do white people grow fingernails at a different rate to black people?

Reply #879291 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

I think they were referring to the rule being in place for safety....

Reply #879295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Do white people grow fingernails at a different rate to black people?"

Are hair braids exclusive to black people?

Reply #879299 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #879302 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm guessing it goes something like this: the rule was introduced for safety; the US encounters an issue where it’s mostly black people with braids, as yes, the genetics is different in that respect; US realises the rule disproportionately picks on black people as a result; US realises braids aren’t really that much of a tear after all and changes the rule; Australia doesn’t encounter the issue until now; Basketball Australia decides it’s really not a safety risk on the balance and changes it.

Long story short: just an over zealous safety rule that makes sense in theory but in practice isn’t worth applying

Reply #879306 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Aren't really that much of a safety issue after all*

Reply #879307 | Report this post

Monix  
Years ago

How did Mitchel have her hair ? I couldn't find anything on how she was wearing it ?
When coaching (womens) I did have the refs tell me some of my players had to change their hair because it was a platt and deemed unsafe. Although that was a few years ago. Is this the rule they are referring to and saying is no longer enforced ?

Reply #879318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Black hair and white hair are not the same."

The curliness of hair depends on the shape of the hair follicle. More round cross-sections of hair strand result in straighter hair. More oval shape cross-sections result in more curliness to the point of fuzziness. As a generalisation, Asian populations have more round hair follicle, whereas African populations tend to be more oval. White populations are somewhere in between. This is only a generalisation. There is diversity within any race. White people can also have more oval hair strand cross-sections. So the statement that black hair and white hair are not the same requires a big asterisk and appropriately labeled a generalisation. There is overlap between races. If you don't admit that, you are heading into the territory of a false, generalised racial statement that a race has distinct characteristics. There's a special word for that. Starts with r.

Reply #879338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't bother. The SJW's of the world have taken over. The fear of being labelled Racist and the Social Media pressure that comes with it too much for a financially limited not for profit like BA.

BA has provided 100s of black players an opportunity to be paid to play the game. There's NO proof the organisation is racist.

She was asked to tie her hair in a way it was safe to all players. She refused and instead had a rant and turned a safety issue into a racism one. She and others like her make it 10 times harder for those who are fighting actual racism.

https://twitter.com/OzSportsGuy/status/1470311708434468865/photo/1

This is not fair to every other player in the League. Every single girl playing basketball in this Country should now plat or wear their hair in a style that can be used as a weapon to gain an advantaged.

The world has gone mad. She was asked to tie her hair in a safe way FFS!!

Reply #879340 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Happy to see this rule abolished as it has been in every other country. I imagine those "its for safety!" people will be able to find countless examples of career threatening injuries from free braids yeah?

Reply #879342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because being forced to tie your hair up is career ending? Apples with apples.

Reply #879345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Netball Australia Rules

RULE 5. MATCH PERSONNEL
(i) [Rule 5.1.1 (iv)]. Prior to the match the umpires check the players in
their respective changing rooms to ensure they meet all requirements.
(a) It is recommended that both umpires are together to carry out the
check of each team.
(b) Umpires should remind players to check they are not wearing any
adornments or jewellery before carrying out the inspection.
(c) Umpires should be satisfied that hair is suitably tied back so as not
to provide a hazard or distraction for other players on the court.

So Netball Australia is racist?

Reply #879348 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

People are pathetic. How hard is it to tie your hair in a way that isn't going to whip people? Yes, I personally have been whipped by people who have their hair in plaits/braids from both white and black opposition. If a gentle sport like Netball enforces it, why not basketball? Her hair extensions are very long, she chose to go with that hairstyle as a professional athlete. Sometimes when you're a pro athlete you have to forgo things the general population don't. The court is essentially her "work place."

She doesn't want to change her hairstyle to make it more comfortable for anyone else around her, so that's somehow a race issue? Please.

It's nothing to do with race.

Reply #879351 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Wow... Kobe Rulez is here right on cue!

It's a rule that was meant to have safety purpose and that is really all there is to it. Of course, being 2021, we have to take the racist injustice angle as we cant just say "eh, that's a silly rule". Everything has to be put on turbo and turned into something it never was, as though these evil ivory tower white slave owners were seeking to colonize the hair of African-American females.

If white people were fashioning their hair into hard spikes I am sure there would be rules about having your hair as hard spikes and no one would gasp are ask "wont somebody PLEASE think of the children!?!?!" But the Helen LoveJoys are out in force over the braids "issue".

And I don't believe the rule is that you cant have braids. More that they have to be tied back. Are there white women playing with their hair not tied back that I've become unaware of?

I am pretty sure having your hair tied back is just standard procedure. But if you ask that black women do the same, you're clearly some sort of Jim Crow segregationist who wants to force her to the back of the bus.

Look... it's absolutely ridiculous that this became a race issue. There is no reason a white woman couldn't come to the same problems wearing a similar hair do with her hair swinging around on a basketball court. This Tiff character has cried racism because, we all know it's the quickest way to get a response. As soon as you yell "racism" in place of the word "jump" the response is immediately "how high!?!?!?"

Out come the grovelling apologies, the calls to "do better", the name of Basketball Australia is besmirched, and Liz Cambage can snap her fingers, shake her head and go "ahmmmm hmmm!"

But in reality all Basketball Australia is guilty of in this instance is not retiring a rule that FIBA had already retired, rightly or wrongly. They opened themselves up to this criticism but of course the criticism is absolute garbage and just being weaponized by race baiters to cause division where there need not be any.

Reply #879352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even the West Australian photo along with this stroy includes a photo of Mitchell with her hair tied up!

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/ba-apologises-after-braids-policy-fail-c-4940784

So she can do it! That's all she was asked to do. Wasn't racist then, isn't now.

Reply #879354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That might be the closest ME has ever come to saying something sensible in a discussion involving race. Maybe there is hope for him/her after all.
I don't think the original rule was in any way racially motivated. Getting rid of it when FIBA did was an unfortunate oversight but it got resolved very quickly once it was brought up. I have mixed feelings about people playing the race card. Sometimes it feels unnecessarily accusatory. But in the end I think white people sucking it up and getting on with it without being offended is a pretty small sacrifice compared to centuries of disgusting systemic abuse.

Reply #879355 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There is a lot of the talk about black hair, white hair that I've seen written as well. It's totally irrelevant. If I work at a workplace, I cant just do my hair in any way I want to. If I choose to shave a bald spot in the middle of my head as a joke, as a customer service role I'd probably be fired or taken off work until I take my appearance seriously.

If you work at McDonalds, you tie your hair back and you put your hair in a net.

There is NOTHING vaguely racist about asking someone to tie their hair back for their job. Nothing. Black people don't absolutely have to have their hair flowing every moment of their lives, just as white people do not have to either. You're on the job. If you're asked to tie your hair back... you tie your hair back. No one is asking you to shave your head or make your hair a different texture.

This is ridiculous. But it's 2021. Ridiculous is the new normal

Reply #879356 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

snap her fingers, shake her head and go "ahmmmm hmmm!"
Jesus fucking Christ, dude.

Reply #879357 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

wow ME right on cue to cry about something which won't affect him in the slightest and claim others have a victim mentality

Reply #879358 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Jesus fucking Christ, dude."

Yep... cant make a joke anymore. Clutches pearls!

"wow ME right on cue to cry about something which won't affect him in the slightest and claim others have a victim mentality"

Well.. what is this forum even for? Who is being directly effected by anything written here? Who is having a cry? Cant have an opinion on absolute BS happening around you unless it affects your life specifically?

Reply #879361 | Report this post

Ashley  
Years ago

ME is spot on.

So Cayla George can now go get braided hair extensions that flick everywhere and if anyone she's playing on complains it's......racist? Get real.

As a complete side bar, that isn't even Mitchell's real hair. No one is asking her to take them out, they're asking her to tie them in a way which isn't effecting others. Are we really that bratty now that that is considered racist? Stuff me.

Reply #879363 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Cry some more ME

Reply #879364 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Next asking players to trim their finger nails will be racist. It's coming. I am sure of it.

Reply #879365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RULE NO. 2—OFFICIALS AND THEIR DUTIES
Section II—Duties of the Officials
b. The officials shall not permit players to play with any type of jewelry.
c. The officials shall not permit any player to wear equipment which, in their judgment, is dangerous to other players.

Wouldn't hair extentions be considered jewelry or equipment which is dangerous to others.

So the WNBA rules could also apply in this case.

Reply #879366 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Other than telling me "to cry some more" can you even debate the point I've made?

No. Neiother can KobeRulez, and that's why you've settled on abject horror and stupid one-liners.

Reply #879367 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The WNBL have agreed with the rest of the world bodies that the rule was unnecessary and have acted accordingly. End of story. Keep crying though

Reply #879370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you can't win an arguement on the facts, get personal. Deflection, distract.

Reply #879371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, thw world bodies have not made that decision. That's a huge misinterpretation. The current rules cover this instance already.
And players generally have more respect for their fellow players safety that it was irrelevant.

They didn't all come together and decide the rule was racist. Just that it didn't need to be singled out specifically when the rule book is already over 100 pages, plus has further explanations attached as well.

Reply #879372 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"When you can't win an arguement on the facts, get personal. Deflection, distract"

You mean like this?

"Wow... Kobe Rulez is here right on cue"

"The SJW's of the world have taken over"

"People are pathetic"

"Next asking players to trim their finger nails will be racist. It's coming. I am sure of it."

"Liz Cambage can snap her fingers, shake her head and go "ahmmmm hmmm!""

Reply #879374 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Liz Cambage very literally would do that so I don't see how that's offensive. It'll probably be the next Instagram video she posts.

Cram and KobeRulez are just very excitable SJWs. They forget that around my one-liners I've made points and they haven't.

Reply #879375 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Here's the only point that matters: Its been decided and nobody cares whether you agree with it or not

Reply #879376 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

No one cares if you do either... funnily enough more people agree with me than you. But regardless, I am going to air my opinion and you're going to continue to see and hear about it, whether or not you care or want to. I hope that makes you feel really good :)

Reply #879377 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Cool, i'll let you get back to your little circle jerk then

Reply #879378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you think Hoops exists for?

Discussion and opinions on the goings on in basketball right?

This isn't the place where rules are written. If your best response to an opinion you disagree with is "Cry some more ME" maybe you should stay away from opinion forums altogether.

Reply #879379 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Liz Cambage very literally would do that so I don't see how that's offensive.
You don't see how racist caricatures are offensive because you're a racist.

As such, this debate is pointless.

Reply #879380 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I challenge Cram and KobeRulez to a push up competition. For me to win I have to beat the combined number of push ups that you do between you. I am confident I can win before even waking up properly for the day.

Reply #879381 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Waaah racist caricatures"

White people cant dance, jump, sing and are generally uncool.

Anyone offended? No? Thought not.

Reply #879382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram, Kobe .... Netball has the same hair policy as BA did.

Are you saying World Netball and Netball Australia are racist?

Reply #879387 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Cram, Kobe .... Netball has the same hair policy as BA did.

Are you saying World Netball and Netball Australia are racist?"

We all know what answer they're going to give. It will be a very nuanced and well thought "yes, because everything is racist"

Reply #879388 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This should not really be about race.

BA tried to enforce a rule that is no longer required by FIBA.

They were wrong, they have fixed it.

Move on right?

Reply #879392 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Netball doesn't have the policy in question, so it's a moot point.

Reply #879393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually......

Netball Australia Rules

RULE 5. MATCH PERSONNEL

(b) Umpires should remind players to check they are not wearing any
adornments or jewellery before carrying out the inspection.
(c) Umpires should be satisfied that hair is suitably tied back so as not
to provide a hazard or distraction for other players on the court.

Reply #879394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So taking out all the cry's of racist out of the discussion - Does this know mean that juniors can how wear their hair however they like and no more nail checks?

Reply #879395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes all hairstyles are fine now.

Reply #879396 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The former FIBA policy in question requires hair to be tied up, not just back.

Reply #879397 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Cram, Kobe .... Netball has the same hair policy as BA did.

Are you saying World Netball and Netball Australia are racist"

Where did I call BA racist? Or bring up race at all?

Reply #879399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as expected ..... escaping on techinicalities.

Never ever change guys. You're too fun

Reply #879400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steph Curry breaks a record?
silence

Patty Mills pours in 30 in an OT win?
silence

A decision goes in favour of a black woman?
QUICK!!! TO THE KEYBOARDS!!!!

Reply #879401 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"The former FIBA policy in question requires hair to be tied up, not just back."

The inference would have been that the hair wasnt swinging around I am very very very sure.

Reply #879404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"White people cant dance, jump, sing and are generally uncool."

Doesn't really carry the same weight of hundreds of years of discrimination and systemic racism does it? Hence why even if I don’t see it as an issue of race I’m not going to have a never ending sook about woke culture.

Reply #879407 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

It used to be enforced on-court, like long finger-nails, they were considered "weapons". Some girls (yes, in them days, us boys wore short hair, with Brylcream, if you must know.) actually swung their heads(on purpose) to get opponents with a hefty smack of braided hair, usually to the head/face area naturally!

Reply #879408 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

White people cant dance, jump, sing and are generally uncool.
Anyone offended? No? Thought not.

One of the most disingenuous/ignorant things one could possibly write about racial stereotyping and ME is its author?
Anyone surprised? No? Thought not.

Reply #879411 | Report this post

Ashley  
Years ago

Steph Curry breaks a record?
silence ---- this is completely false. I've seen it multiple times today.

Patty Mills pours in 30 in an OT win?
silence ------ Also false.

A decision goes in favour of a black woman?
QUICK!!! TO THE KEYBOARDS!!! ----- In favour of someone throwing a fit because they don't want to respect anyone else around them? If a white woman threw a fit because she didn't want to cut her fingernails, I doubt it would be overturned.

Mitchell made it about race as she knew she would get her own way. She decided to get hair extensions which aren't practical in the arena she works in, but no one is allowed to say that.

Reply #879416 | Report this post

Ashley  
Years ago

Actually I take that back, her extensions could be acceptable if she tied them in a way which didn't have them flicking everywhere.

Reply #879417 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

No mention yet of Jordair Jett in the NBL - how did HE wear his hair?

Reply #879419 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Damn, you beat me to the jump with the jordair Jett comment. Those things were like weapons. When I saw him post-crocs playing against the marlins in the qbl he nearly knocked a few people out.

Reply #879421 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I ask the question on jewelery because at the Olympics,Junior world championships nad other games a lot of the female players had ear rings in and taped over.Now according to the rules that is not allowed because it can still be dangeroud to opposition players.

So why did the refs allow them to play with them in.

Reply #879423 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Because contrary to your assertion, the rules allow it.

Reply #879425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because in FIBA the Commissioner is god and not the referee's

Reply #879430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still don't understand how its a racist thing - Summer games are always fun in Vic as everyone comes back from Bali with hair full of beads, those things are a weapon, but guess they are all ok now

Reply #879452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one with a shred of logic thinks its racist.

Reply #879467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, racism in general has become one of the biggest and most resonant topics in American sport in general and in the NBA in particular. Politics has recently been added to this complex issue, causing a real boom. It would be more accurate to say that politics itself has been "mixed in". US President Donald Trump is drawing a lot of criticism with his statements, including from NBA superstars.

Reply #880419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754